Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon AleVoodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,664
1.44/5  rDev -54%

Wasn't sure what to make of this at first. After trying it I can honestly say that say that this is one of the strangest beers I've ever tried. Some things do not belong in a beer. I like maple and I like doughnuts and bacon...just not in a beer. I also like Oreo's and salmon but I would never dream of brewing beer with them in it. It tasted like charcoal and it immediately went down the drain. (397 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

A - Good. Dark. Actually looks like it will taste good.

S - Smells like grease.

T - This beer is like drinking semi-warm bacon grease. Gross :(

M - Grease. Gross film in mouth after consumption. Everything eaten within the next hour sucks because of this. Grease!

Disappointed with Rogue. This beer is basically grease. Who would buy this? (343 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

I wasn't sure about this when I bought it but figured i had to try it as a bacon lover. Strong smoke and maple on the nose. Being a Rogue beer it tastes well made, the smokey flavor is overwhelming though. I think with A LOT less of the smoke it may be an interesting beer. I found the smoke to really overpower the other flavors. I don't let much beer go to waste but I'm not sure I can finish this one. (404 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

Thanks to Black13 for this. The 22oz pink bottle does not have a "bottled-on" date. Poured into a crystal, stemmed water glass.

Appearance- I fully expected this to be a lot darker. Porter-like is what I was expecting. But, instead, it is a caramel/reddish color. Light tan head the dissipates quickly. No lacing. 3/5

Smell- Sweet cola aroma from far away. Maple donut dominates with a imitation smoke flavor in the background. The smoke aroma, although small, is not pleasant after a minute. 2/5

Taste- Here is where the smoke takes over. Not in a good way. The sweet maple donut that was in the aroma is in the background this time. Shame. The smoke makes this a beer that is only interesting in very small doses. A little goes a long way. The after taste is atrocious and stays with you long than you wish it to. 1/5

Mouthfeel- Not a thin mouthfeel per se, but I think it would benefit from a little more feel. 2/5

Overall- A novelty of a beer for sure. That is about it. I would not recommend. I have had the maple bacon donut and liked it, but I think that is because it had actual bacon on it and not an imitation smoke flavoring that you buy at the grocery store drizzled on top. The label says it is brewed with bacon, and smoked malts, but it comes out as an imitation flavor. 1/5 (1,295 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

Split a a 22oz with Hopswagger.

A - Pours a hazy orange/rubyred with an offshore head.

S - artificial smoke, hints of caramel, this smells like fake beef jerky.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with faux caramel. Lots of artificial flavors.

M - Medium body, carbonation but the finish is a nightmare.

This beer had great potential but is clearly a nightmare. The artificial smoke flavor could cause divorces. It's atrocious. I'm pissed that I spent $15 on this crap. (463 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -53%

750 mL bottle sent to me by ramnuts, shared with my tasting group in what was interpreted as a clear-cut gesture of my contempt for them.

A: Pours a hazy burnt orange that would be fairly nice, all things considered, with a little more milkiness and some more head. I tend to like cloudy beers of this shade.

S: It delivers exactly what you'd expect: some maple and enough smoke to border on hammy, bacon-like aromas. Mildly salty and woody. The effect was a little reminiscent of garbage that has been left in my apartment over a warm weekend: it smells like things that were once food that have been left to mingle and have started to turn.

T: Smoked wood that mimics bacon flavors. A touch of maple is found in the finish, but since this beer has been sitting around a while, I would guess that flavor is starting to fall off. Other than that, there is a mild caramel presence and basically nothing else. Not a lot going on.

M: No finish to the beer; it just trails off the palate.

O: I have a hard time understanding how this beer is 'average.' It's a pretty clear demonstration of a trainwreck and a fascinating exercise in disappointment. I wonder what compelled them to charge $11 for this and mandate a case minimum, but that it went into distribution so quickly is a hilarious testament to how badly their gambit misfired. (1,340 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

A: Dark orange, copper with a nice head that dissipates fast. Only thing on this that might make you think it's beer.

S: smoky and sweet, and then greasy. If you don't know what you're smelling you'd bet its a dirty old restaurant's kitchen right after frying a ton of bacon. Fatty bacon.

T: not sure, I can smell it again but won't drink a second sip. Grease, maybe, and not clean one.

M: disgusting. Feels like drinking bacon fat. I had a single sip a few min ago and still can feel it in my mouth.

O: thankfully I had no great hopes for this thing. The bottle is cool and will stay in the collection. Sorry, not much good to say. (636 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

I'm a bacon fan as well as a beer fan, so when I heard of this I was hopeful but I know that bacon into a beer form would be a long shot and I was sated in knowing that there would be disappointment,
So when I was finally able to try it I was not surprised that it wasn't good, I've tried it 3 times now
-1x when I lived in MS
-1x living in TX
-1x when I had a buddy from Portland bring me a bottle from OR.
STILL, to no avail, this beer is not going to get any better
3 strikes = YOU'RE OUT (491 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -51.8%

This beer is aggressively bad. Donuts, maple syrup, bacon? How could one NOT try this?? Unfortunately, the beer is simply dreadful. Easily the worst aftertaste I've ever experienced...one part rotten bacon and three parts cleaning solvent. I now realize what a stupid gimmick it is in order to get people to pay outrageously high prices to try a new bottle. (I ended up pouring mine down the drain, btw) The pink bottle should've been a tip-off but foolishly, I fell for it anyway. Normally I wouldnt care so much but the price of this (I paid $16 for a 22oz bottle [sigh]) makes it insulting. Rogue needs to do the world a favor and retire this and agree to never speak of it again. (683 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -51.1%

What the heck was I thinking?

A: Best part of this beer, not only the beer itself, but something about the bottle is appealing. It comes in a pink and black bottle with a voodoo dude on the front and pigs behind him looking kinda creepy in a cool way.

S: Smells like straight up bacon, I give it a 2.5 b/c bacon smells ok, but I can't go higher b/c truthfully, who wants beer that smells like bacon. Then again, it wasn't a bad smell until after I tasted it. Then every whiff almost gagged me.

T: Again, what the heck was I thinking? This is like licking an ashtray after someone spilled their bacon grease in it. Nasty stuff, I almost yacked. I wanted to pour it in the sink, but at $13+ for the bottle, I forced myself to finish the glass I poured. Plus, I wanted to give it a full chance so I could either change my opinion or give it the finger. It only got worse.

M: It dragged it's nasty self down my tongue to my throat.

O: I should probably rate it a 1, but just b/c of appearance alone, I give it an extra .5... nasty stuff, avoid at all cost. Give it as a gift to someone you want to punch in the face.

Rogue loses many a cool points for releasing this and charging $13+ to unsuspecting customers. (1,215 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -50.2%

P: Reddish copper body adorned by a bubbly froth of off white head.

S: Smells like WaffleHouse. Smoky, brown sugared bacon, maple syrup, and pancake batter. Heavy artificial smoke.

T/M: Follows the nose but is watered down. Again with the heavy artificial smoke and a dash of hops. Mouthfeel is medium and subtly carbonated. Don't even care to describe the finish.

O: Terribly awful. The artificial smoke kills anything that could have even been presented as a reputable beer. Can you say "Drain Pourer?" (510 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -49.5%

I was hoping for the sweet & salty (savory), but all I got was an overly smokey and burnt bacon aftertaste; very hard to enjoy on it's own. I paired it with fried chicken hoping for the the effect of a chicken and waffles. Paired with fried chicken somewhat balanced the flavor of the bacon ale, but I was still disappointed that I could not enjoy the beer on it's own. I do not recommend this one. (398 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I write this having always said "everything is better with bacon." I found out today for the first time this is not true. Bottle is clearly a sales gimmick, though regardless quite eye catching. Having been a fan of most Rogue beers, and obviously bacon, I had to try it despite the dismal reviews.

Color of the pour is a nice hazy golden brown with a 1/2 inch head or so in a snifter glass. The smell is unquestionably and overpoweringly bacon. This was the first hint I had of the beer not being up to my expectations. The taste is a bit bitter, sweet, smokey bacon flavor that lingers. The aftertaste is solely smokey bacon. I'm glad I split the bottle because I had difficulty getting one glass down, much less the whole bottle. Disappointed from Rogue.

Improvements: I think toning just about everything down would benefit the beer. The bacon needs to be subtle rather than overpowering, as does the smoke. (913 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%

Appearance - Pours a solid looking 2-3 finger head that looks like it might stay around a while. The body has a nice dark amber color.

Smell - a bit of bacon, a hint of maple, a dash of hops in there . . . and a lot of - what is that? - liquid smoke? interesting, let's see how it tastes.

Taste - Oh. My. God. Smoke. Smoke like I licked the sole of an arsonist's shoe. My brain won't let this past my tongue. Ok, this is different . . . really different. I gave it another test, a bit more ready for the intense flavor. a bit of swirl over the tongue, let it settle a bit in my mouth, let my brain process the flavors, and . . . nope, i cannot drink this.

Overall - Appearances can be deceiving. I thought it poured well, look good in the glass, but, though I expected it to be different, this was just . . . plain . . . awful. Up until now I've never poured a bomber down the sink before, but now i have. I now have a very cool looking bottle, one that used to contain a beer I will never try again.

Serving type: bottle (1,029 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%

My first review on BeerAdvocate.

I bought this for a Christmas White elephant gift. I later reclaimed it for myself.

Appearance: Golden in color looks very nice.

Smell: Smells of Smoke and Bacon not really great for a beer but it is a "Bacon" flavored beer so what did I expect.

Taste: The body is fine if a little sweet. The aftertaste is what makes this beer a drain poor. The aftertaste is like a slaughter house full of Bacon and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too noteworthy maybe slightly more thick than an average beer.

I'm pretty disappointed only my second drain poor ever. The first being a 12 pack of Durango Ice which cost me 1/3 the price of this bomber.

I'm not sure how Rogue let this out the door. I love their Hazelnut Brown but this definitely hurts their reputation.

Do yourself a Favor and pass on this and pick yourself up 2 Hazelnut Brown bombers with money to spare. (894 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -47%

Was really excited to try this one...

A - Pours orange-ish, fairly limited head.

S - Confusing in a word, some sweetness and carmel, but also strange smoke-like scent

T - Sweetness up front, pretty pleasant, then it goes to hell. The best way we could think to describe it was like eating a campfire that you threw plastic into.

M - Medium body, nothing too terrible, but the ending is pretty miserable.

I'm just happy my friend brought this over, I would have hated to spend money on it. I'm hoping their next experimental doesn't involve any bacon/smoke flavor. I'd rather drink a bottle of "Liquid Smoke". (613 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A: Dosent look too bad. Poured a murky reddish orange.

S: fake liquid smoke and pencil shavings with a touch of maple. Awful. My whole house smells like a fire. Extremely overpowering.

T: Very similar to the smell. Fake liquid smoke bombards everything. A bit of maple at the finish. Small amount of hop bitterness at the back of the tounge as it warmed.

M: medium carbonation mouthfeel was a little thin.

Overall: its kinda cool that rogue tried to experiment by doing something different, but it was very poorly executed. I had to give the rest to my buddy. If you don't like smoked beers I would not advise you wasting your money on this. It's a shame, because everytjibg else I had from rogue was pretty Damn good. Was a huge disappointment. (753 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

This is the worst beer I have ever had the pleasure of tasting, I had to rinse my tulip glass twice to get rid of the overwhelming maple barf flavor. I would not recommend this gem to an enemy. The carbonation was poor and as the temperature of the beer rose so did the awful aftertaste. I am sooo glad that this beer was retired. That being said, "I still love ya Rogue". (372 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

This was a drain pour - I think they got the maple and bacon flavorings somewhat correct although far too overpowering. However, the base beer is underwhelming - it doesn't hold up or add anything to those flavors. This beer lacks body and complexity so about half way through a glass I was already bored and looking how to dispose of it. (338 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I heard this beer was bad. I have never once heard a good review of it. Yet I just. didn't. listen because I was so curious to try it. Well, let me tell you curiosity killed the cat. Don't make my mistake as has it been slightly worse it might have ruined beer for me altogether. Luckily this scarcely resembles beer.

A: fizzy and orange

S: smoke. That's it. A little meaty bacon smell beneath the smoke. I don't really get maple or donut.

T: Same as smell. Weird and smokey. Like drinking a camp fire.

M: fizzy at first, flat by the time you're half way through a 12-oz pour. (581 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -45.4%

Shared with 2 friends. Bottle poured into a mini snifter.

A- Pours a deep golden, almost light orange color with small amounts of fizzy head that quickly goes away leaving no lacing.

S- Smokey maple syrup.

T- Salty, smokey, maple syrup. Not worth trying.

M- Good amount of carbonation, with light body.

O- Had high hopes for this beer. I really thought I would be part of the crowd that just loved it. Sadly, that is not the case. This beer is overly smokey, with just a hint of sweet maple taste. Not worth trying. (522 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: bottle from Capone's, Norristown, PA

Yeah, finally broke down and decided to try this one, despite the mixed to negative reviews and reports. And after one serving, I'm going to have to side with the naysayers on this one.

Decanted into an East End stem glass, a hazy, amber liquid, a somewhat aggressive pour producing about three fingers of rocky beige head; nice retention and lacing. Looked fine enough, but unfortunately, that's about where the beauty ended for this beer. A heavy hit of smoke in the nose, which I guess could be vaguely construed as bacon, but is more like spent cigarette ash and heavily salted pork jerky. With time, the aroma improved a bit, with the sweet maple coming out more as the beer warmed. A quick taste of sweet malts and maple greeted me up front, but within hmm probably less than a second, the gritty ash taste took over, accompanied by rock salt and rubber, making it feel like I just chain-smoked half a pack of cigarettes while changing a tire on a snow- and saline-covered roadway, instead of eating a side of bacon with my doughnut. Mouthfeel was pretty off-putting as would be imagined, about medium bodied. Maybe as a stout or porter this concept for a beer would would better, but as a thinned out pale ale, it's just not happening. Two half pours among the wife and I, and the rest of this was a drain pour. I don't know why an otherwise great brewery like Rogue keeps making this stuff, but someone must be buying it in bulk quantities to keep it in production.

A good beer in theory, but not in reality. Pure novelty here, and not in a good way. (1,610 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -43.5%

I bought this beer because I liked the appearance of the bottle. And who doesn' t like bacon and maple.
Poured from bottle.
Dark coloration.
Nice aromas of sweetness and bacon.
Smoky taste completely overwhelms all other flavors.
Very disappointed. (252 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured from 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange/ reddish with an light off white head.

S - smokey flavor, hints of caramel, this smells terrible. Like bad bbq. Hints of maple.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with caramel. Lots of artificial flavors. Little like bacon fat.

M - Medium body, the finish is a terrible.

I enjoy Rogue, but this beer (if thats what you want to call it!) Is down right terrible. Cool idea, bacon, yum! but this wasn't worth $16 bucks. I wish I didn't buy it. (504 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -42.2%

Aroma is full of smoke and bacon, with a slight hint of maple syrup to round it off. It's almost too much, and it's not a great smell.

The beer pours out a somewhat hazy dark honey color with a white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing to speak of.

Big big smoke on in the flavor. It's all I really taste, actually. It is just so hard to get past, that I find it somewhat offensive. When I breathe, I can taste it all over again. This beer, I think, I will be tasting for a few hours to come.

Moderate body and medium carbonation, the mouthfeel isn't bad at all. If anything, this is where it exceles, a normal mouthfeel. Overall though, this is really not a good effort. I have to drain pour it. (713 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales