Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)

JohnQVD, Jun 03, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

JAHMUR, Jun 03, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Production date of March 17, 2012. Poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Medium yellow/amber colour with 2 fingers of bubbly cream coloured head.

S - Massive smoke/bacon aroma up front with a touch of maple and some sweet grainy/bready notes in the background that do have a donut-y character to them.

T - Massive smoke and bacon flavours up front. A touch of sweet maple is present in the middle. The finish highlights the bready donut-like flavour before the smoke returns in the finish.

M - Medium body; somewhat creamy. Light to moderate carbonation.

O - The beer it self was not outstanding but they pulled off the flavours very well. Everything was there - the bacon, the maple and the donut. Definitely a bottle to share.

TheSevenDuffs, Jun 03, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

odbjs735, Jun 03, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +50%

Appearance- Pours a coppery amber hue with a finger width of foamy off white head that quickly fades.

Smell- Smoky bacon, applewood, hickory, maple syrup. Sweet smelling breakfast in a glass. Bacon and maple smell was detectable upon opening the bottle.

Taste- Smokiness from the bacon and malts, followed by sweetness from the maple syrup and malts. Very subtle hops presence. There is a nice harmonious balance of flavours.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Slightly sticky and a tad thin but the thinness does not bring down the overall body.

Overall- A well executed brew with well balanced flavours by Rogue. You get what the bottle says and makes for a great experiment for the curious palate. I would maybe try this once more in the future, perhaps sharing a bottle with friends.

leaddog, Jun 03, 2012
3.23/5  rDev +15.4%

Burnt orange, creamy light tan head, solid retention.

Such a light nose. Just a faint smell of cheap maple syrup.

Smoked malt with a hint of bacon, maple, quite hoppy, then turns into a dried tree leaf taste at the end, earthy.

Soft pillowy carbonation with a lighter body and a dry feel.

Overall, not as good as I was hoping. Lacks in overall sweetness. Where's the doughnut? Different and not bad, but pretty average.

jera1350, Jun 03, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +60.7%

meich75, Jun 03, 2012

Zakk, Jun 03, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +26.1%

A: darkish amber with a bit of cloudyness
S: maple syrup, very sweet smell, after reading it was 30 ibu and smelling the strong sweet maple scent I was dreading drinking this because I'm a big fan of bitter ipas and I'm not a fan of very sweet things or maple syrup. Smells a lot like breakfast..
T: a bit of maple sweetness up front, followed by smokey flavor which is complex with a slight bacony flavor in the smoke. Not nearly as sweet or terrible as I expected. I initially only pour a half glass, but ended up drinking a little more than half the bottle (was sharing the bottle). The smokey / bacon flavor really balances out the maple. I'm glad it was not too sweet, because it smelled undrinkable to me.
M: medium bodied, bacon-smoke mouth feel.
O: overall I really enjoyed drinking this beer because it was so unique. I think the brewers did a good job at capturing the strange style of beer they were going for. I probably would not buy again due to the price of it, but it is a very unique beer experience that I'd recommend atleast giving a try and sharing with some friends.

ilikebeerandski, Jun 02, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

jsnoek, Jun 02, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

Gww1864, Jun 01, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

thefullpython, Jun 01, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +42.1%

Now to see what all the "Non-Hype" is about this beer, all I heard is bad things, and me and 3 other friends are not excited to try it. Maple and slight smoke jump out of glass. Pours slightly hazy copper with thin white head. Tastes like Pancakes....smells like pancakes. Smooth beer, really easy drinking. Just makes me want breakfast. Not much smoke in the taste, but the malt and maple together is quite nice. Actually a nice surprise. I may be looking for more of this.

beergod1, Jun 01, 2012

yeti123, May 30, 2012

WynnO, May 30, 2012

Mister_Joshy, May 30, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +51.1%

Well the beer is a hazy orangeish amber in hue with a thick off-white, close knit head that dissapates at a medium pace and doesn't leave any lacing. Certainly the weirdest presentation of a beer I've ever had with its interesting pink bottle and design. And of course the concept is a little out there too. But hey, any beer is worth a shot.

Smells pretty much like the bottle's description: bacon covered in maple syrup. A lot of smoked malt gives that distinctive bacony aroma, much like other rauschbiers that I've tried. There is an added sweetness to this nose however, obviously from the maple syrup. This gives the beer an odd pancake-like aroma that leads me to believe that this will be a cloying taste experience. I'm hoping that there will be enough hops and other flavors to give this concept beer some balance.

Ok well the first sip is not too bad. There is some balance to it while still tasting smoky and bacony as all get out. This smokiness dominates the middle and back, with that maple syrup not being as cloying as I had expected. But it does come out, especially up front. It intermingles with the smokiness, playing off the applewood-smoked bacon very well, both the sweetnesses of the applewood and the syrup finding a certain harmony with each other. The hops do find their way through the odd flavor pairing and add a bit of balance, keeping the sweetness from going to the cloying side. The malt, as well as being very smoky, is pretty bready and adds a nice full body to the beer. The carbonation is understated, giving it a feel that is not quite slick. The finish is long, with a lingering aftertaste of guess what? Bacon and maple syrup, and a touch of hops.

Overall, I actually really am enjoying this beer. The uniqueness alone gives it a leg up for me, but really its a pretty classic rauschbier--only with a bit of actual bacon to emphasize the smokiness and maple syrup to make it sweeter, which balances out the smoke. I fully expected this to be a cloying mess, but I have no problem drinking this at all. The flavors are all vibrant and the hops keep some of it at bay without taking away from the theme of this concept beer. I'm really glad my girlfriend picked this out as it has piqued my interest a bit more in the smoked beer style. Interesting concept that Rogue did a good job of bringing to life.

chodinheaven, May 30, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -4.3%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy light golden brown color, with a thin tan head that fades too quickly, leaving no lace.

This beer has a very sweet maple syrup aroma. It has a mild bacon like aroma aw sell. It pretty much smells like bacon pancakes from the Original Pancake House in San Diego. The aroma is pretty strong, and a bit overwhelming.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. Maple bacon pancakes. It is slightly cloying, and pretty sweet.

This beer is carbonated well. It leaves a very sweet maple aftertaste.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. The flavor and aroma is so aggressive and cloying. It is ok in small doses, but not more than one bottle.

Overall: I wasnt expecting this beer to be great. I wanted to try it just because it was different than anything I have had before. I didnt hate it. I also didnt like it. It was unique, and not awful. Just very sweet and cloying. I wont be buying it again, but I am not sorry I got it this time.

OStrungT, May 30, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +37.5%

Finally trying one after avoiding the first batch.

A: 1/2" tan coloured head over orange/brown amber liquid.

S: Extremely powerful maple syrup that is noticeable from far away, as I put my nose in closer I smell bacon and smoke. Like a pancakes with Canadian maple syrup and bacon breakfast.

T: Salty, smoky, bacon, sweet malt, maple syrup I really don't know what else to say. The most scary thing is that the taste grows on me.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation. Slick bacon grease is coating the insides of my mouth after every sip.

O: Well I never thought I would have my mouth coated in bacon grease from a beer, but here I am. Its a beautiful freak of a beer, and considering the ingredients it should taste worse than it does.

DaftCaskBC, May 29, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

schopenhauerale, May 28, 2012

SaxmanRick, May 27, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +35%

Golden with a slight haze. I was expecting it to be much darker. An amazing aroma of maple syrup, donut and bacon. I can't believe they got that aroma so accurately and effectively into a beer. The taste is not nearly as sweet as it smells. It's actually on the dryer side with a subtle sweetness in the background. The flavor is led more by a smoky aspect.

I wouldn't drink this often but it was a very interesting experiment in bottling donuts.

GJ40, May 27, 2012