Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 675 | Hads: 1,297
3.22/5  rDev -12.3%

Don't waste the money.
This is a mediocre beer sold at a premium price.
The juniper flavor is nice but not well pronounced.
Other than that, this beer seemed to me like another lower-end pale ale. I guess if I could get a six-pack of it for the same price I just paid for the 22 oz bomber, I would buy it again and be happy. (326 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -26.7%

This is my first review. I'm not sure why I decided to start reviewing with a beer I didn't care for, but here you go.

A: Very slightly cloudy dark yellow. A moderate head out of the 22oz bomber, which dissipates into a thin foam film, soon dying altogether.

S: Almost none. Basically a light lager smell.

T: Not what I'd hoped for. Dry and rather bitter, on top of a serviceable pale ale. I got this because I like gin, but I get only a very small amount of the juniper berry bite that makes gin work. And that's really only on the finish. If I didn't know this was made with juniper berries, I'd never guess. I was looking for juniper and spice, but didn't get it. Warming did help a bit, so it might be worth letting this beer warm before even starting.

M: Not particularly thick, but solid. Good here. A fair bit of carbonation released on the way down.

D: Not liking bitter pale ales without a range of spice flavors, one bottle is more than I really wanted. (968 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

I love Rogue Brewery and will always opt to taste something new if I see it. This one popped out so I had to give it a try.

The appearance is a bit cloudy with a golden blonde pale hue. No head whatsoever and not much lacing. On the nose it is a bit boring, yet shines with a dry sweetness. I am not getting much Juniper, which is disappointing to say the least. The flavor isn't giving much Juniper either due to an overwhelming sense of hop flavor. It is a bit of a full mouthfeel with not much balance through the palate. There is a bit of an earthy, dry finish with little or no resonance to the initial flavor.

For me, this beer is missing something... I can't put my finger on it. I'm glad I tried it, but will opt for the Yellow Snow when it comes to Rogue pale ales. (777 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

a
hazy honey color. thin white head leaving some lacing. doesn't
foam up a lot and what does settled quickly

s
piney. a little hoppy. not a whole lot of fragrance. very subtle.

t
floral. spice. a little hops. a little pine. sweet then bitter. almost
warm to the tongue. metallic aftertaste - the only thing i don't
really like about it.

m
medium body and carbonation. juicy.

o
liked the combination of floral and spice with subtle hops and
bitterness. like the initial taste and mouth taste, not the
aftertaste so much. (528 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer for the first time tonight at a restaurant. This is a solid beer that went really well with my meal.

Poured golden into a standard pint glass. Had a very small white head that didn't last long.

Smells of juniper, honey, malt and slight fruitiness. Nice smell overall.

Taste is really clean and crisp. Upfront, I get a strong juniper flavor followed by honey, floral hops and citrus. Slight bitterness. Very drinkable.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Good carbonation.

I will definitely have this beer again. It's refreshing and I could easily put back several of these. Would like to try this one on draft. (630 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured with – tiny bubbles......pretty orange/gold color, white head, and nice lace. Signature Rogue hoppiness but this one has some floral spicy kick to it as well. The hops are well balanced with a nice malt flavor. Very drinkable – I could knock back many of these. (270 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Looks great. Has that perfect, golden honey look.

S - A rather faint smell. Not the most aromatic beer, definitely a pleasant fruit smell, although I've never really seen/smelled a juniper berry.

T - Great taste! Definitely not a super fruity beer. If you're working your way into IPAs, this is perfect. You get that great quality IPA taste, but not superloaded with hops. Accents of the juniper berries make a wonderfully citrus complement.

M - Feels good. Doesn't dry out your mouth, the bitterness of the hops leaves your mouth salivating for a little bit after.

D - Possibly the most drinkable IPA for me. I feel like someone took a Bell's Two-Hearted Ale and dropped a few berries in it and now I'm drinking it. Delicious. (737 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into pint with a thin head.

Color was a golden color with some haziness to it.

Smelled a bit of sweet honey and spice along with the hops.

Taste was hoppy with an easy dry finish.

Shared this one with 3 others as we tryed numerous beers that night and all of us like this one. (296 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Great head. Thought it was maybe overfermented; but could not find a best by date. The carbonation was overflowing out of the 22, but when poured into glasses it had about a one inch head. (as a sidenote; this beer was served at around 8000 ft. elevation and brewed at around sea-level) Nonetheless This was a delicious american pale ale from Rogue. Not quite as much juniper flavor as I had expected though. With the price of beer rising, and this one was five bucks, it was well worth the buy, but only for a try. I will usually buy based on pricepoint and this brewery usually aims just above my line. But always worth a taste of something new and interesting. (663 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%

It's your Hopster here. Blogging on another lonely cold Thursday night. Some people think the world ending is a bad thing- Not me. I pray for it all to end where i can cloud surf with my heavenly father.

Oh Yea let me review this beer

It has a light yellow pour with the a very small amount of head. I'm not really coming across much of a berry flavor. But the beer does feel pretty smooth upon entering the palate.

Overall this is ok. I wouldnt turn it down if handed to me. But its nothing to rave about (508 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange yellow colored with thick white head of foam

S: citrus, fruity, hop aroma, also I get a hint of honey from the smell

T: light, sweet, smooth, berries, honey, no bitterness

M: covers your palate with honey and fruit

O: It is a really enjoyable beer, reminds me of Spring time and has a great drink ability. I absolutely love this beer because it is surprisingly light, the experience I have with Rogue is usually a large big beer taste (which I typically favor). I like the strong fruit flavors from this beer. (524 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

I was surprised by the light color of this beer. It was almost yellow in color, the bottle describes it as saffron, but I'd say that "straw" would be more accurate. The cloud-like head was not a surprise - Rogue knows what they are doing.

I didn't really notice the Juniper at first, but it became more apparent as I drank more. There's a very malty smell and taste, and the finish stands out as having a very sharp bite. It's good. Very good. (446 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Look: Golden with a thick creamy head

Aroma: Soft floral aroma with light hops

Taste: Creamy palate with fresh almost astringent green hops

Found this ale to be full of promise on the aroma but somewhat disappointing in the taste with the astringency of the hops removing any hope of a rewarding complex and floral taste. Overall an ok beer but for sessionability it is best to followe it with something slightly more balanced. (430 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Cloudy light copper color. Soft white head with moderate head retention. Giving way to a light lace along the glass.

S- Sweet malt with decent hop aroma and yeast. A slight berry hint as well.

T- Definete malty sweetness followed by substancial bitterness. The biterness gives way to juniper berries and finishes with decent amount of hop flavor. Maltiness almost had a buttery hint to it..

M- Full bodied with mild carbonation. The hops and juniper berries combine to give it an exotic tengling mouthfeel.

D- All on all a note worthy brew. Very interesting and memorable. Not a session beer but one i will enjoy again. (626 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +33%

My dream in life is to hook up with my friend Fred Savage and hitchhike to Meth Mountain in Oregon because not only is it a beautiful state, but the beer is divine. My only goal besides shooting meth would be to take the Rogue brewery tour. The Juniper Pale Ale is exquisite reminding me of how much I used to love sipping Hi-C after a hard day of water polo. (359 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

S- out of bottle into glass

A- golden haze with nice head

S- hops, berry, hint of pine?

T- This beer is clean and crisp throughout with a little hoppy bite. Starts off berry, then the hops hit you, not hard, just enuff to leave you wanting a little more then a piney tast with a sweet somewhat tart finish.

O- Rogue sometimes dosent get enuff credit IMO b/c they have been making good beer for a long time. There are not the latest and greatest but everytime I pick one up Im pleased. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've had this brew and will continue to pick it up as the spring seasons come and go. Its an enjoyable citrus pale ale thats not going to knock your socks off but will satisfy most pale ale lovers taste bubs year in and out. (741 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

- Gotta love the big bubba bottle, the name, and the victorious skier dude with mutt print!
- A clear, honey-colored ale with a white, fizzy head that rapidly dissipates.
- Floral and fruity hops invade the nostrils, supported by an underlayer of malt and a touch of spice.
- Smooth, malty body with fairly dynamic carbonation. Hops are ubiquitous, but not overbearing. Dry, spicy, mildly bitter finish.
- A highly drinkable pale ale with a unique twinge imparted by juniper berries. Another round, bartender! (515 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Thought this would be a try-once bottle but we've had at least a sixer. Very drinkable and not as much juniper considering the name. The pretty hop aromatics are assertive and complex. Would make a great everyday pale ale if it was local. One of my favorite Rogues. (265 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -47.7%

A - I poured the beer more heavy handed than I should have and it had about 3 1/2 fingers of head. The color was a dirty yellow, not quite opaque. It resembled dehydrated urine. The head died down pretty quickly and left blotches of foam on the top.

