Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 434
1.36/5  rDev -51.4%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad.

1.37/5  rDev -51.1%

Received a 22oz. bottle as a Christmas gift.

I have to admit that I was incredibly disapointed, I"m a big Rogue fan; and I've loved everything of theirs that I ever had--until now.

Somethings are better as an idea, than a reality, and this beer is one of them!

On the bright side, as is no surprise with a Rogue product; the quality of product and ingredients is high. Color, clairity and head retention were all great.

But, this was simply the right execution of the wrong idea. The maple was extremely dominant and it was sickningly sweet. Juxtaposed to a usual Rogue offering; where I'm looking for another one--I was seeking a tactful way to dump the remainder of my glass.

1.37/5  rDev -51.1%

Served out of a glorious pink bottle.

At first, this did not appear to be an awful beer, decent head, a cream colored beige.
The smell was nothing too offensive, but not pleasant. The tastes is where it starts to go downhill. Have you ever eaten a Beggin' Strip. Well I have( too much backstory to tell) , and it tasted like they smashed a bunch of Beggin' Strips up in a blender, and added water. Utterly disgusting. The mouthfeel was like watery bacon, with a hint of maple. This is one of the first things that bacon has made taste worse. I wish I could rate the taste at 0 or .25
Horrible beer, total drainpour

1.38/5  rDev -50.7%

I knew it was gimmicky going into it, but wow. The appearance was nice and the mouthfeel was fair, but the smell and taste were, in all honesty, awful. It's like drinking two parts watered down maple syrup and one part liquid smoke. I couldn't even finish the bottle. And that never happens. Opt for a Zima with a Jolly Rancher, you'll be glad you did.

1.38/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

The flavor tastes like plastic

1.39/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

A pretty rough beer. I, for the record, have had the bacon maple bar from Voodoo, and it is delicious. When you try to put it in beer form, it is terrible. The smell is off putting right from the start: a heavy smokiness with a hint of sweet. I read a review on here that says it tastes like dirty grill water, and that's about right. The overwhelming smoke flavor sticks, in a bad way. It stays in your mouth too. Thank god I had other beer in the fridge. I poured out a twelve dollar bottle of this stuff. The only decent thing is the appearance, with a nice thick head and good lacing. After that abandon ship.

1.4/5  rDev -50%

One word sums it up for me: ghastly. Up front is an unbearably sweet maple syrup onslaught. Closely behind is a hardwood smoked pork fat note of unsurpassing unpleasantness, sliding the beer into a off-key bittersweet realm. Sweetness rises again, with the smokey note clinging for dear life. The combination of flavors held great promise, but the final product went horribly wrong. Undrinkable and resides among my bottom ten beers of all time.

1.41/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

I always take it upon myself to try all beers... But this one was very difficult to finish... This was a bad beer...

1.42/5  rDev -49.3%

ugh- I don't even want to write a detailed review. Let's just say that gross beer makes me sad, but getting my hopes up with the promise of delicious bacon, then turning out like this, that's a sin. I have never had such a hard time finishing a beer. I expected a lot better from Rogue.

1.43/5  rDev -48.9%

Pours a murky almost dingy brown. The smell was of smoky burnt maple bacon which i did not find that pleasant. It tasted much the same..with the burnt smoky flavors dominating. Mouthfeel was thin but the beer left my mouth feeling coated in bacon grease. I struggled with this beer though it did seem to improve as i smoked a cigarette which was the only time i detected any sweetness. the beer does deliver on the smoky meaty flavor but it just didnt work for me.

1.44/5  rDev -48.6%

I have had a Bacon Maple bar from the world famous Voodoo Doughnuts, and it was a glorious experience. So whence I saw the pink gleaming bottle from afar, it was calling my name and I and thought: "Voodoo doughnuts + Maple + Bacon + Beer = EPIC WIN"

A friend and I eagerly awaited a time when we could both partake of this brew. And When the time came... Lets just say we now have a new gold standard for the worst tasting beer of all time. Normally, even if a beer tastes bad, I will still finish it on principle, because it is beer. And wasting any form of beer is a sin. The exception to that rule is Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. Though it is a beautiful amber color, We had to pour the wretched concoction down the drain.

I am very saddened to have to write this review, as I love the other beverages Rouges Ales has to offer. But this is certainly not one of them.

1.44/5  rDev -48.6%

Wasn't sure what to make of this at first. After trying it I can honestly say that say that this is one of the strangest beers I've ever tried. Some things do not belong in a beer. I like maple and I like doughnuts and bacon...just not in a beer. I also like Oreo's and salmon but I would never dream of brewing beer with them in it. It tasted like charcoal and it immediately went down the drain.

1.46/5  rDev -47.9%

A - Good. Dark. Actually looks like it will taste good.

S - Smells like grease.

T - This beer is like drinking semi-warm bacon grease. Gross :(

M - Grease. Gross film in mouth after consumption. Everything eaten within the next hour sucks because of this. Grease!

Disappointed with Rogue. This beer is basically grease. Who would buy this?

1.46/5  rDev -47.9%

I wasn't sure about this when I bought it but figured i had to try it as a bacon lover. Strong smoke and maple on the nose. Being a Rogue beer it tastes well made, the smokey flavor is overwhelming though. I think with A LOT less of the smoke it may be an interesting beer. I found the smoke to really overpower the other flavors. I don't let much beer go to waste but I'm not sure I can finish this one.

1.46/5  rDev -47.9%

Thanks to Black13 for this. The 22oz pink bottle does not have a "bottled-on" date. Poured into a crystal, stemmed water glass.

Appearance- I fully expected this to be a lot darker. Porter-like is what I was expecting. But, instead, it is a caramel/reddish color. Light tan head the dissipates quickly. No lacing. 3/5

Smell- Sweet cola aroma from far away. Maple donut dominates with a imitation smoke flavor in the background. The smoke aroma, although small, is not pleasant after a minute. 2/5

Taste- Here is where the smoke takes over. Not in a good way. The sweet maple donut that was in the aroma is in the background this time. Shame. The smoke makes this a beer that is only interesting in very small doses. A little goes a long way. The after taste is atrocious and stays with you long than you wish it to. 1/5

Mouthfeel- Not a thin mouthfeel per se, but I think it would benefit from a little more feel. 2/5

Overall- A novelty of a beer for sure. That is about it. I would not recommend. I have had the maple bacon donut and liked it, but I think that is because it had actual bacon on it and not an imitation smoke flavoring that you buy at the grocery store drizzled on top. The label says it is brewed with bacon, and smoked malts, but it comes out as an imitation flavor. 1/5

1.46/5  rDev -47.9%

Split a a 22oz with Hopswagger.

A - Pours a hazy orange/rubyred with an offshore head.

S - artificial smoke, hints of caramel, this smells like fake beef jerky.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with faux caramel. Lots of artificial flavors.

M - Medium body, carbonation but the finish is a nightmare.

This beer had great potential but is clearly a nightmare. The artificial smoke flavor could cause divorces. It's atrocious. I'm pissed that I spent $15 on this crap.

1.47/5  rDev -47.5%

750 mL bottle sent to me by ramnuts, shared with my tasting group in what was interpreted as a clear-cut gesture of my contempt for them.

A: Pours a hazy burnt orange that would be fairly nice, all things considered, with a little more milkiness and some more head. I tend to like cloudy beers of this shade.

S: It delivers exactly what you'd expect: some maple and enough smoke to border on hammy, bacon-like aromas. Mildly salty and woody. The effect was a little reminiscent of garbage that has been left in my apartment over a warm weekend: it smells like things that were once food that have been left to mingle and have started to turn.

T: Smoked wood that mimics bacon flavors. A touch of maple is found in the finish, but since this beer has been sitting around a while, I would guess that flavor is starting to fall off. Other than that, there is a mild caramel presence and basically nothing else. Not a lot going on.

M: No finish to the beer; it just trails off the palate.

O: I have a hard time understanding how this beer is 'average.' It's a pretty clear demonstration of a trainwreck and a fascinating exercise in disappointment. I wonder what compelled them to charge $11 for this and mandate a case minimum, but that it went into distribution so quickly is a hilarious testament to how badly their gambit misfired.

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

A: Dark orange, copper with a nice head that dissipates fast. Only thing on this that might make you think it's beer.

S: smoky and sweet, and then greasy. If you don't know what you're smelling you'd bet its a dirty old restaurant's kitchen right after frying a ton of bacon. Fatty bacon.

T: not sure, I can smell it again but won't drink a second sip. Grease, maybe, and not clean one.

M: disgusting. Feels like drinking bacon fat. I had a single sip a few min ago and still can feel it in my mouth.

O: thankfully I had no great hopes for this thing. The bottle is cool and will stay in the collection. Sorry, not much good to say.

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

I'm a bacon fan as well as a beer fan, so when I heard of this I was hopeful but I know that bacon into a beer form would be a long shot and I was sated in knowing that there would be disappointment,
So when I was finally able to try it I was not surprised that it wasn't good, I've tried it 3 times now
-1x when I lived in MS
-1x living in TX
-1x when I had a buddy from Portland bring me a bottle from OR.
STILL, to no avail, this beer is not going to get any better
3 strikes = YOU'RE OUT

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Just not a fan of the smoke flavor. Blah....

1.51/5  rDev -46.1%

This beer is aggressively bad. Donuts, maple syrup, bacon? How could one NOT try this?? Unfortunately, the beer is simply dreadful. Easily the worst aftertaste I've ever experienced...one part rotten bacon and three parts cleaning solvent. I now realize what a stupid gimmick it is in order to get people to pay outrageously high prices to try a new bottle. (I ended up pouring mine down the drain, btw) The pink bottle should've been a tip-off but foolishly, I fell for it anyway. Normally I wouldnt care so much but the price of this (I paid $16 for a 22oz bottle [sigh]) makes it insulting. Rogue needs to do the world a favor and retire this and agree to never speak of it again.

1.53/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

The hype is real: this beer is awful.

1.53/5  rDev -45.4%

What the heck was I thinking?

A: Best part of this beer, not only the beer itself, but something about the bottle is appealing. It comes in a pink and black bottle with a voodoo dude on the front and pigs behind him looking kinda creepy in a cool way.

S: Smells like straight up bacon, I give it a 2.5 b/c bacon smells ok, but I can't go higher b/c truthfully, who wants beer that smells like bacon. Then again, it wasn't a bad smell until after I tasted it. Then every whiff almost gagged me.

T: Again, what the heck was I thinking? This is like licking an ashtray after someone spilled their bacon grease in it. Nasty stuff, I almost yacked. I wanted to pour it in the sink, but at $13+ for the bottle, I forced myself to finish the glass I poured. Plus, I wanted to give it a full chance so I could either change my opinion or give it the finger. It only got worse.

M: It dragged it's nasty self down my tongue to my throat.

O: I should probably rate it a 1, but just b/c of appearance alone, I give it an extra .5... nasty stuff, avoid at all cost. Give it as a gift to someone you want to punch in the face.

Rogue loses many a cool points for releasing this and charging $13+ to unsuspecting customers.

1.56/5  rDev -44.3%

P: Reddish copper body adorned by a bubbly froth of off white head.

S: Smells like WaffleHouse. Smoky, brown sugared bacon, maple syrup, and pancake batter. Heavy artificial smoke.

T/M: Follows the nose but is watered down. Again with the heavy artificial smoke and a dash of hops. Mouthfeel is medium and subtly carbonated. Don't even care to describe the finish.

O: Terribly awful. The artificial smoke kills anything that could have even been presented as a reputable beer. Can you say "Drain Pourer?"

1.58/5  rDev -43.6%

I was hoping for the sweet & salty (savory), but all I got was an overly smokey and burnt bacon aftertaste; very hard to enjoy on it's own. I paired it with fried chicken hoping for the the effect of a chicken and waffles. Paired with fried chicken somewhat balanced the flavor of the bacon ale, but I was still disappointed that I could not enjoy the beer on it's own. I do not recommend this one.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales