2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon AleVoodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale

poor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,476 | Reviews: 402 | Show All Ratings:
washuffizi

Wisconsin

1.4/5  rDev -50.5%

A - Good. Dark. Actually looks like it will taste good.

S - Smells like grease.

T - This beer is like drinking semi-warm bacon grease. Gross :(

M - Grease. Gross film in mouth after consumption. Everything eaten within the next hour sucks because of this. Grease!

Disappointed with Rogue. This beer is basically grease. Who would buy this?

01-20-2013 06:51:48 | More by washuffizi
recoveringmormon

Vermont

1.4/5  rDev -50.5%

ugh- I don't even want to write a detailed review. Let's just say that gross beer makes me sad, but getting my hopes up with the promise of delicious bacon, then turning out like this, that's a sin. I have never had such a hard time finishing a beer. I expected a lot better from Rogue.

08-14-2013 23:44:22 | More by recoveringmormon
Bedhead

1.43/5  rDev -49.5%

This beer is aggressively bad. Donuts, maple syrup, bacon? How could one NOT try this?? Unfortunately, the beer is simply dreadful. Easily the worst aftertaste I've ever experienced...one part rotten bacon and three parts cleaning solvent. I now realize what a stupid gimmick it is in order to get people to pay outrageously high prices to try a new bottle. (I ended up pouring mine down the drain, btw) The pink bottle should've been a tip-off but foolishly, I fell for it anyway. Normally I wouldnt care so much but the price of this (I paid $16 for a 22oz bottle [sigh]) makes it insulting. Rogue needs to do the world a favor and retire this and agree to never speak of it again.

10-07-2012 03:12:54 | More by Bedhead
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

1.43/5  rDev -49.5%

Split a a 22oz with Hopswagger.

A - Pours a hazy orange/rubyred with an offshore head.

S - artificial smoke, hints of caramel, this smells like fake beef jerky.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with faux caramel. Lots of artificial flavors.

M - Medium body, carbonation but the finish is a nightmare.

This beer had great potential but is clearly a nightmare. The artificial smoke flavor could cause divorces. It's atrocious. I'm pissed that I spent $15 on this crap.

11-25-2012 03:28:58 | More by StaveHooks
dionito

Washington

1.44/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

A: Dark orange, copper with a nice head that dissipates fast. Only thing on this that might make you think it's beer.

S: smoky and sweet, and then greasy. If you don't know what you're smelling you'd bet its a dirty old restaurant's kitchen right after frying a ton of bacon. Fatty bacon.

T: not sure, I can smell it again but won't drink a second sip. Grease, maybe, and not clean one.

M: disgusting. Feels like drinking bacon fat. I had a single sip a few min ago and still can feel it in my mouth.

O: thankfully I had no great hopes for this thing. The bottle is cool and will stay in the collection. Sorry, not much good to say.

01-21-2013 04:13:58 | More by dionito
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

1.45/5  rDev -48.8%

What the heck was I thinking?

A: Best part of this beer, not only the beer itself, but something about the bottle is appealing. It comes in a pink and black bottle with a voodoo dude on the front and pigs behind him looking kinda creepy in a cool way.

S: Smells like straight up bacon, I give it a 2.5 b/c bacon smells ok, but I can't go higher b/c truthfully, who wants beer that smells like bacon. Then again, it wasn't a bad smell until after I tasted it. Then every whiff almost gagged me.

T: Again, what the heck was I thinking? This is like licking an ashtray after someone spilled their bacon grease in it. Nasty stuff, I almost yacked. I wanted to pour it in the sink, but at $13+ for the bottle, I forced myself to finish the glass I poured. Plus, I wanted to give it a full chance so I could either change my opinion or give it the finger. It only got worse.

M: It dragged it's nasty self down my tongue to my throat.

O: I should probably rate it a 1, but just b/c of appearance alone, I give it an extra .5... nasty stuff, avoid at all cost. Give it as a gift to someone you want to punch in the face.

Rogue loses many a cool points for releasing this and charging $13+ to unsuspecting customers.

08-03-2012 02:15:43 | More by beeroclock
KMBoswell

1.45/5  rDev -48.8%

I'm a bacon fan as well as a beer fan, so when I heard of this I was hopeful but I know that bacon into a beer form would be a long shot and I was sated in knowing that there would be disappointment,
So when I was finally able to try it I was not surprised that it wasn't good, I've tried it 3 times now
-1x when I lived in MS
-1x living in TX
-1x when I had a buddy from Portland bring me a bottle from OR.
STILL, to no avail, this beer is not going to get any better
3 strikes = YOU'RE OUT

01-27-2014 18:43:08 | More by KMBoswell
Arbitrator

1.48/5  rDev -47.7%

750 mL bottle sent to me by ramnuts, shared with my tasting group in what was interpreted as a clear-cut gesture of my contempt for them.

A: Pours a hazy burnt orange that would be fairly nice, all things considered, with a little more milkiness and some more head. I tend to like cloudy beers of this shade.

S: It delivers exactly what you'd expect: some maple and enough smoke to border on hammy, bacon-like aromas. Mildly salty and woody. The effect was a little reminiscent of garbage that has been left in my apartment over a warm weekend: it smells like things that were once food that have been left to mingle and have started to turn.

T: Smoked wood that mimics bacon flavors. A touch of maple is found in the finish, but since this beer has been sitting around a while, I would guess that flavor is starting to fall off. Other than that, there is a mild caramel presence and basically nothing else. Not a lot going on.

M: No finish to the beer; it just trails off the palate.

O: I have a hard time understanding how this beer is 'average.' It's a pretty clear demonstration of a trainwreck and a fascinating exercise in disappointment. I wonder what compelled them to charge $11 for this and mandate a case minimum, but that it went into distribution so quickly is a hilarious testament to how badly their gambit misfired.

01-08-2012 23:08:52 | More by Arbitrator
lighthabit

Oregon

1.5/5  rDev -47%

Appearance - Pours a solid looking 2-3 finger head that looks like it might stay around a while. The body has a nice dark amber color.

Smell - a bit of bacon, a hint of maple, a dash of hops in there . . . and a lot of - what is that? - liquid smoke? interesting, let's see how it tastes.

Taste - Oh. My. God. Smoke. Smoke like I licked the sole of an arsonist's shoe. My brain won't let this past my tongue. Ok, this is different . . . really different. I gave it another test, a bit more ready for the intense flavor. a bit of swirl over the tongue, let it settle a bit in my mouth, let my brain process the flavors, and . . . nope, i cannot drink this.

Overall - Appearances can be deceiving. I thought it poured well, look good in the glass, but, though I expected it to be different, this was just . . . plain . . . awful. Up until now I've never poured a bomber down the sink before, but now i have. I now have a very cool looking bottle, one that used to contain a beer I will never try again.

09-06-2012 04:47:03 | More by lighthabit
shill88

1.53/5  rDev -45.9%

My first review on BeerAdvocate.

I bought this for a Christmas White elephant gift. I later reclaimed it for myself.

Appearance: Golden in color looks very nice.

Smell: Smells of Smoke and Bacon not really great for a beer but it is a "Bacon" flavored beer so what did I expect.

Taste: The body is fine if a little sweet. The aftertaste is what makes this beer a drain poor. The aftertaste is like a slaughter house full of Bacon and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too noteworthy maybe slightly more thick than an average beer.

I'm pretty disappointed only my second drain poor ever. The first being a 12 pack of Durango Ice which cost me 1/3 the price of this bomber.

I'm not sure how Rogue let this out the door. I love their Hazelnut Brown but this definitely hurts their reputation.

Do yourself a Favor and pass on this and pick yourself up 2 Hazelnut Brown bombers with money to spare.

02-10-2012 03:03:36 | More by shill88
Hopswagger

South Carolina

1.53/5  rDev -45.9%

P: Reddish copper body adorned by a bubbly froth of off white head.

S: Smells like WaffleHouse. Smoky, brown sugared bacon, maple syrup, and pancake batter. Heavy artificial smoke.

T/M: Follows the nose but is watered down. Again with the heavy artificial smoke and a dash of hops. Mouthfeel is medium and subtly carbonated. Don't even care to describe the finish.

O: Terribly awful. The artificial smoke kills anything that could have even been presented as a reputable beer. Can you say "Drain Pourer?"

11-25-2012 03:28:54 | More by Hopswagger
anhigdon

Kentucky

1.54/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I write this having always said "everything is better with bacon." I found out today for the first time this is not true. Bottle is clearly a sales gimmick, though regardless quite eye catching. Having been a fan of most Rogue beers, and obviously bacon, I had to try it despite the dismal reviews.

Color of the pour is a nice hazy golden brown with a 1/2 inch head or so in a snifter glass. The smell is unquestionably and overpoweringly bacon. This was the first hint I had of the beer not being up to my expectations. The taste is a bit bitter, sweet, smokey bacon flavor that lingers. The aftertaste is solely smokey bacon. I'm glad I split the bottle because I had difficulty getting one glass down, much less the whole bottle. Disappointed from Rogue.

Improvements: I think toning just about everything down would benefit the beer. The bacon needs to be subtle rather than overpowering, as does the smoke.

07-01-2013 22:30:25 | More by anhigdon
MonsieurHeng

1.55/5  rDev -45.2%

I was hoping for the sweet & salty (savory), but all I got was an overly smokey and burnt bacon aftertaste; very hard to enjoy on it's own. I paired it with fried chicken hoping for the the effect of a chicken and waffles. Paired with fried chicken somewhat balanced the flavor of the bacon ale, but I was still disappointed that I could not enjoy the beer on it's own. I do not recommend this one.

10-13-2012 19:13:06 | More by MonsieurHeng
robsee

1.6/5  rDev -43.5%

This was a drain pour - I think they got the maple and bacon flavorings somewhat correct although far too overpowering. However, the base beer is underwhelming - it doesn't hold up or add anything to those flavors. This beer lacks body and complexity so about half way through a glass I was already bored and looking how to dispose of it.

01-09-2012 20:13:16 | More by robsee
BillyCannon

1.6/5  rDev -43.5%

Was really excited to try this one...

A - Pours orange-ish, fairly limited head.

S - Confusing in a word, some sweetness and carmel, but also strange smoke-like scent

T - Sweetness up front, pretty pleasant, then it goes to hell. The best way we could think to describe it was like eating a campfire that you threw plastic into.

M - Medium body, nothing too terrible, but the ending is pretty miserable.

I'm just happy my friend brought this over, I would have hated to spend money on it. I'm hoping their next experimental doesn't involve any bacon/smoke flavor. I'd rather drink a bottle of "Liquid Smoke".

11-28-2012 13:38:18 | More by BillyCannon
SwollenGoat

Nebraska

1.6/5  rDev -43.5%

This is the worst beer I have ever had the pleasure of tasting, I had to rinse my tulip glass twice to get rid of the overwhelming maple barf flavor. I would not recommend this gem to an enemy. The carbonation was poor and as the temperature of the beer rose so did the awful aftertaste. I am sooo glad that this beer was retired. That being said, "I still love ya Rogue".

03-05-2014 23:22:04 | More by SwollenGoat
hopqaman

1.64/5  rDev -42%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A: Dosent look too bad. Poured a murky reddish orange.

S: fake liquid smoke and pencil shavings with a touch of maple. Awful. My whole house smells like a fire. Extremely overpowering.

T: Very similar to the smell. Fake liquid smoke bombards everything. A bit of maple at the finish. Small amount of hop bitterness at the back of the tounge as it warmed.

M: medium carbonation mouthfeel was a little thin.

Overall: its kinda cool that rogue tried to experiment by doing something different, but it was very poorly executed. I had to give the rest to my buddy. If you don't like smoked beers I would not advise you wasting your money on this. It's a shame, because everytjibg else I had from rogue was pretty Damn good. Was a huge disappointment.

11-16-2013 05:40:00 | More by hopqaman
HopsMathias

1.65/5  rDev -41.7%

I bought this beer because I liked the appearance of the bottle. And who doesn' t like bacon and maple.
Poured from bottle.
Dark coloration.
Nice aromas of sweetness and bacon.
Smoky taste completely overwhelms all other flavors.
Very disappointed.

02-09-2013 03:55:09 | More by HopsMathias
circus_cat

1.65/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I heard this beer was bad. I have never once heard a good review of it. Yet I just. didn't. listen because I was so curious to try it. Well, let me tell you curiosity killed the cat. Don't make my mistake as has it been slightly worse it might have ruined beer for me altogether. Luckily this scarcely resembles beer.

A: fizzy and orange

S: smoke. That's it. A little meaty bacon smell beneath the smoke. I don't really get maple or donut.

T: Same as smell. Weird and smokey. Like drinking a camp fire.

M: fizzy at first, flat by the time you're half way through a 12-oz pour.

03-05-2013 20:46:15 | More by circus_cat
rfbenavi80

Missouri

1.68/5  rDev -40.6%

Shared with 2 friends. Bottle poured into a mini snifter.

A- Pours a deep golden, almost light orange color with small amounts of fizzy head that quickly goes away leaving no lacing.

S- Smokey maple syrup.

T- Salty, smokey, maple syrup. Not worth trying.

M- Good amount of carbonation, with light body.

O- Had high hopes for this beer. I really thought I would be part of the crowd that just loved it. Sadly, that is not the case. This beer is overly smokey, with just a hint of sweet maple taste. Not worth trying.

07-06-2012 03:22:41 | More by rfbenavi80
Rifugium

1.7/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: bottle from Capone's, Norristown, PA

Yeah, finally broke down and decided to try this one, despite the mixed to negative reviews and reports. And after one serving, I'm going to have to side with the naysayers on this one.

Decanted into an East End stem glass, a hazy, amber liquid, a somewhat aggressive pour producing about three fingers of rocky beige head; nice retention and lacing. Looked fine enough, but unfortunately, that's about where the beauty ended for this beer. A heavy hit of smoke in the nose, which I guess could be vaguely construed as bacon, but is more like spent cigarette ash and heavily salted pork jerky. With time, the aroma improved a bit, with the sweet maple coming out more as the beer warmed. A quick taste of sweet malts and maple greeted me up front, but within hmm probably less than a second, the gritty ash taste took over, accompanied by rock salt and rubber, making it feel like I just chain-smoked half a pack of cigarettes while changing a tire on a snow- and saline-covered roadway, instead of eating a side of bacon with my doughnut. Mouthfeel was pretty off-putting as would be imagined, about medium bodied. Maybe as a stout or porter this concept for a beer would would better, but as a thinned out pale ale, it's just not happening. Two half pours among the wife and I, and the rest of this was a drain pour. I don't know why an otherwise great brewery like Rogue keeps making this stuff, but someone must be buying it in bulk quantities to keep it in production.

A good beer in theory, but not in reality. Pure novelty here, and not in a good way.

09-06-2012 12:45:37 | More by Rifugium
TheoV

Wisconsin

1.73/5  rDev -38.9%

S: When I first opened it and took a sip of it, it smelled exactly as you would expect, maple and bacon, although not very strongly.

T: The beer tastes like a pale ale that has been mixed with maple in an ash tray. What I was hoping would be a nice bacon flavor to offset the maple instead was closer to bacon that had been left until it was blackened. When it hit the middle of my mouth it made me gag.

O: I bought it because it seemed so insane it had to be at least mildly interesting. I was wrong.

08-06-2012 02:15:40 | More by TheoV
tectactoe

1.78/5  rDev -37.1%

Purchased as a "beer of the week" special at a local liquor store. After hearing the name "Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale", I had to give it a try. Pours a dense amber color with a bit of haze and lots of carbonation bubbles. Decent sized head that didn't last for too long. The smell was amazing. Seriously, it smelled absolutely delicious - like ripe, smoked bacon that had been covered in maple syrup. Like waking up in a cabin, early on a Saturday morning and someone is already in the kitchen, cooking bacon and maple pancakes. Hints of wheat and malt in the background, but the bacon-maple smell dominates, and it is amazing.

Unfortunately, that's where things head south. The taste is bad. Really bad. Especially after having such high expectations after the beautiful nose it gives - just SUCH a let down. The beer barely tastes of bacon or maple at all, rather all you can taste is carbonation and smoke. It was like carbonated liquid smoke with maybe a hint of malt and caramel in the background. But the smoked flavor was so intense that it was harsh, dry, and did not feel good on the back of the throat. Body was thin and had too much carbonation to be enjoyable.

All in all, one of the worst beers I've tried. Perhaps the disappointment is magnified by the fact that the beer, in theory, sounds, and smells, delicious. It is everything BUT that. One of the only beers I couldn't finish. Very upsetting.

09-28-2012 19:17:29 | More by tectactoe
Damian74Shensky

South Carolina

1.78/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured from 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange/ reddish with an light off white head.

S - smokey flavor, hints of caramel, this smells terrible. Like bad bbq. Hints of maple.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with caramel. Lots of artificial flavors. Little like bacon fat.

M - Medium body, the finish is a terrible.

I enjoy Rogue, but this beer (if thats what you want to call it!) Is down right terrible. Cool idea, bacon, yum! but this wasn't worth $16 bucks. I wish I didn't buy it.

12-18-2012 19:34:07 | More by Damian74Shensky
TulipSnifter

Oregon

1.8/5  rDev -36.4%

A- Dark Amber with specs throughout. Pieces of burnt bacon maybe? Nice head when poured which dissipated by the time I finished writing this.
S- Smells smokey, mapley, and very woody. This was actually my favorite part of this beer.
T- This tastes like artificially flavored burnt maple water. Odd, I know. It was a major let down after the smell. I really don't like the taste... I'm sorry.
M- Very thin and kind of watery. With these flavors maybe a bigger body would have helped.
O- It's interesting but not satisfying. I'd rather save my calories for the actual Maple Bacon Doughnut. I'm kind of pissed off that Hopsbreath bought this. Thank goodness we don't have a case of this. Thank you Black13 for splitting up the case amongst our beer crew.

*Side note* The bottle art is cool.

09-29-2011 01:44:01 | More by TulipSnifter