Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon AleVoodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,664
4.26/5  rDev +36.1%

I've had this beer twice now, the first time cold, and now a 2nd time at slightly cooler than room temperature. Trust me when I say this beer is MUCH better when consumed at a warmer temperature.

Appearance - A dark, golden brown.

Smell - Beautiful smoked bacon. Sweet syrupy maple. This smell instantly takes me to a lumberjack breakfast table.

Taste - At cold to ice cold temperatures, I got almost nothing outside of a smoke flavor, not unlike Rogue's Smoke Ale. As the beer warmed, the flavors opened, first a hint of bacon, and as it arrived closer to room temp, the maple made it's debut. The 2nd time I tried this beer, I gave this only a brief cool down before opening (10 minutes in fridge), and the flavors were there in full force. A nice smokey applewood bacon flavor upfront, followed nicely on the tongue with a sweet maple which fades well into the aftertaste. Beautiful, complex malts which work their magic and somehow deliver on the promise of the label.

Mouthfeel - Considering the target, this is where the beer loses points. The beer is fairly thin, or at least thinner than one should expect for what this beer is presenting.

Overall - Had I reviewed this after my first experience, it would have been one of disappointment. Following up on my instincts and trying this beer at a warmer temperature brought out it's true nature. At $11-13 a bottle, the price is steep, but if it won't break your budget, it's certainly a beer I'd recommend trying. Gimmick beers don't usually work; this one does. (1,526 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +36.1%

Poured from a pepto colored bomber, thanks to a group effort of suffering Mississippians, 7 bottles made it to the Golden Triangle.

Pours a dark amber, tiny bit of head, nothing really special but o the smell, it's delicious, my stomach told me I needed some sweets as soon as I smelled it.
I liked the first sip a lot, carmelized maple glazed bacon? Sure thing! Not overly smokey but very very sweet without being sticky. Kind of a flat mouthfeel but great flavor. The more I drank of it the more malt flavor I got, this really tasted like what I imagine a bacon maple donut to taste like. If the mouthfeel had had something more to it, this would have been perfect. (669 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%

Upon opening a bomber of this stuff, I noticed a very nice smell, not of beer but of candy. Is this beer?, I thought.

The voodoo pours a golden copper color with plenty of foam. I can see the bacon actually floating in the beer. Amazing!

In terms of taste, this beer is awesome! I can taste maple syrup and burnt bacon, not beer. Although the taste is great, it doesn't feel so great. My mouth says UGHH, although,

This is an awesome beer that I would try again. (465 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty ugly looking beer, hazy, off color, and looks unappealing. The smell is dead on though, you think that all those smoked malts would be over the top but it is well balanced.

The taste is pleasant, I am not a smoked beer fan but this was done well. Mouthfeel is a little thick though, really stays on your palate.

Overall a fun beer, I would have again. (362 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-pours a light amber color, not quite transparent, white head with average retention
S-maple syrup,bacon,bit of smokiness in the background
T-smoked malt and bacon flavor come up front, nice hop bitterness mixes in, then finishes with the sweret maple syrup and a hint of bacon again
M-medium-light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation
O-I loved this beer. I am a huge bacon fan and I thought it was unqiue, delicious,, and very drinkable for the flavors that went into. wouldn't buy it all the time but definitely a really cool beer to have once in awhile. (562 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +35.5%

No freshness dating

A= Pours a deep amber color with an off white head that rises to a finger high and holds solid lacing and some decent retention.

S= Maple and smoke all the way. Actually smells a lot like maple bacon or a delicious dessert. The smell is unreal. The smokiness is tame compared to the sugary sweet maple aroma and the biscuity malt but it is there holding the breakfast odor up.

T= The smoke plays a more dominate role in the taste with the maple following up behind. This isn't as bad as I've heard it to be. I've heard nothing but really bad things about this beer but it's not that bad. Actually a little better than I expected being that it is a beer trying to replicate a breakfast. All components are present from the smoke to the maple sweetness following behind it.

M= Smooth and smokey.

O= This beer is better than people have made it sound. It's a beer that tastes like breakfast. Actually pretty easy drinking and the smoke is at a tame enough level for everyone to enjoy. Pick up a bottle go try it because it's unique that's for sure. (1,070 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +34.2%

Well the beer is a hazy orangeish amber in hue with a thick off-white, close knit head that dissapates at a medium pace and doesn't leave any lacing. Certainly the weirdest presentation of a beer I've ever had with its interesting pink bottle and design. And of course the concept is a little out there too. But hey, any beer is worth a shot.

Smells pretty much like the bottle's description: bacon covered in maple syrup. A lot of smoked malt gives that distinctive bacony aroma, much like other rauschbiers that I've tried. There is an added sweetness to this nose however, obviously from the maple syrup. This gives the beer an odd pancake-like aroma that leads me to believe that this will be a cloying taste experience. I'm hoping that there will be enough hops and other flavors to give this concept beer some balance.

Ok well the first sip is not too bad. There is some balance to it while still tasting smoky and bacony as all get out. This smokiness dominates the middle and back, with that maple syrup not being as cloying as I had expected. But it does come out, especially up front. It intermingles with the smokiness, playing off the applewood-smoked bacon very well, both the sweetnesses of the applewood and the syrup finding a certain harmony with each other. The hops do find their way through the odd flavor pairing and add a bit of balance, keeping the sweetness from going to the cloying side. The malt, as well as being very smoky, is pretty bready and adds a nice full body to the beer. The carbonation is understated, giving it a feel that is not quite slick. The finish is long, with a lingering aftertaste of guess what? Bacon and maple syrup, and a touch of hops.

Overall, I actually really am enjoying this beer. The uniqueness alone gives it a leg up for me, but really its a pretty classic rauschbier--only with a bit of actual bacon to emphasize the smokiness and maple syrup to make it sweeter, which balances out the smoke. I fully expected this to be a cloying mess, but I have no problem drinking this at all. The flavors are all vibrant and the hops keep some of it at bay without taking away from the theme of this concept beer. I'm really glad my girlfriend picked this out as it has piqued my interest a bit more in the smoked beer style. Interesting concept that Rogue did a good job of bringing to life. (2,348 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A- Hazy/cloudy light amber body, decent off white head, with little retention. Not much lacing at all. Looks nice though.

S- Smokey maple... Lots of smokiness! Can't seem to get the bacon out of there, but it smelled great, not very complex, just inviting.

T- Your palate follows the nose! Smokey maple, applewood bacon, you can't really get all the malts or hop flavor out of this, but I still enjoyed it very much.

MF- medium body, medium-sharp carbonation. flavor hangs around a lot.

O- As much ingredients that were added into this beer, you really just get hit head on with the smoked maple malts. If you like that smokiness it's a great beer to try, and I liked it a lot. I definitely want to give it another go. This isn't an overly complex beer, though you would think it is. It all depends on your taste if you want this ale in your mouth. Not bad at all though. (915 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Pours with a very light tannish-colored head into a Duvel tulip glass quickly settling over hazy light orange tinged liquid. The nose is very interesting...I can surely differentiate both the maple and smoke components. Get a little malt sweetness in the back. Thin mouthfeel gives way to again the maple and smoke/bacon notes...all well balanced with a low level of hop bitterness. Quite complex. The finish is short lived but on a maple note. Interesting to try, and I could drink a six of these if that was available. Hats off to the gang at Rogue for this unusual beer..and to my girlfriend for buying it! Breakfast in a bottle. (632 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Bottle shared at a recent bottle share. Poured at ~5C into 5 oz sampling glasses.

Pours clear amber with little head and no lacing. Maple bacon aroma, nails what it claims to be. A body with tons of flavour: fake maple, butter, light smoke, sweetness, syrup, pork, honey ham & bacon. Stunningly good.I actually can't believe it is this good. Honey ham. Exceeds expectations, as I thought this beer was going to be a cluster-cuss. The beer gets meatier as it warms. Can't drink more than 4 oz. (493 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +33.2%

Appearance- Pours a coppery amber hue with a finger width of foamy off white head that quickly fades.

Smell- Smoky bacon, applewood, hickory, maple syrup. Sweet smelling breakfast in a glass. Bacon and maple smell was detectable upon opening the bottle.

Taste- Smokiness from the bacon and malts, followed by sweetness from the maple syrup and malts. Very subtle hops presence. There is a nice harmonious balance of flavours.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Slightly sticky and a tad thin but the thinness does not bring down the overall body.

Overall- A well executed brew with well balanced flavours by Rogue. You get what the bottle says and makes for a great experiment for the curious palate. I would maybe try this once more in the future, perhaps sharing a bottle with friends. (806 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +32.3%

This beer was poured from an incredible pink bottle with some Voodoo inspired art work. Nice. It was poured INTO a glass stein.

Appearance- It has three-fingers of toffee colored head that is extremely bubbly and soapy. The body is a modest orange-amber with tons of carbonation streams. The head retention is so-so and it certainly doesn't bother to leave behind any lace.

Smell- By far, the best smelling smoked beer I have had the pleasure of sniffing. If not one of the best beers in general I've ever put my nose to. The bacon fat was noticeable when I capped the bottle, and it certainly isn't going away any time soon.

My girlfriend said it "smells like breakfast". There is also loads of maple syrup, sugary sweet, and some wood smoke. Someone cooked bacon over a wood fire and drizzled maple syrup on top.That is my kind of breakfast.

Taste- It is good that this is classified as a smoked beer, because that is certainly what the expectation should be when you take the first sip. It starts with the smoked pork flavor and by mid drink you have the general wood smokiness.

The finish doesn't back off on the smoke, but does present a little malt sweetness that I guess you could say was syrupy, but I'm not really sensing maple syrup there. And again bacon grease is coming back once the drink is swallowed.

It tastes good if you are grading this as a smoked beer. Unfortunately, any kind of doughnut or maple quality is buried by the smoke and bacon flavors.

Mouth feel- This is the weakest aspect of the beer. It is entirely too light if there is supposed to be syrup and cake doughnut notes. It needs to be so much creamier, and bordering on full, and not bordering on medium bodied as is.

And with the strong smoke on the palate, it finishes a little more intense and dry than I would like.

Overall- Bottom line, it isn't the earth shattering bacon -doughnut beer that people hoped for, and I'm not sure whether I should be disappointed with Rogue or not. Because really, if you are a fan of smoked beer, there is absolutely no reason to track this one down, even if it is a one time drink.

On the nose, you have maple syrup drizzled bacon that jumps out of the glass. On the palate, you have bacon grease and smoke. A brewing company like Rogue certainly will not apologize for such a beer, and they have no reason to apologize to me. (2,360 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw this release many months ago from afar, thinking it would never reach Australian shores—fair enough, it didn't, but I hit American shores and looked it up myself.

Pours a pleasant clear amber hue with lots of fizzling carbonation feeding a very solid and stolid off-white head. Light bodied, but it's not a huge beer ABV-wise. Looks decent enough.

Ooh, nose is yes oh yes just what I wanted. Pleasantly organic smoky notes sitting above a woody, genuine maple sweetness, giving it an overt, almost intentionally sickly character, which, let's face it, is what you want out of a beer with a bright pink bottle. The smoke is really pleasant and directed, giving a wood-fired note, but always reminiscent of the sweetness inherent in the beer. Wonderful stuff.

Taste is a lot lighter, and the lack of body harms it, meaning that it can't actually sustain a genuine sweetness. Here, the smoke gives a slight crisp harshness on the front, which eventually slides away into a cushioning bed of maple essence and nutty malt characters. It's still very pleasant, and the maple syrup and the smoky characters still pronounce themselves fully—it's just that it doesn't really deliver that sweetness and fullness that you expect.

Overall, though, this is an excitingly different beer, and one that genuinely does do a good job of blending all the maple-bacon goodness that you expect. It's not as sweet on the palate as I thought it might have been, and that might aid it a little, but still, it's thoroughly intriguing and very enjoyable. (1,542 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +31.6%

I actually like this. I think it delivers what it promises. There are definite smokey bacon notes, strong hints of maple and a noticeable sweetness that reminds me of fresh Krispy Kremes.

Shocking orange colour with a nice white head. Smoked meat - i.e. bacon - in the nose, maple notes, and sweet, sweet malts. Dough, hints of vanilla.

Strong smoked malt flavour when cold, but as this warms, the maple bacon flavours dominate, with a light, doughy malt background. Forget hops - this is all malts.

Good mouthfeel, low carb. Great beer to finish the night with.

Side note - bottle says 30 degrees Lovibond, which would put it in the colour range of a porter...not sure how Rogue came up with that. (703 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +31.6%

Since I love the Voodoo bacon maple doughnut, I had to try this, and found it surprisingly good.

Slightly hazy dark copper, medium-big pale tan head steadily shrinking.

Aroma is smoky bacon, maple, hint of bread.

Taste is dryish lightly smoky grain, dry toasty bread crust, lightly bitter leafiness, lightly spritzy, light maple aftertaste with hint of smoky grain and bacon. It's great and surprisingly enjoyable. (417 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +31.3%

A friend of mine showed me this bottle and I was so curious I scoured BA to find this treasure no matter what the rating.
It came it a trade with a great BA member and waited to share this with some friends at one of our bottle nights. I was expecting a darking color from this one but I don't know why. It was a maple syrup color with a thin light head poured into a snifter. The aroma of smoke and maple is immediate in this one. If you look at the list of ingredients you will understand why this has a smoky mouth feel; it is loaded with smoked malts. Sitting on the tongue the bacon and maple syrup come out and hit you as they go down the gullet. Overall this is a fun unique brew that is easy to drink, and have a interesting flavor. I think I would have rated it higher had it been a bit darker, but if you can get it DISFRUTA. (835 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

A: single finger head on clear, copper with golden hues body. poor head retention but nicer head than many other smoked beers.

S: smells like your breakfast plate does at the end of a giant buffet breakfast... the syrup as spread over the remaining eggs and bacon to make a maple and bacon symbiotic aroma. nice mesquite note.

T: flavor is mostly mesquite and smokey. applewood bacon and syrup is less prevalent. simple but very tolerable flavor for the style.

M: medium body and high carbonation.

Overall: very interesting beer and very complex for the style. Definitley worth trying and one of the more intersting beer bottles in my collection. (650 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +30.7%

Poured from "Pepto-Bismol" pink bomber into a standard pint glass.
Deep copper/amber in color,with a moderate head of foam.
Aroma-Heady mash-up of pancakes and sausage starts my head shaking in wonderment? Disgust? Hard to tell. Let's take a sip.
Taste-Smoky,maple, sausage, sweet malty pancakes and bacon. I don't know if I love this or hate it. Lots of character and flavor but not sure if this makes it a good beer or not. Needs more work to be more than a novelty. Interesting to say the least. Try with a friend, you'd be hard pressed to finish this bottle by yourself. (574 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +30%

A- Light brown with a pretty sizable light brown head, not much in the way of lacing

S- Strong maple syrup and smoked bacon aromas, only a little bit of malt comes through, smells like breakfast and easily the best part of the beer, unique

T- Smokiness comes through first, peaty and almost faintly chipotle, some moderate malt flavor and then the maple sweetness hits, not overly sweet though, some lingering bitterness, smoke and just a hint of bacon on the finish

M- Lightly carbonated, crisp and a little thin

O- Having been to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland I thought this beer achieved what it was going for. Definitely unique and worth trying if you are a fan of smoked beers and/or breakfast (701 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +30%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. I've avoided you for so long now, and after one chance encounter in Delaware, the die has been cast.

A cloudy somewhat pale orange amber body, maybe even red, thin bubbled pinhead rising yellow carbonation, sitting with an off white/yellow two finger and fluffy to creamy head. Kind of interesting, very nice color.

Nose brings as the label promises. Bacon smoke and meat, sweet maple syrup, it's like breakfast pancakes and sausage on the side. The sweetness and savory bacon feels really nicely balanced. Fun. Inviting. If at a little scary maybe. Not sure where this is going.

Surprisingly not as sweet as expected. Quite mellow actually. Incredible amounts of smoke on this, but luckily not very phenolic or band aid tasting like many poor Rauchbiers. Palate is just a hint of wet, and a very faint maple without the sweetness. There's a hint of some mild bitterness from maybe old hop on the finish too, even with sweet cream maple hiding. Lots of char and carbon and smoke but strongly tolerable amazingly.

I've had some big smokey beers but they were just so phenolic. This is managed well, even if it is old and from the first original batch. A smoke meat bomb, with just a touch of light sweetness. (1,256 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +30%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. Welp, here goes nothing

A- pours a very dark amber with a puffy, two finger offwhite head that quickly fades away. Lacing doesn't look too hot.

S- strong aroma of maple syrup, and I'm getting a little smoke in there too...it actually works out pretty nicely together

T- I'm drinking this expecting some sort of awful ashtray flavor that other reviewers have noted....and I'm not getting it. At all. Bottle variation, or Rogue bias? Regardless, what I AM getting is a slight hint of smoke in the finish, with some sweetness from the maple in the beginning. It's not really a powerful maple flavor, though...but it's there. And the smoke is fine, it's not anywhere near the level that people are claiming they're getting out of this.

M- medium bodied. Not much there

O- you know what? I really liked this. I think I'm going to order more. Thanks, Rogue (896 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +30%

We pop the top and pour a brew of glowing sunset orange. It holds a creamy, cakey tan head, showing nice retention. Whips of spidery lacing skate down the glass. There is a moderate haze throughout, with flecks of sediment noted. Carbonation appears active. The nose smells just as advertised. There is huge smokiness of malts, and a char-burned bacon meatiness that burns through the nasal epithelium. The maple mixes beautifully, with nice sweetness to cut, giving a cloying sensation streaking through such a heavy base. Little else is noted as this smells truly of bacon, maple, and smoky ale. Our first impression is that there is a dizzying level of baconness to the flavoring, with maple holding off until the finish. As we sip, soured grain and massively robust smoked woodiness hit hard. Pale malts and lightly citric hops contribute, along with plastic phenols that sit high against the smokiness. The peak comes with enhanced sourness, and strong bittering bite of that warming smoke and woodiness. The hops add more, which is surprising, and add to the general sourness of the flavoring. The finish finally breaks, with sweetness of maple, and syrup-drenched bacon washing the palate. These do have to compete with that persistent smokiness, but the blend is definite and purposeful. The aftertaste breathes of heavy and warming smoke, charred applewood bacon, authentic maple woodiness, cedar, salt water taffy, and mineral water. The body is medium to full, and the carbonation is medium, with a nice prickle to the hard palate. There is decent slurp and pop, with okay cream and froth. The mouth is coated and oily, with stickiness and cooling to the end. No real dryness is noted, but the drinker feels warmed all around. The abv is easy, and the beer is more of a sipper.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how ambitious it was. Everyone seems to enjoy hating all over this beer, but the truth of the matter is that it is EXACTLY what is advertised. The flavoring is smoky from the numerous, and varied, grain bill, while the bacon and maple flavors are authentic and insanely robust. These all blend for a unique, warming mix of bold aromatics and flavors. Give it a fair, open-minded assessment with this in mind, and you might be surprised with the results. This is a good beer. (2,314 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +29.7%

One must first recognize that a beer like this is novelty. It certainly not something most people could drink all of the time. If you look at it like an adventure in a bottle, you might enjoy it.

The ale poured a rusty orange color with a modest off-white head. To be quite blunt, the aroma smells like a Saturday morning breakfast complete with pancakes and bacon. The sweetness of the maple syrup is present, and the smokiness of the bacon is there. In the initial taste, one tastes the smoke that suggests bacon before it is mellowed out by the sweetness of the maple. As the taste yields into the aftertaste, the smoke fades while the maple continues and mixes with a note of saltiness. The maple lingers heavily in the aftertaste just like you ate pancakes with heavy syrup. Even while the beer is somewhat thin, the sweetness is able to linger. (851 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +29.1%

Appearance. Pours a lightly hazy, deep orange-amber with a finger of thick looking, slightly amber-tinted head.

Smell. Okay, I recently had a maple bacon donut from Frost in Mill Creek, WA (it was delicious ...really!) and this is what it smelled like. I didn't even associate that recent delicacy with this beer until I got that smell again. Remarkable ...but as a beer, hmmm. Anyways, full marks for nailing the smell. I was skeptical before eating that donut as well, and it turned out to be life changing ;-)

Taste. Smoke and just a bit of caramel malts to begin with. Maple comes through in the middle followed by some real bacon and smoky wood that lingers in the mouth a while. Not bad, really.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body with below medium carbonation.

Overall. Well, for a novelty this wasn't half bad. I would drink it again for sure. Love the ugly pink 750 and it's graphics. Good choice to crack this one for brunch on a lazy day. (949 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +29.1%

This one just came it at a local beer store. Glad to give this bad boy a try. 22oz bottle...

A: A perfectly filtered copper color with a small 1/2 in white head that fades quickly to a bubble lake atop the brew. Decent.

S: Wow! This smells exactly as advertised. It's almost like I'm sniffing breakfast. A heavy maple scent upfront with a quick applewood smoked bacon following through. The scent is strong and smells delicious. Very good.

T: Starts with a watery taste which is quickly overtaken by a smoked maple and some nice oak. The bacon flavor mixes in the middle with more smoky wood on the back. Very unique. Light but full of flavor. Good.

M: Medium body with a good carbonation. A maple finish. Decent.

O: All in all, this is an interesting brew. It definitely smells like breakfast and taste like a watery breakfast. You get the bacon and the maple with all of the wood smokiness. Definitely try if you want something new and interesting. (955 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales