Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 434

I agree with Hornet2003. This is a Specialty Beer. Appearance is clear amber, great carbonation, has an outstanding odor, texture is pure bliss. Rogue again pulls off what most are too scared to try. Don't buy this if your expectations are not for a Maple-Bacon beer!!!! heeellloooo....Beer in the morning after a hang-over???? This is it...with scrambled eggs and salsa!!

4.99/5  rDev +78.2%

I know this is a divisive beer but it does what it wants, which is more thanmost beers do
A- nice semi dark amber, all beer is pretty too me, but I love the bottle art'
S - maple n slightly smoked malts
T- follows the nose very mapley minor smokey notes
M - super drinkable
O - no this isn't the best beer ive had but my god does it try to be special and it is different from anything ive ever drank I love it

4.97/5  rDev +77.5%

This beer is amazing. I've been waiting to find this gem and it was worth the wait. The scent of this beer is pure maple. As soon as the beer hits your tongue, your senses are flooded with bacon. The maple hits you after, leaving almost a coating in your mouth. On the back end, you do seem to pick up the donut flavor. Overall, it is an incredible beer. I wasn't sure how these flavors would work together in a beer, but it is a perfect combination. Like breakfast in your mouth! I picked up an extra bottle at Total Wine and was assured that they would be ordering a larger quantity in the future!

4.94/5  rDev +76.4%

Wow, the name just conjures the image of a drooling Homer Simpson.

A beautiful amber hue with a white head greets the eye. It does resemble a smoked beer after all. I wasn't expecting something darker so it fits.

Ohhhh, glazed maple donuts, wrapped in applewood smoked bacon. Wow. I love this. I don't care what everyone else says. This is unique. I need more bottles of it!

Beechwood, applewood, cherrywood, hickory and maple explode in my mouth. Oh my god. Ohhh. It's an orgasm in my mouth!

Dry finish too! Like the aftertaste of a finely smoked meat. Wow. Just wow.

This beer will probably not appeal to everyone. I am in love though and I will add that as a Vermonter, I have beers with maple added and this is an amazing effort.

Forgive me fellow BAs, for I have sinned....at the altar of the almighty bacon!

4.89/5  rDev +74.6%

this beer is amazing... exactly what the beer says....750 of the pink bottle. taste is much lighter than you would assume.... after the first taste i had a strong maple syrup flavor, almost like after you ate something with maple syrup. but the beer is lighter than you'ld assume and it is much more drinkable than you'ld think. its definately something yould want to drink once and maybe more if you were into the flavor... very delicious

4.84/5  rDev +72.9%

11 month old bottle.

A - A really nice looking beer. Bright nectarine amber body. Fine bubbled, off-white head with great retention and ok lace.

S - Wow, delicious crispy meaty bacon, real maple syrup, and waffles.

T - Stellar smokey salty bacon with touch of sweet maple over a blanket of malt. Think bacon waffle batter, slow cooked in a hickory wood smoker. Lingering maple finish lasts for freak'n ever.

M - Thick and creamy, with a low level of carbonation that works well for the flavor profile.

O - Best smoke beer I've ever had. If you're a fan of smoke beers, you need to find yourself one of these.

4.74/5  rDev +69.3%

Got this as part of a trade with hoparoundnw2337.

A - Gogeous dark amber with a cloudy unfiltered look.

S - WOOOW!! So much aroma to this beer! Tons of sweet maple syrup and smokey bacon.

T - If you don't like the taste of maple syrup don't buy this beer. I for one love maple syrup and this beer tastes just like some smoked bacon dipped in awesome Oregon maple syrup. The sweet syrup flavor comes first with the smokey bacon coming in late and lasting forever.

M - Nothing special here. nice body to it, not to thin, not to thick. Good carbonation, making it very drinkable.

O - This beer is a very different spin on a beer style that for the most part is very plain. The range of flavors are incredible. I for one appreciate the creativeness it took to create this beer.

4.62/5  rDev +65%

A-Amber colored with a thick dark cream colored head.

S-okay this smells like a maple bacon donut. Definitely smoked bacon. Smells like something I want to eat.

T-comes in with an awesome sweet smokiness. It sorta resembles bacon but I definitely get some maple. It tastes like smoked applewood. It's awesome actually. The after-taste is awesome flavor of sweet smoke. The flavors are clean and clear.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-okay, I love this. It tastes better than any other smoke beer I've ever had. I admittedly love the style though. This is wonderful. The flavors are strong and goes down so well!

4.54/5  rDev +62.1%

Fresh cases of this arrived today in the store, so I picked up a bomber and poured it into a Founders pint glass.

A - Amber/deep orange with a beige head 2cm thick. Very clear and a nice looking beer. The head dissipates fairly quickly for a lower gravity beer.

S - This is where the beer truly shines. Heavy maple with a solid smoke. Reading the bottle, there is cherry malt, beech malt, and the applewood smoked bacon. There is a strong booze that hits you in the middle and then fades into the maple and smoke. This is the maple I wish I could infuse into my beers. Its like the pure maple candy from New Hampshire. The maple and a little smoke win out in the end.

T - The flavor is clearly dominated by the smoke. It leaves me wishing I had some good, slow smoked pork or brisket. The bottle suggests that this beer goes with pork or doughnuts. I am shocked at how well this beer goes with sweet foods. I would say you should try this with a doughnut (bacon or maple glazed if you can get your hands on it) and test the theory yourself. The booze is mild on the taste and the malts (Crystal and Munich) remain in the background aside from the smoke.

M - This beer really sticks around with you on the palate with a heavy residual sugar. The carbonation was also pretty high, so the flavors really opened up on the palate. There is a little bit of astringency in there as well that hides with the IBU (pretty sure its from the smoked malt, almost like a peat in scotch).

O - I wish I had tried this sooner. I was a bit afraid to try it because either you love it or you hate it, but I love it. It has a sweet finish and a lot of smoke. The bacon is in there too, but not too heavy. I say give it a try, but only if you like smoked beers.

4/17/2013

4.5/5  rDev +60.7%

Drank out of a brandy snifter. Very accurate maple syrup/bacon smell. The taste is similar on the palate but is a bit more smokey than sweet, however the sweetness is there. Appropriate color for the beer, nice head, nice lacing on my glass. I love that they list the ingredients on the beer. Very impressed.

4.48/5  rDev +60%

Pours a clear, bright dark orange-brown with a fluffy light tan head nearly 2" high. It settles to a solid 1/2" of almost creamy goodness.
Smell is .... breakfast! Maple, light smoke (bacon), sweet, malt. Buttermilk pancakes slathered in butter with maple syrup and bacon or maybe a maple-iced doughnut with sausage. I may have a new breakfast staple. Or not. A most amazing nose.
Taste is smoked malt, maple, sweet and tangy, light malt and a touch of hops and nut in the aftertaste. Fairly well balanced with smoke stepping ahead of the rest slightly.
Medium bodied, medium-plus effervescence. a bit of a drying finish. Smoke lingers with a touch of hops. A decent coating on the tongue is the only drawback to me.
This is really good, probably the best Rogue beer I've ever had except the Dead Guys.

4.47/5  rDev +59.6%

So, this is one of the most interesting beers that I can recall. It really smells just like breakfast on a campout. It's got the smell of a campfire, a little malple, some bacon on a cast iron skillet, and a pancake. Unbelievable. It's a fantastic, unyieldingly engaging smell. I simply love it. The appearance is of a clear amber, with a long-lasting, lace-producing white head. The taste is a little more restrained than the smell, but it has a distinctive smoke and maple quality. Sweet, but not overdone. The brewer got the balance just right...to sweet would have been distracting, and too dry would have made the smoke acrid. It's a wonderfully brewed beer.

4.47/5  rDev +59.6%

Serving - bottle

A - Dark redish amber color, decent head and good lacing throughout

S - smells like smokey bacon, a bit of maple hint to it as well, maybe a slight hop scent

T - taste just like bacon and maple

M - smooth, feels good, you'd expect a bacon and maple beer to be heavy, but this one is far from it, very light and nice

O - to me it tastes just like bacon and maple, so if you like the description on the bottle then I say go for it, because you should probably like the product inside

4.44/5  rDev +58.6%

Picked this up at Julio's and poured into my Duvel tulip. Review taken from notes.

A - Poured a crystal clear light coppery brown with a nice two finger creamy head that fades to leave a sudsy blanket and halo.

S - Maple galore. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Most people will knock this for smelling too mapley, no, not me. I love when a beer delivers on what it promises. This smells like someone dumped a bottle of maple syrup onto a few sausage links. Shockingly inviting and as sweet as maple syrup.

T - Wow! Maple...the beer oozes it. A one two punch of maple syrup with some light smokey bacon grease flavours lingering on the finish. Ends with a nice strong maple. And lingers with meaty bacon. Wow. Such a gimmick. But super enjoyable. Could see having this with breakfast easily.

M - My only knock with this, its a little thin and slightly flat.

O - Okay, I really, really like this. The maple is so powerful throughout and the finish and lingering taste is bacon and slight smoke. So enjoyable.

4.43/5  rDev +58.2%

Bomber into a pint glass (drank the whole pint and more it hurt to share after trying it)

A: I don't know what to look for but it is oddly maple syrupy and bacon brown semi opaque so i guess that is to style

S: it smells like declious maple bacon I wish I could live in this bottle, this smell is dead on.

