Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 434
Reviews by StoneBrewFanatic:
3.92/5  rDev +40%

A - Pours clear amber into my snifter with about two fingers of head and has minimal retention and lacing.

S - Smoked malts and maple/caramel sweetness. So yes smokey bacon and maple is what you get.

T - Smokey malts are awesome, the bacon concept really comes through, lots of smokey wood notes, caramel malts are present and a maple sweetness comes through as well.

M - Medium/light body, low carbonation.

O - For a unique smoked beer variation this was pretty awesome! I really didn't perceive myself caring for it, but it delivered exactly what it promised and it tasted good at the same time. For sure a love it or hate beer though...

It was pretty good beer.

3.77/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

No label information. Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is brewed in the style of a Smoked Ale with natural flavors added. Available as the first release in the Voodoo series in 750 ml. bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle to a snifter glass. Served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy head of a caramel cream complexion over a moderately hazy medium copper body with little visible carbonation. Retention is above average and lacing is light and spotty. 3.5

(Smell) Smoky malts, considerable doses of maple syrup, some cereal wheat and candied sugars, not much discernible bacon flavor but I suppose the smoky flavor may give the illusion of bacon. Altogether the combination of malt character, sweetened additives and sugars make for a robust collection of aromas. It's a heavy meal for the nose, and frankly I find it appealing at this stage, about as appealing as a sizable stack of pancakes with maple syrup is... before diving in. 4

(Taste) Charred wood, lightly sweetened cereal malts, a touch of dry maple and an understated sweetness, finishing on a profoundly meaty smoke flavor, strongly suggesting country cured pork products, perhaps even fatty bacon. My biggest complaint here is the limitation of the malt sweetness as insufficient to balance the smokiness of the specialty malts, perhaps this beer has become too dried out with time, otherwise it is bizarrely enjoyable. I know I'm not in the majority by this opinion, but I could realistically enjoy this bottle alone. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, lightly syrupy, moderately clean, lightly dry. Carbonation is modest, generating a light frothiness and a medium crisp finish. Body is medium+ for the style, medium/heavy overall. Balance is slightly earthy and smoky bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no notable off characters. 3.5

(Overall) I feel incredibly lucky reviewing this beer by myself, as I can't help but admit I enjoy it very much. The malt profile was hardly as cloying or viscous as I had feared it might be, although the maple and smoked wood character was still very forward, generating lots of flavor. At times I felt that the malt sweetness was dialed too low, bt I assume that three years of bottle conditioning had something to do with it. I could see enjoying a glass of this beer with a hearty, perhaps incredibly unhealthy breakfast to pair, but altogether I enjoyed this beer. 3.75

Rogue Ales'
Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale
/5.00

1.36/5  rDev -51.4%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad.

3.72/5  rDev +32.9%

C avg (up from a D+ 2 reviews prior)? I think people are knocking down their scores because of some predisposition against Rogue. If the point is to make a beer that tastes like Voodoo’s infamous bacon maple bar, Rogue succeeds. Opens with whiffs of general smokiness and specific mapliness. First swallow is thick maple spread fleshed out with suckerpunch of bacon, but is, I suppose, OTT (over the top) due to ample amounts of not one, not two, but three types of smoked malt (cherrywood, beechwood, and hickory) with applewood smoked bacon rounding out the corners. Only with the aftertaste does the vanilla appear and alchemize that maple flavor into more of a powder sugary maple frosting befitting a doughnut.

The fact is, if you like the donuts, and you like crazy ass beers, this one achieves its objective. If you know you don’t like Rauchbiers or dessert beers, you should stay far, far away and refrain from reviewing, just like I’d never review a Helles, Kolsch, or even a straightforward Amber.

Between the small batch size, flashy pepto-pink bottle, and the fact that you're going to share this with at least a few others, it is easily worth the lucky $13 price tag.

1.93/5  rDev -31.1%

Purchased as a "beer of the week" special at a local liquor store. After hearing the name "Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale", I had to give it a try. Pours a dense amber color with a bit of haze and lots of carbonation bubbles. Decent sized head that didn't last for too long. The smell was amazing. Seriously, it smelled absolutely delicious - like ripe, smoked bacon that had been covered in maple syrup. Like waking up in a cabin, early on a Saturday morning and someone is already in the kitchen, cooking bacon and maple pancakes. Hints of wheat and malt in the background, but the bacon-maple smell dominates, and it is amazing.

Unfortunately, that's where things head south. The taste is bad. Really bad. Especially after having such high expectations after the beautiful nose it gives - just SUCH a let down. The beer barely tastes of bacon or maple at all, rather all you can taste is carbonation and smoke. It was like carbonated liquid smoke with maybe a hint of malt and caramel in the background. But the smoked flavor was so intense that it was harsh, dry, and did not feel good on the back of the throat. Body was thin and had too much carbonation to be enjoyable.

All in all, one of the worst beers I've tried. Perhaps the disappointment is magnified by the fact that the beer, in theory, sounds, and smells, delicious. It is everything BUT that. One of the only beers I couldn't finish. Very upsetting.

2.89/5  rDev +3.2%

750 ml bottle. Pours reddish amber with a small off-white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is a bit strange - soapy sugary smoked malts and maple. It smells a bit chemically and leathery.

The flavor is sweet sugary malts (molasses and maple) with a big smokiness (liquid smoke and BBQ). The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, very strange. The sweet sugar doesn't blend well with the smoke. Interesting to try though.

3.23/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to my brother for sharing this bottle. I really had no idea what to expect, so I tried to go in with an open mind.

The beer pours and orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is definitely heavy on the smoke, with some maple syrup notes thrown in. Not bad. The flavor is also pretty heavy on the woody smoke, with some maple syrup and toffee notes thrown in. All of those notes mix fairly well together. Medium to thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Surprisingly, I don't hate the beer. The four or five ounces I had were enough, but I thought the beer was OK and am glad I got to try it. I thought all the notes mixed pretty well together, they were just so strong and in your face that it would be tough to drink too much of this beer.

1.43/5  rDev -48.9%

Pours a murky almost dingy brown. The smell was of smoky burnt maple bacon which i did not find that pleasant. It tasted much the same..with the burnt smoky flavors dominating. Mouthfeel was thin but the beer left my mouth feeling coated in bacon grease. I struggled with this beer though it did seem to improve as i smoked a cigarette which was the only time i detected any sweetness. the beer does deliver on the smoky meaty flavor but it just didnt work for me.

2.74/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bottle.

The beer looked great coming out of the bottle. Average light, orange look that was very cloudy. The white head also lingered a lot longer than most beers. The maple smell was very dominant, with a slight sweetness and little bacon and smokiness. Despite the delicious smell, the beer was not so great. The maple flavour overpowered most everything else. The "bacon" flavour had a very fake taste to it and was not enjoyable. The smokiness was a lot more natural in the taste and lingered in the aftertaste. All-in-all: not a very balanced flavour mixture... they didn't compliment themselves as much as I had hoped for.

Would I buy it again? No. Not good.

3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

Slightly hazed and honey amber colored with a frothy, fluffy eggshell-colored head that lingers long. Strong aroma of maple syrup, faint smoke. Interesting range of flavors starting with maple syrup, phenolic smoke, woody notes. A tad sweet, mild bitterness mostly contributed by the smoke. Full mouthfeel, moderate carbonation, a bit tannic. Interesting sipper.

3.86/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out a copper and amber color, everyone else was expecting a stout colored beer I think. Mild thin head. The aroma that gushed from the beer was amazing, I didn't even bend my head down after popping the crown before a beautiful aroma of maple, syrup, cinammon, mild smoke aromas and doughnuts tickled my nose.

The amount of smoked wood/malt going on here is pretty big and diverse. Like all bacon beers, you really have to search for the bacon, its not massive by any stretch of the imagination.

One of my more favorite smoked beers. Would like this beer even more if there was less smoke in the taste, and more of the aroma stuff in the taste, relatively speaking. I would maybe thicken up the body of the beer, lighten the smoke and this could be an amazing beer.

2.45/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottled served in a Sam Adams glass, tasting with EC and Z.

A - clear copper amber with 1 finger khaki head with moderate retention and poor lacing, bubbly.

S - maple syrup, bacon, smoke.

T - really neat maple and smokey noted into funky menthol cigarettes, fading quickly, with some mint, smoked sausage, oaky, birch, smoked woods to finish with moderate booze.

M - light body, moderate carbonation.

O - one of my least favorite beers in a while, though ambitious, I will stick to the voodoo dounuts and pass on this grotesque monstrosity.

2.69/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy light golden brown color, with a thin tan head that fades too quickly, leaving no lace.

This beer has a very sweet maple syrup aroma. It has a mild bacon like aroma aw sell. It pretty much smells like bacon pancakes from the Original Pancake House in San Diego. The aroma is pretty strong, and a bit overwhelming.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. Maple bacon pancakes. It is slightly cloying, and pretty sweet.