S - It smells like an average American lager but with an oily twinge.

T - The taste is slightly pungent and has an oily bitter flavor. It reminds me of the taste of leaves, grass, or an unripened berry you may have accidentally tried as a kid. I actually don't like the taste, and I do not think it would grow on me. For some it might be a pleasurable change, but this beer is simply not for me.

M - Mouthfeel was average carbonation and slightly oily.

O - Terrible beer on my palette. It wasn't the quality, just the taste does not suit my liking. (804 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

Wow, I love this beer!

I'm watching the final between Spain and Germany and want a GOOD session beer to drink away while getting futbol'd.

This beer is CREAMY! I love IPA's but they can be a bit much one after the other IMO, this one is milder in flavor than say a DFA 90 minute, but what makes it get such high marks the the creamy texture and aftertaste.

Nice balance of bite, smooth, and aftertaste. One of my favorite everyday beers. (442 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First time I had seen this by Rogue- at the Swingbridge beer and wine Topsail Island NC.
Purchased 7/11/13.

Never had a Juniper before or heard of this one by Rogue even, though I love a lot of their product.

Reasonable price, bought a 6 pack cold.

First beer took a bit of getting used to- however after the 1st, I was hooked and really savored the remaining 5. Cannot find Juniper in Eastern PA. I feel this was a sessionable and very good Pale Ale and would recommend giving it a try for sure.

Mouthfeel was great- good carbonation but not overly done of course, I felt it was a very well balanced beer as well, Juniper evident but not overwhelming to the hops, finished nicely. Good summer sipping beer and very enjoyable, different from your run of the mill pale ales.

Definitely recommend a try- Rogue always has quality and it comes through here too.
7/14/2013 review (880 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Smooth pour with very little head. Deep amber color; inviting. This beer is made using juniper berries and I smell a variety of scents: spicy, piney, citrusy. This beer is smoothly balanced and fits the style well.

This beer is light and goes down easy with a dry finish. This is a relaxing beer to drink. With just a 650 ml bottle, I'm disappointed that this is the only I have at the moment. The price ($3.99) is reasonable for such a quality brew. (453 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

I received the Yellow Snow Pale Ale (an alias for the Juniper Pale Ale, as I am informed by beeradvocate) as a secret santa gift from our beer club. This was a good representation of the style, as Rogue continues to not disappoint. A great hoppy aroma, and a really nice IPA taste. This is definitely a beer that I could stay with all night.
One of the measures that our beer club uses is "would you buy a six pack of it?" and my answer would be yes... (453 characters)

This ale was a great choice for me. If you're looking for something that isnt too heavy and has a really clean finish I highly suggest this choice. I'm not big on the real hoppy stuff, but I do want to taste it. This was perfect for that. Like i said it was had a clean finish, and was very refreshing. The place I was at had alot of taps, and many more I wanted to try, but i couldnt get enough of this one, i had 3 and was completely satisfied just having tasted this one. (474 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Pours light golden with a frothy but not so dense white head. Lighter than expected. Head retention and lacing are minimal.

S: Immediately identified as a northwestern style. Crisp, fresh, piney aroma. No Juniper detected (not that I know juniper taste except from Gin) but very pleasent and moderately intense aroma.

T: I think there is some Juniper here! Very nice subtle maltiness as well. The juniper is a very subtle compliment to the forward but not overwhelming hoppiness.

M: Quite highly carbonated but that suits this beer I think. Thin texture. Finishes Dry.

D: 650ml didn't last long. I immediately wished I had another one.

Bottom line: Rogue, you make very nice, but not exceptional, beers. Cut your advertising budget, sell these beers for $6 instead of $8. (779 characters)

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales