Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)
micstache

Arizona

01-05-2012 21:48:56 | More by micstache
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

4.13/5  rDev +47%

Big thanks to Ryan for sharing this! Poured into NB globe...

A- Dark murky orange color. No head, still, muddled. So far, not so good...

S- Damn, this is a smokey, maple syrup bomb! I like it, but I think my nose is getting diabetes from nose fucking this. So overpowering, I can't get much else. Really sweet, but very accurate to what they are going for.

T/M- I get a lot of donut in the flavor, mostly the finish. Reminds me of a maple cream stick I used to get as a kid. Bacon and smokiness is a nice complex supporter and held break up the sweetness. Tiny bitterness pokes its head right before the maple finish. Body could be more lively, as the carbonation lacks a bit, but overall its not bad.

O- Unlike most BAs, I found this awesome! I think Rogue did exactly what they said they would and though it was very sweet, it still rocked, IMO. I think this is my new favorite Rogue offering and would love another bottle to myself if anyone has to trade!

01-05-2012 19:13:58 | More by TheGordianKnot
JesteR14

3.43/5  rDev +22.1%

A- Poured into my tumbler and saw a great orange color, lots of bubbles that dissipated quickly. Great color when looking at it through a light.

S- Smells smokey and sweet at the same time, almost like candied bacon smells like. Maple syrup as well. But this smell is not a strong smell, its fairly weak but still very nice.

T- the taste comes on slightly weaker than i expected when i smelled it. But to me, that is a good thing because if the flavor was stronger i would never finish the entire bottle. The flavor starts with a matly sweet taste, that moves into a smoked bacon flavor that lingers on you pallet. Its a pretty good smoked beer in my opinion.

M- watery, and smooth. Not a exciting mouthfeel

O- This is a good unique smoked beer. It is a great novelty and something that you want to try just by seeing the bottle. I upped my original overall rating because of how easy it was to drink, considering the flavor and type of beer. Like i said, if this was a stronger more pork like beer, i would have rated it down.

This is something a craft beer fan should try. Its unique and wont drink something like this all the time. Rogue did a good job making a difficult beer, and i commend them. And hell if you dont like it at least you have an awesome bottle to keep right??

01-05-2012 06:38:38 | More by JesteR14
doughanson78

Washington

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium dark amber with a tint of maple brown syrup color. Slightly hazy. One finger off white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Maple syrup pretty big upfront. Smoked meat is also very present, and smells very good. Some touches of caramel coming through. Smells like an awesome pancake, smoked bacon and sausage, all drizzled in maple syrup, cooked over a campfire, breakfast.

T: Slight sweet caramel and maple upfront. Smokey bacon and ham flavors in the middle. Not a huge smokiness. The maple comes through a lot more in the finish.

M: Pretty thin. Verging on watery. Medium carbonation. Slight crispness.

O: They actually pulled this off a little. Was much better than I was expecting. Definitely different and not an everyday beer at all, but decent and interesting.

01-05-2012 03:37:10 | More by doughanson78
UCLABrewN84

3.43/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a slightly hazy orange brown with a 1 inch fizzy off-white head that settles to nothing. Small dots of lace drip back into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is slightly subdued overall but I am getting some smoked malt, smoked meat, and maple syrup aromas. Somewhat like bacon covered in maple syrup. Taste is of smoked wood, smoked pork, and mild maple flavors. The aftertaste has a smoky and woody quality to it. This beer has a slightly crisp mouthfeel but it's a bit thin and watery. Overall, this is a pretty good smoked beer that is not as bad as I was expecting it to be.

01-04-2012 04:00:33 | More by UCLABrewN84
Drinkerofales

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours literally the color of maple syrup, amber with lighter highlights, and a big, maple cream colored head. Gets murky and develops a lot of strange black particle sediment as it gets near the end of the bottle.

Smells really good, like what you want to wake up to every day. Maple syrup, smoked meats, and a campfire.

And then, where did it go? Taste is not like the smell, it's a lot less. Tastes of not quite roasted malts the flavor of stale toast, the end has the maple and bacon flavor, but it's so understated, and fleeting that it's almost not there.

Has medium carbonation and a medium heavy body, feels ok, but is definitely not easy drinking. Kind of tough to get through overall.

I loved the idea of this beer, and upon smelling it, I was really excited. Upon drinking it, I was really dissapointed. If it tasted like it smelled, all would be well in the world, but this really is tough to drink, even with it's lack of overall flavor.

DOA

01-03-2012 10:30:40 | More by Drinkerofales
TMoney2591

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

This is the first beer my friends and I enjoyed in the then-brand new 2012. It pours a partly cloudy sunrise amber topped by about a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose is a blast of sweet doughnut (powdered sugar, bread, frosting, the works...I think I even got some sprinkles in there...), with a vague touch of beech smoke in the very back. Delicious. The taste, though, goes decently awry, with the smoke coming closer to the audience (and now wearing a bit of an oak mask), the sweetness faded almost completely, the bread taking a larger role than before, and some mild maple syrup randomly inserting itself into conversations at the most awkward moments. The combination just doesn't come together as it did in the smell; instead, it leaves a strange, mildly objectionable taste in my mouth. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a sorta slick feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a laudable experiment, but one that falls short of true success. Now, if only I could make a candle from the aroma...

01-02-2012 23:48:58 | More by TMoney2591
evolmanny

01-01-2012 19:16:13 | More by evolmanny
Vdubb86

01-01-2012 16:31:20 | More by Vdubb86
Bobheed

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Light brown with a khaki head, a little thick

S: Great smells, getting some sweetness and a lot of smokiness

T: Smoke. It tastes like what I imagine a bonfire would. Decent for a straight up smoked beer, but the maple and bacon that the name of the beer would suggest just get lost in too much smoke.

M: Slight tingling carbonation and a little thin

Overall, this one was fun just to try it. Will I pay $11 to get another bottle? No. I really wish the flavor had more maple characteristics too, I got a tiny bit, but it was mostly just smoke

01-01-2012 07:35:04 | More by Bobheed
emdawg

2.5/5  rDev -11%

01-01-2012 05:42:13 | More by emdawg
zaphodchak

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%

A finger of white head, deep gold-amber body.

To quote my dad, it smells like walking into an IHOP. Super mapley-- I couldn't smell anything else even if it were there.

Lots of smoky-toasty lager in the front, more maple in the back. A lot more. Not overbearing though it does leave an aftertaste.

Kinda foamy and light.

Interesting and very breakfasty. The Voodoo maple bacon bar itself is superior and cheaper, but not beer. This is not a knockout, but it's unique. If nobody likes it at your next tasting, consider reducing into pancake syrup! I wish I had done that. From the malt bill and inclusion of applewood bacon, I was hoping for more.

12-31-2011 19:29:03 | More by zaphodchak

12-30-2011 21:23:42 | More by PthPndr
loren01

Oregon

2.03/5  rDev -27.8%

Picked this up at Portland Saturday market a while back. Was looking forward to drinking this for a while. I'm a big fan of both Rogue and Voodoo doughnuts.
A: Pours a hazy brownish red color, not much head and really no lacing either.
S: Very smokey, smells like bacon for sure but not picking up much maple just smoke
T: Slight sweetness followed by a big blast of smoke flavor. Still not picking up any maple.
M: Medium body, carbonation feels pretty good
O: I was really looking forward to trying this beer but I had a pretty tough time choking it down, Ive had way better beers for way less money.

12-30-2011 20:32:01 | More by loren01

Missouri

12-28-2011 15:55:18 | More by tripelhops
pmlondrigan

3.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Major kudos to my brother in law for gifting me 2 of these for x-mas. I knew this was certainly a polerizing beer going into it. Shared between myself, bro in law and a buddy. Looks rather attractive, a deep amber color, off white head, good tight carbonation. Man what an aroma, smells like a Tim Horton's maple frosted doughnut. Smokey, maple, vanilla, butterscotch. Really strong. I can see how some say there is an "ash tray" quality here, but hey it's a smoked beer. The taste is extremely smokey, with other flavors of maple, butterscotch, vanilla and well more smoke just like one or two clicks too much smole. I can't say I find this bad, I really believe Rogue accomplished what they were trying for here. I can also say I don't really get any bacon flavor. But as I said there is a disernable Tim Horton's maple glazed doughnut taste. Overall this was a really, really interesting beer. It has been sometime since I've had a beer so unique and for that I am greatful. Certainly could not drink a whole bottle to my dome, but a glass was a nice sipper.

12-28-2011 02:27:36 | More by pmlondrigan
TheSixthRing

4.23/5  rDev +50.5%

I've had this beer twice now, the first time cold, and now a 2nd time at slightly cooler than room temperature. Trust me when I say this beer is MUCH better when consumed at a warmer temperature.

Appearance - A dark, golden brown.

Smell - Beautiful smoked bacon. Sweet syrupy maple. This smell instantly takes me to a lumberjack breakfast table.

Taste - At cold to ice cold temperatures, I got almost nothing outside of a smoke flavor, not unlike Rogue's Smoke Ale. As the beer warmed, the flavors opened, first a hint of bacon, and as it arrived closer to room temp, the maple made it's debut. The 2nd time I tried this beer, I gave this only a brief cool down before opening (10 minutes in fridge), and the flavors were there in full force. A nice smokey applewood bacon flavor upfront, followed nicely on the tongue with a sweet maple which fades well into the aftertaste. Beautiful, complex malts which work their magic and somehow deliver on the promise of the label.

Mouthfeel - Considering the target, this is where the beer loses points. The beer is fairly thin, or at least thinner than one should expect for what this beer is presenting.

Overall - Had I reviewed this after my first experience, it would have been one of disappointment. Following up on my instincts and trying this beer at a warmer temperature brought out it's true nature. At $11-13 a bottle, the price is steep, but if it won't break your budget, it's certainly a beer I'd recommend trying. Gimmick beers don't usually work; this one does.

12-27-2011 21:39:44 | More by TheSixthRing
Microbrewtaster

Indiana

12-27-2011 20:51:03 | More by Microbrewtaster
mthomas84

12-27-2011 18:26:22 | More by mthomas84
Falcon91Wolvrn03

4.28/5  rDev +52.3%

Appearance – A dark amber color with a thin layer of gold along the top. A nice thick head that dissipates to a few small spots and a small ring around the glass.

Smell – A sweet maple smell which really smells a lot like a maple donut. There is also a light smoky smell, which reminds me of sizzling bacon. This is a great smelling beer!

Taste – The smokiness dominates the flavor and it’s a much stronger than expected compared to the smell. At first, I didn't like it since I was expecting something sweeter from the nose, but once I knew what to expect of the taste, I felt it was a quality smoked beer. It’s more of a woody smoke flavor than a bacon smoke flavor and is similar to many rauchbiers I've tried.

Mouthfeel – Medium body, medium carbonation; it felt right for the style.

Drinkability – Perhaps a bit too smokey to be super drinkable, but if you enjoy rauchbier you shouldn't be disappointed.

12-27-2011 04:36:01 | More by Falcon91Wolvrn03