Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,663
1.21/5  rDev -61.3%

Bottle poured into glass. Recently purchased and kept refrigerated.

First off, the stench of this is overwhelming. The smell of smoke and burnt grease clings to everything this beer touches. Even vapors of this beer made my stomach churn. Had to wash my beard and face out several times because bits of the smell lingered in my mustache and beard.

Poured nicely, not too much head, but not completely absent. The maple coloring was a nice touch.

The taste was revolting. The memory of its taste makes me slightly queasy still. Cloying smoke, overwhelming flavor of old bacon grease. It just tastes like old salty fat absent the texture of bacon itself. Combine that with a syrupy finish of maple and frosting, and you have what might be the single grossest beer to ever reach this height of popularity.

Don't remember the mouthfeel, I swallowed quickly and am not tempted to give it another sip. I poured it down the sink, which I quickly regretted because I then had to scrub it out to get rid of the smell. My recommendation, should you find yourself in similar circumstances, is to lock the cap back on the bottle, place it in the garbage, and then immediately remove the garbage from the premises so as to limit the spread of the smell in your house.

Wish there was some sort of constructive criticism I could give to Rogue, but I can't say I entirely understand how this got out of early experimentation. The very premise of the beer is ridiculous, and I imagine that most buyers are enamored with its novelty far more than the experience of actually drinking it. (1,575 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One of the most dividing beers of the last while , in Vancouver stores it flew off the shelf even a year after its release. Well it is not a masterpiece and its not a drainpour. what it is is a beer that nails that smoky bacon flavour on the nose combined with a maple yeasty flavour in the background. I like smoky beers so I enjoyed the smoke notes on the finish. The sweetness was not cloying ( age maybe on my bottle?) and the mouthfeel was not bad. I had no problem finishing the whole bottle and I might buy this again. Good on Rogue for taking some fun chances on this beer (580 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Don't you think the bottle color is very reminiscent of Pepto Bismol?

Been wanting to try this one for a while but have never really wanted to pay the premium for the bomber. A friend brought this to a mini tasting a couple of days before Christmas Eve 2012. Thanks Brian!

Served in a tulip.

A: Poured a gold/red/maroon color, slightly hazy, and with a small white head that quickly dissolved.

S: Hello bacon grease, I've certainly smelled and tasted you a lot this holiday season! Seriously, the pork fumes on this thing were ridiculous. Pulled pork and then some!

T: Extremely bitter finish, with more pork flavor to spare. It was almost as if someone poured cooked breakfast, added hops, then carbonated the leftover bacon fat. Nothing subtle here. Where's the maple?

M: Certainly cloying, especially with the bitterness minus a sweet component. Virtually no lacing whatsoever.

O: Gotta hand it to Rogue on one front: Nobody will EVER criticize them for being too subtle here. If they could dial down the bitterness and bring up the maple (or at least SOME sort of sweet component), they may have themselves a beer. However, as it stands, I didn't care for this at all. (1,179 characters)

Well i held out on this one for awhile and finally a friend brought onw over to myhouse... i have not heard good things. Well when you hear the expectations are low. Well im a big smoke beer fan so i liked it.. this is more of a smoked beer than anything. Very smokey, maple was faint if any. The beer base was a nice brown ale.. hey its decent... not as bad as people kade it out to be.... if you like smokey beer it is not bad (428 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +17.3%

this beer pours a cloudy brown. the color is good nothing off-putting. the smell is very sweet you can detect heavy maple for sure. the maple is so strong in fact that it may even over power the flavor.
all the bacon comes in the flavor, with a little hoppiness and some smokey feels. i will say that the finish is a little week and watery. this beer isnt bad and it worth experiencing but i wouldnt drink it everyday. (418 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured from 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange/ reddish with an light off white head.

S - smokey flavor, hints of caramel, this smells terrible. Like bad bbq. Hints of maple.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with caramel. Lots of artificial flavors. Little like bacon fat.

M - Medium body, the finish is a terrible.

I enjoy Rogue, but this beer (if thats what you want to call it!) Is down right terrible. Cool idea, bacon, yum! but this wasn't worth $16 bucks. I wish I didn't buy it. (504 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +12.1%

I have to admit, we were all pretty intrigued when word of this beer hit the streets. And of course, I hit my favorite liquor store to grab one as soon as it hit the shelves. Finally got around to opening it and sharing with everyone.

Bright pink bottle (though maybe not appealing) is definatley eye catching.
Slightly cloudy, orange brown color with a short head of eggshell white foam. Fine lacing with good retention.
The first thing you notice is the smell. As soon as the cap came of the smokiness was right there. Swirling the glass about a foot below your nose, the aroma was perfect. Close your eyes and you are in a donut shop, sweet dough, and a freshly made, hand dipped maple glazed donut is waiting. Raise the glass 6 inches, and you get the smoky bacon smell.
I have had a maple bacon donut before, and this was the smell of it - perfectly.
First taste is pretty good, not quite as good as the smell has you primed for, but still full of flavor. Sweetish malt, lots of maple syrup, then a big shot of smoked malt. Strange, weird, and good all at the same time.
But...after a few sips it starts to get overpowering. The smoke flavor takes over, and the mouthfeel is oily and coating leaving an unpleasant aftertaste. Unfortunatley, as it warms up, this becomes even a bigger mish mash of flavors, with too much going on.
Unique? absolutley. Delicious? not really. Was I glad to have people to share with? yes, don't think I could have consumed an entire bottle myself.
Overall, it is what it claims to be. It has all the components of a maple bacon donut. Glad I tried, even if it was my favorite (1,611 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -24%

Hmmm, maple-bacon doughnuts? That sounds pretty awesome, I thought as I purchased this beer. That was a mistake.

Appearance: Murky amber with an off-white head. Pretty good head retention.

Smell: Smoke, bacon, and maple. I will at least give Rogue credit for capturing the individual characteristics of a maple bacon doughnut in the aroma of this beer. I can't, however, say the beer smells particularly good. It seems a bit artificial and the components don't mesh all that well. Still, the experience isn't a bad one, yet.

Taste: Not good. The lack of cohesion and artificial qualities I picked up in the smell are much more prominent here. Harsh smoke, artificial maple, and sweetness that borders on cloying. Honestly, it tastes like a generic amber ale that someone poured liquid smoke and cheap maple extract into.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. Lingers on the palate, which is unfortunate because I really want this beer to be gone at this point.

Overall: Maple and bacon sounds great in a doughnut. Either it just doesn't work in a beer or Rogue really butchered this one. Either way, this is not a pleasant experience. (1,125 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +22%

Recently picked this up at Chuck's after being completely unable to find it anywhere else in Seattle. I saw this a year ago in Portland and swore I'd have to try it when I got home, but apparently distribution of the Voodoo Doughnut beer is not the same as Rogue's regular bombers.

Giant pink pained 750mL bottle. Served cold in pint glass. Beer pours a slightly hazy amber with a thin to medium head. Aroma is sweet and deeply smoky, but well within the range of rauchbier -- no clue of anything truly bizarre yet.

Flavor matches the aroma but brings out the sweetness with a more pronounced maple syrup flavor. Oh, and of course the applewood smoke. I don't know that I can detect any pork flavor beyond the bacony smoke, but to be fair that's frequently true of streaky bacon. Thankfully there's no oily pork fat floating on my beer. Carbonation is moderate to sharp. Do I want a donut with this beer? Buttery pancakes are more likely. Typically -- for me anyway -- rauchbiers demand cheese. So maybe there is something to the bacon/breakfast theme here.

Although this is unquestionably a sweet beer the flavor isn't so unbalanced to be cloying or otherwise annoying. I enjoy it -- though I enjoy rauchbiers quite a bit. I don't think I'll struggle to finish the bottle, though I suspect a 12oz serving might have sufficed. (1,329 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a hazy, amber color with a bit more than one finger of fluffy white head with decent retention.

The scent was very smoky malt, sweet bready malts, maple syrup notes.

The taste is of sweet bready malt, some smokiness, light notes of bacon and maple syrup.

Light body, light and fizzy, high carbonation.

This wasn’t something that I enjoyed, after the initial maltiness it became very fizzy and flavorless. (417 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +15.7%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass pours a dark copper amber with a big tan head that dissipates leaving little lacing, clear

S: smells like smoked bacon, sweet malt, maple syrup

T: has a bit of a burned cough syrup quality, cherry, liquid smoke, bacon grease, charcoal, inhaling next to a camp fire, slight liquified barbecue quality, I don't really taste the doughnut, I don't like it but it sort of matches the label....

M: thin with little carbonation

O: it is an interesting drink but not a well balanced beer, there are too many conflicting flavors, I appreciate the effort put into combining different wood smoke flavors though (651 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +26.8%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Hazy amber color with two fingers worth of light tan head. Light amount of lacing.

Smell- Strong aroma of maple doughnuts.

Taste- Maple flavor at first that fades into a mellow smoked bacon taste. Lingering maple aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and creamy. Moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall- A good, unique tasting beer. Exactly what it says it is. A little pricy ($13 a bottle) but worth it. (450 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -55.9%

I knew it was gimmicky going into it, but wow. The appearance was nice and the mouthfeel was fair, but the smell and taste were, in all honesty, awful. It's like drinking two parts watered down maple syrup and one part liquid smoke. I couldn't even finish the bottle. And that never happens. Opt for a Zima with a Jolly Rancher, you'll be glad you did. (352 characters)

This is most definitely a novelty beer. It is quite unique and worth a try.

A - a medium tan, slightly cloudy. It is cloudy in appearance, but not visible trub in the drink

S - smells more like bacon than anything else. I love bacon, so i'll take it :-)

T - the taste is pretty awesome, but not consistent. I had a bottle several weeks ago, and now i'm currently on my second. The first time, I sensed the strong bacon, smoked bacon, flavoring with not maple. This time there is a strong maple presence while the bacon flavor is still there as well. The bacon is still the dominant flavor. I like, but I don't think I could have more than one.

M - a pretty strong, acidic beer. Not overwhelming but it's a beer for sure. You can feel the bacon in the aftertaste in your mouth as well.

Overall I would definitely recommend if you're in the mood for a novelty drink, if you like bacon, and you just want to try something new. I'd have it again, but probably one 1 per sitting. It's no session beer. (1,004 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -6.7%

From: Somewhere in IA, thanks PM for gifting this one
Date: None on bottle
Glass: Standard US pint glass

Rogue's "maple bacon" smoked beer makes substantial use of smoked malts and attendant sweetness to generate an overly sweet beer that hints at the bacon and added maple flavoring used in the brewing/fermenting process. With an overly sweet aftertaste that serves to be quite cloying, this is a smoked beer I don't see myself returning to.

Pours a 1.5cm head of foam, slightly off-white in color, with average retention. Head falls to a thin ring around the perimeter of the glass, leaving small flecks of lacing on its way down. Body is a moderately light brownish-orange color, hazy, with light bringing out paler orange tones. Carbonation is visible, appearing fairly active.

Aroma primarily of smoked malts (moreso than bacon, though this is there, too) and fairly heavy sweetness. The sweetness could be derived from well-chosen malts rather than the artificial maple flavoring Rogue used (does artificial flavoring even impart an aroma?), and I wouldn't have guessed "maple" as a flavor, unless it was listed in the name of the beer. Generally: doughnut-sweet smoky scents. Interesting, not unappealing, but not particularly complex enough (to me) to warrant a rating that's slightly above average.

Beer opens in tasting with fairly high sweetness mixed with emerging smoke flavors. Smoke becomes prominent in mid-palate, bacon is there, but mild, comes across more as an afterthought. Maple may appear, or it may not, it's difficult to decide if I'm searching too much for it or not. Back of palate continues the smoked malt flavors, along with a creeping, somewhat cloying malt sweetness. Long-lingering aftertaste of sweetness and lighter smokiness that becomes cloying after a few moments. The aftertaste continues to hang around for far longer than is welcome.

Beer is medium in body, lighter/thinner than anticipated. Carbonation is of medium intensity, resulting in a slightly fizzy mouthfeel with modest foaming and creaminess. Finish is not dry, but there is substantial stickiness across the palate. This is not particularly different from any other smoked beer, and the thinness did not impress me. (2,224 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a bottle.

The beer looked great coming out of the bottle. Average light, orange look that was very cloudy. The white head also lingered a lot longer than most beers. The maple smell was very dominant, with a slight sweetness and little bacon and smokiness. Despite the delicious smell, the beer was not so great. The maple flavour overpowered most everything else. The "bacon" flavour had a very fake taste to it and was not enjoyable. The smokiness was a lot more natural in the taste and lingered in the aftertaste. All-in-all: not a very balanced flavour mixture... they didn't compliment themselves as much as I had hoped for.

Would I buy it again? No. Not good. (680 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -7.7%

Looks quite nice, sweet, orangey amber with a huge white head that lingers quite a while. Very cloudy with heavy lacing.

Smells super sexy, Smokey maple syrup nose with a hint of sweet potato. Also a super sugary backbone comes into play. In a word: "heavenly."

Aaaand it's gone. The smoke and syrup and sweet potato and sugar; all gone. In it's stead, a very bland pale straw flavor, more accompanied by char than smoke. No real hop flavor, not even a bit of malt that isn't pale. Does not taste as it smells.

Mouthfeel is very prickly, thin bodied and dry.

Drinkability is so so but I wouldnt want to.

I waited a long time for this one, I am disappointed. (662 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

ST: 750 into a pint glass.

A: Clear amber with a LOT of carbonation and a thin, slightly off-white head (leaves spotty lacing).

S:No denying its name sake, bacon and maple dominate. It has the dry burning wood aroma that you find in some German beers (I am blanking on the type right now, I think rauchbier). But behind the bacon is the maple and, actually, the smell of doughy sweet donuts. The aroma of this beer is unique.

T: Very boozy and hoppy up front kills most of the flavor except for a bit of burnt bacon. The burnt bacon flavor with some maple sweetness shows up in the finish along with some spiciness and alcohol. It is an interesting flavor, and the finish is better than the start.

M: Heavy

O: I am glad I tried this beer. It is not balanced well, and many of the unique flavors are pushed to the back, but the aroma is amazing and the fatty bacon flavor in the finish is enjoyable. It is something I was very interested in trying. I have to give thanks to one of my good friends who got this for me as a groomsmen gift. (1,043 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +30%

We pop the top and pour a brew of glowing sunset orange. It holds a creamy, cakey tan head, showing nice retention. Whips of spidery lacing skate down the glass. There is a moderate haze throughout, with flecks of sediment noted. Carbonation appears active. The nose smells just as advertised. There is huge smokiness of malts, and a char-burned bacon meatiness that burns through the nasal epithelium. The maple mixes beautifully, with nice sweetness to cut, giving a cloying sensation streaking through such a heavy base. Little else is noted as this smells truly of bacon, maple, and smoky ale. Our first impression is that there is a dizzying level of baconness to the flavoring, with maple holding off until the finish. As we sip, soured grain and massively robust smoked woodiness hit hard. Pale malts and lightly citric hops contribute, along with plastic phenols that sit high against the smokiness. The peak comes with enhanced sourness, and strong bittering bite of that warming smoke and woodiness. The hops add more, which is surprising, and add to the general sourness of the flavoring. The finish finally breaks, with sweetness of maple, and syrup-drenched bacon washing the palate. These do have to compete with that persistent smokiness, but the blend is definite and purposeful. The aftertaste breathes of heavy and warming smoke, charred applewood bacon, authentic maple woodiness, cedar, salt water taffy, and mineral water. The body is medium to full, and the carbonation is medium, with a nice prickle to the hard palate. There is decent slurp and pop, with okay cream and froth. The mouth is coated and oily, with stickiness and cooling to the end. No real dryness is noted, but the drinker feels warmed all around. The abv is easy, and the beer is more of a sipper.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how ambitious it was. Everyone seems to enjoy hating all over this beer, but the truth of the matter is that it is EXACTLY what is advertised. The flavoring is smoky from the numerous, and varied, grain bill, while the bacon and maple flavors are authentic and insanely robust. These all blend for a unique, warming mix of bold aromatics and flavors. Give it a fair, open-minded assessment with this in mind, and you might be surprised with the results. This is a good beer. (2,314 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clearish, reddish brown with two finger head that left lace. I pretty much just get this strong maple syrup like aroma, not much smokiness or anything else; the maple overpowers everything. Smooth passing for a rauchbier, I enjoyed drinking this beer because (to me, at least) the balance is there and there is a light, sugary sweetness along with a strong, meaty, "bacony" taste. It is not going to equal or surpass any German rauchbier, but I did not mind drinking this as much as others seem to. (507 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -47%

Was really excited to try this one...

A - Pours orange-ish, fairly limited head.

S - Confusing in a word, some sweetness and carmel, but also strange smoke-like scent

T - Sweetness up front, pretty pleasant, then it goes to hell. The best way we could think to describe it was like eating a campfire that you threw plastic into.

M - Medium body, nothing too terrible, but the ending is pretty miserable.

I'm just happy my friend brought this over, I would have hated to spend money on it. I'm hoping their next experimental doesn't involve any bacon/smoke flavor. I'd rather drink a bottle of "Liquid Smoke". (613 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

A: Dark copper colored beer, with a thin light-tan creamy looking head. Mild lacing. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles. The beer is slightly hazy.

S: Haha well there definitely is maple in this. With the first whiff I am slammed with the scent of maple syrup. I also get a vanilla bean flavor very strongly. If you ever open a fresh bag of vanilla beans and it has this slightly off-scent from the beans, that's what this smells like. No roasted scents.

T: The flavor closely mimics the scent. Tons and tons of vanilla and maple flavor to this. I don't know if they actually use vanilla beans but it tastes very strongly of vanilla beans. The grains, hops, and any smoked flavor are not present. I'm not really sure why they consider it a smoked beer because I get zero smoky flavor. I also don't get any bacon flavor.

M: It's bordering between light and medium in mouthfeel. It's pretty highly carbonated. The beer is a bit hard to drink because of the strong flavors. It doesn't really have enough bitterness for a smoked beer, in my opinion.

O: Overall I thought it was a pretty tasty beer, but it's something you'd probably want to sip and share with friends instead of drinking a bottle on my own. It has a large maple syrup sweetness. It would be a great breakfast beer with pancakes, but at the end of the day this would be hard to drink unless you're feeling like a waffle house meal at 10pm. If you're a fan of Rauch beers, you probably won't be too fond of this. It is a beer for everyone to try, but I wouldn't buy it again. (1,538 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a short off-white head over a clear, dark amber body with a touch of carbonation. Some trace lacing. Film remains on top for long time.

Aromas are interesting/unique. Caramel and vanilla are prominent along with smoke. Cloyingly sweet aroma ... a little over the top. Slight chemical / plastic / rubber quality in there as well.

Fairly thin mouthfeel. Good carbonation to cut the heavy flavors. Some maple, English hops, light smoke (relative to other smoked beers), light bacon quality. I can see where people are turned off by this, as the aromas are not terribly pleasant, and tend to affect an otherwise decent (interesting) flavor profile.

I dig experimental beers - no matter how off-centered they may be. I suspect that if DFH made this exact same beer, it would get higher marks. Nice job pushing the envelope Rogue. (841 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

Split a a 22oz with Hopswagger.

A - Pours a hazy orange/rubyred with an offshore head.

S - artificial smoke, hints of caramel, this smells like fake beef jerky.

T - Heavy smoke mixed with faux caramel. Lots of artificial flavors.

M - Medium body, carbonation but the finish is a nightmare.

This beer had great potential but is clearly a nightmare. The artificial smoke flavor could cause divorces. It's atrocious. I'm pissed that I spent $15 on this crap. (463 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -50.2%

P: Reddish copper body adorned by a bubbly froth of off white head.

S: Smells like WaffleHouse. Smoky, brown sugared bacon, maple syrup, and pancake batter. Heavy artificial smoke.

T/M: Follows the nose but is watered down. Again with the heavy artificial smoke and a dash of hops. Mouthfeel is medium and subtly carbonated. Don't even care to describe the finish.

O: Terribly awful. The artificial smoke kills anything that could have even been presented as a reputable beer. Can you say "Drain Pourer?" (510 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales