Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 434
2.12/5  rDev -24.3%

One of the Worst Beers I Ever Tried.

2.92/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The worst craft beer I've ever had. I think my ratings are inflated.

Was a year old, to be fair.

3.83/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Must say it's different. Not my favorite but I'd drink a another if YOU buy it.

1.64/5  rDev -41.4%

Disgusting. Tastes like a dirty ashtray.

It was pretty good beer.

2.27/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

got it for Christmas.
i was excited to try it 'cause it's weird,wild and wacky.
unfortunately,it did not taste good at all...
maybe i just don't know smoked beer?
i do know doughnuts and maple!
oh,well.
thanks to those who gave it to me anyway (u know who u r!).
cheers!

1.76/5  rDev -37.1%

Beer is absolutely awful. Tastes of sweet salty maple mixed with some nasty base light beer. This was drain poured.

2.4/5  rDev -14.3%

Smells pleasant, smoked bacon, mild sweet maple syrup. Clear copper, thin white head. Taste was like a watered down version of the aroma, Bacon, sweet maple in the background. Hops come into play toward the finish. Overall I am new to smoked ales, this offering will be my last. Bacon is good with pancakes, not in beer.

3.61/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I could have sworn that I had transcribed these notes previously! It is indicative of why I am leaving the teaching profession - time burns away for nine-plus months in return for the summers off. Bah! It was early-to-mid September 2013 and fellow beer writer, Beer Island, had stopped by. I had been sitting on this bomber for a while and I figured that since I had help, I would finally open it. That, and it had not been an inexpensive purchase to begin with!

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Tres & Cat Daddy, th Rogues of Voodoo Doughnuts."

I popped off the "oxygen fixing cap" and gave us each a nice pour, producing two fingers of deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep-amber (they note it as 30 Lovibond) with NE-quality clarity. I usually look at others' reviews and i quickly realized that the nose had mellowed since its initial release, becoming much less maple-sweet and more like a bacon smokiness. It suddenly hit me - it smelled like dark rum! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, but by closing my eyes, I could have sworn that I had rum in my glass. Finish was smoky-sweet and from what I could gather from previous reviews, much better than it had been, initially.

2.56/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok so I went to a beer store and got this just really for the novelty of it. I didn't have very good expectations...and for good reason. The appearance is decent with a nice amber color. Smell is just as the name implies...smoke....bacon...maple with a little hop scent to it. Taste was a little overwhelming. The maple and bacon hits you like a brick right up front. Cant really taste much else. If it would have stayed at that it might not have been so bad. Then you get the huge taste of what is like liquid smoke. Overwhelming smoke flavor that was just too much! This is a good novelty beer but not much else!

3.96/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

When it is fresh it does not really drink well. The bacon dare i say was a little overwhelming with maple sweetness. Had a hard time drinking it with ease. However after this had a year age on it, wow. The flavors had mellowed together very well. The bacon had softened an the blend tasted like bacon maple pancake. With an malty ale finish. My only regret is that I didn't buy more to age. I am saddened by this. Please make this again. I will by a case or two and let it sit.

1.36/5  rDev -51.4%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad.

3.8/5  rDev +35.7%

750ml bottle. Palm Snifter glass (from my 2012 notes). Deep orange color & cloudy appearance. Off-white to light beige foam creates a thick crown. Complex aroma profile shows intense maple syrup, smoked malts, burnt candy, pancake, roasted notes & burnt wood. Smoked upfront followed by arising sweetness. Light to medium body. Moderate carbonation. Viscous mouthfeel. In the middle, touches of bacon & slight salty with biscuit maltiness linger in a sweet finish. Woody aftertaste. You´re gonna be shocked by strong sensations but the pink color bottle won´t be the main one !!

1.7/5  rDev -39.3%

This is the worst beer I have ever had the pleasure of tasting, I had to rinse my tulip glass twice to get rid of the overwhelming maple barf flavor. I would not recommend this gem to an enemy. The carbonation was poor and as the temperature of the beer rose so did the awful aftertaste. I am sooo glad that this beer was retired. That being said, "I still love ya Rogue".

2.87/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I've tried all the Voodoo Doughnut brews from Rogue, this was my first experience with that line and my opinion is that the beer isn't all THAT bad, just that really bad 'bacon' flavor. To me the 'bacon' simply tastes like liquid smoke, that's all. And anybody who cooks with liquid smoke knows, a little will go a LONG way. I feel like they could have toned down the 'bacon' flavor and turned up the maple taste and it would have come out a much better brew. I'll give Rogue credit though, it's unique and the warmer it got, the better it got. I don't think it's as bad as these ratings suggest but it definitely is more of a 'novelty' beer.

1.32/5  rDev -52.9%

I bought this tonight as a "what the hell why not" $12 mistake. This is the worst thing I have ever drank. You should buy it just to see how bad it is!! Should be called Rogue jock strap sweat sock poison ivy band aid ale. I feel victimized and violated had to crack open a Gandhi Bot quickly just to feel normal again. Why dear god why would they put this out there!! I don't know if I will ever get that taste and smell out of my brain , some things cannot be undone. Pray for me.

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

I'm a bacon fan as well as a beer fan, so when I heard of this I was hopeful but I know that bacon into a beer form would be a long shot and I was sated in knowing that there would be disappointment,
So when I was finally able to try it I was not surprised that it wasn't good, I've tried it 3 times now
-1x when I lived in MS
-1x living in TX
-1x when I had a buddy from Portland bring me a bottle from OR.
STILL, to no avail, this beer is not going to get any better
3 strikes = YOU'RE OUT

3.24/5  rDev +15.7%

A: This poured a clear light copper with moderate light tan head.
S: It smelled like smoky bacon and sweet maple syrup, with some copper and powdered sugar.
T: It tasted like smoky bacon and burnt sugar, with some rusty copper and a little maple syrup. It had a harsh dirty aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was a fun brew to try as a gimmick. The scent was actually pretty good, but the taste and finish were really rough like a poor rauchbier. So not easy to drink, or very enjoyable. Lots of missed potential with this one.

3.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle 5,6% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a wine glass and a snifter.
No bottle date.

Appearance: I must say, this is quite a bit lighter than I was expecting - pouring a lightly hazy amber-orange colour. A rough pour yields a large off white head that lasts fantastically well and coats the glass in some interesting patterns of lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Wow, the nose is absolutely bursting with thick heavy smoke and ridiculously sweet golden syrup. The smoke character offers meaty notes as well as a little campfire, but remains firmly in the fake liquid smoke realm. Other notes include: Pale malt, a woody pine note and brown sugar.

Taste: Huge smoky malt and sickly sweet golden/maple syrup make up majority of the flavor. The meaty smoke actually does a good job to balance the ridiculous sweetness of the maple and keep the beer somewhat drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this really doesn’t work! The body is light and somehow seems watery and lightly sticky at the same time, while the carbonation is of a very high level and somewhat harsh.

Overall: After the banana-chocolate-peanut-butter version I was expecting the worst from this bottle, but actually its far from dreadful. I would like to try a version that is made with real ingredients (not flavouring ) and has the abv bumped up to around 10%.

1.33/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light amber color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and not much lacing. Aroma consists of smoked malt with overly gross sweet notes which is incredibly messy. Taste is absolutely disgusting with awful smoked malt notes mix with overly gross sweet flavours. Body is light with good carbonation. Incredibly messy beer.

2.11/5  rDev -24.6%

22oz bomber to pint glass

A: Hazy amber with tan, thick head.

S: Artificial. Fake smoke, fake maple.

T: Just like it smells and horribly sweet. Can't get over the fake syrup taste.

M: Sticky. moderate carbonation.

O: Not Rogue's best work. The doughnut is much better.

1.88/5  rDev -32.9%

This has got to be, the absolute worst beer I ever tried. My boyfriend and I love Maple. love Doughnuts, love Bacon... we also have the wonder of owning/operating a barbecue restaurant. Unfortunately, the best taste comparison I can provide, is Liquid Smoke (which is also a horrible and nasty thing).

As someone familiar with BBQ, you always want the smokey flavor to be there, and be noticeable, but there is a fine line where something becomes too smokey. That was this beer, it was all smoke, I tried my hardest to pick out notes of anything else. But in the end, I committed beer abuse, this guy went down the sink, made me sad, especially since it was pricey.

3.67/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

really interesting brew.
a smokey burning smell.
has a smokey pencil taste in the beginning with slight maple hints and sweetens as it warms releasing hoppy notes on the pallet but still keeping that smokey taste also bringing out that apple wood smoked bacon flavor.

1.67/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A: Dosent look too bad. Poured a murky reddish orange.

S: fake liquid smoke and pencil shavings with a touch of maple. Awful. My whole house smells like a fire. Extremely overpowering.

T: Very similar to the smell. Fake liquid smoke bombards everything. A bit of maple at the finish. Small amount of hop bitterness at the back of the tounge as it warmed.

M: medium carbonation mouthfeel was a little thin.

Overall: its kinda cool that rogue tried to experiment by doing something different, but it was very poorly executed. I had to give the rest to my buddy. If you don't like smoked beers I would not advise you wasting your money on this. It's a shame, because everytjibg else I had from rogue was pretty Damn good. Was a huge disappointment.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales