Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)

Belittle, Apr 29, 2014

babyak75, May 02, 2014

OUJayhawk1799, Jul 30, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +78.2%

I know this is a divisive beer but it does what it wants, which is more thanmost beers do
A- nice semi dark amber, all beer is pretty too me, but I love the bottle art'
S - maple n slightly smoked malts
T- follows the nose very mapley minor smokey notes
M - super drinkable
O - no this isn't the best beer ive had but my god does it try to be special and it is different from anything ive ever drank I love it

vicsju1991, Mar 06, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +77.9%

This beer is amazing. I've been waiting to find this gem and it was worth the wait. The scent of this beer is pure maple. As soon as the beer hits your tongue, your senses are flooded with bacon. The maple hits you after, leaving almost a coating in your mouth. On the back end, you do seem to pick up the donut flavor. Overall, it is an incredible beer. I wasn't sure how these flavors would work together in a beer, but it is a perfect combination. Like breakfast in your mouth! I picked up an extra bottle at Total Wine and was assured that they would be ordering a larger quantity in the future!

BeerTaster727, Jul 01, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +76.8%

Wow, the name just conjures the image of a drooling Homer Simpson.

A beautiful amber hue with a white head greets the eye. It does resemble a smoked beer after all. I wasn't expecting something darker so it fits.

Ohhhh, glazed maple donuts, wrapped in applewood smoked bacon. Wow. I love this. I don't care what everyone else says. This is unique. I need more bottles of it!

Beechwood, applewood, cherrywood, hickory and maple explode in my mouth. Oh my god. Ohhh. It's an orgasm in my mouth!

Dry finish too! Like the aftertaste of a finely smoked meat. Wow. Just wow.

This beer will probably not appeal to everyone. I am in love though and I will add that as a Vermonter, I have beers with maple added and this is an amazing effort.

Forgive me fellow BAs, for I have sinned....at the altar of the almighty bacon!

Brad007, Nov 04, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +75%

this beer is amazing... exactly what the beer says....750 of the pink bottle. taste is much lighter than you would assume.... after the first taste i had a strong maple syrup flavor, almost like after you ate something with maple syrup. but the beer is lighter than you'ld assume and it is much more drinkable than you'ld think. its definately something yould want to drink once and maybe more if you were into the flavor... very delicious

beerdepartment, Apr 07, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +73.2%

11 month old bottle.

A - A really nice looking beer. Bright nectarine amber body. Fine bubbled, off-white head with great retention and ok lace.

S - Wow, delicious crispy meaty bacon, real maple syrup, and waffles.

T - Stellar smokey salty bacon with touch of sweet maple over a blanket of malt. Think bacon waffle batter, slow cooked in a hickory wood smoker. Lingering maple finish lasts for freak'n ever.

M - Thick and creamy, with a low level of carbonation that works well for the flavor profile.

O - Best smoke beer I've ever had. If you're a fan of smoke beers, you need to find yourself one of these.

vfgccp, Aug 27, 2012

sliberty, Apr 25, 2013

DasBoot2112, Nov 10, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

Got this as part of a trade with hoparoundnw2337.

A - Gogeous dark amber with a cloudy unfiltered look.

S - WOOOW!! So much aroma to this beer! Tons of sweet maple syrup and smokey bacon.

T - If you don't like the taste of maple syrup don't buy this beer. I for one love maple syrup and this beer tastes just like some smoked bacon dipped in awesome Oregon maple syrup. The sweet syrup flavor comes first with the smokey bacon coming in late and lasting forever.

M - Nothing special here. nice body to it, not to thin, not to thick. Good carbonation, making it very drinkable.

O - This beer is a very different spin on a beer style that for the most part is very plain. The range of flavors are incredible. I for one appreciate the creativeness it took to create this beer.

rogueleonardi, Feb 13, 2012

shick1, Mar 03, 2013

rusty3335, Apr 11, 2012

JeffTheJuice, Apr 29, 2012

IRONRakkasan, Mar 11, 2012

creez, Mar 24, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +65.4%

A-Amber colored with a thick dark cream colored head.

S-okay this smells like a maple bacon donut. Definitely smoked bacon. Smells like something I want to eat.

T-comes in with an awesome sweet smokiness. It sorta resembles bacon but I definitely get some maple. It tastes like smoked applewood. It's awesome actually. The after-taste is awesome flavor of sweet smoke. The flavors are clean and clear.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-okay, I love this. It tastes better than any other smoke beer I've ever had. I admittedly love the style though. This is wonderful. The flavors are strong and goes down so well!

AdamBear, Aug 09, 2012
4.56/5  rDev +62.9%

kudos200, Aug 12, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +61.8%

Fresh cases of this arrived today in the store, so I picked up a bomber and poured it into a Founders pint glass.

A - Amber/deep orange with a beige head 2cm thick. Very clear and a nice looking beer. The head dissipates fairly quickly for a lower gravity beer.

S - This is where the beer truly shines. Heavy maple with a solid smoke. Reading the bottle, there is cherry malt, beech malt, and the applewood smoked bacon. There is a strong booze that hits you in the middle and then fades into the maple and smoke. This is the maple I wish I could infuse into my beers. Its like the pure maple candy from New Hampshire. The maple and a little smoke win out in the end.

T - The flavor is clearly dominated by the smoke. It leaves me wishing I had some good, slow smoked pork or brisket. The bottle suggests that this beer goes with pork or doughnuts. I am shocked at how well this beer goes with sweet foods. I would say you should try this with a doughnut (bacon or maple glazed if you can get your hands on it) and test the theory yourself. The booze is mild on the taste and the malts (Crystal and Munich) remain in the background aside from the smoke.

M - This beer really sticks around with you on the palate with a heavy residual sugar. The carbonation was also pretty high, so the flavors really opened up on the palate. There is a little bit of astringency in there as well that hides with the IBU (pretty sure its from the smoked malt, almost like a peat in scotch).

O - I wish I had tried this sooner. I was a bit afraid to try it because either you love it or you hate it, but I love it. It has a sweet finish and a lot of smoke. The bacon is in there too, but not too heavy. I say give it a try, but only if you like smoked beers.

4/17/2013

brewski09, Apr 18, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +61.8%

Serving - bottle

A - Dark redish amber color, decent head and good lacing throughout

S - smells like smokey bacon, a bit of maple hint to it as well, maybe a slight hop scent

T - taste just like bacon and maple

M - smooth, feels good, you'd expect a bacon and maple beer to be heavy, but this one is far from it, very light and nice

O - to me it tastes just like bacon and maple, so if you like the description on the bottle then I say go for it, because you should probably like the product inside

ncsutton, Apr 13, 2012