T: I like it seriously I like it! Its starts of with a taste (malt or hops?) I can quite pinpoint it but it tastes like a beer. Then the after taste kicks in and it's a maple smoke banaza it tastes like it says it does! I say rogue nailed it !

M:thin but chewy almost like toffe very low carbonation but it suits the feel well

O: okay I expected to hate this but it's good it's not over powering
Smokey (and I usually hate smoky beers) and it tastes like advertised you can feel and taste the maple and bacon. I really don't understand how people dislike this and living in VT i know my way around a maple syrup beer, Its really good! Try it! seriously!

4.42/5  rDev +57.9%

OK, ok... I'll be honest, half the appeal was the bottle, I know, I know... BUT (if there is a saving grace) this is from Rogue, sooo I give myself a slight (if not fishy) pass on the bottle thing...

eyes...
packaging rules. Hey, it is part of the overall thing and this one stands out in a conveyor belt of bombers.
slightly cloudy orange hue with lots of carbonation running wild up the glass, 1 and a half fingers of white foam (craggy asteroid type) rise up, decent lacing and the head retention is good. a good looking brew.

nose...
straight up log cabin maple syrup, if I was blindfolded I would swear that is what this is, I can practically taste eggo waffles smelling this, unbelievable maple nose on this, I have never had anything this potent in terms of that note, the smoke is incredibly difficult to detect, really this fills up your nose with sweet maple like mad. hard to score this, sure, it is one sided but man alive the smell is off the charts

taste etc...
it drinks like it smells - very maple-y, there is an initial hop blast of bitterness and then the maple.. and then some of the smoked bacon smoke/herbs, it is hard to flesh this one out! the carbonation is nice and bright and keeps this from being mouth puckering-ly sweet, I find myself liking the strangeness of this beer, it does kind of wind up tasting like a light maple-y donut with some other flavors floating around in there. For the amount of flavor it has the body is fairly light (adding to the drink-ability)

verdict?
to rate this as a smoke beer is unfair, it is a beer in it's own space. I think this one more than most might be a love/hate beer. I'm a lover not a fighter so.... I am friggin' loving this thing! This is a unique beer and proof that Rogue is still out there quietly exploring the corners of the beer possible. Take a chance on this one, you may fall under the spell of the Serpent and the Rainbow...

4.33/5  rDev +54.6%

I poured this strange beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The thought of a greasy beer really worrying me. The beer was a light amber color with tan head that was thick and showing great lacing. Apple wood smoke and maple flavors oozing out of the glass really smelled good. I smoke with apple wood weekly so I know what I'm talking about. The taste was really quite startling. Smokey maplealy taste for sure. I got no bacon taste at all, yet my wife said she did. I liked the beer for a crazy taste experience. I would buy it again to change things up.

4.32/5  rDev +54.3%

Appearance – A dark amber color with a thin layer of gold along the top. A nice thick head that dissipates to a few small spots and a small ring around the glass.

Smell – A sweet maple smell which really smells a lot like a maple donut. There is also a light smoky smell, which reminds me of sizzling bacon. This is a great smelling beer!

Taste – The smokiness dominates the flavor and it’s a much stronger than expected compared to the smell. At first, I didn't like it since I was expecting something sweeter from the nose, but once I knew what to expect of the taste, I felt it was a quality smoked beer. It’s more of a woody smoke flavor than a bacon smoke flavor and is similar to many rauchbiers I've tried.

Mouthfeel – Medium body, medium carbonation; it felt right for the style.

Drinkability – Perhaps a bit too smokey to be super drinkable, but if you enjoy rauchbier you shouldn't be disappointed.

4.31/5  rDev +53.9%

Review #100: Purchased bottle online...should have bought more! Poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a beautiful light brown color with a decent, sticky 2 finger sized head. Good lacing on the glass and a nice level of beer clarity. Carbonation shines on through the light, caramel brown body. Perfect appearance for an American Brown Ale or a Smoked Beer.

The aroma was just delicious...really accentuated maple aroma, comes off sweet and malty. The smoked malts shine through a little bit in the background and really help to balance the flavors. Not much hop aroma at all, but that's fine with me, as hops would screw the whole aroma up.

The taste is like heaven's campfire! Really forward with the smoked flavor, and the maple takes more of a backseat. Notes of burnt sugar, overripe figs and honey all mingle together behind this extremely well-developed smoked beer veil. I am a huge fan of rauchbiers from Bamberg, Germany, and this really takes it to the next level, with multiple layers of smoke complexity. There is noticeable bacon and maple in the aftertaste and I think that I would want to try this beer with either some great applewood smoked bacon or a nice cigar.

The mouthfeel is good. It has a crisp and medium body, and the beer flavors are carried along by the active carbonation. This is not meant to be an overly heavy and full-bodied beer, so to those people out there complaining this beer is light for the style, you don't know what you are talking about.

Overall, I love this beer. I think because of the style, I couldn't drink much more than a half a bottle on my own, but this is an excellent food pairing item and I think that compared to other smoked beers out there, this one is at the top of its class! Keep in mind that the man who created this beer also created the most awarded American Smoked beer of all time, so to those BA's out there who hate smoked beer, or who just hate Rogue, lay off the haterade. This beer deserves a much better score than "mediocre."

4.27/5  rDev +52.5%

Appearance: Pours out a pale ale colour. Slight bubbly head. Quite clear.

Smell: First whiff: Unbelievable! Smells just like maple bacon frying on a sunday morning. There is a breadiness as well that lends to the doughnut part of the beer. Smoky.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma. Very much like a sunday morning breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes all in one drink! Huzah! Not much to speak of in terms of hop taste, but there is bitterness backed up by a malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: This is the only part of this beer I find lacking. It's too carbonated for a beer of such complex flavours. The flavour combination hits all the right places though and it is still enjoyable.

Overall: I can't quite understand why people rate this beer so low. It's called "Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale"...What do you expect it to taste like!? One might not agree with the flavours (a matter of personal taste), but Rogue accomplished precisely what they set out to do. It's a beer that tastes like a maple-bacon doughnut. Great job to the people of Rogue! Great conversation beer to share, especially in the big bottle.

4.26/5  rDev +52.1%

I've had this beer twice now, the first time cold, and now a 2nd time at slightly cooler than room temperature. Trust me when I say this beer is MUCH better when consumed at a warmer temperature.

Appearance - A dark, golden brown.

Smell - Beautiful smoked bacon. Sweet syrupy maple. This smell instantly takes me to a lumberjack breakfast table.

Taste - At cold to ice cold temperatures, I got almost nothing outside of a smoke flavor, not unlike Rogue's Smoke Ale. As the beer warmed, the flavors opened, first a hint of bacon, and as it arrived closer to room temp, the maple made it's debut. The 2nd time I tried this beer, I gave this only a brief cool down before opening (10 minutes in fridge), and the flavors were there in full force. A nice smokey applewood bacon flavor upfront, followed nicely on the tongue with a sweet maple which fades well into the aftertaste. Beautiful, complex malts which work their magic and somehow deliver on the promise of the label.

Mouthfeel - Considering the target, this is where the beer loses points. The beer is fairly thin, or at least thinner than one should expect for what this beer is presenting.

Overall - Had I reviewed this after my first experience, it would have been one of disappointment. Following up on my instincts and trying this beer at a warmer temperature brought out it's true nature. At $11-13 a bottle, the price is steep, but if it won't break your budget, it's certainly a beer I'd recommend trying. Gimmick beers don't usually work; this one does.

4.26/5  rDev +52.1%

Poured from a pepto colored bomber, thanks to a group effort of suffering Mississippians, 7 bottles made it to the Golden Triangle.

Pours a dark amber, tiny bit of head, nothing really special but o the smell, it's delicious, my stomach told me I needed some sweets as soon as I smelled it.
I liked the first sip a lot, carmelized maple glazed bacon? Sure thing! Not overly smokey but very very sweet without being sticky. Kind of a flat mouthfeel but great flavor. The more I drank of it the more malt flavor I got, this really tasted like what I imagine a bacon maple donut to taste like. If the mouthfeel had had something more to it, this would have been perfect.

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

Upon opening a bomber of this stuff, I noticed a very nice smell, not of beer but of candy. Is this beer?, I thought.

The voodoo pours a golden copper color with plenty of foam. I can see the bacon actually floating in the beer. Amazing!

In terms of taste, this beer is awesome! I can taste maple syrup and burnt bacon, not beer. Although the taste is great, it doesn't feel so great. My mouth says UGHH, although,

This is an awesome beer that I would try again.

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty ugly looking beer, hazy, off color, and looks unappealing. The smell is dead on though, you think that all those smoked malts would be over the top but it is well balanced.

The taste is pleasant, I am not a smoked beer fan but this was done well. Mouthfeel is a little thick though, really stays on your palate.

Overall a fun beer, I would have again.

4.24/5  rDev +51.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-pours a light amber color, not quite transparent, white head with average retention
S-maple syrup,bacon,bit of smokiness in the background
T-smoked malt and bacon flavor come up front, nice hop bitterness mixes in, then finishes with the sweret maple syrup and a hint of bacon again
M-medium-light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation
O-I loved this beer. I am a huge bacon fan and I thought it was unqiue, delicious,, and very drinkable for the flavors that went into. wouldn't buy it all the time but definitely a really cool beer to have once in awhile.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales