Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
nickfl

3.83/5  rDev +36.3%

A - Pours with two fingers of off-white foam on top of a slightly hazy, golden-brown body. the head settles fairly quickly and leaves light lace.

S - I can smell smoke and maple syrup before I even pick the glass up. A strongly smoky aroma of hickory, leather, and peat with hugely sweet maple sugar and some bacon. It smells like flavored pipe tobacco.

T - A shockingly mild (after that aroma) flavor of sweet, bready malt and smoke up front. Some maple sugar flavors come out in the middle and the smoke ramps up with hickory and bacon notes. The beer finishes with strong, now peaty, smoke and maple as well as a lingering leathery character.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - Really weird, the odd flavorings really jump out in the aroma, but the flavor is relatively subdued. Based on the aroma I expected something huge and over the top smoky, but the flavor profile is much more in line with the modest alcohol content. I like smoky beers and this one work quite a bit better than I expected. It is, nonetheless, a novelty and certainly not something I would drink regularly and if you don't like smoke this isn't going to appeal to you at all.

07-17-2012 05:02:32 | More by nickfl
feloniousmonk

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Hazy, crimson appearance, under a lush, looming, booming, slightly off-white head, sparkling and lace-leaving.

Aroma: screams out from first pour, the maple and the bacon, together as one. Let's go in further…Smoke hits first, and you can feel the fire below, plenty of char above the maple and bacon, like walking into a freshly burned building. I think I liked it better before I went in for a closer sniff.

Taste: Big, fresh smoked malt right away, matched with mild hoppiness, and then in roars the maple, then the bacon. Malt is lighter than I imagined. Did I expect a porter? Perhaps I anticipated a breadier mouthfeel, for a more "doughnutty" taste?
Maybe because I've never had a Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut, I can't compare this against it's true inspiration?

Somewhat thinnish mouthfeel, uninspiring flavor, beyond the gimmicky additions. Doesn't make me think of a doughnut in the least.

This should only be sampled among a large group of friends so that everyone gets a smallish taste, and can all agree on how sad this brew is…don't make my mistake and try to tackle it on your own.

08-27-2012 08:13:23 | More by feloniousmonk
drabmuh

05-13-2013 15:29:11 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

Thanks to my brother for sharing this bottle. I really had no idea what to expect, so I tried to go in with an open mind.

The beer pours and orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is definitely heavy on the smoke, with some maple syrup notes thrown in. Not bad. The flavor is also pretty heavy on the woody smoke, with some maple syrup and toffee notes thrown in. All of those notes mix fairly well together. Medium to thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Surprisingly, I don't hate the beer. The four or five ounces I had were enough, but I thought the beer was OK and am glad I got to try it. I thought all the notes mixed pretty well together, they were just so strong and in your face that it would be tough to drink too much of this beer.

06-13-2012 04:40:46 | More by Mora2000
Rifugium

1.7/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: bottle from Capone's, Norristown, PA

Yeah, finally broke down and decided to try this one, despite the mixed to negative reviews and reports. And after one serving, I'm going to have to side with the naysayers on this one.

Decanted into an East End stem glass, a hazy, amber liquid, a somewhat aggressive pour producing about three fingers of rocky beige head; nice retention and lacing. Looked fine enough, but unfortunately, that's about where the beauty ended for this beer. A heavy hit of smoke in the nose, which I guess could be vaguely construed as bacon, but is more like spent cigarette ash and heavily salted pork jerky. With time, the aroma improved a bit, with the sweet maple coming out more as the beer warmed. A quick taste of sweet malts and maple greeted me up front, but within hmm probably less than a second, the gritty ash taste took over, accompanied by rock salt and rubber, making it feel like I just chain-smoked half a pack of cigarettes while changing a tire on a snow- and saline-covered roadway, instead of eating a side of bacon with my doughnut. Mouthfeel was pretty off-putting as would be imagined, about medium bodied. Maybe as a stout or porter this concept for a beer would would better, but as a thinned out pale ale, it's just not happening. Two half pours among the wife and I, and the rest of this was a drain pour. I don't know why an otherwise great brewery like Rogue keeps making this stuff, but someone must be buying it in bulk quantities to keep it in production.

A good beer in theory, but not in reality. Pure novelty here, and not in a good way.

09-06-2012 12:45:37 | More by Rifugium
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i agree with others that this was not nearly as gimmicky as it seemed at first glance, and is actually surprisingly drinkable. cool pink bottle with gnarly art pours (oddly enough) a nice clearish maple syrup color, glowing, with a nice one inch white head. it smells very smokey, peaty almost like scotch whiskey, with a definite maple aroma as well. i do not really smell bacon, but i guess it could be there, very breakfasty. the bacon is more evident in the flavor, toward the back end and into the finish it is present, not at all unpleasant. i was worried, but this is far from offensive. nice and sweet mapley at first, but not overly so, then a mellow scotch-like flavor, followed by the bacon and a smokey conclusion. feel is not bad, mellow carbonation works well here, body is an average sort of medium. overall a cool idea, glad i found it for 12 bucks. worth a try for the curious palate.

05-20-2012 21:21:55 | More by StonedTrippin
oline73

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

I had this at the pre Jackie O's release tasting at fluff. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange color with a ring of white head.

Smell: Quite smokey, not sure how much of that comes from the bacon or not. Definitely picking up the sweetness from the maple syrup.

Taste: Think maple syrup poured into water and then smoked. Not a huge fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really weird beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it, but I wouldn't want more.

12-05-2011 00:42:03 | More by oline73
mdfb79

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

From 05/31/12 notes. Been wanting to try this one for a while despite the reviews. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a deep murky amber color with two inches of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of maple, smoke, bacon, fruit, sugar, and sweet fruity malts.. Smoke and maple are very strong in the taste, and are pretty nice.

t - Tastes of smoke, bacon, maple, fruity malts, sweet molasses and sugar. Taste is similar to the nose, but less maple and not as sweet. A step down for me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, pretty smooth body.

o - Overall a decent smoked beer, though the smoke is very strong. Nose is exactly what I imagine they were going for, though the maple is faded in the taste. Interesting to try but wouldn't seek it out again, one to share for sure.

06-06-2012 19:39:17 | More by mdfb79
Gueuzedude

Arizona

2.94/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

For some reason I was expecting a dark beer, instead I end up with a dark amber brew that shows a hazed, full amber hue with gold highlights when held up to the light. The head is an almost two-finger thick, pale tan color as it sits in my New Belgium Globe glass. The aroma smells of smoke up front that is quickly overcome by a sweet, sugary, maple note. Once you really start to look at the nose the smokiness never disappears and in fact has phenolic notes that suggest strongly of burnt / curing plastic; luckily this is not overwhelming, but it is definitely a problem I have noticed repeatedly from the Briess Cherrywood smoked malt. It is amazing how much this smells like a sugar laden, maple glazed doughnut; an extremely interesting aroma that definitely seems to have nailed the maple component, the bacon though just really isn’t present as the cherrywood smoked malt seems to be a consistently poor choice in the beers I have tried it in.

Despite smelling huge and sticky sweet, the beer is actually fairly dry. It has an almost tartness to it up front, but quickly picks up a smoky flavor that lingers in the palate and the finish has an ample maple like flavor lingering on along with the smokiness. The smoky flavors are quite as plastic like as it is in the nose, but there is a suggestion of plastic to the finish; otherwise it almost has an astringent woody edge to it. The maple character seems more in common with fake pancake syrup than real maple syrup, but it actually isn’t really all that bad though. There is not real bitterness to this beer, it gets its balance from the sharper smoke character. Somewhat light bodied and actually would be fairly quaffable if this was a regular beer.

Definitely an interesting beer, it wasn’t at all what I expected and did in fact nail the maple doughnut character pretty well. The bacon really doesn’t seem to be capture well though. Overall this was interesting, but not something I ever will feel the need to try again. A couple ounces is certainly enough; worth trying for the donut aspects at least.

08-31-2013 20:18:19 | More by Gueuzedude
Halcyondays

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL pink bottle,

A: Pours a medium red amber with a moderate fizzy white head, some lace, good head retention, looks like a Rogue beer.

S: Smells like maple bars and BBQ smoke, an intriguing mix which I quite liked.

T: Tastes a lot like American Amber, has that typical Rogue pacman yeast with crystal malt base. Some smoke for sure with a hint of sugar in the finish. Not bad tasting, but nowhere near the promise of the nose.

M: Fairly light-bodied, a thin mouthfeel overall. Has some carbonic feel, sweet in the end.

O: When I saw this at my local BevMo I had to pick it up because of its uniqueness. In the end it's really not big enough to carry all the components I expected. It does smell like maple and bacon and that's great, but I want the taste to deliver it. It's not a terrible beer, but it's greatly overpriced. I'd say maybe try this once for its uniqueness, but not something to try if you want a maple bar bacon explosion in your mouth.

01-06-2012 07:41:23 | More by Halcyondays
mendvicdog

09-07-2012 19:24:10 | More by mendvicdog
kojevergas

2.95/5  rDev +5%

750ml pink coated brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Wades Wines in Westlake Village, California for $12.99 plus tax and served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are low; it seems like a gimmicky beer with a proliferance of flavours that don't seem appealing when combined. I usually enjoy Rogue's beers, though, and I'm hoping it's good. I like the style.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, slight cream, below average thickness, and average retention considering the merely average ABV. Colour is a mundane semitransparent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Doughnut is certainly recognizable, a feature I find intriguing if suspect. Applewood, maple, and smoke are all pungent. Rather fresh and appealing. I don't think anyone's doubting it's a unique aroma. Very bold and experimental. Bravo, rogue. I'm just hoping it's not too sugary. I'm rather impressed by the character of the aroma, which never feels artificial. I search for bacon but don't find it. The aroma is downright strong, to its credit.

T: Sweet applewood, brown sugar, maple wood, maple syrup, and a distinctive doughnut flavour are all noticeable. Bacon and smoke are notably absent. Cherry wood and appley crisp malts form the body. It's certainly full-bodied and well rounded. The malt layering is fantastic, and really lends the beer a central core that works incredibly well as a good foundation. Unfortunately, there is a syrupy artificial quality to the maple in particular, which brings the quality of the flavour profile down. These are bold, experimental flavours, and they're nicely balanced, This could easily beat you over the head but it restrains itself from doing so. That said, I wouldn't dare venture to call this subtle. For what the beer is trying to do, it's pretty decently built. Whether or not it's a good aim in the first place is up for debate. Complex and intricate with a perhaps undesirable end result. I like it in small quantities I guess. It feels boozier than it is, which is a problem. Very sweet and overburdened by sugars.

Mf: Entirely too thick and syrupy, but in a way that's what the brewers seem to be going for. I don't think anyone buys this thinking it will be thin. Smooth and wet, but lacking depth or fullness. Surprisingly light on the palate - to its discredit. Adequately carbonated. Actually somewhat watery on the finish.

Dr: The more I drink it, the less I like it. It's not at all drinkable; I don't know that I'm looking forward to consuming a full bottle of this. The scene in Super Troopers wherein they drink the syrup comes to mind. Doesn't hide its mere 5.6% ABV well. Where's the smoke and bacon? An interesting beer that everyone should try merely for its unique quality and impressive aroma, but not a fantastic beer by any margin. I applaud Rogue for the innovation, and I think there's a better beer to be made based on some of the better qualities of this one. But I won't be buying this one again. An oddity, but less of a gimmick than I anticipated.

A decent candidate for aging perchance. I'd be interested to see if the sugars receded over time.

Drinks fine out of a pint glass. I don't know that there's a better serving vessel.

Would pair well with diabetes medication. Okay, that was a cheap shot.

Priced highly.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

12-11-2013 03:28:27 | More by XmnwildX12
corby112

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a hazy copper color with dark golden orange edges and a one finger white head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Sweet maple syrup aroma with subtle smokiness.  Really smells like a maple syrup glazed doughnut.  Not much else going on here though.  I was expecting it to have more of a smoked malt/bacon character but it's all baked pastry dough and maple.  Not bad smelling just a bit one dimensional.

Medium bodied with very tight carbonation and an acrid, overly roasted malt presence thats lingers throughout.  There's also a powerfully unpleasant spice presence up front with hits of pepper and coriander thats eventually countered by sweeter caramel malt flavor.  Very dry, acrid and burnt with an odd, lingering maple syrup presence in the finish.  Theres also a chalky consistency thats really off putting with only slight maple syrup sweetness in the finish.  Pretty gross and doesn't live up to what I expected from the nose.

09-16-2012 00:51:18 | More by corby112

03-03-2014 05:21:40 | More by yourefragile
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.13/5  rDev +47%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I saw this release many months ago from afar, thinking it would never reach Australian shores—fair enough, it didn't, but I hit American shores and looked it up myself.

Pours a pleasant clear amber hue with lots of fizzling carbonation feeding a very solid and stolid off-white head. Light bodied, but it's not a huge beer ABV-wise. Looks decent enough.

Ooh, nose is yes oh yes just what I wanted. Pleasantly organic smoky notes sitting above a woody, genuine maple sweetness, giving it an overt, almost intentionally sickly character, which, let's face it, is what you want out of a beer with a bright pink bottle. The smoke is really pleasant and directed, giving a wood-fired note, but always reminiscent of the sweetness inherent in the beer. Wonderful stuff.

Taste is a lot lighter, and the lack of body harms it, meaning that it can't actually sustain a genuine sweetness. Here, the smoke gives a slight crisp harshness on the front, which eventually slides away into a cushioning bed of maple essence and nutty malt characters. It's still very pleasant, and the maple syrup and the smoky characters still pronounce themselves fully—it's just that it doesn't really deliver that sweetness and fullness that you expect.

Overall, though, this is an excitingly different beer, and one that genuinely does do a good job of blending all the maple-bacon goodness that you expect. It's not as sweet on the palate as I thought it might have been, and that might aid it a little, but still, it's thoroughly intriguing and very enjoyable.

06-16-2012 03:34:29 | More by lacqueredmouse
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Poured a cloudy burnt orangish/light brown color with ok carbonation presneting a dirty white cap, some bubbles and decent lacing

S: Pretty simple; bacom, maple and smoke with a little sweetness

T: Upfront is a weird sweet meets smokey meets salty thing going on..and its not good. The smokey bacon notes tend to dominate and the some maple sweetness. The finish has a sweetness to it.

M: I felt it was thin bodied, offputting and highly carbonated

O: Novelty drainpour.

07-03-2012 04:07:11 | More by barleywinefiend
woodychandler

3.61/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I could have sworn that I had transcribed these notes previously! It is indicative of why I am leaving the teaching profession - time burns away for nine-plus months in return for the summers off. Bah! It was early-to-mid September 2013 and fellow beer writer, Beer Island, had stopped by. I had been sitting on this bomber for a while and I figured that since I had help, I would finally open it. That, and it had not been an inexpensive purchase to begin with!

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Tres & Cat Daddy, th Rogues of Voodoo Doughnuts."

I popped off the "oxygen fixing cap" and gave us each a nice pour, producing two fingers of deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep-amber (they note it as 30 Lovibond) with NE-quality clarity. I usually look at others' reviews and i quickly realized that the nose had mellowed since its initial release, becoming much less maple-sweet and more like a bacon smokiness. It suddenly hit me - it smelled like dark rum! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, but by closing my eyes, I could have sworn that I had rum in my glass. Finish was smoky-sweet and from what I could gather from previous reviews, much better than it had been, initially.

07-18-2014 22:22:37 | More by woodychandler
orangesol

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to Capone's. Sampled from a sampler glass.

A - Pours murky amber orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving light lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of smoke, a bit of maple sweetness and not much else. I like it for what it is but I really don't get a lot of maple or doughnut. More like a slightly sweet smoked porter.

T - Starts off with plenty of smoke slowly giving way to a mix of sweetness and even more smoke and that is about it. The nose are decent but the taste was a big let down. The finish is just like the beginning, smoke and sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smokey, slightly sweet, feel that lingers through the finish.

O - Not bad but not great either. This is mostly just a glorified sweet smoked ale. If you have a good imagination you might like this one but just based off the beer it is just OK.

11-08-2011 18:41:45 | More by orangesol
rhoadsrage

2.4/5  rDev -14.6%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy bright copper body with a lumpy beige yellowish head that is supported by strands of microbubbles.

S- There is a strong artificial maple flavoring aroma followed by a smoke note and some layers of smoke and bacon blend a bit with a plastic band-aid note growing as the beer opens.

T- The slightly meaty flavor of bacon note with some layers of smoke ending in more plastic band-aids. Then comes the artificial maple flavoring in full force and it lingers after the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has no alcohol heat and a gentle fizz but it can’t cut the artificial maple of the tongue.

O- The complex layer of flavor are all a bit offensive and the nice smoke notes are dominated by band-aids and artificial maple flavoring. It was a bit hard to get through this beer. I’m glad I got to try one bottle but one is enough.

07-11-2013 03:14:17 | More by rhoadsrage
dbrauneis

3.58/5  rDev +27.4%

A: Pours a hazy golden orange to ruby red in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation, primarily near the surface of the beer. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a small thicker patch and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light amounts of hickory smoke with a much more significant amount of maple sweetness - very inviting. The smell becomes more balanced between the smoke and the maple as the beer warms.

T: The beer starts out with a moderate amount of smokiness - you can taste the different types of wood that were used to smoke the malts and bacon. There are some light to moderate notes of iodine, maple, and just the slightest bacon hint. There is a lingering smokiness from this beer.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. There is a light cottony/chalky coating feel left in your mouth - a light different kind of dryness than I have experienced in other beers.

O: This beer would pair perfectly with a breakfast of pancakes or french toast. The smoke smell from this beer reminds me of the smell of the wood smoke from a great BBQ joint - the hickory, beech, cherry, and applewood. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit but my expectations were not that it was going to be sweet. I would have this beer again - and I love the pink spray painted bottle.

07-21-2012 02:55:32 | More by dbrauneis
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a one finger off-white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Hazy amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Strong maple syrup nose and flavor is smoked maple flavor and bacon that makes for a strange tasting beer. Smokey finish. $12.95 for a 750ml pink bottle from Made in Oregon Portland, Or.

08-11-2012 22:26:58 | More by jdhilt