1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon AleVoodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale

poor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)
1.53/5  rDev -45.2%

My first review on BeerAdvocate.

I bought this for a Christmas White elephant gift. I later reclaimed it for myself.

Appearance: Golden in color looks very nice.

Smell: Smells of Smoke and Bacon not really great for a beer but it is a "Bacon" flavored beer so what did I expect.

Taste: The body is fine if a little sweet. The aftertaste is what makes this beer a drain poor. The aftertaste is like a slaughter house full of Bacon and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too noteworthy maybe slightly more thick than an average beer.

I'm pretty disappointed only my second drain poor ever. The first being a 12 pack of Durango Ice which cost me 1/3 the price of this bomber.

I'm not sure how Rogue let this out the door. I love their Hazelnut Brown but this definitely hurts their reputation.

Do yourself a Favor and pass on this and pick yourself up 2 Hazelnut Brown bombers with money to spare.

3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass:

A: Looks like an ale! Retention is medium, without much lacing or carbonation.

S: Smells like a maple doughnut with bacon sprinkles, smoked in an oven. Appetizing in general but something is amiss. I think the smoke overpowers the other appealing features.

T: Surprisingly bearable. Smoked bacon and maple. Sweet, and a touch tasty initially. But like the smell, something is amiss and I find myself not really enjoying after a few sips.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. Doesn't stand out as particularly interesting.

O: Rogue produces some outstanding beers but I wasn't a big fan of this one.

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

2.93/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Typical ale appearance with a clear light brown color. It has a rocky white had that has decent retention. Appears very still.

S: It smells exactly how it is described. Bacon, very sweet maple syrup, a smokey characteristic, and doughnuts. Very odd and not very appetizing to me. Too much sweet maple.

T: Toned down from the aroma. It is much better than the smell. The sweetness is muted and makes it more drinkable. The other smokey and bacon qualities are present. Not great, but not terrible.

M: Nothing spectacular when it comes to the feel. Pretty standard, light medium bodied, average carbonation, sort of watery.

O: This seemed sort of like a gimmick beer. I won't be picking this up again, but it doesn't really change my opinion of Rogue. Still one of my favorite breweries.

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Shared this bad boy with a couple of my best friends. It was... an experience. Got a little back story. Poured the first 3/4 of the bottle, smelled and tasted above average... however, all the darkness, smokiness, and bacon bits (yes, bacon bits in the beer) stayed on the bottle. We drank about 1/2 the bottle, we poured in the rest, and ruined it. So I'm gonna make a before (B) and after (A) final pour.

A - (B) Hazy brown, reminded me of a plain, fried doughnut. Nice finger/finger and a half of head. Lacy. (A) Dog vomit in a glass, bacon bits completed the image.

S - (B) Smells like maple syrup. No joke. Striaght maple fking syrup(A) Made me wanna pour it out. Wasn't too offensive, but was unappealing.

T - (B) Slighty smokey, bready doughnuttyness, maple syrup sweetness finishes it off, tasty. But where's the bacon? (A) Oh, there it is. Chunky greasiness and all. Slighty vomit inducing, tastes like drinking campfire concentrate.

M - (B) Decently smooth, drinkable. (A) Sticky, thick, grease feeling, clinging to the mouth like a facehugger from Alien. Get it off!

O - Unique attempt, decent beer if you avoid the final 1/4 bottle. Share it, for god's sake. You will want to. Trust me.

1.33/5  rDev -52.3%

Received a 22oz. bottle as a Christmas gift.

I have to admit that I was incredibly disapointed, I"m a big Rogue fan; and I've loved everything of theirs that I ever had--until now.

Somethings are better as an idea, than a reality, and this beer is one of them!

On the bright side, as is no surprise with a Rogue product; the quality of product and ingredients is high. Color, clairity and head retention were all great.

But, this was simply the right execution of the wrong idea. The maple was extremely dominant and it was sickningly sweet. Juxtaposed to a usual Rogue offering; where I'm looking for another one--I was seeking a tactful way to dump the remainder of my glass.

Got this beer as a present from an Oregon friend. Wanted to try it despite the mixed reviews regarding it.

Appearance: Reddish Amber with fine bubbles and creamy Caramel-colored head. Little lacing is left after the pour
Nose: Complex and natural bacon smell, strong but not overly agressive smoke smell (sweet smokiness). Delicious and potent maple syrup odor.
Taste: Multi-faceted smoke flavour that does not tire the palate. Woody, apple bacon flavour with a last after-taste. Slightly oaked and malty whisky flavor. Bitterness in the back of the tongue
Mouthfeel: Juicy, syrupy consistency that matches the style well.

Overall very impressed with this beer, I came in with lower expectations as to how good the beer might be. It would pair absolutely amazingly with a good pancake, eggs and bacon breakfast and a nice coffee. It has some filling unctuous qualities that make you want to eat with it, yet it does not fall heavily on the stomach. With reservation: it's not for everyone; not all will like the delicious yet somewhat odd pairing of bacon inside beer.

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

3.43/5  rDev +22.9%

Thanks to Andrew for bringing this back from the west coast!

Pours a clear amber honey color with a thin white head that eventually fades to a thin ring and a few bubbles. Looks pretty average.

The nose is pretty much what you would expect from the title. Maple and bacon. The smoked malt definitely makes you think there is some meat in here. However, there is a light metallic note on the back, kind of like steel shavings.

The flavor is a good mixture of smoked malt and maple sweetness. Nice wood notes, cherrywood and hickory. Much like the nose, this starts off pretty well, but the end lingers with a weird vegetal taste.

Mouthfeel is fairly smooth with light, tingly, carbonation. I think this beer would benefit from a heftier body, to complement the sweet and smokey flavors, but it's not too bad as is.

Overall, this beer has a few flaws, but in general it succeeds in bringing out some tasty maple and bacon flavors. I probably wouldn't pick this up again, but if Rogue reworked the recipe a bit I'd probably give it another try.

3.98/5  rDev +42.7%

Appearance. Pours a lightly hazy, deep orange-amber with a finger of thick looking, slightly amber-tinted head.

Smell. Okay, I recently had a maple bacon donut from Frost in Mill Creek, WA (it was delicious ...really!) and this is what it smelled like. I didn't even associate that recent delicacy with this beer until I got that smell again. Remarkable ...but as a beer, hmmm. Anyways, full marks for nailing the smell. I was skeptical before eating that donut as well, and it turned out to be life changing ;-)

Taste. Smoke and just a bit of caramel malts to begin with. Maple comes through in the middle followed by some real bacon and smoky wood that lingers in the mouth a while. Not bad, really.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body with below medium carbonation.

Overall. Well, for a novelty this wasn't half bad. I would drink it again for sure. Love the ugly pink 750 and it's graphics. Good choice to crack this one for brunch on a lazy day.

4.15/5  rDev +48.7%

I actually like this. I think it delivers what it promises. There are definite smokey bacon notes, strong hints of maple and a noticeable sweetness that reminds me of fresh Krispy Kremes.

Shocking orange colour with a nice white head. Smoked meat - i.e. bacon - in the nose, maple notes, and sweet, sweet malts. Dough, hints of vanilla.

Strong smoked malt flavour when cold, but as this warms, the maple bacon flavours dominate, with a light, doughy malt background. Forget hops - this is all malts.

Good mouthfeel, low carb. Great beer to finish the night with.

Side note - bottle says 30 degrees Lovibond, which would put it in the colour range of a porter...not sure how Rogue came up with that.

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%