Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011)

3.75/5  rDev +34.4%

1.36/5  rDev -51.3%

I have had a Bacon Maple bar from the world famous Voodoo Doughnuts, and it was a glorious experience. So whence I saw the pink gleaming bottle from afar, it was calling my name and I and thought: "Voodoo doughnuts + Maple + Bacon + Beer = EPIC WIN"

A friend and I eagerly awaited a time when we could both partake of this brew. And When the time came... Lets just say we now have a new gold standard for the worst tasting beer of all time. Normally, even if a beer tastes bad, I will still finish it on principle, because it is beer. And wasting any form of beer is a sin. The exception to that rule is Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. Though it is a beautiful amber color, We had to pour the wretched concoction down the drain.

I am very saddened to have to write this review, as I love the other beverages Rouges Ales has to offer. But this is certainly not one of them.

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

3.88/5  rDev +39.1%

750mL pink bottle with no bottling date

look is a darkish brown with a small yellowish head. smell is the applewood bacon, smoked malt, and maple syrup flavoring. taste is a very vanilla ale with maple and bacon undertones. the smoked malt is very much in the background and there is no doughnut flavor to speak of.

better than its reputation, an interesting idea and well executed. worth trying without a doubt.

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

3.33/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a bright copper color with a foamy cream colored head that leaves just a bit of lace.

S- sweet maple syrup, smoked and greasy bacon and campfire smoke. It smells exactly as you would expect it to, given the beers description. It's like liquid pancakes and bacon

T- the sweetness of the maple syrup dominates up front, then gives way to straight up bacon. The greasy bacon is then followed by intense campfire smokiness in the finish that lasts on the palate long after the finish. The smokiness is a bit too much as I could only drink a few ounces

M- medium body with moderate fizzy carbonation, dry and smoky finish that lingers in the palate for what seems like forever

O- although this beer was hard to drink more than a few ounces, it tasted and smelled as I would expect from a bacon maple beer, and for that I had to give it a decent score. It was worth trying, but not something that I would revisit again

2.4/5  rDev -14%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy bright copper body with a lumpy beige yellowish head that is supported by strands of microbubbles.

S- There is a strong artificial maple flavoring aroma followed by a smoke note and some layers of smoke and bacon blend a bit with a plastic band-aid note growing as the beer opens.

T- The slightly meaty flavor of bacon note with some layers of smoke ending in more plastic band-aids. Then comes the artificial maple flavoring in full force and it lingers after the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has no alcohol heat and a gentle fizz but it can’t cut the artificial maple of the tongue.

O- The complex layer of flavor are all a bit offensive and the nice smoke notes are dominated by band-aids and artificial maple flavoring. It was a bit hard to get through this beer. I’m glad I got to try one bottle but one is enough.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

3.75/5  rDev +34.4%

3.89/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the pink 750Ml bottle into a Pint glass, very nice cloudy copper color with a 3 finger tan head. Aroma holds smoke, maple, bacon, malt and sugar. Taste was a slightly smoke/bacon flavor with only hints of maple now and then finishing with a smokey bitter on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel was pleasant with fair carbonation and a medium layer of flavor left on the middle of the tongue. Overall for a smoked beer it comes in at 100% of what it should be, I would like a little more maple but other than that it was worth a taste and I'm glad I found it.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

1.54/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I write this having always said "everything is better with bacon." I found out today for the first time this is not true. Bottle is clearly a sales gimmick, though regardless quite eye catching. Having been a fan of most Rogue beers, and obviously bacon, I had to try it despite the dismal reviews.

Color of the pour is a nice hazy golden brown with a 1/2 inch head or so in a snifter glass. The smell is unquestionably and overpoweringly bacon. This was the first hint I had of the beer not being up to my expectations. The taste is a bit bitter, sweet, smokey bacon flavor that lingers. The aftertaste is solely smokey bacon. I'm glad I split the bottle because I had difficulty getting one glass down, much less the whole bottle. Disappointed from Rogue.

Improvements: I think toning just about everything down would benefit the beer. The bacon needs to be subtle rather than overpowering, as does the smoke.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales