Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)
3.33/5  rDev +19.4%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very cloudy orange amber color with almost no head at all beyond a thin layer of tan bubbles.

S: Aroma is almost humorous in its likeness; maple syrup, sausage, sweet maltiness, it’s a lot like a breakfast from Denny’s.

T/M: Carbonation is reasonably high and is the first thing that hits your mouth, much more bubbly than it looks. It’s a little tricky after that; smoky malts, more sausage and maple syrup, dry malt, a bit thin on the back of the tongue.

I was wholly anticipating a dark stout so it’s a little surprising, but based on the mediocre reviews I’ve read, it’s actually not that bad. Unfortunately, the “bacon” is a lot meatier, like sausage links would be, and I don’t get any of the “doughnut” beyond some pastry-like maltiness. This is largely a product of its marketing and it’s obvious the beer plays second fiddle to the concept, but it’s still drinkable. It’s not ideal, but it’s very, very clever. I think I would love to have one of these for breakfast.

TheBeerAlmanac.com

1.6/5  rDev -42.7%

This was a drain pour - I think they got the maple and bacon flavorings somewhat correct although far too overpowering. However, the base beer is underwhelming - it doesn't hold up or add anything to those flavors. This beer lacks body and complexity so about half way through a glass I was already bored and looking how to dispose of it.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

1031st Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
750 ML

2011 Release
Purchased from Bevmo, Chino Hills. $12.99

App- A falling dark orange/amber/red to a light orange/yellow on the bottom with a one finger very fast receding off white head with some tan tinge to it.

Smell- A very thick smoke note like a campfire with burnt bacon and a maple tinge to it. A bit stringent on the nose with some burnt plastic like an outboard motor firing up. However, with all those adjectives. I didnt find it offensive it was just kinda there.

Taste- Much of the flavor envelops from the smoked malts and a little of the Munich on the opening flavors. Following this is the maple extract notes and a touch of the bacon. I'll call it a tad bitter with maybe a touch of bubbly yeast. I will say it wasn't really as creamy as it needed to be to really make this work, but its not as horrible as some of the 1's or 1.5's some are dropping on this.

Mouth- A pretty light medium body with a fairly light-medium carbonation. It does leave a bit of smoky bacon char and wood notes. Less of the maple comes out residually.

Drink- I was very excited to try this one. I've seen many shows on Food network about the doughnut and one day I will try it. For now I will say that this needed to be more light a cream ale with some smoke, bacon and maple to really make this work. A tad more sweetness would have been nice as well. I probably wont have this one again, but it was worth a shot.

1.48/5  rDev -47%

750 mL bottle sent to me by ramnuts, shared with my tasting group in what was interpreted as a clear-cut gesture of my contempt for them.

A: Pours a hazy burnt orange that would be fairly nice, all things considered, with a little more milkiness and some more head. I tend to like cloudy beers of this shade.

S: It delivers exactly what you'd expect: some maple and enough smoke to border on hammy, bacon-like aromas. Mildly salty and woody. The effect was a little reminiscent of garbage that has been left in my apartment over a warm weekend: it smells like things that were once food that have been left to mingle and have started to turn.

T: Smoked wood that mimics bacon flavors. A touch of maple is found in the finish, but since this beer has been sitting around a while, I would guess that flavor is starting to fall off. Other than that, there is a mild caramel presence and basically nothing else. Not a lot going on.

M: No finish to the beer; it just trails off the palate.

O: I have a hard time understanding how this beer is 'average.' It's a pretty clear demonstration of a trainwreck and a fascinating exercise in disappointment. I wonder what compelled them to charge $11 for this and mandate a case minimum, but that it went into distribution so quickly is a hilarious testament to how badly their gambit misfired.

3.38/5  rDev +21.1%

A: Pours a light reddish brown with an ample off white head which recedes to a small pool
S: Smells of smoke, bacon, and maple syrup. very nice
T: Tastes of smoke, a hint of bacon and just a wisp of maple. very smoke forward. Smoky bacony aftertaste with a kiss of maple. Kind of simple but not bad
M: full bodied with adequate carbonation, kind of slick when swallowing
O: Very different, I wish the maple and bacon was a bit more forward in the flavor. Pretty tasty though.

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Bottle generously shared by Arbitrator.

Hazy with a rust hue, little head formation. Smells like wood smoke and salty meat, cheap pancake syrup, caramel malt. The scent of smoke and bacon is pretty overpowering, and almost overshadows the maple. The palate is surprisingly bland, dominated by woodsmoke, bacon and a dry maple flavor. Body is oddly thin, finish is woody, smoky and unpleasantly salty. Not as horrid as I was expecting, but nowhere near good.

3.38/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL pink bottle,

A: Pours a medium red amber with a moderate fizzy white head, some lace, good head retention, looks like a Rogue beer.

S: Smells like maple bars and BBQ smoke, an intriguing mix which I quite liked.

T: Tastes a lot like American Amber, has that typical Rogue pacman yeast with crystal malt base. Some smoke for sure with a hint of sugar in the finish. Not bad tasting, but nowhere near the promise of the nose.

M: Fairly light-bodied, a thin mouthfeel overall. Has some carbonic feel, sweet in the end.

O: When I saw this at my local BevMo I had to pick it up because of its uniqueness. In the end it's really not big enough to carry all the components I expected. It does smell like maple and bacon and that's great, but I want the taste to deliver it. It's not a terrible beer, but it's greatly overpriced. I'd say maybe try this once for its uniqueness, but not something to try if you want a maple bar bacon explosion in your mouth.

4.13/5  rDev +48%

Big thanks to Ryan for sharing this! Poured into NB globe...

A- Dark murky orange color. No head, still, muddled. So far, not so good...

S- Damn, this is a smokey, maple syrup bomb! I like it, but I think my nose is getting diabetes from nose fucking this. So overpowering, I can't get much else. Really sweet, but very accurate to what they are going for.

T/M- I get a lot of donut in the flavor, mostly the finish. Reminds me of a maple cream stick I used to get as a kid. Bacon and smokiness is a nice complex supporter and held break up the sweetness. Tiny bitterness pokes its head right before the maple finish. Body could be more lively, as the carbonation lacks a bit, but overall its not bad.

O- Unlike most BAs, I found this awesome! I think Rogue did exactly what they said they would and though it was very sweet, it still rocked, IMO. I think this is my new favorite Rogue offering and would love another bottle to myself if anyone has to trade!

3.43/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into my tumbler and saw a great orange color, lots of bubbles that dissipated quickly. Great color when looking at it through a light.

S- Smells smokey and sweet at the same time, almost like candied bacon smells like. Maple syrup as well. But this smell is not a strong smell, its fairly weak but still very nice.

T- the taste comes on slightly weaker than i expected when i smelled it. But to me, that is a good thing because if the flavor was stronger i would never finish the entire bottle. The flavor starts with a matly sweet taste, that moves into a smoked bacon flavor that lingers on you pallet. Its a pretty good smoked beer in my opinion.

M- watery, and smooth. Not a exciting mouthfeel

O- This is a good unique smoked beer. It is a great novelty and something that you want to try just by seeing the bottle. I upped my original overall rating because of how easy it was to drink, considering the flavor and type of beer. Like i said, if this was a stronger more pork like beer, i would have rated it down.

This is something a craft beer fan should try. Its unique and wont drink something like this all the time. Rogue did a good job making a difficult beer, and i commend them. And hell if you dont like it at least you have an awesome bottle to keep right??

3.8/5  rDev +36.2%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium dark amber with a tint of maple brown syrup color. Slightly hazy. One finger off white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Maple syrup pretty big upfront. Smoked meat is also very present, and smells very good. Some touches of caramel coming through. Smells like an awesome pancake, smoked bacon and sausage, all drizzled in maple syrup, cooked over a campfire, breakfast.

T: Slight sweet caramel and maple upfront. Smokey bacon and ham flavors in the middle. Not a huge smokiness. The maple comes through a lot more in the finish.

M: Pretty thin. Verging on watery. Medium carbonation. Slight crispness.

O: They actually pulled this off a little. Was much better than I was expecting. Definitely different and not an everyday beer at all, but decent and interesting.

3.43/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a slightly hazy orange brown with a 1 inch fizzy off-white head that settles to nothing. Small dots of lace drip back into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is slightly subdued overall but I am getting some smoked malt, smoked meat, and maple syrup aromas. Somewhat like bacon covered in maple syrup. Taste is of smoked wood, smoked pork, and mild maple flavors. The aftertaste has a smoky and woody quality to it. This beer has a slightly crisp mouthfeel but it's a bit thin and watery. Overall, this is a pretty good smoked beer that is not as bad as I was expecting it to be.

3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours literally the color of maple syrup, amber with lighter highlights, and a big, maple cream colored head. Gets murky and develops a lot of strange black particle sediment as it gets near the end of the bottle.

Smells really good, like what you want to wake up to every day. Maple syrup, smoked meats, and a campfire.

And then, where did it go? Taste is not like the smell, it's a lot less. Tastes of not quite roasted malts the flavor of stale toast, the end has the maple and bacon flavor, but it's so understated, and fleeting that it's almost not there.

Has medium carbonation and a medium heavy body, feels ok, but is definitely not easy drinking. Kind of tough to get through overall.

I loved the idea of this beer, and upon smelling it, I was really excited. Upon drinking it, I was really dissapointed. If it tasted like it smelled, all would be well in the world, but this really is tough to drink, even with it's lack of overall flavor.

DOA

3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

This is the first beer my friends and I enjoyed in the then-brand new 2012. It pours a partly cloudy sunrise amber topped by about a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose is a blast of sweet doughnut (powdered sugar, bread, frosting, the works...I think I even got some sprinkles in there...), with a vague touch of beech smoke in the very back. Delicious. The taste, though, goes decently awry, with the smoke coming closer to the audience (and now wearing a bit of an oak mask), the sweetness faded almost completely, the bread taking a larger role than before, and some mild maple syrup randomly inserting itself into conversations at the most awkward moments. The combination just doesn't come together as it did in the smell; instead, it leaves a strange, mildly objectionable taste in my mouth. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a sorta slick feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a laudable experiment, but one that falls short of true success. Now, if only I could make a candle from the aroma...

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

2.9/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Light brown with a khaki head, a little thick

S: Great smells, getting some sweetness and a lot of smokiness

T: Smoke. It tastes like what I imagine a bonfire would. Decent for a straight up smoked beer, but the maple and bacon that the name of the beer would suggest just get lost in too much smoke.

M: Slight tingling carbonation and a little thin

Overall, this one was fun just to try it. Will I pay $11 to get another bottle? No. I really wish the flavor had more maple characteristics too, I got a tiny bit, but it was mostly just smoke

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

3.55/5  rDev +27.2%

A finger of white head, deep gold-amber body.

To quote my dad, it smells like walking into an IHOP. Super mapley-- I couldn't smell anything else even if it were there.

Lots of smoky-toasty lager in the front, more maple in the back. A lot more. Not overbearing though it does leave an aftertaste.

Kinda foamy and light.

Interesting and very breakfasty. The Voodoo maple bacon bar itself is superior and cheaper, but not beer. This is not a knockout, but it's unique. If nobody likes it at your next tasting, consider reducing into pancake syrup! I wish I had done that. From the malt bill and inclusion of applewood bacon, I was hoping for more.

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%