Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 410 | Hads: 1,663
2.87/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I've tried all the Voodoo Doughnut brews from Rogue, this was my first experience with that line and my opinion is that the beer isn't all THAT bad, just that really bad 'bacon' flavor. To me the 'bacon' simply tastes like liquid smoke, that's all. And anybody who cooks with liquid smoke knows, a little will go a LONG way. I feel like they could have toned down the 'bacon' flavor and turned up the maple taste and it would have come out a much better brew. I'll give Rogue credit though, it's unique and the warmer it got, the better it got. I don't think it's as bad as these ratings suggest but it definitely is more of a 'novelty' beer. (642 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -57.8%

I bought this tonight as a "what the hell why not" $12 mistake. This is the worst thing I have ever drank. You should buy it just to see how bad it is!! Should be called Rogue jock strap sweat sock poison ivy band aid ale. I feel victimized and violated had to crack open a Gandhi Bot quickly just to feel normal again. Why dear god why would they put this out there!! I don't know if I will ever get that taste and smell out of my brain , some things cannot be undone. Pray for me. (482 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

I'm a bacon fan as well as a beer fan, so when I heard of this I was hopeful but I know that bacon into a beer form would be a long shot and I was sated in knowing that there would be disappointment,
So when I was finally able to try it I was not surprised that it wasn't good, I've tried it 3 times now
-1x when I lived in MS
-1x living in TX
-1x when I had a buddy from Portland bring me a bottle from OR.
STILL, to no avail, this beer is not going to get any better
3 strikes = YOU'RE OUT (491 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +3.5%

A: This poured a clear light copper with moderate light tan head.
S: It smelled like smoky bacon and sweet maple syrup, with some copper and powdered sugar.
T: It tasted like smoky bacon and burnt sugar, with some rusty copper and a little maple syrup. It had a harsh dirty aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was a fun brew to try as a gimmick. The scent was actually pretty good, but the taste and finish were really rough like a poor rauchbier. So not easy to drink, or very enjoyable. Lots of missed potential with this one. (567 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle 5,6% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a wine glass and a snifter.
No bottle date.

Appearance: I must say, this is quite a bit lighter than I was expecting - pouring a lightly hazy amber-orange colour. A rough pour yields a large off white head that lasts fantastically well and coats the glass in some interesting patterns of lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Wow, the nose is absolutely bursting with thick heavy smoke and ridiculously sweet golden syrup. The smoke character offers meaty notes as well as a little campfire, but remains firmly in the fake liquid smoke realm. Other notes include: Pale malt, a woody pine note and brown sugar.

Taste: Huge smoky malt and sickly sweet golden/maple syrup make up majority of the flavor. The meaty smoke actually does a good job to balance the ridiculous sweetness of the maple and keep the beer somewhat drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this really doesn’t work! The body is light and somehow seems watery and lightly sticky at the same time, while the carbonation is of a very high level and somewhat harsh.

Overall: After the banana-chocolate-peanut-butter version I was expecting the worst from this bottle, but actually its far from dreadful. I would like to try a version that is made with real ingredients (not flavouring ) and has the abv bumped up to around 10%. (1,341 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light amber color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and not much lacing. Aroma consists of smoked malt with overly gross sweet notes which is incredibly messy. Taste is absolutely disgusting with awful smoked malt notes mix with overly gross sweet flavours. Body is light with good carbonation. Incredibly messy beer. (361 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -32.6%

22oz bomber to pint glass

A: Hazy amber with tan, thick head.

S: Artificial. Fake smoke, fake maple.

T: Just like it smells and horribly sweet. Can't get over the fake syrup taste.

M: Sticky. moderate carbonation.

O: Not Rogue's best work. The doughnut is much better. (276 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -39.9%

This has got to be, the absolute worst beer I ever tried. My boyfriend and I love Maple. love Doughnuts, love Bacon... we also have the wonder of owning/operating a barbecue restaurant. Unfortunately, the best taste comparison I can provide, is Liquid Smoke (which is also a horrible and nasty thing).

As someone familiar with BBQ, you always want the smokey flavor to be there, and be noticeable, but there is a fine line where something becomes too smokey. That was this beer, it was all smoke, I tried my hardest to pick out notes of anything else. But in the end, I committed beer abuse, this guy went down the sink, made me sad, especially since it was pricey. (667 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

really interesting brew.
a smokey burning smell.
has a smokey pencil taste in the beginning with slight maple hints and sweetens as it warms releasing hoppy notes on the pallet but still keeping that smokey taste also bringing out that apple wood smoked bacon flavor. (267 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A: Dosent look too bad. Poured a murky reddish orange.

S: fake liquid smoke and pencil shavings with a touch of maple. Awful. My whole house smells like a fire. Extremely overpowering.

T: Very similar to the smell. Fake liquid smoke bombards everything. A bit of maple at the finish. Small amount of hop bitterness at the back of the tounge as it warmed.

M: medium carbonation mouthfeel was a little thin.

Overall: its kinda cool that rogue tried to experiment by doing something different, but it was very poorly executed. I had to give the rest to my buddy. If you don't like smoked beers I would not advise you wasting your money on this. It's a shame, because everytjibg else I had from rogue was pretty Damn good. Was a huge disappointment. (753 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Right a mixture of curiosity, awe, wonder and downright fear has brought me here to spending £12/$20 on the beer

Looks, it looks like your average stereotypical beer big white foamy head and amber body that id just slightly hazy

The Aroma is very smoky, almost like a cigar with slight elements of sickly sweet peppers, distinct, interesting, puzzling but not all that inviting.

Above all the taste is that of a smoked beer I get BBQ charcoal, brief hints of bacon but not much else I've even shaken the bottle to see if the maple is stuck at the bottom

This is shockingly not shocking
a fairly pleasant smokey affair more Marlboro than Maple (648 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I don't know what Rogue thinks pig's tails look like, but that's not it. They nailed the maple leaf though, spot on. Evenly maple and bacon notes are spread out over the body of this beer and it is smoky in an underhanded way. Sweetness from the maple that lingers like the sticky sap it was made from. Some caramel malt body behind the extra flavors but mostly a convincing pro-breakfast rally cry. And trust me, the bacon carries reallly well. More smoke as it warms up, but holy breakfast I am drinking this in the wrong meridian. 73/100 (540 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz. bottle. Pours a hazy amber with little light penetration. A good head stays around for a while but fades with no lacing. Smells of maple syrup at first and then a smoked malty aroma. Tastes similar, a smoky wood flavor, not toasted but earthy. I can't taste the bacon unless that's the smoke. The maple comes a bit later. I want to say outright I think people were really harsh on this brew, and while it wasn't my favorite brew of the week, I give rogue major kudos for testing the outer limits of ideas. Maybe this one didn't hit, but hey, that's how progress happens. Lord knows the last thing this world needs is one more pumpkin beer or generic IPA. (672 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a hazy orange-reddish amber color with a big billowy orange-cream tinted head. The head has a decent level of retention, slowly fading over time to leave some nice streaky lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite robust of maple syrup smells as well as a smoky, saltwater, and toffee smell. Mixed with these are some bready aromas as well as some meaty smells with hints of hickey smoked bacon mixed within. It actually smells like a mix of very salty maple salt water taffy, doughnuts, and smoked meat. A rather interesting aroma overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a somewhat sweeter flavor of maple syrup and toffee with some bready malt. A hint of smokiness is present upfront, with this flavor growing stronger and stronger as the taste advances to the end. Notes of seawater work their way to the tongue along with some flavors of a somewhat oddly bitter bacon/meat taste. The sweeter flavors that were present upfront fade as the taste transitions on to the middle. The bacon taste with lots of flavors of smoke and salt are quite potent at the end and due to a surge of the sweeter flavors of maple syrup and toffee to the levels that were present upfront a rather off slightly bitter and sort of disgustingly sweet and smoky meat taste is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on medium side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is on the average side. I think it is appropriate for the style as it does make it somewhat drinkable, but overall I am not 100% sure.

Overall – Well… It looked and smelled rather nice, but the taste was just way too off. It was one I always wanted to try out of curiosity. Now with the curiosity satisfied I will almost assuredly never buy it again. But even with that said, I would recommend to anyone to try it, as it is quite the novelty with quite the reputation. (1,967 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -33.2%

Received a bottle as a gag Christmas gift.
Thought, oh cool, this is interesting. I love bacon, I love beer, hell maple glazed donuts are cool too.
Poured it into a pint glass.
Took a whiff.
Smelt of maple syrup burning in a pan recently used to fry up bacon.
Overwhelming taste, almost medicinal.
Tried my best to drink it.
A couple of pulls and I dumped it down the drain.

avoid.
Saw it in my bottle shop going for $14.00 ea. (428 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -11.5%

this is a great idea for a beer, but in my opinion all i could taste was burnt bacon, it smelled good, and sounded like it would be excellent, but after pouring into a glass and serving around 40 degrees, it was just a huge disappointment. good idea! but not good results (271 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

For some reason I was expecting a dark beer, instead I end up with a dark amber brew that shows a hazed, full amber hue with gold highlights when held up to the light. The head is an almost two-finger thick, pale tan color as it sits in my New Belgium Globe glass. The aroma smells of smoke up front that is quickly overcome by a sweet, sugary, maple note. Once you really start to look at the nose the smokiness never disappears and in fact has phenolic notes that suggest strongly of burnt / curing plastic; luckily this is not overwhelming, but it is definitely a problem I have noticed repeatedly from the Briess Cherrywood smoked malt. It is amazing how much this smells like a sugar laden, maple glazed doughnut; an extremely interesting aroma that definitely seems to have nailed the maple component, the bacon though just really isn’t present as the cherrywood smoked malt seems to be a consistently poor choice in the beers I have tried it in.

Despite smelling huge and sticky sweet, the beer is actually fairly dry. It has an almost tartness to it up front, but quickly picks up a smoky flavor that lingers in the palate and the finish has an ample maple like flavor lingering on along with the smokiness. The smoky flavors are quite as plastic like as it is in the nose, but there is a suggestion of plastic to the finish; otherwise it almost has an astringent woody edge to it. The maple character seems more in common with fake pancake syrup than real maple syrup, but it actually isn’t really all that bad though. There is not real bitterness to this beer, it gets its balance from the sharper smoke character. Somewhat light bodied and actually would be fairly quaffable if this was a regular beer.

Definitely an interesting beer, it wasn’t at all what I expected and did in fact nail the maple doughnut character pretty well. The bacon really doesn’t seem to be capture well though. Overall this was interesting, but not something I ever will feel the need to try again. A couple ounces is certainly enough; worth trying for the donut aspects at least. (2,078 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -54.6%

ugh- I don't even want to write a detailed review. Let's just say that gross beer makes me sad, but getting my hopes up with the promise of delicious bacon, then turning out like this, that's a sin. I have never had such a hard time finishing a beer. I expected a lot better from Rogue. (286 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Not even the geniuses at Rogue could make this flavor work.

Pours a nice amber with a thick white head and its all downhill from here.

Smells smoky to the point of being medicinal. There is some maple there but it is dominated by the smokiness. You can smell the maple too but it doesn't do much for it.

Tastes- The smokiness is overpowering and there is definitely some bacon but the maple was too weak to balance it out. So the two dominating flavors I got were salty bacon and medicinal smokiness which is about as pleasant as you would imagine.

Mouthfeel-Nothing special a little carbonation but it goes away quickly. The taste was kind of poor so I was more focused on that.

Overall- Not blaming Rogue because in retrospect this is a flavor that would be hard to pull off but it is a bad beer. The only reason you might want to try it would be to say you did. (870 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Tried half the bottle on it's own, which wasn't bad; However this was mainly used for beer floats during an episode of "The Walking Dead." The floats were awesome with Vanilla Bean.

I wouldn't purchase another bottle of Voodoo unless it was for floats, which it is very good with. (281 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -54%

I have had a Bacon Maple bar from the world famous Voodoo Doughnuts, and it was a glorious experience. So whence I saw the pink gleaming bottle from afar, it was calling my name and I and thought: "Voodoo doughnuts + Maple + Bacon + Beer = EPIC WIN"

A friend and I eagerly awaited a time when we could both partake of this brew. And When the time came... Lets just say we now have a new gold standard for the worst tasting beer of all time. Normally, even if a beer tastes bad, I will still finish it on principle, because it is beer. And wasting any form of beer is a sin. The exception to that rule is Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale. Though it is a beautiful amber color, We had to pour the wretched concoction down the drain.

I am very saddened to have to write this review, as I love the other beverages Rouges Ales has to offer. But this is certainly not one of them. (876 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +23.6%

750mL pink bottle with no bottling date

look is a darkish brown with a small yellowish head. smell is the applewood bacon, smoked malt, and maple syrup flavoring. taste is a very vanilla ale with maple and bacon undertones. the smoked malt is very much in the background and there is no doughnut flavor to speak of.

better than its reputation, an interesting idea and well executed. worth trying without a doubt. (414 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a bright copper color with a foamy cream colored head that leaves just a bit of lace.

S- sweet maple syrup, smoked and greasy bacon and campfire smoke. It smells exactly as you would expect it to, given the beers description. It's like liquid pancakes and bacon

T- the sweetness of the maple syrup dominates up front, then gives way to straight up bacon. The greasy bacon is then followed by intense campfire smokiness in the finish that lasts on the palate long after the finish. The smokiness is a bit too much as I could only drink a few ounces

M- medium body with moderate fizzy carbonation, dry and smoky finish that lingers in the palate for what seems like forever

O- although this beer was hard to drink more than a few ounces, it tasted and smelled as I would expect from a bacon maple beer, and for that I had to give it a decent score. It was worth trying, but not something that I would revisit again (925 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy bright copper body with a lumpy beige yellowish head that is supported by strands of microbubbles.

S- There is a strong artificial maple flavoring aroma followed by a smoke note and some layers of smoke and bacon blend a bit with a plastic band-aid note growing as the beer opens.

T- The slightly meaty flavor of bacon note with some layers of smoke ending in more plastic band-aids. Then comes the artificial maple flavoring in full force and it lingers after the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has no alcohol heat and a gentle fizz but it can’t cut the artificial maple of the tongue.

O- The complex layer of flavor are all a bit offensive and the nice smoke notes are dominated by band-aids and artificial maple flavoring. It was a bit hard to get through this beer. I’m glad I got to try one bottle but one is enough. (901 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the pink 750Ml bottle into a Pint glass, very nice cloudy copper color with a 3 finger tan head. Aroma holds smoke, maple, bacon, malt and sugar. Taste was a slightly smoke/bacon flavor with only hints of maple now and then finishing with a smokey bitter on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel was pleasant with fair carbonation and a medium layer of flavor left on the middle of the tongue. Overall for a smoked beer it comes in at 100% of what it should be, I would like a little more maple but other than that it was worth a taste and I'm glad I found it. (568 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales