Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 434
2.77/5  rDev -1.1%

this is a great idea for a beer, but in my opinion all i could taste was burnt bacon, it smelled good, and sounded like it would be excellent, but after pouring into a glass and serving around 40 degrees, it was just a huge disappointment. good idea! but not good results

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

For some reason I was expecting a dark beer, instead I end up with a dark amber brew that shows a hazed, full amber hue with gold highlights when held up to the light. The head is an almost two-finger thick, pale tan color as it sits in my New Belgium Globe glass. The aroma smells of smoke up front that is quickly overcome by a sweet, sugary, maple note. Once you really start to look at the nose the smokiness never disappears and in fact has phenolic notes that suggest strongly of burnt / curing plastic; luckily this is not overwhelming, but it is definitely a problem I have noticed repeatedly from the Briess Cherrywood smoked malt. It is amazing how much this smells like a sugar laden, maple glazed doughnut; an extremely interesting aroma that definitely seems to have nailed the maple component, the bacon though just really isn’t present as the cherrywood smoked malt seems to be a consistently poor choice in the beers I have tried it in.

Despite smelling huge and sticky sweet, the beer is actually fairly dry. It has an almost tartness to it up front, but quickly picks up a smoky flavor that lingers in the palate and the finish has an ample maple like flavor lingering on along with the smokiness. The smoky flavors are quite as plastic like as it is in the nose, but there is a suggestion of plastic to the finish; otherwise it almost has an astringent woody edge to it. The maple character seems more in common with fake pancake syrup than real maple syrup, but it actually isn’t really all that bad though. There is not real bitterness to this beer, it gets its balance from the sharper smoke character. Somewhat light bodied and actually would be fairly quaffable if this was a regular beer.

Definitely an interesting beer, it wasn’t at all what I expected and did in fact nail the maple doughnut character pretty well. The bacon really doesn’t seem to be capture well though. Overall this was interesting, but not something I ever will feel the need to try again. A couple ounces is certainly enough; worth trying for the donut aspects at least.

1.42/5  rDev -49.3%

ugh- I don't even want to write a detailed review. Let's just say that gross beer makes me sad, but getting my hopes up with the promise of delicious bacon, then turning out like this, that's a sin. I have never had such a hard time finishing a beer. I expected a lot better from Rogue.

2.12/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Not even the geniuses at Rogue could make this flavor work.

Pours a nice amber with a thick white head and its all downhill from here.

Smells smoky to the point of being medicinal. There is some maple there but it is dominated by the smokiness. You can smell the maple too but it doesn't do much for it.

Tastes- The smokiness is overpowering and there is definitely some bacon but the maple was too weak to balance it out. So the two dominating flavors I got were salty bacon and medicinal smokiness which is about as pleasant as you would imagine.

Mouthfeel-Nothing special a little carbonation but it goes away quickly. The taste was kind of poor so I was more focused on that.

Overall- Not blaming Rogue because in retrospect this is a flavor that would be hard to pull off but it is a bad beer. The only reason you might want to try it would be to say you did.

3.4/5  rDev +21.4%

Tried half the bottle on it's own, which wasn't bad; However this was mainly used for beer floats during an episode of "The Walking Dead." The floats were awesome with Vanilla Bean.

I wouldn't purchase another bottle of Voodoo unless it was for floats, which it is very good with.

1.44/5  rDev -48.6%

I have had a Bacon Maple bar from the world famous Voodoo Doughnuts, and it was a glorious experience. So whence I saw the pink gleaming bottle from afar, it was calling my name and I and thought: "Voodoo doughnuts + Maple + Bacon + Beer = EPIC WIN"

A friend and I eagerly awaited a time when we could both partake of this brew. And When the time came... Lets just say we now have a new gold standard for the worst tasting beer of all time. Normally, even if a beer tastes bad, I will still finish it on principle, because it is beer. And wasting any form of beer is a sin. The exception to that rule is Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. Though it is a beautiful amber color, We had to pour the wretched concoction down the drain.

I am very saddened to have to write this review, as I love the other beverages Rouges Ales has to offer. But this is certainly not one of them.

3.87/5  rDev +38.2%

750mL pink bottle with no bottling date

look is a darkish brown with a small yellowish head. smell is the applewood bacon, smoked malt, and maple syrup flavoring. taste is a very vanilla ale with maple and bacon undertones. the smoked malt is very much in the background and there is no doughnut flavor to speak of.

better than its reputation, an interesting idea and well executed. worth trying without a doubt.

3.36/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a bright copper color with a foamy cream colored head that leaves just a bit of lace.

S- sweet maple syrup, smoked and greasy bacon and campfire smoke. It smells exactly as you would expect it to, given the beers description. It's like liquid pancakes and bacon

T- the sweetness of the maple syrup dominates up front, then gives way to straight up bacon. The greasy bacon is then followed by intense campfire smokiness in the finish that lasts on the palate long after the finish. The smokiness is a bit too much as I could only drink a few ounces

M- medium body with moderate fizzy carbonation, dry and smoky finish that lingers in the palate for what seems like forever

O- although this beer was hard to drink more than a few ounces, it tasted and smelled as I would expect from a bacon maple beer, and for that I had to give it a decent score. It was worth trying, but not something that I would revisit again

2.46/5  rDev -12.1%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy bright copper body with a lumpy beige yellowish head that is supported by strands of microbubbles.

S- There is a strong artificial maple flavoring aroma followed by a smoke note and some layers of smoke and bacon blend a bit with a plastic band-aid note growing as the beer opens.

T- The slightly meaty flavor of bacon note with some layers of smoke ending in more plastic band-aids. Then comes the artificial maple flavoring in full force and it lingers after the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has no alcohol heat and a gentle fizz but it can’t cut the artificial maple of the tongue.

O- The complex layer of flavor are all a bit offensive and the nice smoke notes are dominated by band-aids and artificial maple flavoring. It was a bit hard to get through this beer. I’m glad I got to try one bottle but one is enough.

3.87/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the pink 750Ml bottle into a Pint glass, very nice cloudy copper color with a 3 finger tan head. Aroma holds smoke, maple, bacon, malt and sugar. Taste was a slightly smoke/bacon flavor with only hints of maple now and then finishing with a smokey bitter on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel was pleasant with fair carbonation and a medium layer of flavor left on the middle of the tongue. Overall for a smoked beer it comes in at 100% of what it should be, I would like a little more maple but other than that it was worth a taste and I'm glad I found it.

1.59/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I write this having always said "everything is better with bacon." I found out today for the first time this is not true. Bottle is clearly a sales gimmick, though regardless quite eye catching. Having been a fan of most Rogue beers, and obviously bacon, I had to try it despite the dismal reviews.

Color of the pour is a nice hazy golden brown with a 1/2 inch head or so in a snifter glass. The smell is unquestionably and overpoweringly bacon. This was the first hint I had of the beer not being up to my expectations. The taste is a bit bitter, sweet, smokey bacon flavor that lingers. The aftertaste is solely smokey bacon. I'm glad I split the bottle because I had difficulty getting one glass down, much less the whole bottle. Disappointed from Rogue.

Improvements: I think toning just about everything down would benefit the beer. The bacon needs to be subtle rather than overpowering, as does the smoke.

1.37/5  rDev -51.1%

Served out of a glorious pink bottle.

At first, this did not appear to be an awful beer, decent head, a cream colored beige.
The smell was nothing too offensive, but not pleasant. The tastes is where it starts to go downhill. Have you ever eaten a Beggin' Strip. Well I have( too much backstory to tell) , and it tasted like they smashed a bunch of Beggin' Strips up in a blender, and added water. Utterly disgusting. The mouthfeel was like watery bacon, with a hint of maple. This is one of the first things that bacon has made taste worse. I wish I could rate the taste at 0 or .25
Horrible beer, total drainpour

3.92/5  rDev +40%

A: Reddish brown with a sticky head that dissipates to a film; lacing is okay

S: Wow, that smells smoky and sweet--like walking into a Denny's: so much maple syrup and bacon and bready, burnt malts and brown sugar; but overall this is just so sweet and smoky from the maple and bacon

T: Not nearly as sweet as I thought; while there is a bit of maple in the flavor, it's much more smokey bacon flavors; man, that' different and yet, unlike many, I like it

F: Pretty sticky mouth feel, which is appropriate for a maple bacon doughnut beer but a touch thin on the back end that really hinders what I want from this beer--it needs to be thicker and even stickier, especially on the finish

O: I didn't know what to expect here, but I was pleasantly surprised--so smokey in the taste and so sweet in the aroma; they were paying tribute to an iconic doughnut and though they didn't create an iconic beer, they created an interesting beer nonetheless; like I said earlier, unlike most, I really like this beer

3.63/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer itself is nowhere as glamorous as the illustrious pink bottle it comes in. Polluted by a heavy dosage of sediment, the already unclear brownish-yellowish beer becomes entirely murky, its colour entirely ambiguous. The additional fiber is good for the colon but hard on the eyes.

The aroma smells like an incense candle. Notes of singed, slowly burning wood and sweet maple transport me to a musty backroom that sells fake IDs and heavy metal t-shirts, not the butcher shop or the bakery. I don't mind the woody-maple smell, but I wouldn't eat the doughnut...

Although I have had the actual Voodoo Bacon Maple doughnut in Portland. There may be some superficial resemblance but the real thing is much tastier than this beer (which may have something to do with the fact that 'sugar' is not seen on the ingredients list). Open a bakery with this as your flagship product and you'd be out of business within a month.

The "doughnut" gimmick aside, however, this makes a more than respectable smoked beer. Indeed it should - cherrywood, beechwood and hickory smoked malts are all used. No wonder the flavour of wood is so strong. This tastes just like singed, smoking splints which, for my tastes, is lovely. The maple flavouring is a complimentary accenting.

It's hard to know whether Rogue intended to make a beer or a mokumentary. There's enough redeeming cherrywood, hickory and maple flavour to make finishing the bottle agreeable, but as far as any resemblance to the strangely, unexpectedly, somewhat grossly delicious Bacon Maple Doughnut, well, I'm not feeling it. I like this, but I'm not going to rate it highly...

Dear Beer Drinkers of the World,

(spoiler alert) - I did not read ANY reviews before buying this beer...

So... I bought this novelty beer after hearing that a Bacon/Doughnut beer existed... wow... was I ever surprised! Picked up the last bottle in the district... stuck it in the fridge for 2 days and got all the boys together to try it out. I’m not familiar with Rogue as a doughnut brand, but what I've read from other reviewers is that they are pretty special. So we cracked this beer yesterday (25’ weather) - the head looked gross, a bubbly vomit yellow bubbling from the bottle.. it smelled like maple.. and... the artificial bacon smell.. I poured a few glasses for all my friends, we raised our glasses for a cheers and each of us gulped it down. YUCK! We all had the same reaction right away. My final review of this beer is this: It tastes like if you licked a dirty greasy grill from your BBQ, took a swig of the cheapest beer... ate a piece of burned bacon, added a shot of fake maple flavoring while inhaling campfire smoke... pretty much sums up this beer. I would NOT recommend this to ANYONE! Keep beer, bacon and doughnuts separate. THE END!

3.34/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Definitely a different beer - I struggled through the first glass, but am now starting to enjoy it at the end of the bottle... ?! Heavily smoke-forward, there are definite maple and bacon notes - but overall a bit of a mess.

Pours a hazy light brown with yellowish tinges. Minimal head that disappears quickly. Aroma of smoked meat, with an industrially sweet maple backbone. The flavour starts sweet with a malt basis, albeit no "donut" that I can discern. This transitions rapidly into a smoky, smoky finish – almost overpowering.

A very different beer and glad to have tried it, although buying one bottle would have been enough!

1.39/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

A pretty rough beer. I, for the record, have had the bacon maple bar from Voodoo, and it is delicious. When you try to put it in beer form, it is terrible. The smell is off putting right from the start: a heavy smokiness with a hint of sweet. I read a review on here that says it tastes like dirty grill water, and that's about right. The overwhelming smoke flavor sticks, in a bad way. It stays in your mouth too. Thank god I had other beer in the fridge. I poured out a twelve dollar bottle of this stuff. The only decent thing is the appearance, with a nice thick head and good lacing. After that abandon ship.

4.33/5  rDev +54.6%

I poured this strange beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The thought of a greasy beer really worrying me. The beer was a light amber color with tan head that was thick and showing great lacing. Apple wood smoke and maple flavors oozing out of the glass really smelled good. I smoke with apple wood weekly so I know what I'm talking about. The taste was really quite startling. Smokey maplealy taste for sure. I got no bacon taste at all, yet my wife said she did. I liked the beer for a crazy taste experience. I would buy it again to change things up.

2.43/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

How exactly does one describe an abominatoin, sweet, smokey, salty, malty flavors that don't sit in to well on the palet or in the stomach. To each his own but this beer was not for me.
Poured- alright, decient head
Smelled- sweet and smokey
Taste-... undesireable

4.54/5  rDev +62.1%

Fresh cases of this arrived today in the store, so I picked up a bomber and poured it into a Founders pint glass.

A - Amber/deep orange with a beige head 2cm thick. Very clear and a nice looking beer. The head dissipates fairly quickly for a lower gravity beer.

S - This is where the beer truly shines. Heavy maple with a solid smoke. Reading the bottle, there is cherry malt, beech malt, and the applewood smoked bacon. There is a strong booze that hits you in the middle and then fades into the maple and smoke. This is the maple I wish I could infuse into my beers. Its like the pure maple candy from New Hampshire. The maple and a little smoke win out in the end.

T - The flavor is clearly dominated by the smoke. It leaves me wishing I had some good, slow smoked pork or brisket. The bottle suggests that this beer goes with pork or doughnuts. I am shocked at how well this beer goes with sweet foods. I would say you should try this with a doughnut (bacon or maple glazed if you can get your hands on it) and test the theory yourself. The booze is mild on the taste and the malts (Crystal and Munich) remain in the background aside from the smoke.

M - This beer really sticks around with you on the palate with a heavy residual sugar. The carbonation was also pretty high, so the flavors really opened up on the palate. There is a little bit of astringency in there as well that hides with the IBU (pretty sure its from the smoked malt, almost like a peat in scotch).

O - I wish I had tried this sooner. I was a bit afraid to try it because either you love it or you hate it, but I love it. It has a sweet finish and a lot of smoke. The bacon is in there too, but not too heavy. I say give it a try, but only if you like smoked beers.

4/17/2013

2.79/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

It looks like a beer, nothing to indicate otherwise. It's a pale brown color. Kind of hazy, not clear. Looks rich. The head is a finger of fleeting bubbles. Almost no retention, but eventually you're left with a rich brown beer believe a white ring of small foamy bubbles.

The smell isn't awful as I'd been led to believe. It's strange for a beer, but it's not bad at all. It smells like a smokey maple donut. It almost smells sweet. I can't pick up anything pork-related, but the smoke scent can't be missed.

The flavor isn't there. I can almost pick up a bacon grease flavor, but I'm not sure. There's something there that's weird. Fairly malty early on, but finishes with all smoke and char. Only a slight maple flavor. That bacony greasy flavor lasts well into the finish which is not really appreciated.

It's a combination of ingredients that might taste better on a place than in a snifter. It's fairly sweet, very smokey, kind of greasy feeling, and all that grabs hold of your tongue and won't let go. That malts and maple aren't bad, but everything after that really doesn't work. That greasiness is not welcomed.

Overall, it just doesn't work in a glass for a beer. I've had sausage donuts where all these flavors worked, but as a drink, it's a check swing called for a strike. Just 15 more ounces to go.

2.56/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A brown pour from a pink bottle. Who says the eyes have no influence over appetite?

smell was sweet maple and some runny bacon. That's really about it. The aromas fluctuate between interesting and off-putting.

never had any Voodoo Donuts (lines were always too long), but I hope they don't taste like this. Not that the flavor is bad...just waaay too sweet and complicated. Doughy, maple, bacon, and several tons of sugar. Maybe salt? Lotta smoke.
This beer is almost, or maybe is, too complicated. the carbonation is thrown aside by the smoke and sugar gladiators, which is too bad. Something needs to signify the end to each gulp, instead it just whimpers away

1.22/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

It tasted like dirty bbq grill water. I expected big things because of the maple and bacon but didnt get either. I tried two different bottles and both tasted the same and neither were pleasant at all. Both had a bbq smell, but nowhere was the maple or bacon evident. In my opinion, a big miss on Rogue's part.

3.92/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - A hazy thick brown color that would only be appropriate to describe as maple syrupy in color. Tiny amounts of carbonatio are visible, keeping a equally tiny thin white head alive.

S - Holy Maple Smoke! Super smoky, like leaving the bacon on the pana little too long, but in a very good way. THe maple is such a perfect complement to the smokiness.

T - The taste emphasizes the bacon and the smoke, like a little too much liquid smoke in a burger. A swish at the end brings out some maple elements, but doesn't challenge the smokiness.

M&D&O - You're gonna have to like smoky beers to enjoy this, and from the forums I take it many didn't like the smoke. Maybe people had some preconceived notions. Regardless, I really enjoyed this beer. The flavors were great, and yes it was really smoky and that may have caught some off guard, but it won't if you go into the experience as a blank slate, ready to enjoy a beer for what it is.

3.16/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, copper color. 5/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of strong maple syrup, sugar, hint of bacon, hint of smoke, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of roasted malt. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. The syrup and bacon flavors combine to make a very strong and un[pleasant cloying sensation Does not seem to fit the style of a Smoked Beer, but I'm at a loss as to what category this might fall into (Herbed/Spiced Beer ?). Tastes of strong syrup, slight bacon, hint of sweet malt, sugar, a hint of smoke, and a hint of pale malt.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales