Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 410 | Hads: 1,663
3.16/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, copper color. 5/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of strong maple syrup, sugar, hint of bacon, hint of smoke, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of roasted malt. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. The syrup and bacon flavors combine to make a very strong and un[pleasant cloying sensation Does not seem to fit the style of a Smoked Beer, but I'm at a loss as to what category this might fall into (Herbed/Spiced Beer ?). Tastes of strong syrup, slight bacon, hint of sweet malt, sugar, a hint of smoke, and a hint of pale malt. (610 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a crystal clear dark amber color with brown hues throughout. A persistent off white head with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is complicated. Some caramel and hazelnut characters come out up front. Some maple and brown sugar smells as well. A almost plastic quality aroma comes out strongly that I guess is more of the bacon undertone. Some butter notes and a light pancake breakfast note that really questions my objectivity in the name. But hey that is what I get.

The taste is a mish-mash of flavors. Different notes coming in at different times that leaves the palate in chaos. No balance really. At the start the maple dominates up front and though dissipates through the taste, does linger into the finish. Butter and plastic notes come out next but I know that smoke can be misconstrued as plastic. A weird herbal hop note blends oddly with a more salty undertone that leaves a bizarre off wood note on the finish. Some minor esters and a light acrid finish.

The body is moderate but finishes sweet. Carbonation is a bit high which helps with the lingering sweetness but also provides a carbonic bite. Overall I think there is just too much going on. Seems more like a marketing stunt than a attempt at flavor. (1,231 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a perfect pint. I was excited about this when it first came out, but then forgot about it due to the shitty reviews. Then yesterday, I came across it while I was buying beer so I figured it was time.

2.0 A: Lightly hazed orange caramel color. Two fingers of frothy/foamy yellow-beige head is ugly as hell. Fortunately it doesn't last all that long. Some specks of lacing here and there. Truly an ugly brew.

1.5 S: This smells artificial from the get go. I'm immediately reminded of my homebrewing experiments with adding various nut extracts to beers I already had bottled. Despite plenty of effort, the nut extract always gave off an undesirable smell and taste, so I scrapped the idea and instead used real nuts (which was also about five hours more work) for my upcoming brew. While the real nut brew came out great, this one from Rogue did not. The maple is sickeningly artificial to the point that I can't even tell if the bacon is real from the overlap. The smells like a breakfast platter from a really shitty fast food place. The maple ruins what would be an otherwise pleasant smokiness. It's hard to find anything else underneath, but to be honest I didn't try much since I hate smelling this.

2.0 T: The taste sucks too, but it's still a bit better than the nose. "Pure maple flavoring" is again the culprit behind this travesty of a beer. I don't know what "maple flavoring" is, but it's nothing like maple syrup. I do enjoy the smokiness though. It itself partially redeems the beer. The caramel notes aren't bad either. But getting past the maple syrup flavor is far to difficult to even begin to speak anything truly positive about the beer.

2.25 M: Lighter medium body. Comes off as feeling overcarbonated even though it really isn't. It just has some of that explodes-in-your-mouth feel to it. Lacking creaminess. Not really up to par here either.

1.75 D: I bought this beer out of curiosity, which is a force too strong to fight (at least when it comes to beer), but I can assure myself this will be the last time I ever drink this. Cheers for the second half of the bottle. (2,109 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +59.4%

I know this is a divisive beer but it does what it wants, which is more thanmost beers do
A- nice semi dark amber, all beer is pretty too me, but I love the bottle art'
S - maple n slightly smoked malts
T- follows the nose very mapley minor smokey notes
M - super drinkable
O - no this isn't the best beer ive had but my god does it try to be special and it is different from anything ive ever drank I love it (409 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I heard this beer was bad. I have never once heard a good review of it. Yet I just. didn't. listen because I was so curious to try it. Well, let me tell you curiosity killed the cat. Don't make my mistake as has it been slightly worse it might have ruined beer for me altogether. Luckily this scarcely resembles beer.

A: fizzy and orange

S: smoke. That's it. A little meaty bacon smell beneath the smoke. I don't really get maple or donut.

T: Same as smell. Weird and smokey. Like drinking a camp fire.

M: fizzy at first, flat by the time you're half way through a 12-oz pour. (581 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a clear copper colour with an off white head that retains quite well. The bottle is very funky.

S - Aromas of sticky maple syrup and smokey bacon

T - Flavours up front of smokey bacon and burnt wood. No sign of any maple or doughnut flavours. Mellows after second sip.

M - Medium to full body and medium carbonation.

O - Enjoyed the smokeyness of this beer, but why call it maple and doughnut ? There really isn't much in there at all (472 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -43.5%

I bought this beer because I liked the appearance of the bottle. And who doesn' t like bacon and maple.
Poured from bottle.
Dark coloration.
Nice aromas of sweetness and bacon.
Smoky taste completely overwhelms all other flavors.
Very disappointed. (252 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon pours a hazy amber color with a small creamy head that leaves a few spots of lace on the glass as it fades.

The aroma smells like breakfast. Maple syrup and smokey bacon. A little bit of bread and vanilla is also present.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is smooth, creamy with light carbonation. The flavor is a lot like the aroma. Lots of smoke/bacon and maple. There's also some fruit notes, bread and vanilla at the end. Once gone the maple tends to linger on the palate.

This is a beer you want to share with a few people. I don't think I could drink a pint on my own. It's definitely different and reminds me of breakfast but the smoke and maple dominate each sip. It's a weird combination of flavor. (740 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -57.8%

Oh, the humanity! Over priced craft brewer teams up with hipster doughnut shop. What could possibly go wrong? I split this bottle with some friends last night, one of the group is a respected brewer. It was unanimous, this beer was terrible. A chemically aroma produced the bacon and maple scent. When I said that this beer tasted like dead hipster, I was immediately corrected, "it tastes like smoked dead hipster".

I truly do not see how this beer gets a score of average. It just reinforces my suspicion of grade inflation here on BA. Avoid this travesty. This beer is making me reconsider being a ticker. (609 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -23.3%

Served from 750mL great-looking pink bottle. Had this with a bacon cheeseburger, so it seemed like a great match.

A- Typical brown ale color (brown), lots of carbonation but little head retention. Maybe a little lighter in color than I might have expected.

S- My favorite part of this beer; lots of maple, with very slight hint of smoke (which reminded me of bacon). I was optimistic from the smell. Had a bite of my burger and the two were working together.

T- Smoke. And carbonation. The maple seems to have disappeared now. All I get is a very light, very carbonated brown ale with massive amounts of smoke; so much smoke that it lingers for several minutes after I stop drinking.

M- Very light body, vary carbonated.

O- I dropped $14.00 (Michigan prices, so it's probably cheaper elsewhere) but didn't end up finishing it. Drank less than half the bottle. Switched to a Founders Backwoods Bastard, which gave me a better match for my bacon cheeseburger. A little disappointed in Rogue - a well respected brewery - for this beer, but everybody misses once in a while. (1,080 characters)

wasn't sure what i was getting into here, but that was the exciting aspect.

A: nothing unusual here, caramel color
S: SMOKE. bacon. some maple.
T: very heavy on the smoke up front. melted into a bacony flavor, with some unexpectedly minor maple sweetness.
M: decent.
O: this thing was a smoke bomb. I think they hit their mark with this, but it was definitely smokey and baconey. worth a try for the curious as it is unique, but i didn't finish my pint let alone the bottle. (478 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -10.5%

This beer is a dark copper color with hints of brown hues and is mildly hazy, and there’s plenty of carbonation. The head is very thick, slowly thins out and remains about a finger thick when settled, its very fluffy and silky looking. There’s a thin wall of lacing, but the beer still looks very inviting. The aroma is pure maple syrup, I wish I could be more elaborate on this, but that’s all my little nose can detect. It light bodied and mildly crisp. At first, all I could taste was maple syrup, but after a few more sips, a sweet flavor, other than maple, dominates the taste buds. Mild hops and a slight brown sugar taste come through as well, the aftertaste is a bit tart and you can’t taste the alcohol in it. Over all, this is a strange brew, not disgusting, just different. (792 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

A: Dark orange, copper with a nice head that dissipates fast. Only thing on this that might make you think it's beer.

S: smoky and sweet, and then greasy. If you don't know what you're smelling you'd bet its a dirty old restaurant's kitchen right after frying a ton of bacon. Fatty bacon.

T: not sure, I can smell it again but won't drink a second sip. Grease, maybe, and not clean one.

M: disgusting. Feels like drinking bacon fat. I had a single sip a few min ago and still can feel it in my mouth.

O: thankfully I had no great hopes for this thing. The bottle is cool and will stay in the collection. Sorry, not much good to say. (636 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

A - Good. Dark. Actually looks like it will taste good.

S - Smells like grease.

T - This beer is like drinking semi-warm bacon grease. Gross :(

M - Grease. Gross film in mouth after consumption. Everything eaten within the next hour sucks because of this. Grease!

Disappointed with Rogue. This beer is basically grease. Who would buy this? (343 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Vessel: Purchased in a 750 ml. bottle. Consumed from a large flared pilsner glass

Appearance: Dark brown with one finger of head

Smell: Strong sweet aroma of maple and some notes of smoky bacon… what did you expect?

Taste: Deep smoky flavor. The maple sweetness is definitely present and the bacon is noticeable but not intensely overpowering like I have experienced in some other bacon themed cocktails. It is definitely unique and very smoky.

Mouthfeel: It has some heft to it but it’s not as thick as the flavor would lead you to believe. I would call it medium/heavy bodied.

Overall: I’ll confess I could not finish the whole 750 ml. I should have waited to “experience” this beer with a friend. It is worth trying simply for the novelty of it but it is not my beer of choice. That being said I commend Rogue for making and distributing it.
Serving type: bottle (880 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +8%

Glass: Snifter

Appearance: Hazy dark red with a creamy white head and thick lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma: pretty much smoked bacon.

Taste: Smoked malts, bacon, a slightly sweet base, and then bacon again in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin and slightly oily with a rather active carbonation.

The taste and mouthfeel are very average I was expecting this ale to be more abrasive or have a better flavor but it just kind of fell in the middle. I made the mistake of drinking the whole 22 bomber to myself, by the time I was getting to the bottom of my glass all the appealing aspects of the flavor were fleeting. The further down the bottle I went the more rich and sickly the bacon flavor started tasting and mouthfeel seemed to get oilier. (751 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +16%

A - Hazy copper-orange with a finger of frothy white head. Fades normal.

S - Maple, caramel malts, Bacon, smoke, vanilla, sweet candied sugar, a bit of salt.

T - Maple candy, caramel malts, Bacon, salt, smoke, vanilla, some cookie like sweetness.

M - Medium-plus bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and a bit thick with a sweet and smokey finish.

D - Quite a bit out there. There is some things that do work in this beer, like the maple, but the balance is not there. (476 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I read quite a few reviews of this beer that were less than favorable, but I was just too intrigued. I kept an eye out for this brew, but could not find it anywhere. I was in East St Louis at a liquor store my wife recommended and there was a lone bottle sitting on the shelf. I figured that was the definition of fate and purchased the bottle without hesitation.

The nose was all maple, not rich maple syrup, but more sweet like the smell of an actual maple donut. The second this brew hits your tongue the smokiness overwhelms the palate. This smoke rolls into a definite note of bacon. The bacon flavor quickly washes away as a more distinct syrupy sweetness, more rich than the smell, finishes off. The smokiness rolls back, who knows from where, and sticks with you until the next sip. It is truly an amazing journey.

I usually am not a fan of disjointed flavor profiles such as this one. For a beer with many flavors, such as a stout, I really prefer when the flavors blend and roll over each other. They can be distinct, but not too distinct in my definition of greatness. However, this brew does such an amazing job of mixing distinct flavors that pair so well together that I just fell in love with it.

By the time I had finished about 1/3 of the glass, the rich flavors and smokiness were pretty overwhelming. I will admit the last half of the pint was a struggle. Needless to say my wife did not get very deep into her glass. My first thought was that I wish Rogue had tamed the smokiness a bit more, but on second thought, I was happy they went bold.

My recommendation, if you see the bright pink bottle, pick one up and find a time when you have 5 or 6 friends or relatives with you because a little bit goes a long way. (1,737 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle with half a dozen people as to minimize pain. Somehow I still ended up with a 6oz pour.

Appearance: A mild haze on a deep orange colored beer. Some copper leanings. The head is minimal and off-white, but disappears rather quickly. Some tiny bits of lacing. Just kind of sits there.

Smell: A big bright maple up front. Seriously sweet and pushes toward maple candy. Loads of smoked malt and bacon. So much greasy, overcooked, cold bacon. Greasy. Salty and sweet in a good way. Roasted malt compliment gives it a bit of depth. Salty bacon grease and bacon fat. It smells like the pan. Smells like the donut. They nailed this part, although in liquid form it's not quite as desirable.

Taste: Eat an old, cold piece of slightly undercooked bacon covered in maple syrup and you have the first taste of this beer. Successive sips produce a burnt, slightly acrid pork fat that feels like you left it on a bit too long. Maple is actually quite nice, offering a sweet counterpoint to the all out salty fat assault. Malt base is vaguely sweet, but is completely dominated by the smoky, greasy bacon. Smoky sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Carbonation is a bit low. Oily, smooth, slick. I wanted this to be a bit heavier, just a touch though.

Overall: Lord Bacon sits on his throne made of shame and maple.

This beer is not a tragedy. It's a dramedy. Some high points (salty sweet combo) and some serious low points (greasy, burnt piles of misused bacon). Too salty overall, but not the worst thing I've ever had, which is genuinely surprising. (1,583 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Review adapted from notes taken 12/31/12

Apologies to Bilco, Goblinmunkey7, and innocent bystanders that tasted this beer

Appearance: Slightly hazy but mostly clear, deep orange - off-white head, fades to a minimal cap and leaves a few streaks of lacing

Smell: Pork products and maple - somewhat appealing, really - salty bacon and ham grease - some maple syrup, but it smells mostly like an afterthought - smoky, roasty - might be some malty aromas, but they are overpowered by the salty pork fat

Taste: Flavor is spot-on for licking a cold slice of maple-glazed ham - this is something I would like in a sandwich, but not necessarily in liquid form - salt, bacon grease, ham - some hints of maple, but not much - some sweetness - as in the aroma, malt base is covered in an oily, greasy pig flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium body, smooth, lightly oily, lightly roasty - should be heavier to deal with the savory weirdness

Overall: Not exactly a pink nightmare, but could certainly be more charming

I wouldn't describe this beer as awful. The aroma was actually decent. I think this could have actually been good if the salty bacon grease flavor were dialed down significantly. I'm personally glad I had a chance to try this, and I'm also glad that I only had to drink about 5 ounces of it. (1,289 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -15.3%

Had such high hopes for this beer as I love everything bacon; everything until I tasted this. Rogue is known for this flosflorcent hops robustly flavoring their brews. This beer is on the opposite end of the spectrum. 30 on the IBU scale, it pours golden hazy in color. Not very hoppy, but then again thats not a bad thing. Yes you do get an initial hint of maple sweet somewhere along with first sip and corresponding ones and yes you do get a slight hint of that savory bacony flavor, but the overwhelmingly powerful taste is the smoke. On the way down your throat and lingering on your tastebuds there after is smoke. A veritable chimney on your palate.

I can sum this beer up by simply saying, "it tastes like drinking a chimney." (736 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Reddish copper, looks like an IPA...

Smells like hickory bacon.

Tastes weird. Tastes smoky but sour.

Smokey sour bacon flavor may be overpowering. This may have been a little better dialing back the smoked bacon and maybe throw in more hoppyness.

Perhaps this needs to be eaten with a doughnut - perhaps the sweetness will help... (334 characters)

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Strong aroma has notes of maple syrup and smoke - yes, a hint of bacon in there. A bit on the sweet side. Pours a beautiful clear copper with a fairly thick pale golden head that does not stick around too long. Flavor is - distinctive, to put it nicely. It’s like drinking liquid barbecue smoke with a side of pancakes. I get some malt and hop flavors, but not much. Texture is rather wan, some fizz but more like soda pop than beer. Nice try, but this brew is rather like the proverbial meatball sundae. (506 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -20.8%

I expected this beer to have a stronger maple flavor, but the smoky flavor overpowers everything. You do get used to it by the tenth sip, but I regret buying a second bottle for my cellar before actually trying it. I was also suprised that it wasn't darker, or stronger in alcohol content. (289 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -61.3%

Bottle poured into glass. Recently purchased and kept refrigerated.

First off, the stench of this is overwhelming. The smell of smoke and burnt grease clings to everything this beer touches. Even vapors of this beer made my stomach churn. Had to wash my beard and face out several times because bits of the smell lingered in my mustache and beard.

Poured nicely, not too much head, but not completely absent. The maple coloring was a nice touch.

The taste was revolting. The memory of its taste makes me slightly queasy still. Cloying smoke, overwhelming flavor of old bacon grease. It just tastes like old salty fat absent the texture of bacon itself. Combine that with a syrupy finish of maple and frosting, and you have what might be the single grossest beer to ever reach this height of popularity.

Don't remember the mouthfeel, I swallowed quickly and am not tempted to give it another sip. I poured it down the sink, which I quickly regretted because I then had to scrub it out to get rid of the smell. My recommendation, should you find yourself in similar circumstances, is to lock the cap back on the bottle, place it in the garbage, and then immediately remove the garbage from the premises so as to limit the spread of the smell in your house.

Wish there was some sort of constructive criticism I could give to Rogue, but I can't say I entirely understand how this got out of early experimentation. The very premise of the beer is ridiculous, and I imagine that most buyers are enamored with its novelty far more than the experience of actually drinking it. (1,575 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales