Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
3.23/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance: The best thing you can say about this beer is that it is a real looker; three or four fingers of foam stack the clear amber liquid; the retention is great as is the lacing

Smell: Just as advertised, smells like a bacon maple doughnut - not sure what a Voodoo smells like, however

Taste: What smells rather interesting just tastes bizarre, with the bacon, smoke, doughnut and maple and maple flavors all interspersed; I take that back - it is interesting for a few sips and then it becomes bizarre; of all the flavors, it is the doughnut that lingers on the tongue in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: This one belongs in the category of "Just because you can make it doesn't mean you should."

3.74/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Savory to the max, if you are a lush for breakfast like me then a simple whiff of this crazy-ass ale immediately makes a b-line to Bob Evans a top priority. Definately a guilty pleasure beer review coming right up...

The ale pours with a mostly clear honey-amber color with a short-lived semi-dainty, semi-fluffy head that never shares any lace and sheds its carbonated stream fairly early to take on appearances of thin cognac.

Once my nose hits the glass, I could essentially tie a strap around my head and take one big long intoxicating nap. All the aromas that are best about breakfast land in this glass. Maple syrup richness, light buttered pancakes, smoky bacon, caramel, biscuit, and a near-bourbon or rum note from alcohol. Not exactly complex- but the simple and pure aromas play out on a smokier-than-need-be base.

Flavors are just as silly and surprisingly charming as the maple and bacon flavors rise from the smoky dry-malt pillow underneath. But without a heartier starchy malt or caramelly sweet support, I find the beer somewhat thin in taste and lacking togetherness at mid palate through finish. Instead the flavor of meaty hickory smoke turns slight ashy and vanilla-like. In aftertaste, the beer leaves me with the taste of flat cream soda. Not all in all unappealing, but odd to find these combinations of taste in beery form.

The flavors seem to brace the palate for rich texture and chewy weight. But none of that's found and leaves the palate underwhelmed. The much needed carbonation is fast fleeting, leaving the thinner-than-desired beer to cling desperately to the tongue and lingers on the mouth like flat cola. The smoke-turn-ash taste translates to texture with a slight acrid finish to accompany the saccharine coat.

This recipe has a ton of potential. There's something in me that yearns for these flavors to play out over the mouthfeel that's found in, say, Founders Cashew Mountain Brown. Perhaps we should wait on Rogues "Imperial" Voodoo Doughnut? Rogue, we're lookin' at you...?

1.33/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light amber color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and not much lacing. Aroma consists of smoked malt with overly gross sweet notes which is incredibly messy. Taste is absolutely disgusting with awful smoked malt notes mix with overly gross sweet flavours. Body is light with good carbonation. Incredibly messy beer.

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

3.85/5  rDev +37.5%

This beer was something I was seriously debatin on even buying. I didn't think I would be able to even drink it but I was pleasantly surprised. The beer poured out as a hazy brownish amber color with a light tan colored head. The lacing isn't that great but there is a decent retention. The smell of the beer give off a big smokey sweet aroma. The taste of the beer is actually really quite nice. There is a lot of smokey flavors but they're really well balanced with the sweetness of the maple. I'm surprised by this beer honestly. The mouthfeel is my least favorite part of the beer. Much like most Rogue beers its watery to me. There just isn't enough body. Overall this beer was much better than I expected. I can honestly say I would drink it again if I could find it cheap enough.

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

2.41/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a murky brown color with a small off-white head that vanishes quickly. This smells like diabetes. Cloyingly sweet with a very smokey and meaty aroma to it. Maple syrup, sugar, brown sugar, and caramel are all very prominent. The flavor is just not enjoyable. Intense smoke, meat, and salt flavors washed down with several different varieties of sugar. No thanks.

3.62/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i agree with others that this was not nearly as gimmicky as it seemed at first glance, and is actually surprisingly drinkable. cool pink bottle with gnarly art pours (oddly enough) a nice clearish maple syrup color, glowing, with a nice one inch white head. it smells very smokey, peaty almost like scotch whiskey, with a definite maple aroma as well. i do not really smell bacon, but i guess it could be there, very breakfasty. the bacon is more evident in the flavor, toward the back end and into the finish it is present, not at all unpleasant. i was worried, but this is far from offensive. nice and sweet mapley at first, but not overly so, then a mellow scotch-like flavor, followed by the bacon and a smokey conclusion. feel is not bad, mellow carbonation works well here, body is an average sort of medium. overall a cool idea, glad i found it for 12 bucks. worth a try for the curious palate.

2.06/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle generously shared by Arbitrator.

Hazy with a rust hue, little head formation. Smells like wood smoke and salty meat, cheap pancake syrup, caramel malt. The scent of smoke and bacon is pretty overpowering, and almost overshadows the maple. The palate is surprisingly bland, dominated by woodsmoke, bacon and a dry maple flavor. Body is oddly thin, finish is woody, smoky and unpleasantly salty. Not as horrid as I was expecting, but nowhere near good.

3.92/5  rDev +40%

22oz bottle, 7% ABV, and a hideous shellacked candy-floss pink. Very Homer Simpson doughnut-esque, I suppose, with a weird graphic portraying a hog-crushing 'gentleman', against a background of my nation's national symbol. Ok, then. Like many before me, I spent a few days last summer drinking my way around Portland, and made pilgrimages to both hedonistic meccas. Bacon doughnuts were weird enough, so this must just be the logical extension, PDX-style.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden amber hue, with two regular customer fingers of dense frothy pale beige head, which leaves some Joshua tree lace around parts of the glass as it steadily and surely recedes. It smells, at first from a distance, of sweet, dark sugary maple syrup, which is quickly subsumed by a meaty smoky essence, lingering on edge between generic and full-on savoury breakfast pork product, with no other native aromas strong enough to poke through - I am strongly reminded of my last morning hangover cure visit to a US-based IHOP - and that meal even cost less than this bomber did on this side of the border.

Anyways, the taste is immediately more heavy on the smokiness, with both the succulent pork side and thick maple notes going swiftly AWOL, replaced by a relatively weak grainy, somewhat caramelized, and heretofore obscured malt. This sounds like a downer, but it pretty much works - I don't think I could have taken the tree sap sweetness in the nose as an equally pervasive component of the flavour. This is beer, not deep-fried pastry. I even sense a bit of weedy, earthy hops (mostly because you wouldn't find them it either of the titular ingredients).

The body is generally agreeable, with the bubbles doing nothing to really distinguish themselves, good or bad, the weight deftly kept in the medium-light range, and lacking smoothness only due to the pervasively acrid smoke. It finishes more malty that anything as yet, the salty smoke and muddled sweetness becoming even further marginalized.

Well, it is what it says it is. First I get maple. Then I get bacon (or thereabouts). Finally I get ale. What else is there? A big marketing schtick turned drinkable, if not freaky good (how you do that with this style eludes me) sooty amber ale. Man, do I want me some food cart nosh at this very moment...

3.19/5  rDev +13.9%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

This is the first beer my friends and I enjoyed in the then-brand new 2012. It pours a partly cloudy sunrise amber topped by about a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose is a blast of sweet doughnut (powdered sugar, bread, frosting, the works...I think I even got some sprinkles in there...), with a vague touch of beech smoke in the very back. Delicious. The taste, though, goes decently awry, with the smoke coming closer to the audience (and now wearing a bit of an oak mask), the sweetness faded almost completely, the bread taking a larger role than before, and some mild maple syrup randomly inserting itself into conversations at the most awkward moments. The combination just doesn't come together as it did in the smell; instead, it leaves a strange, mildly objectionable taste in my mouth. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a sorta slick feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a laudable experiment, but one that falls short of true success. Now, if only I could make a candle from the aroma...

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.82/5  rDev +36.4%

A - Pours with two fingers of off-white foam on top of a slightly hazy, golden-brown body. the head settles fairly quickly and leaves light lace.

S - I can smell smoke and maple syrup before I even pick the glass up. A strongly smoky aroma of hickory, leather, and peat with hugely sweet maple sugar and some bacon. It smells like flavored pipe tobacco.

T - A shockingly mild (after that aroma) flavor of sweet, bready malt and smoke up front. Some maple sugar flavors come out in the middle and the smoke ramps up with hickory and bacon notes. The beer finishes with strong, now peaty, smoke and maple as well as a lingering leathery character.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - Really weird, the odd flavorings really jump out in the aroma, but the flavor is relatively subdued. Based on the aroma I expected something huge and over the top smoky, but the flavor profile is much more in line with the modest alcohol content. I like smoky beers and this one work quite a bit better than I expected. It is, nonetheless, a novelty and certainly not something I would drink regularly and if you don't like smoke this isn't going to appeal to you at all.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

2.52/5  rDev -10%

I had this at the pre Jackie O's release tasting at fluff. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange color with a ring of white head.

Smell: Quite smokey, not sure how much of that comes from the bacon or not. Definitely picking up the sweetness from the maple syrup.

Taste: Think maple syrup poured into water and then smoked. Not a huge fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really weird beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it, but I wouldn't want more.

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

1.74/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: bottle from Capone's, Norristown, PA

Yeah, finally broke down and decided to try this one, despite the mixed to negative reviews and reports. And after one serving, I'm going to have to side with the naysayers on this one.

Decanted into an East End stem glass, a hazy, amber liquid, a somewhat aggressive pour producing about three fingers of rocky beige head; nice retention and lacing. Looked fine enough, but unfortunately, that's about where the beauty ended for this beer. A heavy hit of smoke in the nose, which I guess could be vaguely construed as bacon, but is more like spent cigarette ash and heavily salted pork jerky. With time, the aroma improved a bit, with the sweet maple coming out more as the beer warmed. A quick taste of sweet malts and maple greeted me up front, but within hmm probably less than a second, the gritty ash taste took over, accompanied by rock salt and rubber, making it feel like I just chain-smoked half a pack of cigarettes while changing a tire on a snow- and saline-covered roadway, instead of eating a side of bacon with my doughnut. Mouthfeel was pretty off-putting as would be imagined, about medium bodied. Maybe as a stout or porter this concept for a beer would would better, but as a thinned out pale ale, it's just not happening. Two half pours among the wife and I, and the rest of this was a drain pour. I don't know why an otherwise great brewery like Rogue keeps making this stuff, but someone must be buying it in bulk quantities to keep it in production.

A good beer in theory, but not in reality. Pure novelty here, and not in a good way.

3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

Hazy, crimson appearance, under a lush, looming, booming, slightly off-white head, sparkling and lace-leaving.

Aroma: screams out from first pour, the maple and the bacon, together as one. Let's go in further…Smoke hits first, and you can feel the fire below, plenty of char above the maple and bacon, like walking into a freshly burned building. I think I liked it better before I went in for a closer sniff.

Taste: Big, fresh smoked malt right away, matched with mild hoppiness, and then in roars the maple, then the bacon. Malt is lighter than I imagined. Did I expect a porter? Perhaps I anticipated a breadier mouthfeel, for a more "doughnutty" taste?
Maybe because I've never had a Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut, I can't compare this against it's true inspiration?

Somewhat thinnish mouthfeel, uninspiring flavor, beyond the gimmicky additions. Doesn't make me think of a doughnut in the least.

This should only be sampled among a large group of friends so that everyone gets a smallish taste, and can all agree on how sad this brew is…don't make my mistake and try to tackle it on your own.

2.86/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.38/5  rDev +20.7%

From 05/31/12 notes. Been wanting to try this one for a while despite the reviews. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a deep murky amber color with two inches of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of maple, smoke, bacon, fruit, sugar, and sweet fruity malts.. Smoke and maple are very strong in the taste, and are pretty nice.

t - Tastes of smoke, bacon, maple, fruity malts, sweet molasses and sugar. Taste is similar to the nose, but less maple and not as sweet. A step down for me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, pretty smooth body.

o - Overall a decent smoked beer, though the smoke is very strong. Nose is exactly what I imagine they were going for, though the maple is faded in the taste. Interesting to try but wouldn't seek it out again, one to share for sure.

3.01/5  rDev +7.5%

750ml pink coated brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Wades Wines in Westlake Village, California for $12.99 plus tax and served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are low; it seems like a gimmicky beer with a proliferance of flavours that don't seem appealing when combined. I usually enjoy Rogue's beers, though, and I'm hoping it's good. I like the style.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, slight cream, below average thickness, and average retention considering the merely average ABV. Colour is a mundane semitransparent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Doughnut is certainly recognizable, a feature I find intriguing if suspect. Applewood, maple, and smoke are all pungent. Rather fresh and appealing. I don't think anyone's doubting it's a unique aroma. Very bold and experimental. Bravo, rogue. I'm just hoping it's not too sugary. I'm rather impressed by the character of the aroma, which never feels artificial. I search for bacon but don't find it. The aroma is downright strong, to its credit.

T: Sweet applewood, brown sugar, maple wood, maple syrup, and a distinctive doughnut flavour are all noticeable. Bacon and smoke are notably absent. Cherry wood and appley crisp malts form the body. It's certainly full-bodied and well rounded. The malt layering is fantastic, and really lends the beer a central core that works incredibly well as a good foundation. Unfortunately, there is a syrupy artificial quality to the maple in particular, which brings the quality of the flavour profile down. These are bold, experimental flavours, and they're nicely balanced, This could easily beat you over the head but it restrains itself from doing so. That said, I wouldn't dare venture to call this subtle. For what the beer is trying to do, it's pretty decently built. Whether or not it's a good aim in the first place is up for debate. Complex and intricate with a perhaps undesirable end result. I like it in small quantities I guess. It feels boozier than it is, which is a problem. Very sweet and overburdened by sugars.

Mf: Entirely too thick and syrupy, but in a way that's what the brewers seem to be going for. I don't think anyone buys this thinking it will be thin. Smooth and wet, but lacking depth or fullness. Surprisingly light on the palate - to its discredit. Adequately carbonated. Actually somewhat watery on the finish.

Dr: The more I drink it, the less I like it. It's not at all drinkable; I don't know that I'm looking forward to consuming a full bottle of this. The scene in Super Troopers wherein they drink the syrup comes to mind. Doesn't hide its mere 5.6% ABV well. Where's the smoke and bacon? An interesting beer that everyone should try merely for its unique quality and impressive aroma, but not a fantastic beer by any margin. I applaud Rogue for the innovation, and I think there's a better beer to be made based on some of the better qualities of this one. But I won't be buying this one again. An oddity, but less of a gimmick than I anticipated.

A decent candidate for aging perchance. I'd be interested to see if the sugars receded over time.

Drinks fine out of a pint glass. I don't know that there's a better serving vessel.

Would pair well with diabetes medication. Okay, that was a cheap shot.

Priced highly.

C

3.23/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to my brother for sharing this bottle. I really had no idea what to expect, so I tried to go in with an open mind.

The beer pours and orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is definitely heavy on the smoke, with some maple syrup notes thrown in. Not bad. The flavor is also pretty heavy on the woody smoke, with some maple syrup and toffee notes thrown in. All of those notes mix fairly well together. Medium to thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Surprisingly, I don't hate the beer. The four or five ounces I had were enough, but I thought the beer was OK and am glad I got to try it. I thought all the notes mixed pretty well together, they were just so strong and in your face that it would be tough to drink too much of this beer.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales