Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Ratings: 1,661 | Reviews: 434
2.56/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok so I went to a beer store and got this just really for the novelty of it. I didn't have very good expectations...and for good reason. The appearance is decent with a nice amber color. Smell is just as the name implies...smoke....bacon...maple with a little hop scent to it. Taste was a little overwhelming. The maple and bacon hits you like a brick right up front. Cant really taste much else. If it would have stayed at that it might not have been so bad. Then you get the huge taste of what is like liquid smoke. Overwhelming smoke flavor that was just too much! This is a good novelty beer but not much else!

3.96/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

When it is fresh it does not really drink well. The bacon dare i say was a little overwhelming with maple sweetness. Had a hard time drinking it with ease. However after this had a year age on it, wow. The flavors had mellowed together very well. The bacon had softened an the blend tasted like bacon maple pancake. With an malty ale finish. My only regret is that I didn't buy more to age. I am saddened by this. Please make this again. I will by a case or two and let it sit.

1.36/5  rDev -51.4%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad.

3.8/5  rDev +35.7%

750ml bottle. Palm Snifter glass (from my 2012 notes). Deep orange color & cloudy appearance. Off-white to light beige foam creates a thick crown. Complex aroma profile shows intense maple syrup, smoked malts, burnt candy, pancake, roasted notes & burnt wood. Smoked upfront followed by arising sweetness. Light to medium body. Moderate carbonation. Viscous mouthfeel. In the middle, touches of bacon & slight salty with biscuit maltiness linger in a sweet finish. Woody aftertaste. You´re gonna be shocked by strong sensations but the pink color bottle won´t be the main one !!

1.7/5  rDev -39.3%

This is the worst beer I have ever had the pleasure of tasting, I had to rinse my tulip glass twice to get rid of the overwhelming maple barf flavor. I would not recommend this gem to an enemy. The carbonation was poor and as the temperature of the beer rose so did the awful aftertaste. I am sooo glad that this beer was retired. That being said, "I still love ya Rogue".

2.87/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I've tried all the Voodoo Doughnut brews from Rogue, this was my first experience with that line and my opinion is that the beer isn't all THAT bad, just that really bad 'bacon' flavor. To me the 'bacon' simply tastes like liquid smoke, that's all. And anybody who cooks with liquid smoke knows, a little will go a LONG way. I feel like they could have toned down the 'bacon' flavor and turned up the maple taste and it would have come out a much better brew. I'll give Rogue credit though, it's unique and the warmer it got, the better it got. I don't think it's as bad as these ratings suggest but it definitely is more of a 'novelty' beer.

1.32/5  rDev -52.9%

I bought this tonight as a "what the hell why not" $12 mistake. This is the worst thing I have ever drank. You should buy it just to see how bad it is!! Should be called Rogue jock strap sweat sock poison ivy band aid ale. I feel victimized and violated had to crack open a Gandhi Bot quickly just to feel normal again. Why dear god why would they put this out there!! I don't know if I will ever get that taste and smell out of my brain , some things cannot be undone. Pray for me.

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

I'm a bacon fan as well as a beer fan, so when I heard of this I was hopeful but I know that bacon into a beer form would be a long shot and I was sated in knowing that there would be disappointment,
So when I was finally able to try it I was not surprised that it wasn't good, I've tried it 3 times now
-1x when I lived in MS
-1x living in TX
-1x when I had a buddy from Portland bring me a bottle from OR.
STILL, to no avail, this beer is not going to get any better
3 strikes = YOU'RE OUT

3.24/5  rDev +15.7%

A: This poured a clear light copper with moderate light tan head.
S: It smelled like smoky bacon and sweet maple syrup, with some copper and powdered sugar.
T: It tasted like smoky bacon and burnt sugar, with some rusty copper and a little maple syrup. It had a harsh dirty aftertaste.
M: It was watery with lots of carbonation. Fizzy body.
D: This was a fun brew to try as a gimmick. The scent was actually pretty good, but the taste and finish were really rough like a poor rauchbier. So not easy to drink, or very enjoyable. Lots of missed potential with this one.

3.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle 5,6% Abv.
Served chilled and split between a wine glass and a snifter.
No bottle date.

Appearance: I must say, this is quite a bit lighter than I was expecting - pouring a lightly hazy amber-orange colour. A rough pour yields a large off white head that lasts fantastically well and coats the glass in some interesting patterns of lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Wow, the nose is absolutely bursting with thick heavy smoke and ridiculously sweet golden syrup. The smoke character offers meaty notes as well as a little campfire, but remains firmly in the fake liquid smoke realm. Other notes include: Pale malt, a woody pine note and brown sugar.

Taste: Huge smoky malt and sickly sweet golden/maple syrup make up majority of the flavor. The meaty smoke actually does a good job to balance the ridiculous sweetness of the maple and keep the beer somewhat drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Blegh, this really doesn’t work! The body is light and somehow seems watery and lightly sticky at the same time, while the carbonation is of a very high level and somewhat harsh.

Overall: After the banana-chocolate-peanut-butter version I was expecting the worst from this bottle, but actually its far from dreadful. I would like to try a version that is made with real ingredients (not flavouring ) and has the abv bumped up to around 10%.

1.33/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Bottle: Poured a clear light amber color ale with a medium size foamy head with light retention and not much lacing. Aroma consists of smoked malt with overly gross sweet notes which is incredibly messy. Taste is absolutely disgusting with awful smoked malt notes mix with overly gross sweet flavours. Body is light with good carbonation. Incredibly messy beer.

2.11/5  rDev -24.6%

22oz bomber to pint glass

A: Hazy amber with tan, thick head.

S: Artificial. Fake smoke, fake maple.

T: Just like it smells and horribly sweet. Can't get over the fake syrup taste.

M: Sticky. moderate carbonation.

O: Not Rogue's best work. The doughnut is much better.

1.88/5  rDev -32.9%

This has got to be, the absolute worst beer I ever tried. My boyfriend and I love Maple. love Doughnuts, love Bacon... we also have the wonder of owning/operating a barbecue restaurant. Unfortunately, the best taste comparison I can provide, is Liquid Smoke (which is also a horrible and nasty thing).

As someone familiar with BBQ, you always want the smokey flavor to be there, and be noticeable, but there is a fine line where something becomes too smokey. That was this beer, it was all smoke, I tried my hardest to pick out notes of anything else. But in the end, I committed beer abuse, this guy went down the sink, made me sad, especially since it was pricey.

3.67/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

really interesting brew.
a smokey burning smell.
has a smokey pencil taste in the beginning with slight maple hints and sweetens as it warms releasing hoppy notes on the pallet but still keeping that smokey taste also bringing out that apple wood smoked bacon flavor.

1.67/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A: Dosent look too bad. Poured a murky reddish orange.

S: fake liquid smoke and pencil shavings with a touch of maple. Awful. My whole house smells like a fire. Extremely overpowering.

T: Very similar to the smell. Fake liquid smoke bombards everything. A bit of maple at the finish. Small amount of hop bitterness at the back of the tounge as it warmed.

M: medium carbonation mouthfeel was a little thin.

Overall: its kinda cool that rogue tried to experiment by doing something different, but it was very poorly executed. I had to give the rest to my buddy. If you don't like smoked beers I would not advise you wasting your money on this. It's a shame, because everytjibg else I had from rogue was pretty Damn good. Was a huge disappointment.

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Right a mixture of curiosity, awe, wonder and downright fear has brought me here to spending £12/$20 on the beer

Looks, it looks like your average stereotypical beer big white foamy head and amber body that id just slightly hazy

The Aroma is very smoky, almost like a cigar with slight elements of sickly sweet peppers, distinct, interesting, puzzling but not all that inviting.

Above all the taste is that of a smoked beer I get BBQ charcoal, brief hints of bacon but not much else I've even shaken the bottle to see if the maple is stuck at the bottom

This is shockingly not shocking
a fairly pleasant smokey affair more Marlboro than Maple

3.53/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I don't know what Rogue thinks pig's tails look like, but that's not it. They nailed the maple leaf though, spot on. Evenly maple and bacon notes are spread out over the body of this beer and it is smoky in an underhanded way. Sweetness from the maple that lingers like the sticky sap it was made from. Some caramel malt body behind the extra flavors but mostly a convincing pro-breakfast rally cry. And trust me, the bacon carries reallly well. More smoke as it warms up, but holy breakfast I am drinking this in the wrong meridian. 73/100

3.31/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22oz. bottle. Pours a hazy amber with little light penetration. A good head stays around for a while but fades with no lacing. Smells of maple syrup at first and then a smoked malty aroma. Tastes similar, a smoky wood flavor, not toasted but earthy. I can't taste the bacon unless that's the smoke. The maple comes a bit later. I want to say outright I think people were really harsh on this brew, and while it wasn't my favorite brew of the week, I give rogue major kudos for testing the outer limits of ideas. Maybe this one didn't hit, but hey, that's how progress happens. Lord knows the last thing this world needs is one more pumpkin beer or generic IPA.

2.39/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a hazy orange-reddish amber color with a big billowy orange-cream tinted head. The head has a decent level of retention, slowly fading over time to leave some nice streaky lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite robust of maple syrup smells as well as a smoky, saltwater, and toffee smell. Mixed with these are some bready aromas as well as some meaty smells with hints of hickey smoked bacon mixed within. It actually smells like a mix of very salty maple salt water taffy, doughnuts, and smoked meat. A rather interesting aroma overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a somewhat sweeter flavor of maple syrup and toffee with some bready malt. A hint of smokiness is present upfront, with this flavor growing stronger and stronger as the taste advances to the end. Notes of seawater work their way to the tongue along with some flavors of a somewhat oddly bitter bacon/meat taste. The sweeter flavors that were present upfront fade as the taste transitions on to the middle. The bacon taste with lots of flavors of smoke and salt are quite potent at the end and due to a surge of the sweeter flavors of maple syrup and toffee to the levels that were present upfront a rather off slightly bitter and sort of disgustingly sweet and smoky meat taste is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on medium side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is on the average side. I think it is appropriate for the style as it does make it somewhat drinkable, but overall I am not 100% sure.

Overall – Well… It looked and smelled rather nice, but the taste was just way too off. It was one I always wanted to try out of curiosity. Now with the curiosity satisfied I will almost assuredly never buy it again. But even with that said, I would recommend to anyone to try it, as it is quite the novelty with quite the reputation.

2.09/5  rDev -25.4%

Received a bottle as a gag Christmas gift.
Thought, oh cool, this is interesting. I love bacon, I love beer, hell maple glazed donuts are cool too.
Poured it into a pint glass.
Took a whiff.
Smelt of maple syrup burning in a pan recently used to fry up bacon.
Overwhelming taste, almost medicinal.
Tried my best to drink it.
A couple of pulls and I dumped it down the drain.

avoid.
Saw it in my bottle shop going for $14.00 ea.

2.77/5  rDev -1.1%

this is a great idea for a beer, but in my opinion all i could taste was burnt bacon, it smelled good, and sounded like it would be excellent, but after pouring into a glass and serving around 40 degrees, it was just a huge disappointment. good idea! but not good results

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

For some reason I was expecting a dark beer, instead I end up with a dark amber brew that shows a hazed, full amber hue with gold highlights when held up to the light. The head is an almost two-finger thick, pale tan color as it sits in my New Belgium Globe glass. The aroma smells of smoke up front that is quickly overcome by a sweet, sugary, maple note. Once you really start to look at the nose the smokiness never disappears and in fact has phenolic notes that suggest strongly of burnt / curing plastic; luckily this is not overwhelming, but it is definitely a problem I have noticed repeatedly from the Briess Cherrywood smoked malt. It is amazing how much this smells like a sugar laden, maple glazed doughnut; an extremely interesting aroma that definitely seems to have nailed the maple component, the bacon though just really isn’t present as the cherrywood smoked malt seems to be a consistently poor choice in the beers I have tried it in.

Despite smelling huge and sticky sweet, the beer is actually fairly dry. It has an almost tartness to it up front, but quickly picks up a smoky flavor that lingers in the palate and the finish has an ample maple like flavor lingering on along with the smokiness. The smoky flavors are quite as plastic like as it is in the nose, but there is a suggestion of plastic to the finish; otherwise it almost has an astringent woody edge to it. The maple character seems more in common with fake pancake syrup than real maple syrup, but it actually isn’t really all that bad though. There is not real bitterness to this beer, it gets its balance from the sharper smoke character. Somewhat light bodied and actually would be fairly quaffable if this was a regular beer.

Definitely an interesting beer, it wasn’t at all what I expected and did in fact nail the maple doughnut character pretty well. The bacon really doesn’t seem to be capture well though. Overall this was interesting, but not something I ever will feel the need to try again. A couple ounces is certainly enough; worth trying for the donut aspects at least.

1.42/5  rDev -49.3%

ugh- I don't even want to write a detailed review. Let's just say that gross beer makes me sad, but getting my hopes up with the promise of delicious bacon, then turning out like this, that's a sin. I have never had such a hard time finishing a beer. I expected a lot better from Rogue.

2.12/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Not even the geniuses at Rogue could make this flavor work.

Pours a nice amber with a thick white head and its all downhill from here.

Smells smoky to the point of being medicinal. There is some maple there but it is dominated by the smokiness. You can smell the maple too but it doesn't do much for it.

Tastes- The smokiness is overpowering and there is definitely some bacon but the maple was too weak to balance it out. So the two dominating flavors I got were salty bacon and medicinal smokiness which is about as pleasant as you would imagine.

Mouthfeel-Nothing special a little carbonation but it goes away quickly. The taste was kind of poor so I was more focused on that.

Overall- Not blaming Rogue because in retrospect this is a flavor that would be hard to pull off but it is a bad beer. The only reason you might want to try it would be to say you did.

3.4/5  rDev +21.4%

Tried half the bottle on it's own, which wasn't bad; However this was mainly used for beer floats during an episode of "The Walking Dead." The floats were awesome with Vanilla Bean.

I wouldn't purchase another bottle of Voodoo unless it was for floats, which it is very good with.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales