Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,663
3.58/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: hazy amber in color, pours 1 inch of thick off-white head that fades quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: maple, bacon, smokey, smoked malt, maple bar.

Taste: bacon, maple, smoked malt, hicory.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good carbonation, a bit astringent.

Overall: love the maple doughnut, love the bacon, just don't think they work very well together. This tastes like two good beers mixed to form something that is not greater than the sum of its parts. (467 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Pours clear amber into my snifter with about two fingers of head and has minimal retention and lacing.

S - Smoked malts and maple/caramel sweetness. So yes smokey bacon and maple is what you get.

T - Smokey malts are awesome, the bacon concept really comes through, lots of smokey wood notes, caramel malts are present and a maple sweetness comes through as well.

M - Medium/light body, low carbonation.

O - For a unique smoked beer variation this was pretty awesome! I really didn't perceive myself caring for it, but it delivered exactly what it promised and it tasted good at the same time. For sure a love it or hate beer though... (643 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -21.4%

From a pink-enameled 750 ml brown bottle, abv. is listed as 7% on the import tag on the bottle. Pours out a hazed orange hue, with a couple of finger's width of spongy off-white head that retains to a thick cap.

Big whiff of maple and honey ham when the bottle is first uncapped. Hickory smoke on the nose, more of a ham character than bacon, sweet maple notes.

Woody mesquite character up front in the flavour, something of a curious honey glazed ham-like character in the middle, some mild leafy hops and smokey charred wood on the finish. A maple sweetness tends to coat the lips after a while. First impression was so-so but after several more sips there is no cohesion or harmony to it.

Lighter bodied mouthfeel, something of a slippery texture across the palate, mild carbonation.

Nothing about this experiment jives with me, except for the concept--the final result just doesn't work or deliver the goods, or at least not in a harmonious and palatable manner. Once again I was sucked into the hype, and the limited availability around these parts, and forked over far too much money for a big pink bottle of disappointment. On that front I'm not sure who is really to blame in this situation: Rogue for selling the lure of a seemingly enchanting prospect, or me for getting suckered in once again and buying into it. Chalk a point up for Rogue's marketing dep't.... (1,376 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -27.5%

Bottle shared with Alucard4. Thank god he was there to help with this or half the bottle would have went down the drain

Look: Dark orangish body with a 1/2 inch off white head and good retention

Smell: Copious amounts of smoked wood upfront which is very off putting. Hidden behind the smoked is some caramel and maple undertones

Taste: The taste is as unique as it gets. Upfront is a bunch of smoked wood with some light vanilla notes behind that. The beer finishes with definitely some bacon covered in maple syrup. Now this may all sound amazing but let me re-assure it's not. I can't even describe how for a lack of better words bad this was

Mouthfeel: Just under a medium body and a fair amount of carbonation

Overall: Having had the doughnut the beer is modeled after I can honestly say this nothing like the doughnut. This took me 45 minutes to suck down my 10oz pour and it maybe have been some of the worst 45 minutes of my life. I could not drink this again (972 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -53.4%

Thanks to Black13 for this. The 22oz pink bottle does not have a "bottled-on" date. Poured into a crystal, stemmed water glass.

Appearance- I fully expected this to be a lot darker. Porter-like is what I was expecting. But, instead, it is a caramel/reddish color. Light tan head the dissipates quickly. No lacing. 3/5

Smell- Sweet cola aroma from far away. Maple donut dominates with a imitation smoke flavor in the background. The smoke aroma, although small, is not pleasant after a minute. 2/5

Taste- Here is where the smoke takes over. Not in a good way. The sweet maple donut that was in the aroma is in the background this time. Shame. The smoke makes this a beer that is only interesting in very small doses. A little goes a long way. The after taste is atrocious and stays with you long than you wish it to. 1/5

Mouthfeel- Not a thin mouthfeel per se, but I think it would benefit from a little more feel. 2/5

Overall- A novelty of a beer for sure. That is about it. I would not recommend. I have had the maple bacon donut and liked it, but I think that is because it had actual bacon on it and not an imitation smoke flavoring that you buy at the grocery store drizzled on top. The label says it is brewed with bacon, and smoked malts, but it comes out as an imitation flavor. 1/5 (1,295 characters)

1.14/5  rDev -63.6%

Graciously (or maliciously?) shared at Fluff at the last Jackie O's release, review from notes.

Pours very light in color; for whatever reason we all expected this to be much darker, and possibly clouded. Amber with a fickle head of soapy clear bubbles.

Ouch! Well, the aroma on this bottle is pure phenols. Band-Aid and solvent. No sweetness, no maple, no doughnut, no beer... something went terribly wrong here, and I think it is rancid meat or an overuse of smoked malt...

The flavor is equally disturbing. Bubble gum. Ash. More solvent-y phenols.

Dry mouthfeel. Utterly undrinkable.

Overall I am so happy that I got a free pour of this, as I originally wanted a bottle to myself. I feel so sorry though for all of those locals who had to buy this stuff by the case. This is one dozen donuts where the baker can keep the 13th... (838 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +51.4%

Got this as part of a trade with hoparoundnw2337.

A - Gogeous dark amber with a cloudy unfiltered look.

S - WOOOW!! So much aroma to this beer! Tons of sweet maple syrup and smokey bacon.

T - If you don't like the taste of maple syrup don't buy this beer. I for one love maple syrup and this beer tastes just like some smoked bacon dipped in awesome Oregon maple syrup. The sweet syrup flavor comes first with the smokey bacon coming in late and lasting forever.

M - Nothing special here. nice body to it, not to thin, not to thick. Good carbonation, making it very drinkable.

O - This beer is a very different spin on a beer style that for the most part is very plain. The range of flavors are incredible. I for one appreciate the creativeness it took to create this beer. (778 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%

My first review on BeerAdvocate.

I bought this for a Christmas White elephant gift. I later reclaimed it for myself.

Appearance: Golden in color looks very nice.

Smell: Smells of Smoke and Bacon not really great for a beer but it is a "Bacon" flavored beer so what did I expect.

Taste: The body is fine if a little sweet. The aftertaste is what makes this beer a drain poor. The aftertaste is like a slaughter house full of Bacon and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Nothing too noteworthy maybe slightly more thick than an average beer.

I'm pretty disappointed only my second drain poor ever. The first being a 12 pack of Durango Ice which cost me 1/3 the price of this bomber.

I'm not sure how Rogue let this out the door. I love their Hazelnut Brown but this definitely hurts their reputation.

Do yourself a Favor and pass on this and pick yourself up 2 Hazelnut Brown bombers with money to spare. (894 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass:

A: Looks like an ale! Retention is medium, without much lacing or carbonation.

S: Smells like a maple doughnut with bacon sprinkles, smoked in an oven. Appetizing in general but something is amiss. I think the smoke overpowers the other appealing features.

T: Surprisingly bearable. Smoked bacon and maple. Sweet, and a touch tasty initially. But like the smell, something is amiss and I find myself not really enjoying after a few sips.

M: Medium body. Light carbonation. Doesn't stand out as particularly interesting.

O: Rogue produces some outstanding beers but I wasn't a big fan of this one. (646 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Typical ale appearance with a clear light brown color. It has a rocky white had that has decent retention. Appears very still.

S: It smells exactly how it is described. Bacon, very sweet maple syrup, a smokey characteristic, and doughnuts. Very odd and not very appetizing to me. Too much sweet maple.

T: Toned down from the aroma. It is much better than the smell. The sweetness is muted and makes it more drinkable. The other smokey and bacon qualities are present. Not great, but not terrible.

M: Nothing spectacular when it comes to the feel. Pretty standard, light medium bodied, average carbonation, sort of watery.

O: This seemed sort of like a gimmick beer. I won't be picking this up again, but it doesn't really change my opinion of Rogue. Still one of my favorite breweries. (838 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Shared this bad boy with a couple of my best friends. It was... an experience. Got a little back story. Poured the first 3/4 of the bottle, smelled and tasted above average... however, all the darkness, smokiness, and bacon bits (yes, bacon bits in the beer) stayed on the bottle. We drank about 1/2 the bottle, we poured in the rest, and ruined it. So I'm gonna make a before (B) and after (A) final pour.

A - (B) Hazy brown, reminded me of a plain, fried doughnut. Nice finger/finger and a half of head. Lacy. (A) Dog vomit in a glass, bacon bits completed the image.

S - (B) Smells like maple syrup. No joke. Striaght maple fking syrup(A) Made me wanna pour it out. Wasn't too offensive, but was unappealing.

T - (B) Slighty smokey, bready doughnuttyness, maple syrup sweetness finishes it off, tasty. But where's the bacon? (A) Oh, there it is. Chunky greasiness and all. Slighty vomit inducing, tastes like drinking campfire concentrate.

M - (B) Decently smooth, drinkable. (A) Sticky, thick, grease feeling, clinging to the mouth like a facehugger from Alien. Get it off!

O - Unique attempt, decent beer if you avoid the final 1/4 bottle. Share it, for god's sake. You will want to. Trust me. (1,203 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -56.2%

Received a 22oz. bottle as a Christmas gift.

I have to admit that I was incredibly disapointed, I"m a big Rogue fan; and I've loved everything of theirs that I ever had--until now.

Somethings are better as an idea, than a reality, and this beer is one of them!

On the bright side, as is no surprise with a Rogue product; the quality of product and ingredients is high. Color, clairity and head retention were all great.

But, this was simply the right execution of the wrong idea. The maple was extremely dominant and it was sickningly sweet. Juxtaposed to a usual Rogue offering; where I'm looking for another one--I was seeking a tactful way to dump the remainder of my glass. (681 characters)

Got this beer as a present from an Oregon friend. Wanted to try it despite the mixed reviews regarding it.

Appearance: Reddish Amber with fine bubbles and creamy Caramel-colored head. Little lacing is left after the pour
Nose: Complex and natural bacon smell, strong but not overly agressive smoke smell (sweet smokiness). Delicious and potent maple syrup odor.
Taste: Multi-faceted smoke flavour that does not tire the palate. Woody, apple bacon flavour with a last after-taste. Slightly oaked and malty whisky flavor. Bitterness in the back of the tongue
Mouthfeel: Juicy, syrupy consistency that matches the style well.

Overall very impressed with this beer, I came in with lower expectations as to how good the beer might be. It would pair absolutely amazingly with a good pancake, eggs and bacon breakfast and a nice coffee. It has some filling unctuous qualities that make you want to eat with it, yet it does not fall heavily on the stomach. With reservation: it's not for everyone; not all will like the delicious yet somewhat odd pairing of bacon inside beer. (1,070 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to Andrew for bringing this back from the west coast!

Pours a clear amber honey color with a thin white head that eventually fades to a thin ring and a few bubbles. Looks pretty average.

The nose is pretty much what you would expect from the title. Maple and bacon. The smoked malt definitely makes you think there is some meat in here. However, there is a light metallic note on the back, kind of like steel shavings.

The flavor is a good mixture of smoked malt and maple sweetness. Nice wood notes, cherrywood and hickory. Much like the nose, this starts off pretty well, but the end lingers with a weird vegetal taste.

Mouthfeel is fairly smooth with light, tingly, carbonation. I think this beer would benefit from a heftier body, to complement the sweet and smokey flavors, but it's not too bad as is.

Overall, this beer has a few flaws, but in general it succeeds in bringing out some tasty maple and bacon flavors. I probably wouldn't pick this up again, but if Rogue reworked the recipe a bit I'd probably give it another try. (1,047 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +29.1%

Appearance. Pours a lightly hazy, deep orange-amber with a finger of thick looking, slightly amber-tinted head.

Smell. Okay, I recently had a maple bacon donut from Frost in Mill Creek, WA (it was delicious ...really!) and this is what it smelled like. I didn't even associate that recent delicacy with this beer until I got that smell again. Remarkable ...but as a beer, hmmm. Anyways, full marks for nailing the smell. I was skeptical before eating that donut as well, and it turned out to be life changing ;-)

Taste. Smoke and just a bit of caramel malts to begin with. Maple comes through in the middle followed by some real bacon and smoky wood that lingers in the mouth a while. Not bad, really.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body with below medium carbonation.

Overall. Well, for a novelty this wasn't half bad. I would drink it again for sure. Love the ugly pink 750 and it's graphics. Good choice to crack this one for brunch on a lazy day. (949 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +31.6%

I actually like this. I think it delivers what it promises. There are definite smokey bacon notes, strong hints of maple and a noticeable sweetness that reminds me of fresh Krispy Kremes.

Shocking orange colour with a nice white head. Smoked meat - i.e. bacon - in the nose, maple notes, and sweet, sweet malts. Dough, hints of vanilla.

Strong smoked malt flavour when cold, but as this warms, the maple bacon flavours dominate, with a light, doughy malt background. Forget hops - this is all malts.

Good mouthfeel, low carb. Great beer to finish the night with.

Side note - bottle says 30 degrees Lovibond, which would put it in the colour range of a porter...not sure how Rogue came up with that. (703 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very cloudy orange amber color with almost no head at all beyond a thin layer of tan bubbles.

S: Aroma is almost humorous in its likeness; maple syrup, sausage, sweet maltiness, it’s a lot like a breakfast from Denny’s.

T/M: Carbonation is reasonably high and is the first thing that hits your mouth, much more bubbly than it looks. It’s a little tricky after that; smoky malts, more sausage and maple syrup, dry malt, a bit thin on the back of the tongue.

I was wholly anticipating a dark stout so it’s a little surprising, but based on the mediocre reviews I’ve read, it’s actually not that bad. Unfortunately, the “bacon” is a lot meatier, like sausage links would be, and I don’t get any of the “doughnut” beyond some pastry-like maltiness. This is largely a product of its marketing and it’s obvious the beer plays second fiddle to the concept, but it’s still drinkable. It’s not ideal, but it’s very, very clever. I think I would love to have one of these for breakfast.

TheBeerAlmanac.com (1,071 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

This was a drain pour - I think they got the maple and bacon flavorings somewhat correct although far too overpowering. However, the base beer is underwhelming - it doesn't hold up or add anything to those flavors. This beer lacks body and complexity so about half way through a glass I was already bored and looking how to dispose of it. (338 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

1031st Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
750 ML

2011 Release
Purchased from Bevmo, Chino Hills. $12.99

App- A falling dark orange/amber/red to a light orange/yellow on the bottom with a one finger very fast receding off white head with some tan tinge to it.

Smell- A very thick smoke note like a campfire with burnt bacon and a maple tinge to it. A bit stringent on the nose with some burnt plastic like an outboard motor firing up. However, with all those adjectives. I didnt find it offensive it was just kinda there.

Taste- Much of the flavor envelops from the smoked malts and a little of the Munich on the opening flavors. Following this is the maple extract notes and a touch of the bacon. I'll call it a tad bitter with maybe a touch of bubbly yeast. I will say it wasn't really as creamy as it needed to be to really make this work, but its not as horrible as some of the 1's or 1.5's some are dropping on this.

Mouth- A pretty light medium body with a fairly light-medium carbonation. It does leave a bit of smoky bacon char and wood notes. Less of the maple comes out residually.

Drink- I was very excited to try this one. I've seen many shows on Food network about the doughnut and one day I will try it. For now I will say that this needed to be more light a cream ale with some smoke, bacon and maple to really make this work. A tad more sweetness would have been nice as well. I probably wont have this one again, but it was worth a shot. (1,452 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -53%

750 mL bottle sent to me by ramnuts, shared with my tasting group in what was interpreted as a clear-cut gesture of my contempt for them.

A: Pours a hazy burnt orange that would be fairly nice, all things considered, with a little more milkiness and some more head. I tend to like cloudy beers of this shade.

S: It delivers exactly what you'd expect: some maple and enough smoke to border on hammy, bacon-like aromas. Mildly salty and woody. The effect was a little reminiscent of garbage that has been left in my apartment over a warm weekend: it smells like things that were once food that have been left to mingle and have started to turn.

T: Smoked wood that mimics bacon flavors. A touch of maple is found in the finish, but since this beer has been sitting around a while, I would guess that flavor is starting to fall off. Other than that, there is a mild caramel presence and basically nothing else. Not a lot going on.

M: No finish to the beer; it just trails off the palate.

O: I have a hard time understanding how this beer is 'average.' It's a pretty clear demonstration of a trainwreck and a fascinating exercise in disappointment. I wonder what compelled them to charge $11 for this and mandate a case minimum, but that it went into distribution so quickly is a hilarious testament to how badly their gambit misfired. (1,340 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Pours a light reddish brown with an ample off white head which recedes to a small pool
S: Smells of smoke, bacon, and maple syrup. very nice
T: Tastes of smoke, a hint of bacon and just a wisp of maple. very smoke forward. Smoky bacony aftertaste with a kiss of maple. Kind of simple but not bad
M: full bodied with adequate carbonation, kind of slick when swallowing
O: Very different, I wish the maple and bacon was a bit more forward in the flavor. Pretty tasty though. (476 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -34.2%

Bottle generously shared by Arbitrator.

Hazy with a rust hue, little head formation. Smells like wood smoke and salty meat, cheap pancake syrup, caramel malt. The scent of smoke and bacon is pretty overpowering, and almost overshadows the maple. The palate is surprisingly bland, dominated by woodsmoke, bacon and a dry maple flavor. Body is oddly thin, finish is woody, smoky and unpleasantly salty. Not as horrid as I was expecting, but nowhere near good. (458 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL pink bottle,

A: Pours a medium red amber with a moderate fizzy white head, some lace, good head retention, looks like a Rogue beer.

S: Smells like maple bars and BBQ smoke, an intriguing mix which I quite liked.

T: Tastes a lot like American Amber, has that typical Rogue pacman yeast with crystal malt base. Some smoke for sure with a hint of sugar in the finish. Not bad tasting, but nowhere near the promise of the nose.

M: Fairly light-bodied, a thin mouthfeel overall. Has some carbonic feel, sweet in the end.

O: When I saw this at my local BevMo I had to pick it up because of its uniqueness. In the end it's really not big enough to carry all the components I expected. It does smell like maple and bacon and that's great, but I want the taste to deliver it. It's not a terrible beer, but it's greatly overpriced. I'd say maybe try this once for its uniqueness, but not something to try if you want a maple bar bacon explosion in your mouth. (961 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into my tumbler and saw a great orange color, lots of bubbles that dissipated quickly. Great color when looking at it through a light.

S- Smells smokey and sweet at the same time, almost like candied bacon smells like. Maple syrup as well. But this smell is not a strong smell, its fairly weak but still very nice.

T- the taste comes on slightly weaker than i expected when i smelled it. But to me, that is a good thing because if the flavor was stronger i would never finish the entire bottle. The flavor starts with a matly sweet taste, that moves into a smoked bacon flavor that lingers on you pallet. Its a pretty good smoked beer in my opinion.

M- watery, and smooth. Not a exciting mouthfeel

O- This is a good unique smoked beer. It is a great novelty and something that you want to try just by seeing the bottle. I upped my original overall rating because of how easy it was to drink, considering the flavor and type of beer. Like i said, if this was a stronger more pork like beer, i would have rated it down.

This is something a craft beer fan should try. Its unique and wont drink something like this all the time. Rogue did a good job making a difficult beer, and i commend them. And hell if you dont like it at least you have an awesome bottle to keep right?? (1,287 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +23.6%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium dark amber with a tint of maple brown syrup color. Slightly hazy. One finger off white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Maple syrup pretty big upfront. Smoked meat is also very present, and smells very good. Some touches of caramel coming through. Smells like an awesome pancake, smoked bacon and sausage, all drizzled in maple syrup, cooked over a campfire, breakfast.

T: Slight sweet caramel and maple upfront. Smokey bacon and ham flavors in the middle. Not a huge smokiness. The maple comes through a lot more in the finish.

M: Pretty thin. Verging on watery. Medium carbonation. Slight crispness.

O: They actually pulled this off a little. Was much better than I was expecting. Definitely different and not an everyday beer at all, but decent and interesting. (822 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales