Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 434
3.53/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very interesting beer indeed! Taste is okay but the smell is really cool

3.43/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Ok effort on flavor beer with too many artificial tones.

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Total maple on the nose. Good hints of bacon and maple. Little syrupy for my liking. Very smoky.

3.77/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

No label information. Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is brewed in the style of a Smoked Ale with natural flavors added. Available as the first release in the Voodoo series in 750 ml. bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle to a snifter glass. Served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy head of a caramel cream complexion over a moderately hazy medium copper body with little visible carbonation. Retention is above average and lacing is light and spotty. 3.5

(Smell) Smoky malts, considerable doses of maple syrup, some cereal wheat and candied sugars, not much discernible bacon flavor but I suppose the smoky flavor may give the illusion of bacon. Altogether the combination of malt character, sweetened additives and sugars make for a robust collection of aromas. It's a heavy meal for the nose, and frankly I find it appealing at this stage, about as appealing as a sizable stack of pancakes with maple syrup is... before diving in. 4

(Taste) Charred wood, lightly sweetened cereal malts, a touch of dry maple and an understated sweetness, finishing on a profoundly meaty smoke flavor, strongly suggesting country cured pork products, perhaps even fatty bacon. My biggest complaint here is the limitation of the malt sweetness as insufficient to balance the smokiness of the specialty malts, perhaps this beer has become too dried out with time, otherwise it is bizarrely enjoyable. I know I'm not in the majority by this opinion, but I could realistically enjoy this bottle alone. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, lightly syrupy, moderately clean, lightly dry. Carbonation is modest, generating a light frothiness and a medium crisp finish. Body is medium+ for the style, medium/heavy overall. Balance is slightly earthy and smoky bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no notable off characters. 3.5

(Overall) I feel incredibly lucky reviewing this beer by myself, as I can't help but admit I enjoy it very much. The malt profile was hardly as cloying or viscous as I had feared it might be, although the maple and smoked wood character was still very forward, generating lots of flavor. At times I felt that the malt sweetness was dialed too low, bt I assume that three years of bottle conditioning had something to do with it. I could see enjoying a glass of this beer with a hearty, perhaps incredibly unhealthy breakfast to pair, but altogether I enjoyed this beer. 3.75

Rogue Ales'
Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale
/5.00

3.11/5  rDev +11.1%

Shared one of these guys, you could smell the maple syrup from a mile away. Wasn't as sweet as I was expecting though. Did get some smokiness on the back end of the beer, but mostly just tastes like it smells. Maple syrup-y. Aftertaste is like I just ate a lot of pancakes. Do I really want to drink maple syrup? No. Is this beer a crime against beer like some of these reviews suggest? No. Glad I drank it for the experience, but no need to buy again.

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

I recall this was tough to drink. Started with breakfast and sip on it all day

3.43/5  rDev +22.5%

When cold, I got some nice maple notes and the smoky bacon flavors were subdued. However, as it warmed, it just turned into a smoky mess.

3.59/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Strong Maple start with a smokey finish.

Too heavy on the smoke.

2.25/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

First sip at Rogue Portland 2011 with Guillermo.

3.73/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

much better than the bananna version, a decent beer but not great, mostly bought for the bottle to get added to the collection

Don't believe the hype behind this beer!

1.53/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

The hype is real: this beer is awful.

1.41/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

I always take it upon myself to try all beers... But this one was very difficult to finish... This was a bad beer...

1.38/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

The flavor tastes like plastic

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Just not a fan of the smoke flavor. Blah....

1.76/5  rDev -37.1%

Literally my first and only drain pour. Worst beer I have ever tried. Tastes like grease and liquid smoke. Just awful.

2.17/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Look:1.75
Smell:2.25
Taste:2
Feel:2.25
Overall 2.5

1.71/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Just way too much going on here ,I like maple bacon stouts but not so much for an ale! this beer does nothing for the price point involved

2.46/5  rDev -12.1%

"Tastes like waking up and making out with a huddle house waitress" -DR. "I would use it to douse a cigarette...Karl

2.12/5  rDev -24.3%

One of the Worst Beers I Ever Tried.

2.92/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

The worst craft beer I've ever had. I think my ratings are inflated.

Was a year old, to be fair.

3.83/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Must say it's different. Not my favorite but I'd drink a another if YOU buy it.

1.64/5  rDev -41.4%

Disgusting. Tastes like a dirty ashtray.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales