Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)

2.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Picked this up at Portland Saturday market a while back. Was looking forward to drinking this for a while. I'm a big fan of both Rogue and Voodoo doughnuts.
A: Pours a hazy brownish red color, not much head and really no lacing either.
S: Very smokey, smells like bacon for sure but not picking up much maple just smoke
T: Slight sweetness followed by a big blast of smoke flavor. Still not picking up any maple.
M: Medium body, carbonation feels pretty good
O: I was really looking forward to trying this beer but I had a pretty tough time choking it down, Ive had way better beers for way less money.

3.5/5  rDev +25%

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

3.7/5  rDev +32.1%

Major kudos to my brother in law for gifting me 2 of these for x-mas. I knew this was certainly a polerizing beer going into it. Shared between myself, bro in law and a buddy. Looks rather attractive, a deep amber color, off white head, good tight carbonation. Man what an aroma, smells like a Tim Horton's maple frosted doughnut. Smokey, maple, vanilla, butterscotch. Really strong. I can see how some say there is an "ash tray" quality here, but hey it's a smoked beer. The taste is extremely smokey, with other flavors of maple, butterscotch, vanilla and well more smoke just like one or two clicks too much smole. I can't say I find this bad, I really believe Rogue accomplished what they were trying for here. I can also say I don't really get any bacon flavor. But as I said there is a disernable Tim Horton's maple glazed doughnut taste. Overall this was a really, really interesting beer. It has been sometime since I've had a beer so unique and for that I am greatful. Certainly could not drink a whole bottle to my dome, but a glass was a nice sipper.

4.23/5  rDev +51.1%

I've had this beer twice now, the first time cold, and now a 2nd time at slightly cooler than room temperature. Trust me when I say this beer is MUCH better when consumed at a warmer temperature.

Appearance - A dark, golden brown.

Smell - Beautiful smoked bacon. Sweet syrupy maple. This smell instantly takes me to a lumberjack breakfast table.

Taste - At cold to ice cold temperatures, I got almost nothing outside of a smoke flavor, not unlike Rogue's Smoke Ale. As the beer warmed, the flavors opened, first a hint of bacon, and as it arrived closer to room temp, the maple made it's debut. The 2nd time I tried this beer, I gave this only a brief cool down before opening (10 minutes in fridge), and the flavors were there in full force. A nice smokey applewood bacon flavor upfront, followed nicely on the tongue with a sweet maple which fades well into the aftertaste. Beautiful, complex malts which work their magic and somehow deliver on the promise of the label.

Mouthfeel - Considering the target, this is where the beer loses points. The beer is fairly thin, or at least thinner than one should expect for what this beer is presenting.

Overall - Had I reviewed this after my first experience, it would have been one of disappointment. Following up on my instincts and trying this beer at a warmer temperature brought out it's true nature. At $11-13 a bottle, the price is steep, but if it won't break your budget, it's certainly a beer I'd recommend trying. Gimmick beers don't usually work; this one does.

3.5/5  rDev +25%

4.28/5  rDev +52.9%

Appearance – A dark amber color with a thin layer of gold along the top. A nice thick head that dissipates to a few small spots and a small ring around the glass.

Smell – A sweet maple smell which really smells a lot like a maple donut. There is also a light smoky smell, which reminds me of sizzling bacon. This is a great smelling beer!

Taste – The smokiness dominates the flavor and it’s a much stronger than expected compared to the smell. At first, I didn't like it since I was expecting something sweeter from the nose, but once I knew what to expect of the taste, I felt it was a quality smoked beer. It’s more of a woody smoke flavor than a bacon smoke flavor and is similar to many rauchbiers I've tried.

Mouthfeel – Medium body, medium carbonation; it felt right for the style.

Drinkability – Perhaps a bit too smokey to be super drinkable, but if you enjoy rauchbier you shouldn't be disappointed.

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

3.1/5  rDev +10.7%

pours a golden color with a small off white head and spotty lacing

GREAT nose to it. exactly what i was looking for. nice smokey BACON with mild maple notes.

unfortunately after the nose this beer goes downhill, taste like a burnt bacon with way to much smoke. not finding much maple in there.

light bodied and low carbonation

overall i had much higher hopes for this, the burnt bacon and smoke overpower the pallet, but i am hoping that with age the smokiness will settle down and bring more flavors to it

Bomber strait from Voodoo Donuts, poured into my Delirium snifter, the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is a ruddy auburn with a nice off-white head.

Smell is at first sweet and sugary, with the phenolic smoke coming out as it warms.

Taste is astoundingly spot on, wow! I assumed this would be all gimmick, but Rogue really nailed the concept. It's got the candied sugar of a glazed donuts. The maple syrup is undeniable. And there is a bit of a meatiness representative of bacon, beyond the overtly smokiness of the malt. A little char, a little cherry, not bad. It gets overly phenolic, and has an extreme lack of focus, but generally, it's much better then I expected.

Mouthfeel is on the medium light side. Tough for me to gauge, as I'm not entirely sure of the strength, but I assume it's on the stronger side, in which case, the mouthfeel is notably non-sugary.

Drinkability is pretty good, it's a fairly enjoyable beer beyond the novelty factor, with the robust flavors not getting to much in the way, helped by the mouthfeel. The price and availability (not to mention the ridiculous distribution) mean it's one and done, unless VD pick this up as a permanent license...in which case I'd probably buy one anytime I bring out-of-town friend to VD as an enjoyable novelty.

4.03/5  rDev +43.9%

Great looking bottle! A definite eye catcher. Pours a slightly hazy brown ale with a finger of cream colored head. The smell is the show here! I am definitely getting the smokey bacon along with a healthy dose of campfire smoke, big maple syrup, possible glazed donut and a burnt match. Great stuff. There is the smokey bacon and also the sweetness mulling together. I could whiff this all day. The taste is interesting. Much more on the smokey side (ala the style) but there is also a background sweet taste and slight aftertaste of maple. This bottle works. Like the smell combo...smokey and sweet. Spicy swallow with a significant bite. A tad thin on the mouthfeel. Overall from viewing it in the store (knowing nothing about it) to the last sip this experience was a great time. I am not a huge fan of Rogue beers but I love the attempt on this. Not a world class beer by any means but a unique beer that should not be passed up...at least once. Paid $12.99 a bottle and I will say it was worth it.

3.93/5  rDev +40.4%

22oz bottle, 7% ABV, and a hideous shellacked candy-floss pink. Very Homer Simpson doughnut-esque, I suppose, with a weird graphic portraying a hog-crushing 'gentleman', against a background of my nation's national symbol. Ok, then. Like many before me, I spent a few days last summer drinking my way around Portland, and made pilgrimages to both hedonistic meccas. Bacon doughnuts were weird enough, so this must just be the logical extension, PDX-style.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden amber hue, with two regular customer fingers of dense frothy pale beige head, which leaves some Joshua tree lace around parts of the glass as it steadily and surely recedes. It smells, at first from a distance, of sweet, dark sugary maple syrup, which is quickly subsumed by a meaty smoky essence, lingering on edge between generic and full-on savoury breakfast pork product, with no other native aromas strong enough to poke through - I am strongly reminded of my last morning hangover cure visit to a US-based IHOP - and that meal even cost less than this bomber did on this side of the border.

Anyways, the taste is immediately more heavy on the smokiness, with both the succulent pork side and thick maple notes going swiftly AWOL, replaced by a relatively weak grainy, somewhat caramelized, and heretofore obscured malt. This sounds like a downer, but it pretty much works - I don't think I could have taken the tree sap sweetness in the nose as an equally pervasive component of the flavour. This is beer, not deep-fried pastry. I even sense a bit of weedy, earthy hops (mostly because you wouldn't find them it either of the titular ingredients).

The body is generally agreeable, with the bubbles doing nothing to really distinguish themselves, good or bad, the weight deftly kept in the medium-light range, and lacking smoothness only due to the pervasively acrid smoke. It finishes more malty that anything as yet, the salty smoke and muddled sweetness becoming even further marginalized.

Well, it is what it says it is. First I get maple. Then I get bacon (or thereabouts). Finally I get ale. What else is there? A big marketing schtick turned drinkable, if not freaky good (how you do that with this style eludes me) sooty amber ale. Man, do I want me some food cart nosh at this very moment...

2.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.33/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet.

A: Slightly hazy, medium amber color with less than one finger of diminishing parchment-tinted foam head. No lacing remains on the glass.

S: Wood-smoked grain is deep and intense, almost textural, lacking only a clear line of distinction where smoked malt ends and actual bacon begins. The smell is entirely dependent upon its smoked qualities for interest, but it is hard to imagine what other facets could be added to a smoked beer of normal strength.

T: Begins dry, with mild bready malt that is also caramelly, but lacking expected smoke qualities up front. Acidity is mild, with an appealing citric edge. Real smoke flavor seems out of step with that of the smell, not becoming defining on the palate until late--but delivering a volatile, sinus-filling vapor when it does arrive. Bitterness is mild in the finish, with resurgent bready malt relaxing the palate for the next sip.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, soft on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This smoked beer seems to be a descendant of Dead Guy or some other amber-colored beer that may (or may not) be a lager. The smell is redolent with extremeness, granting to all who experience it the right to boast of having tried beer that smells of bacon. The flavor is less convincing, tasting just too generic at first but coming around by the finish. Even more extreme than the smell is the packaging--worthy of a '5' in the eye-catching category.

2.8/5  rDev 0%

Thanks a ton for sharing, Brian!

A: Pours a slightly hazy burn amber color with a finger of off-white head that quickly faded into a thin film that left almost no lace.
S: Ultra sweet smelling. Maple dominates alongside notes of smoky and savor glazed bacon and sweet icing. This smells exactly like the description.
T: The flavors are way more muted than the nose. This beer is sweet but watery, and most of the flavors come through in the finish. I get hints of maple bacon, slight smoke, and lightly bitter hops in the aftertaste.
M: Very thin watery mouthfeel, low carbonation, and a light body.
O: Like drinking sugar water with a hint of smoke, and disappointing all around. This beer smells pretty good, but everything else (except the bottle) is a fail.

3.6/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear orange amber with wispy white head. Somewhat average looking.

S - Smoky bacon with maple on the side.

T - Sweet maple with a little grapefruit sourness to it. It is a little difficult to separate the aroma from the flavor seeing how strong the bacon smell is.

M - Average amount of carbonation. Consistency was a little too watery but doesn't detract too much.

O - Not a terrible smoked beer. Not sure if I would have it again since bacon and beer is an odd combination.

3.28/5  rDev +17.1%

Thanks to bbb099. Split w scottfrie and bbb099.

A: A hazy amber with barely any head. Absolutely nondescript.

S: Uh. Huh. Hmm. Odd. Overwhelmingly like smoked maple syrup. Light. Enticing. Holy crap I'm so intrigued.

T: Oh. There we go. Very... interesting. Good maple notes followed by the smoke and bacon. And that's about the end of good/weird, turns into bad/weird. The taste doesn't follow the nose all that well. I definitely give Rogue props for the novelty, but I dunno about this one. Good for what it's supposed to be, but not something I'll be drinking again.

M: A bit thin, and a lot of carb. Nondescript, but in a bad way.

O: Good for what it is, but damn. Also, props on the bottle.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales