Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

4.07/5  rDev +45.4%

A- Light brown with a pretty sizable light brown head, not much in the way of lacing

S- Strong maple syrup and smoked bacon aromas, only a little bit of malt comes through, smells like breakfast and easily the best part of the beer, unique

T- Smokiness comes through first, peaty and almost faintly chipotle, some moderate malt flavor and then the maple sweetness hits, not overly sweet though, some lingering bitterness, smoke and just a hint of bacon on the finish

M- Lightly carbonated, crisp and a little thin

O- Having been to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland I thought this beer achieved what it was going for. Definitely unique and worth trying if you are a fan of smoked beers and/or breakfast

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Pepto-pink capped 750 shared with a mate, poured into a mason jar.

A: Mostly clear dark golden honey (pretty much golden brown) with a quickly dissipating white head.

S: Smoke and maple sweetness. Easily the best part of the beer, the maple has a maple syrup-like scent, makes you think of breakfast around a campfire, though on the nose the smoke is more peaty...and while it is present and even prominent, the smoke is not overwhelming.

T: Beers falls apart here...the sweetness of the maple syrup is here, with a touch of honey as well, but it competes with the woody, earthy smoke and its just odd and off-putting. Reminds me a lot of a peaty, smoky scotch in its flavors, and I really only want to sip an ounce or so before I'm done. Its a bit oily at times, which combined with the smoke gives the impression of bacon...but its really just a hint.

MF: Thinner medium mouthfeel with a bit of dryness and lower carbonation.

O: Disappointed, though I wasn't riding the hype train with this one and semi-expected it to be a train wreck. A porter base, with more roasted malts, body, hints of chocolate and coffee, might have offset the ying-yang of the smoke and maple and united them in a pretty good beer. As it stands, there is no reason to try this.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.01/5  rDev +7.5%

When you pop the cap you get a very smoky aroma and some bacon.

The mouthfeel is kind of thin which is a good thing because this could be overpowering.

It's a very good looking beer with a nice head.

The taste? It’s breakfast in a bottle. Not your British, French or Italian breakfast but straight out of the good old USA. Smokey maple bacon mixed with a doughnut, a maple bar, I think. It’s just so weird! Drinking doughnuts and bacon? Russell, our Lab, couldn’t get enough of my breath. Sometimes it was a glass in my face and other times it was a hairy muzzle.

After a while it got to be a little much for me. To clear my palate, I had to resort to a Stone Ruination. It did the job. Thank you, Stone.

When I ran this morning and broke a sweat I swear I smelled bacon. Dogs kept barking when I ran past their houses.

One of these creations was enough.

For a great smoked beer, try Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier or Marzen.

1.25/5  rDev -55.4%

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

I agree with Hornet2003. This is a Specialty Beer. Appearance is clear amber, great carbonation, has an outstanding odor, texture is pure bliss. Rogue again pulls off what most are too scared to try. Don't buy this if your expectations are not for a Maple-Bacon beer!!!! heeellloooo....Beer in the morning after a hang-over???? This is it...with scrambled eggs and salsa!!

3.5/5  rDev +25%

4.25/5  rDev +51.8%

3.34/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper color with a yellowish head.

SImply, the aroma is maple soaked burnt bacon! Sounds.. Odd, but I find it nice.

The taste is not much smoky, slightly maple-y, a weird sweetness marred with a bitterness. Not the highlight here.

Maybe medium bodied with a bit of creaminess.

Definitely a different, smells great but the taste is average.

Glad to try.

3.29/5  rDev +17.5%

I received this for Christmas from my loving wife. Rogue actually shipped this to New Jersey.

It has been sitting in my refrigerator gathering dust... until tonight! I have always put off this beer, waiting for being in the proper mindset. The mix of flavor is enticing and challenging.

As I open the bottle, I can't help but taking a few big whiffs of the aroma out of the top. I kept breathing it in as I poured the bottle. You can easily pick up the smoke, as well as the bacon presence that it provides. I get a bunch of maple. I also get some of the coffee in there. I really enjoyed all of the layers in this bouquet. I recommend this bottle for the aroma.

I don't recommend this for the flavor. As much as I love the smell, I am not a fan of the taste. I don't get how the beer turned out this way. It was like all the taste was what happened when all of the flavors hit a brick wall at 90 miles per hour. The smoke is fighting with all the other tastes in the beer.

This was a great experience. I like that I had this beer, and I will definitely save this bottle for display purposes. It is too bad that the flavor component was really missing.

4.27/5  rDev +52.5%

Appearance: Pours out a pale ale colour. Slight bubbly head. Quite clear.

Smell: First whiff: Unbelievable! Smells just like maple bacon frying on a sunday morning. There is a breadiness as well that lends to the doughnut part of the beer. Smoky.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma. Very much like a sunday morning breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes all in one drink! Huzah! Not much to speak of in terms of hop taste, but there is bitterness backed up by a malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: This is the only part of this beer I find lacking. It's too carbonated for a beer of such complex flavours. The flavour combination hits all the right places though and it is still enjoyable.

Overall: I can't quite understand why people rate this beer so low. It's called "Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale"...What do you expect it to taste like!? One might not agree with the flavours (a matter of personal taste), but Rogue accomplished precisely what they set out to do. It's a beer that tastes like a maple-bacon doughnut. Great job to the people of Rogue! Great conversation beer to share, especially in the big bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%

Appearance: hazy amber in color, pours 1 inch of thick off-white head that fades quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: maple, bacon, smokey, smoked malt, maple bar.

Taste: bacon, maple, smoked malt, hicory.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good carbonation, a bit astringent.

Overall: love the maple doughnut, love the bacon, just don't think they work very well together. This tastes like two good beers mixed to form something that is not greater than the sum of its parts.

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.92/5  rDev +40%

A - Pours clear amber into my snifter with about two fingers of head and has minimal retention and lacing.

S - Smoked malts and maple/caramel sweetness. So yes smokey bacon and maple is what you get.

T - Smokey malts are awesome, the bacon concept really comes through, lots of smokey wood notes, caramel malts are present and a maple sweetness comes through as well.

M - Medium/light body, low carbonation.

O - For a unique smoked beer variation this was pretty awesome! I really didn't perceive myself caring for it, but it delivered exactly what it promised and it tasted good at the same time. For sure a love it or hate beer though...

3.5/5  rDev +25%