This beer is carbonated well. It leaves a very sweet maple aftertaste.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. The flavor and aroma is so aggressive and cloying. It is ok in small doses, but not more than one bottle.

Overall: I wasnt expecting this beer to be great. I wanted to try it just because it was different than anything I have had before. I didnt hate it. I also didnt like it. It was unique, and not awful. Just very sweet and cloying. I wont be buying it again, but I am not sorry I got it this time.

4.19/5  rDev +49.6%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A- Hazy/cloudy light amber body, decent off white head, with little retention. Not much lacing at all. Looks nice though.

S- Smokey maple... Lots of smokiness! Can't seem to get the bacon out of there, but it smelled great, not very complex, just inviting.

T- Your palate follows the nose! Smokey maple, applewood bacon, you can't really get all the malts or hop flavor out of this, but I still enjoyed it very much.

MF- medium body, medium-sharp carbonation. flavor hangs around a lot.

O- As much ingredients that were added into this beer, you really just get hit head on with the smoked maple malts. If you like that smokiness it's a great beer to try, and I liked it a lot. I definitely want to give it another go. This isn't an overly complex beer, though you would think it is. It all depends on your taste if you want this ale in your mouth. Not bad at all though.

3.67/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

really interesting brew.
a smokey burning smell.
has a smokey pencil taste in the beginning with slight maple hints and sweetens as it warms releasing hoppy notes on the pallet but still keeping that smokey taste also bringing out that apple wood smoked bacon flavor.

3.62/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

ST: 750 into a pint glass.

A: Clear amber with a LOT of carbonation and a thin, slightly off-white head (leaves spotty lacing).

S:No denying its name sake, bacon and maple dominate. It has the dry burning wood aroma that you find in some German beers (I am blanking on the type right now, I think rauchbier). But behind the bacon is the maple and, actually, the smell of doughy sweet donuts. The aroma of this beer is unique.

T: Very boozy and hoppy up front kills most of the flavor except for a bit of burnt bacon. The burnt bacon flavor with some maple sweetness shows up in the finish along with some spiciness and alcohol. It is an interesting flavor, and the finish is better than the start.

M: Heavy

O: I am glad I tried this beer. It is not balanced well, and many of the unique flavors are pushed to the back, but the aroma is amazing and the fatty bacon flavor in the finish is enjoyable. It is something I was very interested in trying. I have to give thanks to one of my good friends who got this for me as a groomsmen gift.

2.46/5  rDev -12.1%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy bright copper body with a lumpy beige yellowish head that is supported by strands of microbubbles.

S- There is a strong artificial maple flavoring aroma followed by a smoke note and some layers of smoke and bacon blend a bit with a plastic band-aid note growing as the beer opens.

T- The slightly meaty flavor of bacon note with some layers of smoke ending in more plastic band-aids. Then comes the artificial maple flavoring in full force and it lingers after the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has no alcohol heat and a gentle fizz but it can’t cut the artificial maple of the tongue.

O- The complex layer of flavor are all a bit offensive and the nice smoke notes are dominated by band-aids and artificial maple flavoring. It was a bit hard to get through this beer. I’m glad I got to try one bottle but one is enough.

3.74/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Pours a dark golden amber with a 2 finger white head. Mild carbonation is visible in the body. No real lacing, head dissipates in a minute or so.

S: Loads of maple and bacon on the nose. That is pretty sweet. Malts are in there, and some smokiness.

T: Can get some smokiness up front. Don't pull through any of the maple. Some hops in the background.

M: Somewhat light on the palate. A little thin with low on carbonation.

Overall I wish the smell matched the taste on this one. I enjoy smoky beers and this is one to add to the mix. Worth trying by anyone who wants a unique beer. For all of the hype surrounding this beer is is missing the serious taste I was hoping for.

3.34/5  rDev +19.3%

Reviewed Blind, received from Oline73 in Blind BIF 7

3.5 - Pours an orange amber color with 2 fingers of fizzy white head that recede to a ring around the glass.

4.5 - Very strong tobacco aroma, vanilla, oak, honey/syrup sweetness, caramel, a touch of chocolate as it warms. It is also getting kind of smoky phenolic as it warms, like a fantôme. Smell is really nice, complex and deep.

3 - Taste is underwhelming. I mostly get a smokey aftertaste with some herbal hop bitterness but nowhere near the complexity of the nose.

2.5 - The mouthfeel is very thin and watery, med-high carbonation does not help this beer. I am guessing 5-6%

3 - Overall this is a very interesting beer, but the thin mouthfeel and watered down flavor lose any potential that the very pleasant aroma have. I am thinking it is either a strongly smokey scotch ale or some bastard rauchbier. It has the nose of a scotch ale but the mouthfeel is too thin. It could be a light in color rauchbier? it has just a touch of the smokey almost meaty taste.

3.62/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance: typical amber ale color wilth light carbonation with a 2 finger head. poured into a pint glass

smell: a delicious maple smell which made me want to just pour it over some pancakes. A little smokey aswell

taste: like bacon and syrup. Very chewy

mouthfeel: sticky but no unpleasent

Overall: Worth the try, not worth the price. $12 for a 750ml 5.60%. loved the maple smell, very drinkable.

If anyones looking for a great maple beer try Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half

2.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Had such high hopes for this beer as I love everything bacon; everything until I tasted this. Rogue is known for this flosflorcent hops robustly flavoring their brews. This beer is on the opposite end of the spectrum. 30 on the IBU scale, it pours golden hazy in color. Not very hoppy, but then again thats not a bad thing. Yes you do get an initial hint of maple sweet somewhere along with first sip and corresponding ones and yes you do get a slight hint of that savory bacony flavor, but the overwhelmingly powerful taste is the smoke. On the way down your throat and lingering on your tastebuds there after is smoke. A veritable chimney on your palate.

I can sum this beer up by simply saying, "it tastes like drinking a chimney."

1.64/5  rDev -41.4%

Disgusting. Tastes like a dirty ashtray.

1.44/5  rDev -48.6%

I have had a Bacon Maple bar from the world famous Voodoo Doughnuts, and it was a glorious experience. So whence I saw the pink gleaming bottle from afar, it was calling my name and I and thought: "Voodoo doughnuts + Maple + Bacon + Beer = EPIC WIN"

A friend and I eagerly awaited a time when we could both partake of this brew. And When the time came... Lets just say we now have a new gold standard for the worst tasting beer of all time. Normally, even if a beer tastes bad, I will still finish it on principle, because it is beer. And wasting any form of beer is a sin. The exception to that rule is Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. Though it is a beautiful amber color, We had to pour the wretched concoction down the drain.

I am very saddened to have to write this review, as I love the other beverages Rouges Ales has to offer. But this is certainly not one of them.

3.92/5  rDev +40%

22oz bottle, 7% ABV, and a hideous shellacked candy-floss pink. Very Homer Simpson doughnut-esque, I suppose, with a weird graphic portraying a hog-crushing 'gentleman', against a background of my nation's national symbol. Ok, then. Like many before me, I spent a few days last summer drinking my way around Portland, and made pilgrimages to both hedonistic meccas. Bacon doughnuts were weird enough, so this must just be the logical extension, PDX-style.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden amber hue, with two regular customer fingers of dense frothy pale beige head, which leaves some Joshua tree lace around parts of the glass as it steadily and surely recedes. It smells, at first from a distance, of sweet, dark sugary maple syrup, which is quickly subsumed by a meaty smoky essence, lingering on edge between generic and full-on savoury breakfast pork product, with no other native aromas strong enough to poke through - I am strongly reminded of my last morning hangover cure visit to a US-based IHOP - and that meal even cost less than this bomber did on this side of the border.

Anyways, the taste is immediately more heavy on the smokiness, with both the succulent pork side and thick maple notes going swiftly AWOL, replaced by a relatively weak grainy, somewhat caramelized, and heretofore obscured malt. This sounds like a downer, but it pretty much works - I don't think I could have taken the tree sap sweetness in the nose as an equally pervasive component of the flavour. This is beer, not deep-fried pastry. I even sense a bit of weedy, earthy hops (mostly because you wouldn't find them it either of the titular ingredients).

The body is generally agreeable, with the bubbles doing nothing to really distinguish themselves, good or bad, the weight deftly kept in the medium-light range, and lacking smoothness only due to the pervasively acrid smoke. It finishes more malty that anything as yet, the salty smoke and muddled sweetness becoming even further marginalized.

Well, it is what it says it is. First I get maple. Then I get bacon (or thereabouts). Finally I get ale. What else is there? A big marketing schtick turned drinkable, if not freaky good (how you do that with this style eludes me) sooty amber ale. Man, do I want me some food cart nosh at this very moment...

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales