Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

3.01/5  rDev +7.5%

When you pop the cap you get a very smoky aroma and some bacon.

The mouthfeel is kind of thin which is a good thing because this could be overpowering.

It's a very good looking beer with a nice head.

The taste? It’s breakfast in a bottle. Not your British, French or Italian breakfast but straight out of the good old USA. Smokey maple bacon mixed with a doughnut, a maple bar, I think. It’s just so weird! Drinking doughnuts and bacon? Russell, our Lab, couldn’t get enough of my breath. Sometimes it was a glass in my face and other times it was a hairy muzzle.

After a while it got to be a little much for me. To clear my palate, I had to resort to a Stone Ruination. It did the job. Thank you, Stone.

When I ran this morning and broke a sweat I swear I smelled bacon. Dogs kept barking when I ran past their houses.

One of these creations was enough.

For a great smoked beer, try Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier or Marzen.

1.25/5  rDev -55.4%

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

I agree with Hornet2003. This is a Specialty Beer. Appearance is clear amber, great carbonation, has an outstanding odor, texture is pure bliss. Rogue again pulls off what most are too scared to try. Don't buy this if your expectations are not for a Maple-Bacon beer!!!! heeellloooo....Beer in the morning after a hang-over???? This is it...with scrambled eggs and salsa!!

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

3.34/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper color with a yellowish head.

SImply, the aroma is maple soaked burnt bacon! Sounds.. Odd, but I find it nice.

The taste is not much smoky, slightly maple-y, a weird sweetness marred with a bitterness. Not the highlight here.

Maybe medium bodied with a bit of creaminess.

Definitely a different, smells great but the taste is average.

Glad to try.

3.29/5  rDev +17.5%

I received this for Christmas from my loving wife. Rogue actually shipped this to New Jersey.

It has been sitting in my refrigerator gathering dust... until tonight! I have always put off this beer, waiting for being in the proper mindset. The mix of flavor is enticing and challenging.

As I open the bottle, I can't help but taking a few big whiffs of the aroma out of the top. I kept breathing it in as I poured the bottle. You can easily pick up the smoke, as well as the bacon presence that it provides. I get a bunch of maple. I also get some of the coffee in there. I really enjoyed all of the layers in this bouquet. I recommend this bottle for the aroma.

I don't recommend this for the flavor. As much as I love the smell, I am not a fan of the taste. I don't get how the beer turned out this way. It was like all the taste was what happened when all of the flavors hit a brick wall at 90 miles per hour. The smoke is fighting with all the other tastes in the beer.

This was a great experience. I like that I had this beer, and I will definitely save this bottle for display purposes. It is too bad that the flavor component was really missing.

4.27/5  rDev +52.5%

Appearance: Pours out a pale ale colour. Slight bubbly head. Quite clear.

Smell: First whiff: Unbelievable! Smells just like maple bacon frying on a sunday morning. There is a breadiness as well that lends to the doughnut part of the beer. Smoky.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma. Very much like a sunday morning breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes all in one drink! Huzah! Not much to speak of in terms of hop taste, but there is bitterness backed up by a malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: This is the only part of this beer I find lacking. It's too carbonated for a beer of such complex flavours. The flavour combination hits all the right places though and it is still enjoyable.

Overall: I can't quite understand why people rate this beer so low. It's called "Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale"...What do you expect it to taste like!? One might not agree with the flavours (a matter of personal taste), but Rogue accomplished precisely what they set out to do. It's a beer that tastes like a maple-bacon doughnut. Great job to the people of Rogue! Great conversation beer to share, especially in the big bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Appearance: hazy amber in color, pours 1 inch of thick off-white head that fades quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: maple, bacon, smokey, smoked malt, maple bar.

Taste: bacon, maple, smoked malt, hicory.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good carbonation, a bit astringent.

Overall: love the maple doughnut, love the bacon, just don't think they work very well together. This tastes like two good beers mixed to form something that is not greater than the sum of its parts.

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.92/5  rDev +40%

A - Pours clear amber into my snifter with about two fingers of head and has minimal retention and lacing.

S - Smoked malts and maple/caramel sweetness. So yes smokey bacon and maple is what you get.

T - Smokey malts are awesome, the bacon concept really comes through, lots of smokey wood notes, caramel malts are present and a maple sweetness comes through as well.

M - Medium/light body, low carbonation.

O - For a unique smoked beer variation this was pretty awesome! I really didn't perceive myself caring for it, but it delivered exactly what it promised and it tasted good at the same time. For sure a love it or hate beer though...

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.46/5  rDev -12.1%

From a pink-enameled 750 ml brown bottle, abv. is listed as 7% on the import tag on the bottle. Pours out a hazed orange hue, with a couple of finger's width of spongy off-white head that retains to a thick cap.

Big whiff of maple and honey ham when the bottle is first uncapped. Hickory smoke on the nose, more of a ham character than bacon, sweet maple notes.

Woody mesquite character up front in the flavour, something of a curious honey glazed ham-like character in the middle, some mild leafy hops and smokey charred wood on the finish. A maple sweetness tends to coat the lips after a while. First impression was so-so but after several more sips there is no cohesion or harmony to it.

Lighter bodied mouthfeel, something of a slippery texture across the palate, mild carbonation.

Nothing about this experiment jives with me, except for the concept--the final result just doesn't work or deliver the goods, or at least not in a harmonious and palatable manner. Once again I was sucked into the hype, and the limited availability around these parts, and forked over far too much money for a big pink bottle of disappointment. On that front I'm not sure who is really to blame in this situation: Rogue for selling the lure of a seemingly enchanting prospect, or me for getting suckered in once again and buying into it. Chalk a point up for Rogue's marketing dep't....

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales