Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,642 | Reviews: 427
Reviews by IAmJacksHopTongue:
2.4/5  rDev -14.3%

Served from 750mL great-looking pink bottle. Had this with a bacon cheeseburger, so it seemed like a great match.

A- Typical brown ale color (brown), lots of carbonation but little head retention. Maybe a little lighter in color than I might have expected.

S- My favorite part of this beer; lots of maple, with very slight hint of smoke (which reminded me of bacon). I was optimistic from the smell. Had a bite of my burger and the two were working together.

T- Smoke. And carbonation. The maple seems to have disappeared now. All I get is a very light, very carbonated brown ale with massive amounts of smoke; so much smoke that it lingers for several minutes after I stop drinking.

M- Very light body, vary carbonated.

O- I dropped $14.00 (Michigan prices, so it's probably cheaper elsewhere) but didn't end up finishing it. Drank less than half the bottle. Switched to a Founders Backwoods Bastard, which gave me a better match for my bacon cheeseburger. A little disappointed in Rogue - a well respected brewery - for this beer, but everybody misses once in a while.

It was pretty good beer.

1.36/5  rDev -51.4%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad.

3.72/5  rDev +32.9%

C avg (up from a D+ 2 reviews prior)? I think people are knocking down their scores because of some predisposition against Rogue. If the point is to make a beer that tastes like Voodoo’s infamous bacon maple bar, Rogue succeeds. Opens with whiffs of general smokiness and specific mapliness. First swallow is thick maple spread fleshed out with suckerpunch of bacon, but is, I suppose, OTT (over the top) due to ample amounts of not one, not two, but three types of smoked malt (cherrywood, beechwood, and hickory) with applewood smoked bacon rounding out the corners. Only with the aftertaste does the vanilla appear and alchemize that maple flavor into more of a powder sugary maple frosting befitting a doughnut.

The fact is, if you like the donuts, and you like crazy ass beers, this one achieves its objective. If you know you don’t like Rauchbiers or dessert beers, you should stay far, far away and refrain from reviewing, just like I’d never review a Helles, Kolsch, or even a straightforward Amber.

Between the small batch size, flashy pepto-pink bottle, and the fact that you're going to share this with at least a few others, it is easily worth the lucky $13 price tag.

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

1.93/5  rDev -31.1%

Purchased as a "beer of the week" special at a local liquor store. After hearing the name "Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale", I had to give it a try. Pours a dense amber color with a bit of haze and lots of carbonation bubbles. Decent sized head that didn't last for too long. The smell was amazing. Seriously, it smelled absolutely delicious - like ripe, smoked bacon that had been covered in maple syrup. Like waking up in a cabin, early on a Saturday morning and someone is already in the kitchen, cooking bacon and maple pancakes. Hints of wheat and malt in the background, but the bacon-maple smell dominates, and it is amazing.

Unfortunately, that's where things head south. The taste is bad. Really bad. Especially after having such high expectations after the beautiful nose it gives - just SUCH a let down. The beer barely tastes of bacon or maple at all, rather all you can taste is carbonation and smoke. It was like carbonated liquid smoke with maybe a hint of malt and caramel in the background. But the smoked flavor was so intense that it was harsh, dry, and did not feel good on the back of the throat. Body was thin and had too much carbonation to be enjoyable.

All in all, one of the worst beers I've tried. Perhaps the disappointment is magnified by the fact that the beer, in theory, sounds, and smells, delicious. It is everything BUT that. One of the only beers I couldn't finish. Very upsetting.

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.5/5  rDev +25%

1.25/5  rDev -55.4%

4.5/5  rDev +60.7%

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

2.89/5  rDev +3.2%

750 ml bottle. Pours reddish amber with a small off-white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is a bit strange - soapy sugary smoked malts and maple. It smells a bit chemically and leathery.

The flavor is sweet sugary malts (molasses and maple) with a big smokiness (liquid smoke and BBQ). The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, very strange. The sweet sugar doesn't blend well with the smoke. Interesting to try though.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales