Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,297
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

A little like blending gin with a Pale Ale. An interesting blend of hops, not aggressively bitter (certainly not as bitter as my usual preference)but with a pleasant enough muted edge. A little thin on the palatte. I can imagine drinking this beer, poolside, on a hot summer day. I popped a lemon slice into my second glass and it gave the beer a mildly pleasant sour taste like a mixed drink. Not my favorite Rogue (there's no such thing as a bad one)but I'd have another should the occasion arise. (499 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -27.2%

A: medium orange hue with a fluffy head that settles into some larger bubbles

S: the smell of this is just plain funky... it smells a little like rice pudding, also kind of musty, old and dusty?

T: some hops... some similarities to Bass. Tastes dusty, old, and funky. after a couple sips i start to get more of the juniper and camping smells and taste. Something is just out of whack with this one.

M: feels ok, pretty average in terms of carbonation and smoothness

D: nope, could barely finish one glass.

Note: perhaps this would work better if you used it to cook with or paired it with a meal that would bring out certain flavors. by itself however, not too enjoyable. (676 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle poured into glass mug

A: Pours a pale yellow with two fingers of white head that lingers for a few seconds then slowly dissipates, leaving a little lacing on the sides of the glass and some floating foam on the top

S: Very strong floral aroma, with some bitterness on the nose and some pale malts

T: Tastes of pine, with some malt and juniper berry flavor. Its bitter, but not from the hops as much as the juniper berries. This is a very unique pale ale. As it warms, the juniper begins to stand out a bit more

M: Not overly carbonated and a bit watery, but it works for this beer. Leaves a bit of an oily residue in the mouth after swallowing.

D: Not overbearingly heavy or bitter, I could drink a few of these in one sitting

Overall, this is a very good beer. This is both my first juniper beer, and my first Rogue ale, and I will definitely be seeking out more Rogue beers (894 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: A hazy golden yellow with a finger head that dissipates fairly quickly. Pretty good amount of lacing.

Smell: Honey juniper lemon, possibly orange.

Taste: A bit tart and piny, a touch lemony.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a round transitioning to dry feel a bit carbonated.

Drinkability: Very drinkable aside from the touch of dryness at the end. (356 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pale sunshiny yellow color. Very golden incandescent bottom, with a darker honey near the head. Light, straw colored head that left little lacing. This beer looked like a summery ginger ale mixed cocktail.

S- Nose immediately hit me with fresh honeycomb, pine, and lemon atop a pale malt backbone. I noticed as it warmed more of a citrus element to the hops and faint blackberries. Lots of dried, crusted honey.

T- Smooth, moderately earthy pale malt flavor with light grass and hay that meld with spicy fruit and honey. Finishes with a surprisingly crisp hop kick of pine, spruce, and mint; the spicy bitterness is an enjoyable balance to the flavor hops. Sweeter characters of light fruits, biscuits, and apricots shined even more as it warmed.

MF- Clean flavor profile with a sweet, slightly oily body. Surprising lingering hop activity on the tongue with an aftertaste of faint menthol and mint in the throat. Banana like wax texture pairs with a mild syrupy body.

O- A gentle, earthy, plant-like pale ale with some added fruity sweetness and spice. Still had body, mouthfeel was a bit odd, but this could be a great beer for an occasion or food pairing, or even to throw at someone who typically prefers wine or sugary cocktails. Maybe this could act as a gateway beer? (1,281 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%

I used to drink this when it was called Yellow Snow ale, and I seriously had no idea that it had juniper berries in it because I couldn't taste anything fruity- and that's still the case. Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with practically no head. Aroma is balanced, with some citrusy hop flavors and a good amount of malt showing through. Taste is really balanced too, which makes this a good beer to introduce non-BAs into craft beer. The hops I would say are a little more powerful than the malt, with a lemony taste still on my tongue 10 minutes after finishing, but not over powering hop flavor like Hazed and Infused. An above average pale ale. (656 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15%

Bartender served with a head that looked more like lacing. Dark olden in colour, and fairly clear. The Juniper flavour seemed to get lost in the excessive hoppinness early on. Not much malts, and it finished off a little disappointing to be honest. It did look and smell nice, if only the flavour had more resembled its appearance. Interesting, but nothing to write home about. (377 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Pale golden, white head, leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Light, sweet and some fruit I don't recognize. Must be the junipers.

T: Much better than the smell, still the same as above but more pleasant. Aftertaste is bitter along with the new taste experience of juniper.

O: Nice beer, will drink again if found again in my hometown. (332 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - A nice golden yellow. Crystal clear and a nice 1 finger head that stayed with the whole glass.

S - Getting the earthy tones, some malt, but mostly earthy hops.

T - I am quite intrigued with this beer. First off on the tounge is spice. It is somewhat tart, yet not sour, but packs a punch. After swallowing a earthy tastes is left in my mouth. It is resiny. Not bad, but just there.

M - It is mod. to high carb. Nothing wrong here.

D - I got a 6 pack and I have had 2. I will probably have another but I am not craving it. It is good, but nothing that I'd make a night of drinking. I am glad I tried it though. (617 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

A - yellow gold with a head at first that dissipated into nothing

S - some hops even malt slight bit of fruit

T - a slight tang with a slight sweetness with hops following with a slight and subtle bitter note some fruit and then hops again toward the end

M - very light carbonation that stays through

O - nice balance of tartness with bitterness of hops and other flavors keeping it interesting - not too bitter

Bottle poured into a glass (444 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Reviewing from memory - from previous night. On Tap into pint glass.

A: Amber / dark honey color -- it may have been lighter but the lighting was dim at the bar. Noticeable carbonation and one finger head.

S: Some sweet malts, and light pine hop bitterness.

T: Sweet maltiness, some citrus hop bitterness. Maybe some peppery/spiciness in there too.

M: Medium/lighter body. Light carbonation. Crisp and a little dry.

D: Nice aroma and flavors. You can slug this one back. I had a several of these at the bar. (514 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice golden yellow color,with 1 finger head.

S: Citrus hops. With a light bready hint.

T: A very good malty flavor with hints of citrus.the back end is a little dry and bitter.

M: Slighty dry but nice and light

O: Not like any other pale ale I've ever had. It has a unique taste that is very pleasing.I would for sure drink this again if it comes around.

Serving type: bottle (384 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz bottle into a tulip. Poured clear straw color with a 1/4 inch dense head.

Not much to note for smell. Subtle floral notes and perhaps a hint of juniper as it opens up. Subtle honey in the background.

A nicely bittered but standard pale ale that develops complexity as it warms. Not much juniper although there is a metallic finish that could be juniper. Yummy combination of hops adds body.

Quite a bit of carbonation which seems to mask some of the understated elements.

This could be a session beer for me. Refreshing and the juniper is not at all overpowering. A good, of not basic pale ale. (606 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

I'm gonna make this one quick... hopefully...

pours a nice clear gold with a touch of opacity... but overall pretty clear. nice 2 finger head subsides very quickly. looks extremely refreshing, though I'd like to see a bit more lacing.

smells super refreshing as well... a touch estery with some faint hops. I don't pick up on the juniper very much at all... but it's sweet for sure.

wow!... green apple right at first and then some light bitter hops and the juniper come through... surprising how much juniper presents itself considering I didn't really pick it up on the nose. finishes a touch bready... it's nice.

a touch light, but overall pretty nice... a bit astringent.

I could drink a lot of this... for a really long time. Thanks for another solid showing, rogue! (776 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Less than 1 finger head quickly dissipates but leaves a good eggshell-color layer throughout. Lacing is all but nonexistent. Color is extremely clear, burnt honey color with lighter yellow around the edges. Great effervescent carbonation.

S - Juniper and hops hit immediately, sweet malts, some caramel. All pretty faint, not much to smell.

T - Malt body is fairly earthy, leaning towards sweet. Juniper berries and spicy hops predominate, finish is very reminiscent of gin. Overall is fairly balanced and very refreshingly crisp.

M - On the lighter side with a good amount of carbonation, but serves well to keep the hops and juniper berries lively.

D - Very refreshing and smooth, a unique and successful spin on the pale ale style. (776 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -3%

Visual: Poured into a funky mason jar but still looks good. Dark copper-orange in color. Solid one-finger head with topo character that takes a a good 10 minutes to dip. leaves patchy lacing around glass.

Smell: Lemon grass, grains.

Taste: Grain and clementines complemented with a leafy, floral hop presence. grainy hop bitterness lingers.

Mouth: light feel in your mouth. low carbonation.

Drunkability: Lingering hop bitterness continually demands another drink so this brew could easily be a repetitive order.

Sidenote: what the hell is free range coastal water? is that worthy of advertisement? (604 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

22 oz. brown bottle. Great label! The picture on the bottle was what initially lured me towards this beer. I was expecting something really interesting, but alas, I was disapointed.

Upon opening this beer, I was met with a huge gush of beer spilling out. As I quickly grabbed my mug and poured this beer, I noticed a yellow/orange color to the beer, with a nice 1 inch white head. The smell of this beer was skunky to me- definately NOT what I was expecting from a Rogue beer. Tasting this beer was much like smelling this beer- somewhat skunky. I couldn't believe it! I actually felt like Iwas drinking a Heineken! "Could this be?" I wondered. The taste was bitter with loads of carbonation. No complex aftertaste. No floral or citrus bouquet. Very dry.

I love Rogue beers. I have come to cherish these beers, especially the Shakesphere Stout and the Mocha Porter. I am a big fan of of Pale Ales, too, and I thought that this offering would be an interesting twist to the somewhat mondane pale Ales I am so often presented with. I am disappointed with this beer, and might try it again only if I see it on tap again. Perhaps I got a bad bottle (?). Anyhow, this will not stop me from loving and trying as many Rogue beers as I possibly can....just maybe this one. (1,270 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Bomber poured into pint glass.

Pours golden with plenty of foam. Nose is of vanilla (or something to do with baking besides yeast), hops, and spice...seems pretty balanced. Just a touch of alcohol. Very crisp, spicy and actually quite light. Understated malt and hop flavor. Juniper is somewhat difficult to detect, although it's in there somewhere. Pretty good, definitely worth a try, but maybe not again any time soon. Not quite as much as I had hoped for especially for someone who likes gin as much as I do. (513 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Bright gold with a nice frothy head. Head settled to just a sliver leaving plenty of lace.

S: Light hops with a hint of citrus and malt.

T: Pale malt, light hoppiness. Not much juniper, which was a bit of a disappointment.

M: Clean, crisp and smooth.

D: Easy to drink. I just wish that there was more juniper. Rogue brews some big flavors and I was surprised to find this was a bit ordinary. (398 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -12%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy gold with a small white head and no lacing.

S: Biscuity malts and... corn? A little spicy hop character.

T: Unexpectly light on the malt flavor. More slightly biscuity and corn flavor. Quite a nice substantial spicy hoppiness. When it's cold, I'm getting very little juniper flavor. It's just there behind the hops. Remarkably close to a cream ale in my opinion--a little bit like a spicier version of Spotted Cow.

M: Very light and clean.

I'm really disappointed in the lack of juniper flavor in this beer, but moreover it's not really that great a pale ale. (572 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I liked it! Almost no head on the golden-amber colored ale. Nose had bread-like maltiness with a background of spiciness and piney juniper berries. Taste was the best part, a wonderful balance of malt, hop and spice. A honey, bread malt invites you in, followed by the spice, very piney-notes that come from the conifer juniper berries. The berries are completed with some gentle, but noticeable hops, floral and citrusy in nature like a weak IPA which really wrap it up to a crisp and slightly bitter end to balance out the malt and sweetness present throughout.

I disagree with all the average reviews, this juniper ale was a well-balanced, juniper pine spices were quite noticeable, which went great with the honey malt flavors and the hops at the finish. Worth getting again. (781 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pale ale? Maybe a little haze, but this one is too golden and translucent to be called a pale ale in my book, so I got to take it down a notch. But I'd be lying to say this doesn't look crispy and delicious. Slight &
S: The slight gin flavor seems to broaden and deepen the hops while keeping everything somewhat muted.
T: You would expect a more interesting taste, but even so it's a nice, mellow flavor, even keeled and balanced.
M: Crispy, bubbly. Well-developed, but easily distinguished as an evolving flavor.
D: I drink a six pack of Sierra Nevada, and I'm feeling like I've eaten a big meal. These pale ales go down easy but leave your tongue wanting it bit more. Just to say it's not too heavy but has a somewhat satisfying taste. (744 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into pilsner. Nice vanilla head with minimal lacing. nice and simple golden color. Smells good and malty with good hops. The taste is nice and buttery, maybe caramel. Lots of carbonation and very drinkable. regular mouthfeel. Overall nice beer, its a rogue what can I say. I recommend it to anyone. (305 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -8.2%

Had a deeper orange color than previous pales, apricoty? Pretty much straight dry and hops. Something interesting about the hop notes. Managed to be light on the taste and mouthfeel like a lager but still having a nice kick of hops.

Refreshing and easy drinking but definitely stood out from the normal pale ale options.

If it were only available in six packs I'd start reaching for it instead of the other stand by pales. (426 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

I would not recommend this beer. The feel was assaulting and there was barely a hint of Juniper in it. I love Rogue and most of the beers I've had from them have been superb. That being said, you can't win them all and this beer is proof that even Rogue produces duds every once in a while. (293 characters)

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales