Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)
Mahlik

2.38/5  rDev -15.3%

22oz bomber from Rogue Public House in Portland

A - Pours a reddish copper with 1.5 finger head. Head retention was pretty solid. Decent lacing.

S - Smokiness dominates the aroma followed by the very sweet smell from the maple syrup. The sweet and smoky smells are a bit overbearing. There is almost a meatiness aroma from the bacon I guess. No hoppiness here.

T - Very heavy on the smokiness. Some sweetness from the maple syrup. Then some more smoke. That's about it. The flavors didn't really work for me. Not sure what I was expecting.

M - Medium carbonation and medium-light bodied. The viscosity is not right here. It needs to be thicker or more robust like a porter. I did not find this to be an easy beer to put down.

O - Not a fan of this beer. The taste was lacking depth. If you love copious amounts of smoke and maple sweetness mixed with nothing else, then you might love this beer. I know this beer is intended to be more of a novelty so I don't want to completely slam it. I usually enjoy Rogue's beers. But this is one instance where I would much rather have the doughnut than the beer. The bottle is pretty joyed out looking though.

11-18-2011 00:45:08 | More by Mahlik

Wisconsin

11-14-2011 07:25:43 | More by larsenju
Phelps

Arizona

Bottle shared by whiterascal, poured into a snifter.

Cider-brown, with just a touch of haze. A thin, silky off-white head fizzles away to a thin ring. Yeast chunks in the bottom.

Dear god, the glory of it. If I pass out, use this as smelling salts; I’ll be up in a flash. Smoked wood leads, followed by maple, savory bacon and sweet cotton candy. Sweetness reminds of donut glaze, like a maple bar. Turn down the smokiness just a touch, and this would be perfect.

The flavor’s a softer version of the aroma, but combines all the best parts. Smoke has been turned down, perfectly balanced with maple syrup and savory bacon/sausage. Get me some eggs, and this will be the perfect breakfast beer.

Medium-light body, with very soft carbonation. The clean finish shows off just a touch of bitterness.

Picture this scene: you’re young, and it’s summer. You wake up light, go downstairs, and find the parents have cooked breakfast. Bacon is sizzling on the stove, pancakes drizzled with syrup are waiting on the table. This is the beer that captures that moment. Plus, it’s phenomenal when paired with pigs in blankets.

11-14-2011 06:21:02 | More by Phelps
Duff27

3.83/5  rDev +36.3%

small white head on an amber body

Smells like pancakes! Maple syrup.

More pancakes. Slight smokiness. Very different, like nothing I've ever had before.

Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

"In small doses this stuff is fantastic." -TATURBO. Agreed. Wouldn't want anymore than a few ounces but did enjoy my portion of a bottle split 8 ways. I recommend the doing the same.

11-12-2011 01:40:05 | More by Duff27
orangesol

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to Capone's. Sampled from a sampler glass.

A - Pours murky amber orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving light lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of smoke, a bit of maple sweetness and not much else. I like it for what it is but I really don't get a lot of maple or doughnut. More like a slightly sweet smoked porter.

T - Starts off with plenty of smoke slowly giving way to a mix of sweetness and even more smoke and that is about it. The nose are decent but the taste was a big let down. The finish is just like the beginning, smoke and sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smokey, slightly sweet, feel that lingers through the finish.

O - Not bad but not great either. This is mostly just a glorified sweet smoked ale. If you have a good imagination you might like this one but just based off the beer it is just OK.

11-08-2011 18:41:45 | More by orangesol
Pintofbrown

Iowa

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%

This beer was poured from an incredible pink bottle with some Voodoo inspired art work. Nice. It was poured INTO a glass stein.

Appearance- It has three-fingers of toffee colored head that is extremely bubbly and soapy. The body is a modest orange-amber with tons of carbonation streams. The head retention is so-so and it certainly doesn't bother to leave behind any lace.

Smell- By far, the best smelling smoked beer I have had the pleasure of sniffing. If not one of the best beers in general I've ever put my nose to. The bacon fat was noticeable when I capped the bottle, and it certainly isn't going away any time soon.

My girlfriend said it "smells like breakfast". There is also loads of maple syrup, sugary sweet, and some wood smoke. Someone cooked bacon over a wood fire and drizzled maple syrup on top.That is my kind of breakfast.

Taste- It is good that this is classified as a smoked beer, because that is certainly what the expectation should be when you take the first sip. It starts with the smoked pork flavor and by mid drink you have the general wood smokiness.

The finish doesn't back off on the smoke, but does present a little malt sweetness that I guess you could say was syrupy, but I'm not really sensing maple syrup there. And again bacon grease is coming back once the drink is swallowed.

It tastes good if you are grading this as a smoked beer. Unfortunately, any kind of doughnut or maple quality is buried by the smoke and bacon flavors.

Mouth feel- This is the weakest aspect of the beer. It is entirely too light if there is supposed to be syrup and cake doughnut notes. It needs to be so much creamier, and bordering on full, and not bordering on medium bodied as is.

And with the strong smoke on the palate, it finishes a little more intense and dry than I would like.

Overall- Bottom line, it isn't the earth shattering bacon -doughnut beer that people hoped for, and I'm not sure whether I should be disappointed with Rogue or not. Because really, if you are a fan of smoked beer, there is absolutely no reason to track this one down, even if it is a one time drink.

On the nose, you have maple syrup drizzled bacon that jumps out of the glass. On the palate, you have bacon grease and smoke. A brewing company like Rogue certainly will not apologize for such a beer, and they have no reason to apologize to me.

11-04-2011 23:07:36 | More by Pintofbrown
ShanePB

3.4/5  rDev +21%

750 ml pepto pink bottle straight from the brewery. A collectors bottle, it's pretty awesome looking. Poured into two tulip glasses for purposes of a video review. Notes transcribed from the footage.

A: Clear copper/amber colored body with a decent white bubbly head that didn't stick around for too long. Really active carbonation, lots of bubbles clinging to the glass. A bit of lace and a thin retention ring is all that's left after the initial dissipation.

S: Wow, holy mother of all things that are applewood smoked bacon and maple syrup. Loads of sweet maple syrup and a smokey, meaty back end. In the middle, you honestly can smell a sugared doughy doughnut scent. It sort of smells like those deep fried, crystallized sugar covered doughnuts at the Chinese restaurants.

T: Now this is an interesting one. Starts off with sweet maple syrup that leads into a sugary plain doughnut. Let it settle on the palate after you swallow and tons of smoked bacon come through. It's smokey, meaty and salty but still retains some of that residual sugary flavor from the front of the palate. Complex, crazy, and strangely good. If you're trying to tell me this beer lacks flavor, please stop reviewing beers; your palate is terrible.

M: Bubbly, highly active carbonation but it doesn't ever feel thin or watery. Medium body not thick or sticky, just very easy drinking for a smoked beer.

This is insanity in a glass. And no doubt this will certainly be a polarizing beer. You absolutely need to be comfortable with smoked beers, sweet beers and have an open palate to appreciate all the complexities in this beer. I mean, what did you expect for a beer called "Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale" - it's exactly what it's made out to be. Rogue took a huge chance on this beer and I think it paid off, they achieved what they set out to do. In closing, split this damn bottle, you'll get tired of even 12 ounces of it.

11-01-2011 12:43:54 | More by ShanePB
bigfnjoe

4.08/5  rDev +45.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. Welp, here goes nothing

A- pours a very dark amber with a puffy, two finger offwhite head that quickly fades away. Lacing doesn't look too hot.

S- strong aroma of maple syrup, and I'm getting a little smoke in there too...it actually works out pretty nicely together

T- I'm drinking this expecting some sort of awful ashtray flavor that other reviewers have noted....and I'm not getting it. At all. Bottle variation, or Rogue bias? Regardless, what I AM getting is a slight hint of smoke in the finish, with some sweetness from the maple in the beginning. It's not really a powerful maple flavor, though...but it's there. And the smoke is fine, it's not anywhere near the level that people are claiming they're getting out of this.

M- medium bodied. Not much there

O- you know what? I really liked this. I think I'm going to order more. Thanks, Rogue

10-31-2011 23:40:07 | More by bigfnjoe
kscaldef

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

A: 1 finger head, doesn't last long. Deep copper.

S: smoky, a little sweet maple

T: Dominated by smoke, not really a bacon flavor. A little maple, but no appreciable sweetness.

M: Fairly light body, long smoky finish. Dry.

O: So, I see this beer has been classified here as a Smoked Beer. And, I would say that's entirely correct now that I've tasted it. I'd also say that it's not really what I expected. The beer didn't evoke bacon for me at all, and the maple was barely there. I don't know what the brewers were aiming for, so it's hard to know how to judge this. If the goal was a smoked beer, they did fairly well. If their goal was, as you might have naively expected, to bottle the flavor of a maple bacon bar, they failed.

10-29-2011 23:40:08 | More by kscaldef
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.43/5  rDev +22.1%

HuskyinPDX hooked this one up for the Boise PEEPS... Thanks a Ton Aaron!!

Shared with Inflatablechair, Buckeyeboy, and reinheitsgematt.

Pours like a typical amber.. decent head and lacing...

The nose is surprisingly good.. no shit.. the aroma is about perfect version of a liquefied VooDoo Maple Bacon Bar.. sweet maple.. lite smoke.. even a little salty.

Flavor is thin when compared to the aroma.. thankfully not as sweet but still plenty of smoke and showing a maple element.. dry ... sorta ashy with warmth... The smoke comes in layers that bloom with the sugary essence..

Body seems too light for a "donut beer".. , that is normal for these kinds of novelty bottles...

Ohhhh sooo Oddd... weird... Rogue is normally a company that I give few nods to, but this one is worthy of a novelty head tilt for sure. Way to do things interestingly .. otherwise, this is an expensive throwaway.

Rogue should make this one much more available in the PNW... the Traders could do some damage.

I would still buy one occasionally if I could... I would still want the Pink bottle though.

3/3.5/3.5/3/3.5

10-29-2011 07:20:31 | More by JohnGalt1
kevanb

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Finally got around to this experiment. I’ve had maple beers before, plenty of them. I’ve had Goose Island’s Maple Bacon stout and enjoyed it. But let’s face it, maple usually is an accompaniment to a darker heartier beer, and bacon would follow that mold, canceling out the darker heavier flavors. Here, we have both flavors in a lighter ale, a bold proposition. Given that this is classified as a “smoked beer” and a lighter ale, I was impressed with the nice full amber color and single finger of soft cloud like head. The aroma was quite stunning, sweet maple blasts the nose with salty bacon on the back, it’s a bit smokey which I like as well. It smells like breakfast and seriously smells incredible. The flavor though, is interesting, salty bacon, smokey and salty, its weird having a beverage thats so salty. It does have some chewy bread flavors that represent the doughnut. It doesn’t have a lot of maple flavors which I was wishing for, but it does have some sweetness which is nice to balance the salt. It’s not as thin as I was expecting based on other reviews but it’s not very heavy either.

Verdict: Worth the try for sure, quite the interesting experiment and I think it worked. This isn’t a world class beer or anything, but a really fun and interesting brew.

10-27-2011 03:12:46 | More by kevanb
mdhkc

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%

A friend and I split a bottle of this at a Rogue pub in Portland the other day.

While distinctly a gimmick beer, this does deliver true to its name. The smoked flavors come on very strong from start to finish, and the maple sweetness makes you wonder if you're even drinking beer at all. This is distinctly not a porter; with a light body and color. Overall, the smokeyness is well-done despite being a bit overstated (almost certainly on purposes to achieve the "bacon-y" flavor) and the maple sweetness has to fight a bit to shine through.

It's worth noting, however, that these are perhaps not the best flavor choices for anything outside of the gimmick beer realm: I'm glad I had the experience, but once was enough. If you have the opportunity, however, give it a try just so that you can say you did. And save the funky pink piggy-leafy bottle for posterity.

10-26-2011 03:55:26 | More by mdhkc
JayS2629

Alabama

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%

OK, first off...why is it assumed this was a porter? The bottle says "ale" and there are no dark malts in this beer. I think people are judging this beer based on expectations, and I have to blame Rogue for these expectations. When people see the word doughnut and maple they are most likely expecting a malty, syrupy beer.

A- Amber with a one finger white head that fades fast and leaves spotty lacing.

S- Amazing. Maple, cherry wood, hickory smoke and caramel.

T- Bitterness of hops peeks through. Lots of maple balances out with cherry wood smoke and hickory. Salty touch in finish as the beer warms. Clean malt lets smoke and maple shine.

M- Quite thin and unremarkable.

Overall, they did an ok job. Nothing phenominal. Neat gimmick misses the mark. Would be better with a porter body and more caramel malts for sweetness. The pacman yeast used ate all the sweetness away.

10-25-2011 17:51:31 | More by JayS2629
Ungertaker

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

I had a tasting pour of this from a very generous fellow BA at Darkness Day.

A- lighter than I expect from a porter

S- Great, sweet maple and faint hints of smoke.

T- To quote Ralph Wiggum after eating tomacco, "This tastes like grandma!" It tasted like eating a cigarette.

M- For the little bit I could stomach long enough to get the feel, it wasn't a bad texture.

O- Probably one of the worst smoked beers I have ever had. I like to keep my reviews positive, but this is almost impossible to draw anything good from. I hope the pink bottle is an indicator of some sort of gimmicky joke. Rogue's beers are usually not at the top of my list (although the Dirtoir Noir and the JohnJohn Ale were extremly good), but I haven't had any (other than this one) that I would not gladly drink if offered to me.

10-23-2011 19:27:24 | More by Ungertaker
yesferro

Mississippi

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%

Poured from a pepto colored bomber, thanks to a group effort of suffering Mississippians, 7 bottles made it to the Golden Triangle.

Pours a dark amber, tiny bit of head, nothing really special but o the smell, it's delicious, my stomach told me I needed some sweets as soon as I smelled it.
I liked the first sip a lot, carmelized maple glazed bacon? Sure thing! Not overly smokey but very very sweet without being sticky. Kind of a flat mouthfeel but great flavor. The more I drank of it the more malt flavor I got, this really tasted like what I imagine a bacon maple donut to taste like. If the mouthfeel had had something more to it, this would have been perfect.

10-23-2011 03:25:30 | More by yesferro
olympuszymurgus

1.85/5  rDev -34.2%

I couldn't stop laughing as the bottle was stroked by a man with epic hipster sideburns. That pink is...vibrant.

Pours a perfect amber. Wait, amber? I mean, it is pretty, but I was expecting a deep brown ale, not a transparent glass. Oh, and by glass I mean a 4oz taster.

The smell is amazing, maple candy and sugar. No depth, no smoke, just motherpumpingmaple. The taste is the same, but a hair of smoke in the background. So. fricken. sweet. Not as sweet as the hipster sideburns though.

I cant go on. I dump half the tasting glass in the grass and search for something to clean out my mouth.

10-22-2011 20:05:32 | More by olympuszymurgus
MusicaleMike

4.33/5  rDev +54.1%

Review #100: Purchased bottle online...should have bought more! Poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a beautiful light brown color with a decent, sticky 2 finger sized head. Good lacing on the glass and a nice level of beer clarity. Carbonation shines on through the light, caramel brown body. Perfect appearance for an American Brown Ale or a Smoked Beer.

The aroma was just delicious...really accentuated maple aroma, comes off sweet and malty. The smoked malts shine through a little bit in the background and really help to balance the flavors. Not much hop aroma at all, but that's fine with me, as hops would screw the whole aroma up.

The taste is like heaven's campfire! Really forward with the smoked flavor, and the maple takes more of a backseat. Notes of burnt sugar, overripe figs and honey all mingle together behind this extremely well-developed smoked beer veil. I am a huge fan of rauchbiers from Bamberg, Germany, and this really takes it to the next level, with multiple layers of smoke complexity. There is noticeable bacon and maple in the aftertaste and I think that I would want to try this beer with either some great applewood smoked bacon or a nice cigar.

The mouthfeel is good. It has a crisp and medium body, and the beer flavors are carried along by the active carbonation. This is not meant to be an overly heavy and full-bodied beer, so to those people out there complaining this beer is light for the style, you don't know what you are talking about.

Overall, I love this beer. I think because of the style, I couldn't drink much more than a half a bottle on my own, but this is an excellent food pairing item and I think that compared to other smoked beers out there, this one is at the top of its class! Keep in mind that the man who created this beer also created the most awarded American Smoked beer of all time, so to those BA's out there who hate smoked beer, or who just hate Rogue, lay off the haterade. This beer deserves a much better score than "mediocre."

10-20-2011 20:58:54 | More by MusicaleMike
Retail1LO

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

4 oz. pour from a bomber. Thanks to whomever gave this to Matt Capone as a gift as he promptly opened it and shared it with several of us. Pours a beautiful maple syrup hue with light carbonation. The smell is awesome. Loaded with maple syrup and bacon. Downhill from here. The taste just can't answer the bell. It's mad crazy smoky, but not in a good way. It's ashtray smoky. It's like, someone extinguished a cigarette on a McGriddle. It's just foul. The maple and bacon are replaced with rancid bacon grease. The mouthfeel is very bitter with slumbering taste of ashtray. Getting through even 4 oz of this is difficult. Recommend opening the bottle and pouring down the drain. Might be interesting to try in a pot of chili, howeever.

10-20-2011 18:11:19 | More by Retail1LO
sendsilk

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

I appreciate what Rogue was trying to accomplish in making this beer. Let's face it, what kind of beer geek like me does not want to try a hot pink bottle of something named Doughnut Maple Bacon?

A- Pretty bland actually, not real impressed with the look. Plain light amber color

S- Smells pretty good! Probably the best aspect of this beer. Definitely smokey, just a hint of sweet sugar/maple in the nose.

T- Wow, smoke followed by smoke. The finish is slightly maple flavored and sweet. If you like Raucbeer, this may be the beer for you.

M- Should be thicker IMO for a beer that is trying to reproduce a doughnut.

O- Worth trying but not something to go back to regularly. They could have nailed this beer if they had made it SWEETER with more prevalent maple flavor involved. A thicker mouthfeel with more sweetness at the end would have really brought this beer together.

10-17-2011 04:38:11 | More by sendsilk
byaeger

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

C avg (up from a D+ 2 reviews prior)? I think people are knocking down their scores because of some predisposition against Rogue. If the point is to make a beer that tastes like Voodoo’s infamous bacon maple bar, Rogue succeeds. Opens with whiffs of general smokiness and specific mapliness. First swallow is thick maple spread fleshed out with suckerpunch of bacon, but is, I suppose, OTT (over the top) due to ample amounts of not one, not two, but three types of smoked malt (cherrywood, beechwood, and hickory) with applewood smoked bacon rounding out the corners. Only with the aftertaste does the vanilla appear and alchemize that maple flavor into more of a powder sugary maple frosting befitting a doughnut.

The fact is, if you like the donuts, and you like crazy ass beers, this one achieves its objective. If you know you don’t like Rauchbiers or dessert beers, you should stay far, far away and refrain from reviewing, just like I’d never review a Helles, Kolsch, or even a straightforward Amber.

Between the small batch size, flashy pepto-pink bottle, and the fact that you're going to share this with at least a few others, it is easily worth the lucky $13 price tag.

10-17-2011 01:33:28 | More by byaeger
John_M

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%

The beer pours a rather typical amber orange color with fairly decent head retention and modest lacing. On the nose, this is where this beer really shines, and I have to give Rogue credit for what they've accomplished with this beer. There is a huge, smokey aroma, but there's also considerable maple and bacon as well. There's even a hint of salt on the nose as well, and I loved the combination of sweet maple, bacon and smoke in this beer. Unfortunately (I guess), very little of this comes through on the palate... there's a hint of smoke and maple, but otherwise this is a fairly bland, nothing special ale. There are no off flavors, and the beer certainly isn't repulsive... it's just kind of boring. Mouthfeel is fairly light and a bit thin, though it's also fairly smooth on the palate. Drinkability isn't too bad, though I can't really imagine drinking an entire bomber of this stuff.

An interesting beer, and one I'm happy I was able to try.

10-16-2011 17:41:02 | More by John_M
oneeyedziggy

South Carolina

2.78/5  rDev -1.1%

I think most of the other reviews have the technicals down even if the grades were a bit low so I'm going to discuss around them.

Overall it's worth experiencing once, especially if you're a fan of smoked beers (a la Alaskan's porter) but I'm in the "where's the porter we were promised" camp. I'm glad it exists, but I was hoping for more of a lightly mesquite smoky salty sweet vanilla maple bacon milk stout type thing.

Toward the end there were ashy black bits of sediment of some sort, clumpier than the usual leftover bits of yeast. I also noticed the smokey taste had accumulated on my tongue to discourage me from continuing. I could also taste or smell smoke for hours after drinking this beer.

at $13 for a 22, the price was a bit high, but is to be expected, and and I think adds genuine value to the beer. It keeps this less than extraordinary beer from actually being tasted too often and giving both groups a bad name, it leaves this gorgeously bottled beer with a bit of mystery for the masses. I think it's very existence is a victory for everyone but pigs, and I invite all the more "out there" beers even if only a percent turn out as expected or better.

10-13-2011 19:14:47 | More by oneeyedziggy