Juniper Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.30% ABV

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juniper Pale Ale Alström Bros
afsdan

Colorado

05-22-2014 17:50:21 | More by afsdan
xnicknj

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

22oz bottle into large tulip

Clear golden pour with a fluff of white head resting on top, leaving some thin retention and spotty lacing on the glass.

Piny, floral hoppy nose with sprucy, juniper notes. The evergreen tree aspect is subdued, but still apparent, alongside a mild toasted grain backbone.

Mellow pine and floral hop bitterness up front kisses the tongue, followed by spruce and juniper notes. Grainy, toasted backbone with hints of bread, caramel and sweetness. Finishes a bit herbal with a lingering notion of...well, trees.

Medium body, decent carbonation, crisp and clean on the tongue. I was able to detect some juniper elements here, but I was really hoping for some more expressive flavor, especially in the hop profile.

02-02-2013 04:35:53 | More by xnicknj
scruffwhor

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Just so everyone knows, this was Yellow Snow, not Juniper Pale ale. Thats what the bottle told me. The old Rogue patriach in yellow garb with is black lab under his arm.

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance- A pour as hard as my pee yielded only a finger and a half head into my mug. After about halfway through drinking it, there was no foam to be seen as well as lacing. Color was a slightly hazy middle amber, copper wire color.

Smell- Amedium strength flora hop aroma. But I could tell a lot of these hops are from the northwest. Very punchy. Hop smell balanced very well with the bready malts.

Taste- Starts out like your average English pale ale, but with a more distinct hop character. This pale ale lets you know its there. It wants your attention. A watered down bread flavor quickly meets with the potent hop flavor. Not overdone with the hops though. Pretty good balance between the citric hop flavor of biting into a grapefruit and the rye bread flavor of the malt.

Mouthfeel- A little sharp on the bitterness and a slight hint of acidty. The malt makes a cameo on the palate. Mostly bitter and citice. A little one sided.

03-18-2006 03:10:16 | More by scruffwhor
GarthDanielson

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass. The beer pours a cloudy orange-gold color with a sparse, foamy head about half an inch on pour that disappears as I write this. Not sure if I was expecting a nose full of gin smells, but I am pleasantly surprised by the subtle aromas; flowery and a hint of hops. The juniper absolutely comes through on the taste, and actually overpowers any taste of hops. It has a weird dynamic of being flowery and sour at the same time, and that doesn't necessarily blend all that well together. There is also a note of roasted barley somewhere deep down in the taste. The beer is dry and a bit harsh in mouth, with a sour aftertaste. Rough on the finish, this might be a tough bomber to polish off.

01-11-2011 01:25:48 | More by GarthDanielson
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

22oz bomber
I picked this up the other day as it sounded interresting.
Pours an amber with a bubbly white head one inch head that quickly faded to the sides of the glass. Aroma comes through with some caramel maltiness, some citrus fruit, and an slight almost medicinal smell. The taste is typical north american pale ale. Medium body with good carbonation.
A decent pale ale, I only wish the juniper was more pronounced. I felt that it was barely noticable.

11-17-2007 01:50:57 | More by johnnnniee
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a nice cloudy gold with a good head dissipates quickly but remains as a fine partial layer.

Smell is malty with citrus notes.

Taste is malt and more of the citrus. For me, it's a nice taste that I've enjoyed many times before and I'll have again without a whim. Good pale ale.

10-13-2005 23:39:02 | More by Bitterbill
flagmantho

Washington

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: light orange hue with a thin finger of rapidly-dissipating ivory foam head. Just a touch of haze; overall, not too bad.

Smell: slightly sweet caramel malt aroma with an earthy herbiness. I suppose this is the juniper, although I can't readily identify it as such. It reminds me a little bit of heather-seasoned beers. Not bad if you like earthy stuff.

Taste: slightly sweet, slightly dry caramel malt flavors with citrusy hops and an evergreen flavor. I think the juniper is rather nice here, but again, it's more of a general herbiness. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nice level of carbonation. There's a good creaminess here.

Drinkability: quite a refreshing and quaffable beverage. The overall impression is greater than the sum of its parts.

05-06-2010 00:52:56 | More by flagmantho
DrDemento456

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Snagged a bomber of this for 5 bucks at my local House of 1,000 beers.

A - A fairly clear dark red tinted yellow with some haze among its bubble body. Head has great lacing despite of just being a 1/4 inch that settles to a ring.
S - Has a sort of berry nose to it so it's not your typical pale ale. Other than that it smells of sweet malts, mild hops, and some bready body.
T - Well it goes down easy enough dispute the hops or whatever bitters they use (taste like spruce tips) It does have a sweet enough body to balance this bitterness but I can't really seem to enjoy it. Reminds me of licking an envelope in a way with BMC metallic-ness.
M - Very easy going its bubbly, crisp, and light to medium in body.

Overall in a way I am happy this beer is not skunked since I left it in the backseat of a hot car overnight but its close to it with bitters and pale malts it's just not that great.

05-21-2013 01:39:05 | More by DrDemento456
tavernjef

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

Slightly chill hazed golden straw yellow color with a magnificent, thickly based, crusty white head sitting atop. It slowly dwindles down to a never moving thick skim on top and the lacing in thickly strewn moth-holed sheets stick all over the place.

Pleasing aroma of lightly crisp malts, hinting at a load of other things; soft woods, earth, dust, citrus rinds, dried berry fruits, some leafy hop cones. Overall mildly light and refreshingly earthy crisp and fruity. Nice.

Wow, and the taste doesn't fall short on this either. Quite a nice little treat we have here. Hmmmm....crisp and fruity with little touches of the earthy/woody things floating around. Great hop balance and profile, slight citrus spice, berries and berry twigs and leaves thrown in too. Complexing with a favorable hoppy dryness from some Amarillo hop cones that finish it out with lightly mixes of fruity berry stuff.

Nice mouthfeel thats well rounded, crisp, drying for its finish, creamy middling, light grabbing texture of carbonation, and a nearly full body with more mediumness at the front and back. Remarkably yummy and drinkably fun.

This had been on my to-get list for sometime now and when I saw it I just had to grab it. The name alone is fancy,comically classy enough and I have pasted it up in the past til today and now I realize I shouldn't have done that. I'm rambling...good stuff! Get it, drink it, and enjoy...I did.

06-03-2004 23:40:45 | More by tavernjef
Cyberkedi

Georgia

Had as Yellow Snow Ale.

Pours a clear orangy amber with an off-white head. Rich, malty, spicy and slightly hoppy aroma is quite appetizing. Flavor is malty and spicy and surprisingly hoppy, more so than the aroma suggests. Texture is pleasingly smooth.

12-07-2008 03:26:00 | More by Cyberkedi
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

06-29-2013 15:55:53 | More by WOLFGANG
tone77

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mild, some berries. Taste is of sour berries with hops, not bad but nothing great. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent but unspectacular beer.

03-04-2010 15:21:23 | More by tone77
Hopheadjeffery

08-01-2013 14:19:27 | More by Hopheadjeffery
ZAP

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

A very interesting beer. A very exciting aroma...floral hops evident in smell but there is a different smell there as well (I'm guessing it's the Juniper berries)..The appearance is goldish, but a bit cloudy...seemed a bit charged up to0 with some frothy foam head...Taste is on the light side in regards to maltiness, but has a unique hop bite. Not overhopped though..Very interesting and definitely worth the purchase, but not one of my favorite styles...

Re-rate 12/7/02..Adjusted the ratings a little...nose is unremarkable...kind of a grassy hop texture to it....the Juniper is very hidden in the taste and nose....this time it wasn't charged up at all...I'm not real high on this beer...it's OK but not as good as I expect a Rogue winter seasonal to be..

01-25-2002 02:16:23 | More by ZAP
RBorsato

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

Hazy orange-ish yellow (saffron? - not really) color with a moderate to low ivory head, decent carbonation, and sheets of lace. Light floral hoppy and fruity aroma along the lines of an American Pale Ale. Decent balanced flavor but maybe a bit more bitter than anything. Crisp light-medium body with a dry finish.

Not bad but not one I'd rush out to buy. Doesn't seem as if the Juniper berries add much...

Per bottle: "Styrian Golding and Amarillo hops, and Juniper Berries", 13 Plato, 34 IBU, 77 AA, 3.2 L

Version: 2001 (on bottle)
Tasted: 08/28/03

(22 oz.)

08-29-2003 16:05:11 | More by RBorsato
vfgccp

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

A - Light golden honey, think creamy head.

S - Sweet brioche, touch of pine.

T - Super bitter opening. Bring pine resin, lightly waxy mid profile. Oak and juniper finish.

M - Light body with a booze stringency.

D - Great hop character but the bitterness slows you way down.

01-01-2011 20:21:04 | More by vfgccp
Cynic-ale

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

08-04-2013 08:19:13 | More by Cynic-ale
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber colour with a fairly large size frothy and fizzy white coloured head. There is a low to average amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 3 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - Malts, hops, grapefruit/orange

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lots of hops mixed with malts and caramel. There is also quite a bit of citrus flavour and only a faint amount of the juniper. It finishes with a malty and hoppy aftertaste.

Overall - I didn't really know what to expect with this beer but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It drinks like an IPA with a touch of juniper - which adds a nice kick to the the taste. I'd buy this beer again

07-04-2011 14:44:59 | More by spinrsx
Duff27

12-15-2011 04:43:22 | More by Duff27
mrfrancis

Kentucky

07-12-2013 21:01:16 | More by mrfrancis
TheLongBeachBum

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Another 22 fl.oz of Rogue, yippee, I have not had a new Rogue beer in ages, so I was very happy when I saw this untried offering in a local store, and so I jumped at the chance of trying this "newbie" from the Oregon based master brewers.

Labeled as “Yellow Snow Ale 2002”, it pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a light orange hue, that does have a remarkable resemblance to the last urine sample I gave the Doctor. A white frothy head that is comprised of large frothy bubbles, like the bottle, adds character to its presentation, but leaves very little lace. Average carbonation, but the head is soon gone almost completely, only a thin surface covering is left.
Nose is immediately spicy but it has a sweet honey dimension to it. Initial tastes are of restrained bitterness, which lead to a ‘soft’ malty middle. The spiciness then makes it entrance and intermingles incredibly well with the hops. This is the beers single greatest asset and uniqueness in my humble opinion. My guess is that the Styrian Golding and Amarillo Hops, are in a deeply disturbing, but tempestuous, ‘Menage-a-Trois’ with the Juniper Berries.

Overall this beer is different, almost unique, I like the controlled hop-bitterness and the ‘in-situ’ spicy facet, all combined together in an easy drinking, highly refreshing beer.

I remember the first time I created yellow snow when I was 5, and even when I spelled my name in it, well, to be honest I only got to doing the first 3 letters of my long last name, but hey I tried. Yellow Snow – who would have thought that some 28 years later I would enjoy drinking it some 3,000 miles away?

A very well-balanced and intriguing beer. Clean, crisp and highly quaffable. Well worth a try, though some may not understand its restrained complexities.

02-21-2003 17:19:56 | More by TheLongBeachBum
cjgator3

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a hazy orangish yellow with a thin layer of white lace. Nose consists of a nice buttery malty aroma, citrus and hops. Taste is dominated by malt that finishes with a bitter hoppiness that is not overpowering. Overall, this is not a bad brew but not a brew I would go out of my way to get again. It kind of grew on me the more I drank it.

09-01-2006 04:10:13 | More by cjgator3
DmanGTR

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

01-29-2013 20:47:19 | More by DmanGTR
cokes

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

I'm not gonna lie to you and pretend I know the first thing about juniper berries (other than the fact they are used in the gin-making process). But since I firmly believe that beer should make a person think, here are a few fun juniper berry tidbits for all y'all:
-it's a remedy to treat tapeworm
-In the Ayurvedic system (don't ask me) juniper is believed to not only purify the body but also the aura.
-contains thujone, which I believe is a hallucinogen (of absinthe fame)
-It has stimulant and analgesic properties.
-it helps clear acid wastes from the body.
-It acts on the urinary, respiratory, nervous and digestive systems
-it's an insect repellant
-It can be used during labor to stimulate contractions.
-And it makes your urine smell like violets (as yet unproven by yours-truly).

Anyway,

This is of the 2002 breed.
Pours a smogged golden under a bleached beige head.
Nose full of ferns and pine needles, and black-light ganja. Notations of dish-washing liquid. The berry sweetness present may or may not be imaginary.
Toasty up front. Progresses towards english muffins, topped with a spit of butter. Not sweet at all, at least right away. Hops are certainly the featured event here. Lightly resinous pine cone Amarillos (oh how I love them), along with the more abrasive and metallic Styrian Goldies. Interesting cross. There's a suggestion of blueberries soaked in gin- adding minor sweetness to the general bitterness- and that is my only entrance to the topic of juniper berries.
Medium bodied and monster drinkable, though that has nothing to do with any sort of berry.
Not as unique as expected, and a bit out-of-place as a winter seasonal, but a dandy pale ale regardless.

Now off to see if that whole violets thing is true.

12-16-2003 08:31:23 | More by cokes
whartontallboy

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This one's from the Juniper Pale Ale bottling, not Yellow Snow.

Cloudy orange pour, little head that doesn't make much effort to retain.

Smell is kind of doughy, but there's quite a bit of hop in it as well that give it a sort of piney scent. This could be juniper berries, I suppose, but I don't really pick those up that strongly.

Flavor is kind of muted pale ale-ish. The hops aren't overly strong, and there's a little bit of an off flavor in there. I can't really tell what it is, but I don't dig it. It tastes a little mildewy, and then the junipery clean tastes comes through in finish.

Overall: I saw this one in Nashville, and I'd never seen it, so I picked it up. Glad I got to try it, but I won't hit this one again, I don't know if it's the juniper or what, but it's not my favorite.

05-19-2005 03:41:52 | More by whartontallboy