Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,663
Reviews by DavoleBomb:
1.86/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a perfect pint. I was excited about this when it first came out, but then forgot about it due to the shitty reviews. Then yesterday, I came across it while I was buying beer so I figured it was time.

2.0 A: Lightly hazed orange caramel color. Two fingers of frothy/foamy yellow-beige head is ugly as hell. Fortunately it doesn't last all that long. Some specks of lacing here and there. Truly an ugly brew.

1.5 S: This smells artificial from the get go. I'm immediately reminded of my homebrewing experiments with adding various nut extracts to beers I already had bottled. Despite plenty of effort, the nut extract always gave off an undesirable smell and taste, so I scrapped the idea and instead used real nuts (which was also about five hours more work) for my upcoming brew. While the real nut brew came out great, this one from Rogue did not. The maple is sickeningly artificial to the point that I can't even tell if the bacon is real from the overlap. The smells like a breakfast platter from a really shitty fast food place. The maple ruins what would be an otherwise pleasant smokiness. It's hard to find anything else underneath, but to be honest I didn't try much since I hate smelling this.

2.0 T: The taste sucks too, but it's still a bit better than the nose. "Pure maple flavoring" is again the culprit behind this travesty of a beer. I don't know what "maple flavoring" is, but it's nothing like maple syrup. I do enjoy the smokiness though. It itself partially redeems the beer. The caramel notes aren't bad either. But getting past the maple syrup flavor is far to difficult to even begin to speak anything truly positive about the beer.

2.25 M: Lighter medium body. Comes off as feeling overcarbonated even though it really isn't. It just has some of that explodes-in-your-mouth feel to it. Lacking creaminess. Not really up to par here either.

1.75 D: I bought this beer out of curiosity, which is a force too strong to fight (at least when it comes to beer), but I can assure myself this will be the last time I ever drink this. Cheers for the second half of the bottle. (2,109 characters)

It was pretty good beer. (24 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

No label information. Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is brewed in the style of a Smoked Ale with natural flavors added. Available as the first release in the Voodoo series in 750 ml. bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle to a snifter glass. Served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy head of a caramel cream complexion over a moderately hazy medium copper body with little visible carbonation. Retention is above average and lacing is light and spotty. 3.5

(Smell) Smoky malts, considerable doses of maple syrup, some cereal wheat and candied sugars, not much discernible bacon flavor but I suppose the smoky flavor may give the illusion of bacon. Altogether the combination of malt character, sweetened additives and sugars make for a robust collection of aromas. It's a heavy meal for the nose, and frankly I find it appealing at this stage, about as appealing as a sizable stack of pancakes with maple syrup is... before diving in. 4

(Taste) Charred wood, lightly sweetened cereal malts, a touch of dry maple and an understated sweetness, finishing on a profoundly meaty smoke flavor, strongly suggesting country cured pork products, perhaps even fatty bacon. My biggest complaint here is the limitation of the malt sweetness as insufficient to balance the smokiness of the specialty malts, perhaps this beer has become too dried out with time, otherwise it is bizarrely enjoyable. I know I'm not in the majority by this opinion, but I could realistically enjoy this bottle alone. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, lightly syrupy, moderately clean, lightly dry. Carbonation is modest, generating a light frothiness and a medium crisp finish. Body is medium+ for the style, medium/heavy overall. Balance is slightly earthy and smoky bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no notable off characters. 3.5

(Overall) I feel incredibly lucky reviewing this beer by myself, as I can't help but admit I enjoy it very much. The malt profile was hardly as cloying or viscous as I had feared it might be, although the maple and smoked wood character was still very forward, generating lots of flavor. At times I felt that the malt sweetness was dialed too low, bt I assume that three years of bottle conditioning had something to do with it. I could see enjoying a glass of this beer with a hearty, perhaps incredibly unhealthy breakfast to pair, but altogether I enjoyed this beer. 3.75

Rogue Ales'
Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale
/5.00 (2,513 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -56.5%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad. (733 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +18.8%

C avg (up from a D+ 2 reviews prior)? I think people are knocking down their scores because of some predisposition against Rogue. If the point is to make a beer that tastes like Voodoo’s infamous bacon maple bar, Rogue succeeds. Opens with whiffs of general smokiness and specific mapliness. First swallow is thick maple spread fleshed out with suckerpunch of bacon, but is, I suppose, OTT (over the top) due to ample amounts of not one, not two, but three types of smoked malt (cherrywood, beechwood, and hickory) with applewood smoked bacon rounding out the corners. Only with the aftertaste does the vanilla appear and alchemize that maple flavor into more of a powder sugary maple frosting befitting a doughnut.

The fact is, if you like the donuts, and you like crazy ass beers, this one achieves its objective. If you know you don’t like Rauchbiers or dessert beers, you should stay far, far away and refrain from reviewing, just like I’d never review a Helles, Kolsch, or even a straightforward Amber.

Between the small batch size, flashy pepto-pink bottle, and the fact that you're going to share this with at least a few others, it is easily worth the lucky $13 price tag. (1,188 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

Purchased as a "beer of the week" special at a local liquor store. After hearing the name "Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale", I had to give it a try. Pours a dense amber color with a bit of haze and lots of carbonation bubbles. Decent sized head that didn't last for too long. The smell was amazing. Seriously, it smelled absolutely delicious - like ripe, smoked bacon that had been covered in maple syrup. Like waking up in a cabin, early on a Saturday morning and someone is already in the kitchen, cooking bacon and maple pancakes. Hints of wheat and malt in the background, but the bacon-maple smell dominates, and it is amazing.

Unfortunately, that's where things head south. The taste is bad. Really bad. Especially after having such high expectations after the beautiful nose it gives - just SUCH a let down. The beer barely tastes of bacon or maple at all, rather all you can taste is carbonation and smoke. It was like carbonated liquid smoke with maybe a hint of malt and caramel in the background. But the smoked flavor was so intense that it was harsh, dry, and did not feel good on the back of the throat. Body was thin and had too much carbonation to be enjoyable.

All in all, one of the worst beers I've tried. Perhaps the disappointment is magnified by the fact that the beer, in theory, sounds, and smells, delicious. It is everything BUT that. One of the only beers I couldn't finish. Very upsetting. (1,419 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

2.89/5  rDev -7.7%

750 ml bottle. Pours reddish amber with a small off-white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is a bit strange - soapy sugary smoked malts and maple. It smells a bit chemically and leathery.

The flavor is sweet sugary malts (molasses and maple) with a big smokiness (liquid smoke and BBQ). The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, very strange. The sweet sugar doesn't blend well with the smoke. Interesting to try though. (498 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales