Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,663

Dear Beer Drinkers of the World,

(spoiler alert) - I did not read ANY reviews before buying this beer...

So... I bought this novelty beer after hearing that a Bacon/Doughnut beer existed... wow... was I ever surprised! Picked up the last bottle in the district... stuck it in the fridge for 2 days and got all the boys together to try it out. I’m not familiar with Rogue as a doughnut brand, but what I've read from other reviewers is that they are pretty special. So we cracked this beer yesterday (25’ weather) - the head looked gross, a bubbly vomit yellow bubbling from the bottle.. it smelled like maple.. and... the artificial bacon smell.. I poured a few glasses for all my friends, we raised our glasses for a cheers and each of us gulped it down. YUCK! We all had the same reaction right away. My final review of this beer is this: It tastes like if you licked a dirty greasy grill from your BBQ, took a swig of the cheapest beer... ate a piece of burned bacon, added a shot of fake maple flavoring while inhaling campfire smoke... pretty much sums up this beer. I would NOT recommend this to ANYONE! Keep beer, bacon and doughnuts separate. THE END! (1,165 characters)

Drain poor,

I really wanted to enjoy this beer, and smoked beers are not that bad IMHO, but this beer was just no pleasant at all, I really had a hard time getting past the wierd combo of sweet and smoke, anyway no big deal, not a fan of Rouge anyhow. (252 characters)

Anyone who would put this in bottles and sell it for money more than obviously hates their customers. I had this about three years ago, and I haven't purchased a Rogue beer since. Also, this remains the only beer I've ever dumped down the drain. (245 characters)

1.14/5  rDev -63.6%

Graciously (or maliciously?) shared at Fluff at the last Jackie O's release, review from notes.

Pours very light in color; for whatever reason we all expected this to be much darker, and possibly clouded. Amber with a fickle head of soapy clear bubbles.

Ouch! Well, the aroma on this bottle is pure phenols. Band-Aid and solvent. No sweetness, no maple, no doughnut, no beer... something went terribly wrong here, and I think it is rancid meat or an overuse of smoked malt...

The flavor is equally disturbing. Bubble gum. Ash. More solvent-y phenols.

Dry mouthfeel. Utterly undrinkable.

Overall I am so happy that I got a free pour of this, as I originally wanted a bottle to myself. I feel so sorry though for all of those locals who had to buy this stuff by the case. This is one dozen donuts where the baker can keep the 13th... (838 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -61.3%

Bottle poured into glass. Recently purchased and kept refrigerated.

First off, the stench of this is overwhelming. The smell of smoke and burnt grease clings to everything this beer touches. Even vapors of this beer made my stomach churn. Had to wash my beard and face out several times because bits of the smell lingered in my mustache and beard.

Poured nicely, not too much head, but not completely absent. The maple coloring was a nice touch.

The taste was revolting. The memory of its taste makes me slightly queasy still. Cloying smoke, overwhelming flavor of old bacon grease. It just tastes like old salty fat absent the texture of bacon itself. Combine that with a syrupy finish of maple and frosting, and you have what might be the single grossest beer to ever reach this height of popularity.

Don't remember the mouthfeel, I swallowed quickly and am not tempted to give it another sip. I poured it down the sink, which I quickly regretted because I then had to scrub it out to get rid of the smell. My recommendation, should you find yourself in similar circumstances, is to lock the cap back on the bottle, place it in the garbage, and then immediately remove the garbage from the premises so as to limit the spread of the smell in your house.

Wish there was some sort of constructive criticism I could give to Rogue, but I can't say I entirely understand how this got out of early experimentation. The very premise of the beer is ridiculous, and I imagine that most buyers are enamored with its novelty far more than the experience of actually drinking it. (1,575 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -61%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

It tasted like dirty bbq grill water. I expected big things because of the maple and bacon but didnt get either. I tried two different bottles and both tasted the same and neither were pleasant at all. Both had a bbq smell, but nowhere was the maple or bacon evident. In my opinion, a big miss on Rogue's part. (310 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -60.4%

This beer is a big swing and miss.

A: Soapy beige head; near clear amber body high carbonation.

S: Strong smoke bacon aroma and maple syrup.

T: Initial taste of maple sugar in the head. Then very smokey and salty. Like dumping water on a fire and then sucking on the log.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation and oily finish.

O: Disgusting. I would never drink a whole bottle.

I have to say overall I'm not a huge fan of smoked beers, but I have had some that I do enjoy. (478 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -60.4%

This is an absolutely atrocious beer. I love bacon. I love maple syrup. But together in this beer...oh dear lord. It doesn’t help that the flavor sticks to your palate, not that smokey bacon isn’t delicious, but in this context? I’m usually forgiving in my reviews, but this, this is just, guh. I’d rather drink the 22 of Brian Baroo I got one time that tasted like armpits than this. (392 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -57.8%

I bought this tonight as a "what the hell why not" $12 mistake. This is the worst thing I have ever drank. You should buy it just to see how bad it is!! Should be called Rogue jock strap sweat sock poison ivy band aid ale. I feel victimized and violated had to crack open a Gandhi Bot quickly just to feel normal again. Why dear god why would they put this out there!! I don't know if I will ever get that taste and smell out of my brain , some things cannot be undone. Pray for me. (482 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -57.8%

Oh, the humanity! Over priced craft brewer teams up with hipster doughnut shop. What could possibly go wrong? I split this bottle with some friends last night, one of the group is a respected brewer. It was unanimous, this beer was terrible. A chemically aroma produced the bacon and maple scent. When I said that this beer tasted like dead hipster, I was immediately corrected, "it tastes like smoked dead hipster".

I truly do not see how this beer gets a score of average. It just reinforces my suspicion of grade inflation here on BA. Avoid this travesty. This beer is making me reconsider being a ticker. (609 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light amber color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and not much lacing. Aroma consists of smoked malt with overly gross sweet notes which is incredibly messy. Taste is absolutely disgusting with awful smoked malt notes mix with overly gross sweet flavours. Body is light with good carbonation. Incredibly messy beer. (361 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -56.5%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad. (733 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -56.2%

Received a 22oz. bottle as a Christmas gift.

I have to admit that I was incredibly disapointed, I"m a big Rogue fan; and I've loved everything of theirs that I ever had--until now.

Somethings are better as an idea, than a reality, and this beer is one of them!

On the bright side, as is no surprise with a Rogue product; the quality of product and ingredients is high. Color, clairity and head retention were all great.

But, this was simply the right execution of the wrong idea. The maple was extremely dominant and it was sickningly sweet. Juxtaposed to a usual Rogue offering; where I'm looking for another one--I was seeking a tactful way to dump the remainder of my glass. (681 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -56.2%

Served out of a glorious pink bottle.

At first, this did not appear to be an awful beer, decent head, a cream colored beige.
The smell was nothing too offensive, but not pleasant. The tastes is where it starts to go downhill. Have you ever eaten a Beggin' Strip. Well I have( too much backstory to tell) , and it tasted like they smashed a bunch of Beggin' Strips up in a blender, and added water. Utterly disgusting. The mouthfeel was like watery bacon, with a hint of maple. This is one of the first things that bacon has made taste worse. I wish I could rate the taste at 0 or .25
Horrible beer, total drainpour (615 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -55.9%

I knew it was gimmicky going into it, but wow. The appearance was nice and the mouthfeel was fair, but the smell and taste were, in all honesty, awful. It's like drinking two parts watered down maple syrup and one part liquid smoke. I couldn't even finish the bottle. And that never happens. Opt for a Zima with a Jolly Rancher, you'll be glad you did. (352 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

A pretty rough beer. I, for the record, have had the bacon maple bar from Voodoo, and it is delicious. When you try to put it in beer form, it is terrible. The smell is off putting right from the start: a heavy smokiness with a hint of sweet. I read a review on here that says it tastes like dirty grill water, and that's about right. The overwhelming smoke flavor sticks, in a bad way. It stays in your mouth too. Thank god I had other beer in the fridge. I poured out a twelve dollar bottle of this stuff. The only decent thing is the appearance, with a nice thick head and good lacing. After that abandon ship. (613 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -55.3%

One word sums it up for me: ghastly. Up front is an unbearably sweet maple syrup onslaught. Closely behind is a hardwood smoked pork fat note of unsurpassing unpleasantness, sliding the beer into a off-key bittersweet realm. Sweetness rises again, with the smokey note clinging for dear life. The combination of flavors held great promise, but the final product went horribly wrong. Undrinkable and resides among my bottom ten beers of all time. (445 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -54.6%

ugh- I don't even want to write a detailed review. Let's just say that gross beer makes me sad, but getting my hopes up with the promise of delicious bacon, then turning out like this, that's a sin. I have never had such a hard time finishing a beer. I expected a lot better from Rogue. (286 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -54.3%

Pours a murky almost dingy brown. The smell was of smoky burnt maple bacon which i did not find that pleasant. It tasted much the same..with the burnt smoky flavors dominating. Mouthfeel was thin but the beer left my mouth feeling coated in bacon grease. I struggled with this beer though it did seem to improve as i smoked a cigarette which was the only time i detected any sweetness. the beer does deliver on the smoky meaty flavor but it just didnt work for me. (464 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -54%

I have had a Bacon Maple bar from the world famous Voodoo Doughnuts, and it was a glorious experience. So whence I saw the pink gleaming bottle from afar, it was calling my name and I and thought: "Voodoo doughnuts + Maple + Bacon + Beer = EPIC WIN"

A friend and I eagerly awaited a time when we could both partake of this brew. And When the time came... Lets just say we now have a new gold standard for the worst tasting beer of all time. Normally, even if a beer tastes bad, I will still finish it on principle, because it is beer. And wasting any form of beer is a sin. The exception to that rule is Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. Though it is a beautiful amber color, We had to pour the wretched concoction down the drain.

I am very saddened to have to write this review, as I love the other beverages Rouges Ales has to offer. But this is certainly not one of them. (876 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -54%

Wasn't sure what to make of this at first. After trying it I can honestly say that say that this is one of the strangest beers I've ever tried. Some things do not belong in a beer. I like maple and I like doughnuts and bacon...just not in a beer. I also like Oreo's and salmon but I would never dream of brewing beer with them in it. It tasted like charcoal and it immediately went down the drain. (397 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

A - Good. Dark. Actually looks like it will taste good.

S - Smells like grease.

T - This beer is like drinking semi-warm bacon grease. Gross :(

M - Grease. Gross film in mouth after consumption. Everything eaten within the next hour sucks because of this. Grease!

Disappointed with Rogue. This beer is basically grease. Who would buy this? (343 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

I wasn't sure about this when I bought it but figured i had to try it as a bacon lover. Strong smoke and maple on the nose. Being a Rogue beer it tastes well made, the smokey flavor is overwhelming though. I think with A LOT less of the smoke it may be an interesting beer. I found the smoke to really overpower the other flavors. I don't let much beer go to waste but I'm not sure I can finish this one. (404 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

Thanks to Black13 for this. The 22oz pink bottle does not have a "bottled-on" date. Poured into a crystal, stemmed water glass.

Appearance- I fully expected this to be a lot darker. Porter-like is what I was expecting. But, instead, it is a caramel/reddish color. Light tan head the dissipates quickly. No lacing. 3/5

Smell- Sweet cola aroma from far away. Maple donut dominates with a imitation smoke flavor in the background. The smoke aroma, although small, is not pleasant after a minute. 2/5

Taste- Here is where the smoke takes over. Not in a good way. The sweet maple donut that was in the aroma is in the background this time. Shame. The smoke makes this a beer that is only interesting in very small doses. A little goes a long way. The after taste is atrocious and stays with you long than you wish it to. 1/5

Mouthfeel- Not a thin mouthfeel per se, but I think it would benefit from a little more feel. 2/5

Overall- A novelty of a beer for sure. That is about it. I would not recommend. I have had the maple bacon donut and liked it, but I think that is because it had actual bacon on it and not an imitation smoke flavoring that you buy at the grocery store drizzled on top. The label says it is brewed with bacon, and smoked malts, but it comes out as an imitation flavor. 1/5 (1,295 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

Split a a 22oz with Hopswagger.

A - Pours a hazy orange/rubyred with an offshore head.

S - artificial smoke, hints of caramel, this smells like fake beef jerky.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with faux caramel. Lots of artificial flavors.

M - Medium body, carbonation but the finish is a nightmare.

This beer had great potential but is clearly a nightmare. The artificial smoke flavor could cause divorces. It's atrocious. I'm pissed that I spent $15 on this crap. (463 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales