Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
3.65/5  rDev +30.4%

clear amber with no head. the smell is intense bacon smokiness with sweet sweet maple syrup... taste = bacon and pancakes. The aftertaste is sweet and smoky, much like this beer was in every other category. Not a terrible beer, gotta be in the right mindset for it though

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

3.54/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a darker amber IPA like color. Big frothy head, leaves to thin disk. Some spotty lace.

S - Best part. I get it all, baby. Fresh hot glazed donuts, smoky bacon and maple syrup. Breakfast at its best.

T - Not the best part. Smokier than I had hoped, thinner than I had hoped, and not as sweet as I had hoped. The maple comes in lingering at the finish. I thought it would be tons fatter.

M - Medium body, good carb, balance is neutral. Not much to balance. Nice lingering maple at the very end.

D - Fun beer to try and a great attempt!

3.86/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out a copper and amber color, everyone else was expecting a stout colored beer I think. Mild thin head. The aroma that gushed from the beer was amazing, I didn't even bend my head down after popping the crown before a beautiful aroma of maple, syrup, cinammon, mild smoke aromas and doughnuts tickled my nose.

The amount of smoked wood/malt going on here is pretty big and diverse. Like all bacon beers, you really have to search for the bacon, its not massive by any stretch of the imagination.

One of my more favorite smoked beers. Would like this beer even more if there was less smoke in the taste, and more of the aroma stuff in the taste, relatively speaking. I would maybe thicken up the body of the beer, lighten the smoke and this could be an amazing beer.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale pours an amber color with a white head from a pink painted 750 ml bottle. It smells just like doughnuts. The flavor tastes like pancakes and maple syrup, I don't really pick up on any bacon or smoke flavors, but some of the people I'm sharing the bottle with do. Interesting, I think the maple is nicely done and this beer is worth a try, even if I wouldn't want to drink it on a regular basis.

4.01/5  rDev +43.2%

Poured from a bomber into my Stone tulip...

A -Pours a clear, deep golden color With a thin 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving very little lacing.

S - From the pop of the cap I smelled the sweet maple syrup. After I poured, swirled, and sniffed I got the smoky bacon. Smells exactaly how I would imagine.

T/M - Smokey, baconey goodness. The smokiness is a little over powering, but you still get the sweetness from the maple syrup on the front end. The mouthfeel is a little lighter than I expected, but then again so is the beer. I was expecting more of a porter, but this is lighter. The favors really hold on to your tongue for a while, real staying power.

O - This is the real McCoy right here. I read the reviews, and I was a bit hesitant. I'm glad I got it and tried it. To me, it's a great balance of sweet on the front, and salty smokey finish. This beer is exactaly what it claims to be. Bravo Rogue, Bravo

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

3.24/5  rDev +15.7%

Split a bottle with a friend. Thank God I didn't try this on my own, there is no way I could have finished it! I don't really know how to rate this because it is very true to the name and description.

A: Pours a hazy orange brown color, I didn't know there could be a color of beer that would be unappitizing but this is def one of them. No head or lacing.

S: Tons of maple, some hints of the bacon to come. kind of toasty too.

T: SO WEIRD!!! Maple and Bacon, thats it. Kinda a sour salty flavor to it. Hard to drink, but we finished it.

M: light, crispy bason.

O: Its hard to give this beer a bad review because they set out to brew a maple bacon stout and thats what it is. Im not a big fan of Rouge but this was ballsy and they pulled off a beverage that was semi drinkable, brewed with bacon!

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

3.5/5  rDev +25%

4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

2.82/5  rDev +0.7%

A- light amber brown appearance with nice fluffy head.

S- maple is the dominant smell, delicious. Smokey in there too. Really smells good. Reminds you of breakfast.

T- Smokey flavor, almost reminds me of a cigar. Its a smokier than most smoked beers I have had. Has a little maple flavor on the back end. Lots of smoke though, little too much for me. Almost ashtray like.

M- medium body good carbonation.

O- everything but the taste of this is pretty good. Its a tricky little beer. With The doughnut in the name I was expecting something different, like a sweet maple doughnut, with a hint of smoke, not total domination.

2.87/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Good cherry red color with a decent amount of off-white head. Thought it would be darker from the name.

S: Smells very sweet and mapley. There is a small amount of bacon smell - just enough. I love the maple smell along with the smokiness of the bacon smell. There is a sugary smell to it of cofee and yes, donuts. They nailed the smell for the name.

T: Taste like chlorine. With a mix of cigarette. When I breath out, I feel like I just smoked a cigarette. And I've never smoked before. Hard to enjoy or pinpoint any other taste when that is so overpowering.

M: Fine mouthfeel.

O: was very excited for this beer. The smell had be pumped up too but I don't even know if I am going to finish this beer...

3.3/5  rDev +17.9%

This one scares me, but I might as well try it. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass, unknown bottle date but it was only brewed once. This pours a clear amber color with a nice large foamy long lasting head. The smell is pretty good, a big whiff of maple, a little smokiness, some sugar reminds me of a maple donuts, perhaps bacon, but I don't really notice it. The feel is medium to thin with a ton of smokiness. The taste is way way different than I expected, a ton of smokiness, it almost overwhelms everything else, a little thin under the smokiness, and its hard to get any other taste, perhaps the maple.

3.5/5  rDev +25%

4.07/5  rDev +45.4%

A- Light brown with a pretty sizable light brown head, not much in the way of lacing

S- Strong maple syrup and smoked bacon aromas, only a little bit of malt comes through, smells like breakfast and easily the best part of the beer, unique

T- Smokiness comes through first, peaty and almost faintly chipotle, some moderate malt flavor and then the maple sweetness hits, not overly sweet though, some lingering bitterness, smoke and just a hint of bacon on the finish

M- Lightly carbonated, crisp and a little thin

O- Having been to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland I thought this beer achieved what it was going for. Definitely unique and worth trying if you are a fan of smoked beers and/or breakfast

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Pepto-pink capped 750 shared with a mate, poured into a mason jar.

A: Mostly clear dark golden honey (pretty much golden brown) with a quickly dissipating white head.

S: Smoke and maple sweetness. Easily the best part of the beer, the maple has a maple syrup-like scent, makes you think of breakfast around a campfire, though on the nose the smoke is more peaty...and while it is present and even prominent, the smoke is not overwhelming.

T: Beers falls apart here...the sweetness of the maple syrup is here, with a touch of honey as well, but it competes with the woody, earthy smoke and its just odd and off-putting. Reminds me a lot of a peaty, smoky scotch in its flavors, and I really only want to sip an ounce or so before I'm done. Its a bit oily at times, which combined with the smoke gives the impression of bacon...but its really just a hint.

MF: Thinner medium mouthfeel with a bit of dryness and lower carbonation.

O: Disappointed, though I wasn't riding the hype train with this one and semi-expected it to be a train wreck. A porter base, with more roasted malts, body, hints of chocolate and coffee, might have offset the ying-yang of the smoke and maple and united them in a pretty good beer. As it stands, there is no reason to try this.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%