Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,669
4.48/5  rDev +43.1%

Pours a clear, bright dark orange-brown with a fluffy light tan head nearly 2" high. It settles to a solid 1/2" of almost creamy goodness.
Smell is .... breakfast! Maple, light smoke (bacon), sweet, malt. Buttermilk pancakes slathered in butter with maple syrup and bacon or maybe a maple-iced doughnut with sausage. I may have a new breakfast staple. Or not. A most amazing nose.
Taste is smoked malt, maple, sweet and tangy, light malt and a touch of hops and nut in the aftertaste. Fairly well balanced with smoke stepping ahead of the rest slightly.
Medium bodied, medium-plus effervescence. a bit of a drying finish. Smoke lingers with a touch of hops. A decent coating on the tongue is the only drawback to me.
This is really good, probably the best Rogue beer I've ever had except the Dead Guys.

4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

So, this is one of the most interesting beers that I can recall. It really smells just like breakfast on a campout. It's got the smell of a campfire, a little malple, some bacon on a cast iron skillet, and a pancake. Unbelievable. It's a fantastic, unyieldingly engaging smell. I simply love it. The appearance is of a clear amber, with a long-lasting, lace-producing white head. The taste is a little more restrained than the smell, but it has a distinctive smoke and maple quality. Sweet, but not overdone. The brewer got the balance just right...to sweet would have been distracting, and too dry would have made the smoke acrid. It's a wonderfully brewed beer.

4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

Serving - bottle

A - Dark redish amber color, decent head and good lacing throughout

S - smells like smokey bacon, a bit of maple hint to it as well, maybe a slight hop scent

T - taste just like bacon and maple

M - smooth, feels good, you'd expect a bacon and maple beer to be heavy, but this one is far from it, very light and nice

O - to me it tastes just like bacon and maple, so if you like the description on the bottle then I say go for it, because you should probably like the product inside

4.44/5  rDev +41.9%

Picked this up at Julio's and poured into my Duvel tulip. Review taken from notes.

A - Poured a crystal clear light coppery brown with a nice two finger creamy head that fades to leave a sudsy blanket and halo.

S - Maple galore. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Most people will knock this for smelling too mapley, no, not me. I love when a beer delivers on what it promises. This smells like someone dumped a bottle of maple syrup onto a few sausage links. Shockingly inviting and as sweet as maple syrup.

T - Wow! Maple...the beer oozes it. A one two punch of maple syrup with some light smokey bacon grease flavours lingering on the finish. Ends with a nice strong maple. And lingers with meaty bacon. Wow. Such a gimmick. But super enjoyable. Could see having this with breakfast easily.

M - My only knock with this, its a little thin and slightly flat.

O - Okay, I really, really like this. The maple is so powerful throughout and the finish and lingering taste is bacon and slight smoke. So enjoyable.

4.43/5  rDev +41.5%

Bomber into a pint glass (drank the whole pint and more it hurt to share after trying it)

A: I don't know what to look for but it is oddly maple syrupy and bacon brown semi opaque so i guess that is to style

S: it smells like declious maple bacon I wish I could live in this bottle, this smell is dead on.

T: I like it seriously I like it! Its starts of with a taste (malt or hops?) I can quite pinpoint it but it tastes like a beer. Then the after taste kicks in and it's a maple smoke banaza it tastes like it says it does! I say rogue nailed it !

M:thin but chewy almost like toffe very low carbonation but it suits the feel well

O: okay I expected to hate this but it's good it's not over powering
Smokey (and I usually hate smoky beers) and it tastes like advertised you can feel and taste the maple and bacon. I really don't understand how people dislike this and living in VT i know my way around a maple syrup beer, Its really good! Try it! seriously!

4.42/5  rDev +41.2%

OK, ok... I'll be honest, half the appeal was the bottle, I know, I know... BUT (if there is a saving grace) this is from Rogue, sooo I give myself a slight (if not fishy) pass on the bottle thing...

packaging rules. Hey, it is part of the overall thing and this one stands out in a conveyor belt of bombers.
slightly cloudy orange hue with lots of carbonation running wild up the glass, 1 and a half fingers of white foam (craggy asteroid type) rise up, decent lacing and the head retention is good. a good looking brew.

straight up log cabin maple syrup, if I was blindfolded I would swear that is what this is, I can practically taste eggo waffles smelling this, unbelievable maple nose on this, I have never had anything this potent in terms of that note, the smoke is incredibly difficult to detect, really this fills up your nose with sweet maple like mad. hard to score this, sure, it is one sided but man alive the smell is off the charts

taste etc...
it drinks like it smells - very maple-y, there is an initial hop blast of bitterness and then the maple.. and then some of the smoked bacon smoke/herbs, it is hard to flesh this one out! the carbonation is nice and bright and keeps this from being mouth puckering-ly sweet, I find myself liking the strangeness of this beer, it does kind of wind up tasting like a light maple-y donut with some other flavors floating around in there. For the amount of flavor it has the body is fairly light (adding to the drink-ability)

to rate this as a smoke beer is unfair, it is a beer in it's own space. I think this one more than most might be a love/hate beer. I'm a lover not a fighter so.... I am friggin' loving this thing! This is a unique beer and proof that Rogue is still out there quietly exploring the corners of the beer possible. Take a chance on this one, you may fall under the spell of the Serpent and the Rainbow...

4.33/5  rDev +38.3%

I poured this strange beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The thought of a greasy beer really worrying me. The beer was a light amber color with tan head that was thick and showing great lacing. Apple wood smoke and maple flavors oozing out of the glass really smelled good. I smoke with apple wood weekly so I know what I'm talking about. The taste was really quite startling. Smokey maplealy taste for sure. I got no bacon taste at all, yet my wife said she did. I liked the beer for a crazy taste experience. I would buy it again to change things up.

4.32/5  rDev +38%

Appearance – A dark amber color with a thin layer of gold along the top. A nice thick head that dissipates to a few small spots and a small ring around the glass.

Smell – A sweet maple smell which really smells a lot like a maple donut. There is also a light smoky smell, which reminds me of sizzling bacon. This is a great smelling beer!

Taste – The smokiness dominates the flavor and it’s a much stronger than expected compared to the smell. At first, I didn't like it since I was expecting something sweeter from the nose, but once I knew what to expect of the taste, I felt it was a quality smoked beer. It’s more of a woody smoke flavor than a bacon smoke flavor and is similar to many rauchbiers I've tried.

Mouthfeel – Medium body, medium carbonation; it felt right for the style.

Drinkability – Perhaps a bit too smokey to be super drinkable, but if you enjoy rauchbier you shouldn't be disappointed.

4.31/5  rDev +37.7%

Review #100: Purchased bottle online...should have bought more! Poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a beautiful light brown color with a decent, sticky 2 finger sized head. Good lacing on the glass and a nice level of beer clarity. Carbonation shines on through the light, caramel brown body. Perfect appearance for an American Brown Ale or a Smoked Beer.

The aroma was just delicious...really accentuated maple aroma, comes off sweet and malty. The smoked malts shine through a little bit in the background and really help to balance the flavors. Not much hop aroma at all, but that's fine with me, as hops would screw the whole aroma up.

The taste is like heaven's campfire! Really forward with the smoked flavor, and the maple takes more of a backseat. Notes of burnt sugar, overripe figs and honey all mingle together behind this extremely well-developed smoked beer veil. I am a huge fan of rauchbiers from Bamberg, Germany, and this really takes it to the next level, with multiple layers of smoke complexity. There is noticeable bacon and maple in the aftertaste and I think that I would want to try this beer with either some great applewood smoked bacon or a nice cigar.

The mouthfeel is good. It has a crisp and medium body, and the beer flavors are carried along by the active carbonation. This is not meant to be an overly heavy and full-bodied beer, so to those people out there complaining this beer is light for the style, you don't know what you are talking about.

Overall, I love this beer. I think because of the style, I couldn't drink much more than a half a bottle on my own, but this is an excellent food pairing item and I think that compared to other smoked beers out there, this one is at the top of its class! Keep in mind that the man who created this beer also created the most awarded American Smoked beer of all time, so to those BA's out there who hate smoked beer, or who just hate Rogue, lay off the haterade. This beer deserves a much better score than "mediocre."

4.27/5  rDev +36.4%

Appearance: Pours out a pale ale colour. Slight bubbly head. Quite clear.

Smell: First whiff: Unbelievable! Smells just like maple bacon frying on a sunday morning. There is a breadiness as well that lends to the doughnut part of the beer. Smoky.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma. Very much like a sunday morning breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes all in one drink! Huzah! Not much to speak of in terms of hop taste, but there is bitterness backed up by a malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: This is the only part of this beer I find lacking. It's too carbonated for a beer of such complex flavours. The flavour combination hits all the right places though and it is still enjoyable.

Overall: I can't quite understand why people rate this beer so low. It's called "Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale"...What do you expect it to taste like!? One might not agree with the flavours (a matter of personal taste), but Rogue accomplished precisely what they set out to do. It's a beer that tastes like a maple-bacon doughnut. Great job to the people of Rogue! Great conversation beer to share, especially in the big bottle.

4.26/5  rDev +36.1%

I've had this beer twice now, the first time cold, and now a 2nd time at slightly cooler than room temperature. Trust me when I say this beer is MUCH better when consumed at a warmer temperature.

Appearance - A dark, golden brown.

Smell - Beautiful smoked bacon. Sweet syrupy maple. This smell instantly takes me to a lumberjack breakfast table.

Taste - At cold to ice cold temperatures, I got almost nothing outside of a smoke flavor, not unlike Rogue's Smoke Ale. As the beer warmed, the flavors opened, first a hint of bacon, and as it arrived closer to room temp, the maple made it's debut. The 2nd time I tried this beer, I gave this only a brief cool down before opening (10 minutes in fridge), and the flavors were there in full force. A nice smokey applewood bacon flavor upfront, followed nicely on the tongue with a sweet maple which fades well into the aftertaste. Beautiful, complex malts which work their magic and somehow deliver on the promise of the label.

Mouthfeel - Considering the target, this is where the beer loses points. The beer is fairly thin, or at least thinner than one should expect for what this beer is presenting.

Overall - Had I reviewed this after my first experience, it would have been one of disappointment. Following up on my instincts and trying this beer at a warmer temperature brought out it's true nature. At $11-13 a bottle, the price is steep, but if it won't break your budget, it's certainly a beer I'd recommend trying. Gimmick beers don't usually work; this one does.

4.26/5  rDev +36.1%

Poured from a pepto colored bomber, thanks to a group effort of suffering Mississippians, 7 bottles made it to the Golden Triangle.

Pours a dark amber, tiny bit of head, nothing really special but o the smell, it's delicious, my stomach told me I needed some sweets as soon as I smelled it.
I liked the first sip a lot, carmelized maple glazed bacon? Sure thing! Not overly smokey but very very sweet without being sticky. Kind of a flat mouthfeel but great flavor. The more I drank of it the more malt flavor I got, this really tasted like what I imagine a bacon maple donut to taste like. If the mouthfeel had had something more to it, this would have been perfect.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

Upon opening a bomber of this stuff, I noticed a very nice smell, not of beer but of candy. Is this beer?, I thought.

The voodoo pours a golden copper color with plenty of foam. I can see the bacon actually floating in the beer. Amazing!

In terms of taste, this beer is awesome! I can taste maple syrup and burnt bacon, not beer. Although the taste is great, it doesn't feel so great. My mouth says UGHH, although,

This is an awesome beer that I would try again.

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty ugly looking beer, hazy, off color, and looks unappealing. The smell is dead on though, you think that all those smoked malts would be over the top but it is well balanced.

The taste is pleasant, I am not a smoked beer fan but this was done well. Mouthfeel is a little thick though, really stays on your palate.

Overall a fun beer, I would have again.

4.24/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-pours a light amber color, not quite transparent, white head with average retention
S-maple syrup,bacon,bit of smokiness in the background
T-smoked malt and bacon flavor come up front, nice hop bitterness mixes in, then finishes with the sweret maple syrup and a hint of bacon again
M-medium-light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation
O-I loved this beer. I am a huge bacon fan and I thought it was unqiue, delicious,, and very drinkable for the flavors that went into. wouldn't buy it all the time but definitely a really cool beer to have once in awhile.

4.24/5  rDev +35.5%

No freshness dating

A= Pours a deep amber color with an off white head that rises to a finger high and holds solid lacing and some decent retention.

S= Maple and smoke all the way. Actually smells a lot like maple bacon or a delicious dessert. The smell is unreal. The smokiness is tame compared to the sugary sweet maple aroma and the biscuity malt but it is there holding the breakfast odor up.

T= The smoke plays a more dominate role in the taste with the maple following up behind. This isn't as bad as I've heard it to be. I've heard nothing but really bad things about this beer but it's not that bad. Actually a little better than I expected being that it is a beer trying to replicate a breakfast. All components are present from the smoke to the maple sweetness following behind it.

M= Smooth and smokey.

O= This beer is better than people have made it sound. It's a beer that tastes like breakfast. Actually pretty easy drinking and the smoke is at a tame enough level for everyone to enjoy. Pick up a bottle go try it because it's unique that's for sure.

4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

Well the beer is a hazy orangeish amber in hue with a thick off-white, close knit head that dissapates at a medium pace and doesn't leave any lacing. Certainly the weirdest presentation of a beer I've ever had with its interesting pink bottle and design. And of course the concept is a little out there too. But hey, any beer is worth a shot.

Smells pretty much like the bottle's description: bacon covered in maple syrup. A lot of smoked malt gives that distinctive bacony aroma, much like other rauschbiers that I've tried. There is an added sweetness to this nose however, obviously from the maple syrup. This gives the beer an odd pancake-like aroma that leads me to believe that this will be a cloying taste experience. I'm hoping that there will be enough hops and other flavors to give this concept beer some balance.

Ok well the first sip is not too bad. There is some balance to it while still tasting smoky and bacony as all get out. This smokiness dominates the middle and back, with that maple syrup not being as cloying as I had expected. But it does come out, especially up front. It intermingles with the smokiness, playing off the applewood-smoked bacon very well, both the sweetnesses of the applewood and the syrup finding a certain harmony with each other. The hops do find their way through the odd flavor pairing and add a bit of balance, keeping the sweetness from going to the cloying side. The malt, as well as being very smoky, is pretty bready and adds a nice full body to the beer. The carbonation is understated, giving it a feel that is not quite slick. The finish is long, with a lingering aftertaste of guess what? Bacon and maple syrup, and a touch of hops.

Overall, I actually really am enjoying this beer. The uniqueness alone gives it a leg up for me, but really its a pretty classic rauschbier--only with a bit of actual bacon to emphasize the smokiness and maple syrup to make it sweeter, which balances out the smoke. I fully expected this to be a cloying mess, but I have no problem drinking this at all. The flavors are all vibrant and the hops keep some of it at bay without taking away from the theme of this concept beer. I'm really glad my girlfriend picked this out as it has piqued my interest a bit more in the smoked beer style. Interesting concept that Rogue did a good job of bringing to life.

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A- Hazy/cloudy light amber body, decent off white head, with little retention. Not much lacing at all. Looks nice though.

S- Smokey maple... Lots of smokiness! Can't seem to get the bacon out of there, but it smelled great, not very complex, just inviting.

T- Your palate follows the nose! Smokey maple, applewood bacon, you can't really get all the malts or hop flavor out of this, but I still enjoyed it very much.

MF- medium body, medium-sharp carbonation. flavor hangs around a lot.

O- As much ingredients that were added into this beer, you really just get hit head on with the smoked maple malts. If you like that smokiness it's a great beer to try, and I liked it a lot. I definitely want to give it another go. This isn't an overly complex beer, though you would think it is. It all depends on your taste if you want this ale in your mouth. Not bad at all though.

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Pours with a very light tannish-colored head into a Duvel tulip glass quickly settling over hazy light orange tinged liquid. The nose is very interesting...I can surely differentiate both the maple and smoke components. Get a little malt sweetness in the back. Thin mouthfeel gives way to again the maple and smoke/bacon notes...all well balanced with a low level of hop bitterness. Quite complex. The finish is short lived but on a maple note. Interesting to try, and I could drink a six of these if that was available. Hats off to the gang at Rogue for this unusual beer..and to my girlfriend for buying it! Breakfast in a bottle.

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Bottle shared at a recent bottle share. Poured at ~5C into 5 oz sampling glasses.

Pours clear amber with little head and no lacing. Maple bacon aroma, nails what it claims to be. A body with tons of flavour: fake maple, butter, light smoke, sweetness, syrup, pork, honey ham & bacon. Stunningly good.I actually can't believe it is this good. Honey ham. Exceeds expectations, as I thought this beer was going to be a cluster-cuss. The beer gets meatier as it warms. Can't drink more than 4 oz.

4.17/5  rDev +33.2%

Appearance- Pours a coppery amber hue with a finger width of foamy off white head that quickly fades.

Smell- Smoky bacon, applewood, hickory, maple syrup. Sweet smelling breakfast in a glass. Bacon and maple smell was detectable upon opening the bottle.

Taste- Smokiness from the bacon and malts, followed by sweetness from the maple syrup and malts. Very subtle hops presence. There is a nice harmonious balance of flavours.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Slightly sticky and a tad thin but the thinness does not bring down the overall body.

Overall- A well executed brew with well balanced flavours by Rogue. You get what the bottle says and makes for a great experiment for the curious palate. I would maybe try this once more in the future, perhaps sharing a bottle with friends.

4.14/5  rDev +32.3%

This beer was poured from an incredible pink bottle with some Voodoo inspired art work. Nice. It was poured INTO a glass stein.

Appearance- It has three-fingers of toffee colored head that is extremely bubbly and soapy. The body is a modest orange-amber with tons of carbonation streams. The head retention is so-so and it certainly doesn't bother to leave behind any lace.

Smell- By far, the best smelling smoked beer I have had the pleasure of sniffing. If not one of the best beers in general I've ever put my nose to. The bacon fat was noticeable when I capped the bottle, and it certainly isn't going away any time soon.

My girlfriend said it "smells like breakfast". There is also loads of maple syrup, sugary sweet, and some wood smoke. Someone cooked bacon over a wood fire and drizzled maple syrup on top.That is my kind of breakfast.

Taste- It is good that this is classified as a smoked beer, because that is certainly what the expectation should be when you take the first sip. It starts with the smoked pork flavor and by mid drink you have the general wood smokiness.

The finish doesn't back off on the smoke, but does present a little malt sweetness that I guess you could say was syrupy, but I'm not really sensing maple syrup there. And again bacon grease is coming back once the drink is swallowed.

It tastes good if you are grading this as a smoked beer. Unfortunately, any kind of doughnut or maple quality is buried by the smoke and bacon flavors.

Mouth feel- This is the weakest aspect of the beer. It is entirely too light if there is supposed to be syrup and cake doughnut notes. It needs to be so much creamier, and bordering on full, and not bordering on medium bodied as is.

And with the strong smoke on the palate, it finishes a little more intense and dry than I would like.

Overall- Bottom line, it isn't the earth shattering bacon -doughnut beer that people hoped for, and I'm not sure whether I should be disappointed with Rogue or not. Because really, if you are a fan of smoked beer, there is absolutely no reason to track this one down, even if it is a one time drink.

On the nose, you have maple syrup drizzled bacon that jumps out of the glass. On the palate, you have bacon grease and smoke. A brewing company like Rogue certainly will not apologize for such a beer, and they have no reason to apologize to me.

4.14/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw this release many months ago from afar, thinking it would never reach Australian shores—fair enough, it didn't, but I hit American shores and looked it up myself.

Pours a pleasant clear amber hue with lots of fizzling carbonation feeding a very solid and stolid off-white head. Light bodied, but it's not a huge beer ABV-wise. Looks decent enough.

Ooh, nose is yes oh yes just what I wanted. Pleasantly organic smoky notes sitting above a woody, genuine maple sweetness, giving it an overt, almost intentionally sickly character, which, let's face it, is what you want out of a beer with a bright pink bottle. The smoke is really pleasant and directed, giving a wood-fired note, but always reminiscent of the sweetness inherent in the beer. Wonderful stuff.

Taste is a lot lighter, and the lack of body harms it, meaning that it can't actually sustain a genuine sweetness. Here, the smoke gives a slight crisp harshness on the front, which eventually slides away into a cushioning bed of maple essence and nutty malt characters. It's still very pleasant, and the maple syrup and the smoky characters still pronounce themselves fully—it's just that it doesn't really deliver that sweetness and fullness that you expect.

Overall, though, this is an excitingly different beer, and one that genuinely does do a good job of blending all the maple-bacon goodness that you expect. It's not as sweet on the palate as I thought it might have been, and that might aid it a little, but still, it's thoroughly intriguing and very enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev +31.6%

I actually like this. I think it delivers what it promises. There are definite smokey bacon notes, strong hints of maple and a noticeable sweetness that reminds me of fresh Krispy Kremes.

Shocking orange colour with a nice white head. Smoked meat - i.e. bacon - in the nose, maple notes, and sweet, sweet malts. Dough, hints of vanilla.

Strong smoked malt flavour when cold, but as this warms, the maple bacon flavours dominate, with a light, doughy malt background. Forget hops - this is all malts.

Good mouthfeel, low carb. Great beer to finish the night with.

Side note - bottle says 30 degrees Lovibond, which would put it in the colour range of a porter...not sure how Rogue came up with that.

4.12/5  rDev +31.6%

Since I love the Voodoo bacon maple doughnut, I had to try this, and found it surprisingly good.

Slightly hazy dark copper, medium-big pale tan head steadily shrinking.

Aroma is smoky bacon, maple, hint of bread.

Taste is dryish lightly smoky grain, dry toasty bread crust, lightly bitter leafiness, lightly spritzy, light maple aftertaste with hint of smoky grain and bacon. It's great and surprisingly enjoyable.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales