Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)
3.58/5  rDev +28.3%

Appearance: hazy amber in color, pours 1 inch of thick off-white head that fades quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: maple, bacon, smokey, smoked malt, maple bar.

Taste: bacon, maple, smoked malt, hicory.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good carbonation, a bit astringent.

Overall: love the maple doughnut, love the bacon, just don't think they work very well together. This tastes like two good beers mixed to form something that is not greater than the sum of its parts.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

3.93/5  rDev +40.9%

A - Pours clear amber into my snifter with about two fingers of head and has minimal retention and lacing.

S - Smoked malts and maple/caramel sweetness. So yes smokey bacon and maple is what you get.

T - Smokey malts are awesome, the bacon concept really comes through, lots of smokey wood notes, caramel malts are present and a maple sweetness comes through as well.

M - Medium/light body, low carbonation.

O - For a unique smoked beer variation this was pretty awesome! I really didn't perceive myself caring for it, but it delivered exactly what it promised and it tasted good at the same time. For sure a love it or hate beer though...

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

2.4/5  rDev -14%

From a pink-enameled 750 ml brown bottle, abv. is listed as 7% on the import tag on the bottle. Pours out a hazed orange hue, with a couple of finger's width of spongy off-white head that retains to a thick cap.

Big whiff of maple and honey ham when the bottle is first uncapped. Hickory smoke on the nose, more of a ham character than bacon, sweet maple notes.

Woody mesquite character up front in the flavour, something of a curious honey glazed ham-like character in the middle, some mild leafy hops and smokey charred wood on the finish. A maple sweetness tends to coat the lips after a while. First impression was so-so but after several more sips there is no cohesion or harmony to it.

Lighter bodied mouthfeel, something of a slippery texture across the palate, mild carbonation.

Nothing about this experiment jives with me, except for the concept--the final result just doesn't work or deliver the goods, or at least not in a harmonious and palatable manner. Once again I was sucked into the hype, and the limited availability around these parts, and forked over far too much money for a big pink bottle of disappointment. On that front I'm not sure who is really to blame in this situation: Rogue for selling the lure of a seemingly enchanting prospect, or me for getting suckered in once again and buying into it. Chalk a point up for Rogue's marketing dep't....

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle shared with Alucard4. Thank god he was there to help with this or half the bottle would have went down the drain

Look: Dark orangish body with a 1/2 inch off white head and good retention

Smell: Copious amounts of smoked wood upfront which is very off putting. Hidden behind the smoked is some caramel and maple undertones

Taste: The taste is as unique as it gets. Upfront is a bunch of smoked wood with some light vanilla notes behind that. The beer finishes with definitely some bacon covered in maple syrup. Now this may all sound amazing but let me re-assure it's not. I can't even describe how for a lack of better words bad this was

Mouthfeel: Just under a medium body and a fair amount of carbonation

Overall: Having had the doughnut the beer is modeled after I can honestly say this nothing like the doughnut. This took me 45 minutes to suck down my 10oz pour and it maybe have been some of the worst 45 minutes of my life. I could not drink this again

1.4/5  rDev -49.8%

Thanks to Black13 for this. The 22oz pink bottle does not have a "bottled-on" date. Poured into a crystal, stemmed water glass.

Appearance- I fully expected this to be a lot darker. Porter-like is what I was expecting. But, instead, it is a caramel/reddish color. Light tan head the dissipates quickly. No lacing. 3/5

Smell- Sweet cola aroma from far away. Maple donut dominates with a imitation smoke flavor in the background. The smoke aroma, although small, is not pleasant after a minute. 2/5

Taste- Here is where the smoke takes over. Not in a good way. The sweet maple donut that was in the aroma is in the background this time. Shame. The smoke makes this a beer that is only interesting in very small doses. A little goes a long way. The after taste is atrocious and stays with you long than you wish it to. 1/5

Mouthfeel- Not a thin mouthfeel per se, but I think it would benefit from a little more feel. 2/5

Overall- A novelty of a beer for sure. That is about it. I would not recommend. I have had the maple bacon donut and liked it, but I think that is because it had actual bacon on it and not an imitation smoke flavoring that you buy at the grocery store drizzled on top. The label says it is brewed with bacon, and smoked malts, but it comes out as an imitation flavor. 1/5

1.13/5  rDev -59.5%

Graciously (or maliciously?) shared at Fluff at the last Jackie O's release, review from notes.

Pours very light in color; for whatever reason we all expected this to be much darker, and possibly clouded. Amber with a fickle head of soapy clear bubbles.

Ouch! Well, the aroma on this bottle is pure phenols. Band-Aid and solvent. No sweetness, no maple, no doughnut, no beer... something went terribly wrong here, and I think it is rancid meat or an overuse of smoked malt...

The flavor is equally disturbing. Bubble gum. Ash. More solvent-y phenols.

Dry mouthfeel. Utterly undrinkable.

Overall I am so happy that I got a free pour of this, as I originally wanted a bottle to myself. I feel so sorry though for all of those locals who had to buy this stuff by the case. This is one dozen donuts where the baker can keep the 13th...

4.75/5  rDev +70.3%

Got this as part of a trade with hoparoundnw2337.

A - Gogeous dark amber with a cloudy unfiltered look.

S - WOOOW!! So much aroma to this beer! Tons of sweet maple syrup and smokey bacon.

T - If you don't like the taste of maple syrup don't buy this beer. I for one love maple syrup and this beer tastes just like some smoked bacon dipped in awesome Oregon maple syrup. The sweet syrup flavor comes first with the smokey bacon coming in late and lasting forever.

M - Nothing special here. nice body to it, not to thin, not to thick. Good carbonation, making it very drinkable.

O - This beer is a very different spin on a beer style that for the most part is very plain. The range of flavors are incredible. I for one appreciate the creativeness it took to create this beer.

1.53/5  rDev -45.2%

My first review on BeerAdvocate.

I bought this for a Christmas White elephant gift. I later reclaimed it for myself.

Appearance: Golden in color looks very nice.

Smell: Smells of Smoke and Bacon not really great for a beer but it is a "Bacon" flavored beer so what did I expect.

Taste: The body is fine if a little sweet. The aftertaste is what makes this beer a drain poor. The aftertaste is like a slaughter house full of Bacon and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too noteworthy maybe slightly more thick than an average beer.

I'm pretty disappointed only my second drain poor ever. The first being a 12 pack of Durango Ice which cost me 1/3 the price of this bomber.

I'm not sure how Rogue let this out the door. I love their Hazelnut Brown but this definitely hurts their reputation.

Do yourself a Favor and pass on this and pick yourself up 2 Hazelnut Brown bombers with money to spare.

3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass:

A: Looks like an ale! Retention is medium, without much lacing or carbonation.

S: Smells like a maple doughnut with bacon sprinkles, smoked in an oven. Appetizing in general but something is amiss. I think the smoke overpowers the other appealing features.

T: Surprisingly bearable. Smoked bacon and maple. Sweet, and a touch tasty initially. But like the smell, something is amiss and I find myself not really enjoying after a few sips.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. Doesn't stand out as particularly interesting.

O: Rogue produces some outstanding beers but I wasn't a big fan of this one.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales