Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)

sliverX, Dec 09, 2011

leprakhan, Dec 07, 2011

kjkinsey, Dec 05, 2011

tclapper, Dec 05, 2011

avaldivia, Dec 05, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -19.6%

Hooray for the tribute/collaboration beer! Microbrew heavyweights Rogue have unleashed a Smoked Beer in collaboration with Portlands Voodoo Donuts. Those in the know, they created the best donut ever: THE MAPLE BACON BAR. In an awesome marketing move, Rogue decided to imitate the famed donut in beer form. A challenging, if not at least interesting task.

Pours a honey yellow with some off white head. Pretty typical affair for your average Smoked Beer.

The smell alone achieves the goal of this beer. It smells lik e a freakin' donut! Huge notes of maple and dough. Those flavors alone dominate. There's extremely faint notes of smoke, but nothing really resembling solid malt aromas. It just smells like a fresh donut, which is cool, I guess. It lacks any real aroma notes of a Smoked Beer.

The flavor of this beer takes a 180 degree turn. Where the aroma lacked in anything smokey, or bacon-like, it dominates in the taste. Dry at first, but then your pallet turns to smoked, almost burnt malts. These flavors seem a bit flat. The flavors don't seem to last long and they lack any strength. It's here, then it's gone. What lingers is a flavor similar to a lager or hopped English Ale. At this point my girlfriend put down her glass.

"Interesting." She said. She works in the medical field, which means it's not good. "It's just not grooving with me."

At this point I'm wondering wear the bacon is. It's nowhere. There's a slight malty, hoppy, doughy finish, but not bacon. It's safe to say at this beer fails in the flavor department.

I've had Smoked Beers, Ports and some stouts that have no actual bacon in the brew yet have managed to emulated flavors and aromas of the sacred meat. Rogue actually put bacon in their beer and it seems to have gotten lost in the mix. Mega points for their interesting aromas. This is a beet that does not live up to its expectations. I've decided to stop trying to down this filth and I'm tossing it.

Epic Fail Time.

100floods, Dec 05, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -12.5%

I had this at the pre Jackie O's release tasting at fluff. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange color with a ring of white head.

Smell: Quite smokey, not sure how much of that comes from the bacon or not. Definitely picking up the sweetness from the maple syrup.

Taste: Think maple syrup poured into water and then smoked. Not a huge fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really weird beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it, but I wouldn't want more.

oline73, Dec 05, 2011

IpeeA, Dec 04, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -23.9%

750 ml. bottle poured into my stone tulip. BTW, this is the first pink bottle of beer I've ever seen. And artwork is pretty cool.

A: Clear copper color. The pour dropped a two finger head that faded to a thin collar. Nice lacing.

A: Smoke all the way. I get a little maple, kinda like super smoke bacon with a touch of maple syrup.

T: I typically like smoked brews, and I like maple brews. But I don't like this. The flavors dont mesh well together at all. It is less sweet then I thought it would be, and waaay more bitter then I thought it would be.

M: To thin. Over carbonated. Just not appealing.

O: A big fail. I was hoping for an ok beer here, but just got a mess of smoke and stale sausage maple flavor. Avoid.

Gtreid, Dec 04, 2011

PostVinyl, Dec 03, 2011

Desaparecido, Dec 02, 2011

lisomiso, Dec 01, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +39.3%

Thanks to Cory for sending me this beer. Wanted to try it ever since Rogue announced it since I have been to Voodoo and had the Bacon Maple Doughnut.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a small foamy head on top, white in color. Not much retention or lacing at all.

S: Tons going on here. Right away I get the maple syrup, its sweet and very strong. There is some bacon, a little bit of smoke, and a little bit of dough. Definitely reminds me of the doughnut.

T: Extremely sweet. There is some bready malt, some of the syrup shows up and a little bacon, but neither as much as the aroma. The smoke comes in really strong on the finish, almost like an aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation. Not oily, but it coats my mouth. Pretty easy drinking for a smoke beer though.

O: Pleasantly surprised, based off the reviews. Looking at the goal of the brewer, and having had the doughnut, I think it was as close as a beer could get. Now, would I drink this all the time? No, but would I give it another go, probably, but would make sure to at least split it with someone else again.

mdaschaf, Dec 01, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks? Jason...

Pours out of a bright pink bottle

Murky brownish orange. Nice white head. Looks okay but not great.
Smells like a campfire. Gross. This is not appealing in any way.
Tastes sweet and smokey this is a gross beer. Lots of weird flavours. Not pleased. High carbonation levels.
Not something i would have again

Urbancaver, Nov 30, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +31.4%

Small gathering at Cam's for goodies

A-orange/brown body with no head whatsoever

S-very Smokey with a little bit of maple. Very subtle maple

T-more like a maple smoke beer. No real donut sweetness to fall back on

M-medium body and smooth with a hint of smoke on the back end of the toungue.

O-not as bad as people think. It is what it is.

brew3crew, Nov 30, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +46.4%

A friend of mine showed me this bottle and I was so curious I scoured BA to find this treasure no matter what the rating.
It came it a trade with a great BA member and waited to share this with some friends at one of our bottle nights. I was expecting a darking color from this one but I don't know why. It was a maple syrup color with a thin light head poured into a snifter. The aroma of smoke and maple is immediate in this one. If you look at the list of ingredients you will understand why this has a smoky mouth feel; it is loaded with smoked malts. Sitting on the tongue the bacon and maple syrup come out and hit you as they go down the gullet. Overall this is a fun unique brew that is easy to drink, and have a interesting flavor. I think I would have rated it higher had it been a bit darker, but if you can get it DISFRUTA.

BeerHunter76, Nov 30, 2011