Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Rogue Farms Roguenbier Rye - Rogue Ales

Roggenbier |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 11-17-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Shared a 220z bottle with a friend drank out of a imperial pint glass.

A:Pours a nut brown color and a touch cloudy but still fairly clear spot on for the style,
Nice creamy head with great lacing.

S:Good Spicy/ Sour Rye malt notes some with some American hop aroma on top.
I do get a little green apple on the back end that I am not a fan of which could be caused by the yeast (I hope). for a weizen yeast surprised I don't get any clove or banana notes... cold ferment maybe ???? low to no smoke.

T: Super Spicy Rye malt character followed with a nice hope bitterness Low smokey flavors and a sour tinge that also comes from the rye malt very typical of the style. I do also get a touch of the green apple (Acetaldehyde) on the flavor as well.

M: Medium body that finishes with a dry snap (again from the rye) Good carbonation medium high perfect for the style. No astringency.

O: Its nice to see someone trying to bring back this somewhat lost style to the Americas. I personally Love a good rye beer and a great roggenbier is also nice to get a hold of however the Green Apple flaw is the main point where this beer fell short. If not for that I would be much more excited by it. If you see it pick it up its worth a try at least so you can try history in a bottle.
Cheers (1,282 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bottle served cold in pint glass. Beer pours a rich chestnut brown with a similarly creamy tan head. Beer transmits very little light but appears not at all turbid. Lagery fresh hop aroma.

Beer fills the mouth with a creamy texture and loaded with rye grain flavor. There's also a substantial NW US hop contribution to bitterness (from the Rogue Hopyard, according to the label). Rye contributes a sour/bitter note to beer which gives the impression of higher IBUs than are actually there -- 25, again, according to the label.

The carbonation here is moderate which works well with the really creamy mouthfeel. Alcohol (not listed) appears to be quite reasonable, I'd guess under 6% by volume. Really the only thing limiting the drinkability of this beer is how much rye you can take.

This beer really showcases the rye's grain profile. By itself that quality will probably make this beer a cult favorite and despised by others. But this beer is also the CDA of rye beers, judging from color and aromatic profile. And a good CDA at that. (1,045 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -48.2%

Got this beer in a bottle, and the labeling is strangely missing its ABV rating. The bottle itself has a clever painted-on / water-graphic label though, not a paper one.

The initial smell was heavy smoke with a belgian ester finish, not what I was expecting. The label does indicate weizen yeast, though.

The hops are listed at 25 on the bottle, but the hops are very present in the beer. For the heavy smoked malt and belgian notes being present, the sheer volume of hops put it up around 60-75 IBU's in my opinion.

Mouthfeel was medium-body, and there was more than sufficient carbonation.

I don't really know what they were thinking with this beer. It reminds me a lot of the infamous voodoo donut beer. If you loved that beer, and you love belgians and IPAs and you wanted everything to come together in one bottle, you might love this beer. I didn't... and thus I don't.

This was the last beer I drank last night, and after brushing my teeth and waking up the next day, I can still taste it. Much like cigars, the smoked malt will linger for over 12 hours in your mouth, even through brushing.

TLDR: A heavily smoked belgian IPA with a tart red-apple bitterness that you will taste the next morning. (1,215 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Picked this one up tonight at the COOP for $6 and change.. poured into my slim tulip.. 1" tan head.. good retention.. only decent lacing... the brew is slightly hazed chestnut brown..

Nose is very odd IMHO.. sorta smokey... sorta yeasty phenolic.. maybe even some yeasty banana esters... very odd... not getting anything in the realm of "rye"..

Flavor is also very damn weird... for something highlighting "rye" the brewers seem to do a lot to mask the distinctive nature of the grain... a phenolic note begins right up front and lingers for easily :30 on the finish.. combine the phenols with the smokey malt element and it honestly reminds me of burning plastic (NOT NECESSARILY A BAD THING, JUST DESCRIBING WHAT I TASTE).. other flavors of note, very earthy... minor hoppiness pulls things back a bit.

Body is a bit light side of medium.. carbonation is the expected Rogue perfect bubbly.

I don't remember the last time I had a beer that was this much of a "Thinker". I personally normally don't care for anything with smoked malt or aged in peaty scotch barrels.. but the minor smoke notes really work with the surrounding earthy elements.. The minor hops are earthy too..

Interesting for sure... Definitely belongs in the "Autumn catalog of beers", honestly much more than any "cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and no real pumpkin used brew, but we're gonna call it a 'pumpkin' beer anyway" brew.

One last observation... and this is probably my feeble palate.. but the odd use of the smoke malt and the Hefe yeast really masked what could have been a chance to highlight Rogue's hard-earned proprietary rye... Just sayin'

3.5's across the board.... I wish I could have given higher numbers, but personal preference definitely came into play with this bottle. (1,765 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last