Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,665
3.87/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the pink 750Ml bottle into a Pint glass, very nice cloudy copper color with a 3 finger tan head. Aroma holds smoke, maple, bacon, malt and sugar. Taste was a slightly smoke/bacon flavor with only hints of maple now and then finishing with a smokey bitter on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel was pleasant with fair carbonation and a medium layer of flavor left on the middle of the tongue. Overall for a smoked beer it comes in at 100% of what it should be, I would like a little more maple but other than that it was worth a taste and I'm glad I found it. (568 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I write this having always said "everything is better with bacon." I found out today for the first time this is not true. Bottle is clearly a sales gimmick, though regardless quite eye catching. Having been a fan of most Rogue beers, and obviously bacon, I had to try it despite the dismal reviews.

Color of the pour is a nice hazy golden brown with a 1/2 inch head or so in a snifter glass. The smell is unquestionably and overpoweringly bacon. This was the first hint I had of the beer not being up to my expectations. The taste is a bit bitter, sweet, smokey bacon flavor that lingers. The aftertaste is solely smokey bacon. I'm glad I split the bottle because I had difficulty getting one glass down, much less the whole bottle. Disappointed from Rogue.

Improvements: I think toning just about everything down would benefit the beer. The bacon needs to be subtle rather than overpowering, as does the smoke. (913 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -56.2%

Served out of a glorious pink bottle.

At first, this did not appear to be an awful beer, decent head, a cream colored beige.
The smell was nothing too offensive, but not pleasant. The tastes is where it starts to go downhill. Have you ever eaten a Beggin' Strip. Well I have( too much backstory to tell) , and it tasted like they smashed a bunch of Beggin' Strips up in a blender, and added water. Utterly disgusting. The mouthfeel was like watery bacon, with a hint of maple. This is one of the first things that bacon has made taste worse. I wish I could rate the taste at 0 or .25
Horrible beer, total drainpour (615 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I honestly did not enjoy this beer. I understand it's a polarizing brew, but I think the overall rating speaks to it fairly well.

The odd thing is that a Bacon-Maple-Doughnut brew should, by all rights, be absolutely delicious. There's little doubt that Evil Twin or Mikeller would make a fantastic brew along these lines.

This one, however, was cloyingly sweet, and despite Rogue's focus on farming and organic ingredients, came across as medicinal and artificial. (467 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.2%

A: Reddish brown with a sticky head that dissipates to a film; lacing is okay

S: Wow, that smells smoky and sweet--like walking into a Denny's: so much maple syrup and bacon and bready, burnt malts and brown sugar; but overall this is just so sweet and smoky from the maple and bacon

T: Not nearly as sweet as I thought; while there is a bit of maple in the flavor, it's much more smokey bacon flavors; man, that' different and yet, unlike many, I like it

F: Pretty sticky mouth feel, which is appropriate for a maple bacon doughnut beer but a touch thin on the back end that really hinders what I want from this beer--it needs to be thicker and even stickier, especially on the finish

O: I didn't know what to expect here, but I was pleasantly surprised--so smokey in the taste and so sweet in the aroma; they were paying tribute to an iconic doughnut and though they didn't create an iconic beer, they created an interesting beer nonetheless; like I said earlier, unlike most, I really like this beer (1,006 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +16%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer itself is nowhere as glamorous as the illustrious pink bottle it comes in. Polluted by a heavy dosage of sediment, the already unclear brownish-yellowish beer becomes entirely murky, its colour entirely ambiguous. The additional fiber is good for the colon but hard on the eyes.

The aroma smells like an incense candle. Notes of singed, slowly burning wood and sweet maple transport me to a musty backroom that sells fake IDs and heavy metal t-shirts, not the butcher shop or the bakery. I don't mind the woody-maple smell, but I wouldn't eat the doughnut...

Although I have had the actual Voodoo Bacon Maple doughnut in Portland. There may be some superficial resemblance but the real thing is much tastier than this beer (which may have something to do with the fact that 'sugar' is not seen on the ingredients list). Open a bakery with this as your flagship product and you'd be out of business within a month.

The "doughnut" gimmick aside, however, this makes a more than respectable smoked beer. Indeed it should - cherrywood, beechwood and hickory smoked malts are all used. No wonder the flavour of wood is so strong. This tastes just like singed, smoking splints which, for my tastes, is lovely. The maple flavouring is a complimentary accenting.

It's hard to know whether Rogue intended to make a beer or a mokumentary. There's enough redeeming cherrywood, hickory and maple flavour to make finishing the bottle agreeable, but as far as any resemblance to the strangely, unexpectedly, somewhat grossly delicious Bacon Maple Doughnut, well, I'm not feeling it. I like this, but I'm not going to rate it highly... (1,636 characters)

Dear Beer Drinkers of the World,

(spoiler alert) - I did not read ANY reviews before buying this beer...

So... I bought this novelty beer after hearing that a Bacon/Doughnut beer existed... wow... was I ever surprised! Picked up the last bottle in the district... stuck it in the fridge for 2 days and got all the boys together to try it out. I’m not familiar with Rogue as a doughnut brand, but what I've read from other reviewers is that they are pretty special. So we cracked this beer yesterday (25’ weather) - the head looked gross, a bubbly vomit yellow bubbling from the bottle.. it smelled like maple.. and... the artificial bacon smell.. I poured a few glasses for all my friends, we raised our glasses for a cheers and each of us gulped it down. YUCK! We all had the same reaction right away. My final review of this beer is this: It tastes like if you licked a dirty greasy grill from your BBQ, took a swig of the cheapest beer... ate a piece of burned bacon, added a shot of fake maple flavoring while inhaling campfire smoke... pretty much sums up this beer. I would NOT recommend this to ANYONE! Keep beer, bacon and doughnuts separate. THE END! (1,165 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Definitely a different beer - I struggled through the first glass, but am now starting to enjoy it at the end of the bottle... ?! Heavily smoke-forward, there are definite maple and bacon notes - but overall a bit of a mess.

Pours a hazy light brown with yellowish tinges. Minimal head that disappears quickly. Aroma of smoked meat, with an industrially sweet maple backbone. The flavour starts sweet with a malt basis, albeit no "donut" that I can discern. This transitions rapidly into a smoky, smoky finish – almost overpowering.

A very different beer and glad to have tried it, although buying one bottle would have been enough! (637 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

A pretty rough beer. I, for the record, have had the bacon maple bar from Voodoo, and it is delicious. When you try to put it in beer form, it is terrible. The smell is off putting right from the start: a heavy smokiness with a hint of sweet. I read a review on here that says it tastes like dirty grill water, and that's about right. The overwhelming smoke flavor sticks, in a bad way. It stays in your mouth too. Thank god I had other beer in the fridge. I poured out a twelve dollar bottle of this stuff. The only decent thing is the appearance, with a nice thick head and good lacing. After that abandon ship. (613 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +38.3%

I poured this strange beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The thought of a greasy beer really worrying me. The beer was a light amber color with tan head that was thick and showing great lacing. Apple wood smoke and maple flavors oozing out of the glass really smelled good. I smoke with apple wood weekly so I know what I'm talking about. The taste was really quite startling. Smokey maplealy taste for sure. I got no bacon taste at all, yet my wife said she did. I liked the beer for a crazy taste experience. I would buy it again to change things up. (553 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

How exactly does one describe an abominatoin, sweet, smokey, salty, malty flavors that don't sit in to well on the palet or in the stomach. To each his own but this beer was not for me.
Poured- alright, decient head
Smelled- sweet and smokey
Taste-... undesireable (264 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +45%

Fresh cases of this arrived today in the store, so I picked up a bomber and poured it into a Founders pint glass.

A - Amber/deep orange with a beige head 2cm thick. Very clear and a nice looking beer. The head dissipates fairly quickly for a lower gravity beer.

S - This is where the beer truly shines. Heavy maple with a solid smoke. Reading the bottle, there is cherry malt, beech malt, and the applewood smoked bacon. There is a strong booze that hits you in the middle and then fades into the maple and smoke. This is the maple I wish I could infuse into my beers. Its like the pure maple candy from New Hampshire. The maple and a little smoke win out in the end.

T - The flavor is clearly dominated by the smoke. It leaves me wishing I had some good, slow smoked pork or brisket. The bottle suggests that this beer goes with pork or doughnuts. I am shocked at how well this beer goes with sweet foods. I would say you should try this with a doughnut (bacon or maple glazed if you can get your hands on it) and test the theory yourself. The booze is mild on the taste and the malts (Crystal and Munich) remain in the background aside from the smoke.

M - This beer really sticks around with you on the palate with a heavy residual sugar. The carbonation was also pretty high, so the flavors really opened up on the palate. There is a little bit of astringency in there as well that hides with the IBU (pretty sure its from the smoked malt, almost like a peat in scotch).

O - I wish I had tried this sooner. I was a bit afraid to try it because either you love it or you hate it, but I love it. It has a sweet finish and a lot of smoke. The bacon is in there too, but not too heavy. I say give it a try, but only if you like smoked beers.

4/17/2013 (1,757 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

It looks like a beer, nothing to indicate otherwise. It's a pale brown color. Kind of hazy, not clear. Looks rich. The head is a finger of fleeting bubbles. Almost no retention, but eventually you're left with a rich brown beer believe a white ring of small foamy bubbles.

The smell isn't awful as I'd been led to believe. It's strange for a beer, but it's not bad at all. It smells like a smokey maple donut. It almost smells sweet. I can't pick up anything pork-related, but the smoke scent can't be missed.

The flavor isn't there. I can almost pick up a bacon grease flavor, but I'm not sure. There's something there that's weird. Fairly malty early on, but finishes with all smoke and char. Only a slight maple flavor. That bacony greasy flavor lasts well into the finish which is not really appreciated.

It's a combination of ingredients that might taste better on a place than in a snifter. It's fairly sweet, very smokey, kind of greasy feeling, and all that grabs hold of your tongue and won't let go. That malts and maple aren't bad, but everything after that really doesn't work. That greasiness is not welcomed.

Overall, it just doesn't work in a glass for a beer. I've had sausage donuts where all these flavors worked, but as a drink, it's a check swing called for a strike. Just 15 more ounces to go. (1,318 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A brown pour from a pink bottle. Who says the eyes have no influence over appetite?

smell was sweet maple and some runny bacon. That's really about it. The aromas fluctuate between interesting and off-putting.

never had any Voodoo Donuts (lines were always too long), but I hope they don't taste like this. Not that the flavor is bad...just waaay too sweet and complicated. Doughy, maple, bacon, and several tons of sugar. Maybe salt? Lotta smoke.
This beer is almost, or maybe is, too complicated. the carbonation is thrown aside by the smoke and sugar gladiators, which is too bad. Something needs to signify the end to each gulp, instead it just whimpers away (665 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -61%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

It tasted like dirty bbq grill water. I expected big things because of the maple and bacon but didnt get either. I tried two different bottles and both tasted the same and neither were pleasant at all. Both had a bbq smell, but nowhere was the maple or bacon evident. In my opinion, a big miss on Rogue's part. (310 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - A hazy thick brown color that would only be appropriate to describe as maple syrupy in color. Tiny amounts of carbonatio are visible, keeping a equally tiny thin white head alive.

S - Holy Maple Smoke! Super smoky, like leaving the bacon on the pana little too long, but in a very good way. THe maple is such a perfect complement to the smokiness.

T - The taste emphasizes the bacon and the smoke, like a little too much liquid smoke in a burger. A swish at the end brings out some maple elements, but doesn't challenge the smokiness.

M&D&O - You're gonna have to like smoky beers to enjoy this, and from the forums I take it many didn't like the smoke. Maybe people had some preconceived notions. Regardless, I really enjoyed this beer. The flavors were great, and yes it was really smoky and that may have caught some off guard, but it won't if you go into the experience as a blank slate, ready to enjoy a beer for what it is. (939 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, copper color. 5/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of strong maple syrup, sugar, hint of bacon, hint of smoke, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of roasted malt. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. The syrup and bacon flavors combine to make a very strong and un[pleasant cloying sensation Does not seem to fit the style of a Smoked Beer, but I'm at a loss as to what category this might fall into (Herbed/Spiced Beer ?). Tastes of strong syrup, slight bacon, hint of sweet malt, sugar, a hint of smoke, and a hint of pale malt. (610 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a crystal clear dark amber color with brown hues throughout. A persistent off white head with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is complicated. Some caramel and hazelnut characters come out up front. Some maple and brown sugar smells as well. A almost plastic quality aroma comes out strongly that I guess is more of the bacon undertone. Some butter notes and a light pancake breakfast note that really questions my objectivity in the name. But hey that is what I get.

The taste is a mish-mash of flavors. Different notes coming in at different times that leaves the palate in chaos. No balance really. At the start the maple dominates up front and though dissipates through the taste, does linger into the finish. Butter and plastic notes come out next but I know that smoke can be misconstrued as plastic. A weird herbal hop note blends oddly with a more salty undertone that leaves a bizarre off wood note on the finish. Some minor esters and a light acrid finish.

The body is moderate but finishes sweet. Carbonation is a bit high which helps with the lingering sweetness but also provides a carbonic bite. Overall I think there is just too much going on. Seems more like a marketing stunt than a attempt at flavor. (1,231 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a perfect pint. I was excited about this when it first came out, but then forgot about it due to the shitty reviews. Then yesterday, I came across it while I was buying beer so I figured it was time.

2.0 A: Lightly hazed orange caramel color. Two fingers of frothy/foamy yellow-beige head is ugly as hell. Fortunately it doesn't last all that long. Some specks of lacing here and there. Truly an ugly brew.

1.5 S: This smells artificial from the get go. I'm immediately reminded of my homebrewing experiments with adding various nut extracts to beers I already had bottled. Despite plenty of effort, the nut extract always gave off an undesirable smell and taste, so I scrapped the idea and instead used real nuts (which was also about five hours more work) for my upcoming brew. While the real nut brew came out great, this one from Rogue did not. The maple is sickeningly artificial to the point that I can't even tell if the bacon is real from the overlap. The smells like a breakfast platter from a really shitty fast food place. The maple ruins what would be an otherwise pleasant smokiness. It's hard to find anything else underneath, but to be honest I didn't try much since I hate smelling this.

2.0 T: The taste sucks too, but it's still a bit better than the nose. "Pure maple flavoring" is again the culprit behind this travesty of a beer. I don't know what "maple flavoring" is, but it's nothing like maple syrup. I do enjoy the smokiness though. It itself partially redeems the beer. The caramel notes aren't bad either. But getting past the maple syrup flavor is far to difficult to even begin to speak anything truly positive about the beer.

2.25 M: Lighter medium body. Comes off as feeling overcarbonated even though it really isn't. It just has some of that explodes-in-your-mouth feel to it. Lacking creaminess. Not really up to par here either.

1.75 D: I bought this beer out of curiosity, which is a force too strong to fight (at least when it comes to beer), but I can assure myself this will be the last time I ever drink this. Cheers for the second half of the bottle. (2,109 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +59.4%

I know this is a divisive beer but it does what it wants, which is more thanmost beers do
A- nice semi dark amber, all beer is pretty too me, but I love the bottle art'
S - maple n slightly smoked malts
T- follows the nose very mapley minor smokey notes
M - super drinkable
O - no this isn't the best beer ive had but my god does it try to be special and it is different from anything ive ever drank I love it (409 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I heard this beer was bad. I have never once heard a good review of it. Yet I just. didn't. listen because I was so curious to try it. Well, let me tell you curiosity killed the cat. Don't make my mistake as has it been slightly worse it might have ruined beer for me altogether. Luckily this scarcely resembles beer.

A: fizzy and orange

S: smoke. That's it. A little meaty bacon smell beneath the smoke. I don't really get maple or donut.

T: Same as smell. Weird and smokey. Like drinking a camp fire.

M: fizzy at first, flat by the time you're half way through a 12-oz pour. (581 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a clear copper colour with an off white head that retains quite well. The bottle is very funky.

S - Aromas of sticky maple syrup and smokey bacon

T - Flavours up front of smokey bacon and burnt wood. No sign of any maple or doughnut flavours. Mellows after second sip.

M - Medium to full body and medium carbonation.

O - Enjoyed the smokeyness of this beer, but why call it maple and doughnut ? There really isn't much in there at all (472 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -43.5%

I bought this beer because I liked the appearance of the bottle. And who doesn' t like bacon and maple.
Poured from bottle.
Dark coloration.
Nice aromas of sweetness and bacon.
Smoky taste completely overwhelms all other flavors.
Very disappointed. (252 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon pours a hazy amber color with a small creamy head that leaves a few spots of lace on the glass as it fades.

The aroma smells like breakfast. Maple syrup and smokey bacon. A little bit of bread and vanilla is also present.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is smooth, creamy with light carbonation. The flavor is a lot like the aroma. Lots of smoke/bacon and maple. There's also some fruit notes, bread and vanilla at the end. Once gone the maple tends to linger on the palate.

This is a beer you want to share with a few people. I don't think I could drink a pint on my own. It's definitely different and reminds me of breakfast but the smoke and maple dominate each sip. It's a weird combination of flavor. (740 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -57.8%

Oh, the humanity! Over priced craft brewer teams up with hipster doughnut shop. What could possibly go wrong? I split this bottle with some friends last night, one of the group is a respected brewer. It was unanimous, this beer was terrible. A chemically aroma produced the bacon and maple scent. When I said that this beer tasted like dead hipster, I was immediately corrected, "it tastes like smoked dead hipster".

I truly do not see how this beer gets a score of average. It just reinforces my suspicion of grade inflation here on BA. Avoid this travesty. This beer is making me reconsider being a ticker. (609 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales