Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale

poor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage
to view more.
Ratings: 743 | Reviews: 126
3.4/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

The blend of chocolate, banana, and peanut butter made the beer have a pleasant taste.

1.28/5  rDev -54.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Don't even know where to begin. This beer is absolutely disgusting. I imagine toilet water to be about as appetizing.

4.5/5  rDev +61.3%

I completely understand why everyone hates this beer. I didn't really truly love it myself, despite what my rating says. However, like any other beer, I feel it's fair to rate according to many metrics, and for the metric of "did this beer accomplish what it set out to do?" I have no choice but to rate it very highly. Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter? This is not a combination I'd necessarily aim for. But they absolutely nailed it.

2.83/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's different. I don't know what to think of this.

3.23/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Decent beer, I enjoyed the novelty

2.09/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

This is easily the worst beer I've ever had! And for the price!!! Never again will I buy ANY voodoo series beers!

3.01/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a dark black color. Crazy aroma of chocolate and banana. Reminds me of those half banana, half chocolate lollipops from Mexico.

The taste is crazy also, with roasted malt and peanut butter melding into some Cocoa flavor finishing with banana. Vanilla flavors arise due to all the sweetness. Banana flavor tends to grow as I drink. Slight doughy sweetness in the finish also. This beer is a schizophrenic journey to flavor town. The downside is the near cloying sweetness, but it certainly is more of a dessert. A one of a kind concoction, the roasted malt adds much needed contrast. Extreme beer.

Light bodied, thinner mouthfeel. Overall, this is a unique dessert beer. A bit on the sweet side just like the whole voodoo doughnut line of beers, but that's ok, it would taste worse if this were highly hopped.

1.75/5  rDev -37.3%

looked and smelled good, but had zero body, and a horrible taste

2.04/5  rDev -26.9%

Glad I only got one.

4.2/5  rDev +50.5%

I liked it just fine, couldn't rate it anything other than poor without a review, which is stupid.

3.4/5  rDev +21.9%

Banana esters, peanut butter in aroma. Chocolate, with lightly fruity notes. Flavor is similar, with a bitter finish. There's an off fruity and floral tone. Peanut butter lingers in aftertaste.

It tastes like banana flavored runts (that horrible candy developed in the 80s).

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 750 mL bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a very dark brown with 2-3 inch dark tan head with good retention.
S: Chocolate is immediately apparent. Peanut butter and a banana-like note are in the background.
T: Chocolate, peanut butter, and that fake banana note...which makes the entire taste seem off.
M: Light body. Very sweet...overly sweet. I guess that's what they were going for, so they at least get partial credit.
D: Some may get a kick out of this wacky beer. For me, it's a bust.

3.44/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The Voodoo is an interesting beer to say the least. The beer poured an opaque dark with thin ecru head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent carried Hershey like chocolate and banana bread....not getting much peanut butter. The taste was mostly weak chocolate. The mouthfeel was light in body (which for this beer style I would prefer a medium to fuller body) with smooth carbonation. Overall its interesting...and not over the top.

3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

A high school classmate and contemporary drinking buddy, Mike, came over last night and we laid waste to a bunch of bombers. Bombers are a real sticking point in my backlog as I do not like to drink them by myself. I could, but I like when others help me to do so. This one came from The Fridge and went into my fridge.

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Tres & Cat Daddy, the rogues of Voodoo Doughnuts."

I popped off the "oxygen-fixing" cap and gave each of us a generous pour. Following the pseudo-cascade, I had a finger of light-tan head with decent retention. Color was a solid dark-brown (SRM = 44), although they identified it as 75 Lovibond. I have a handle on SRM, so I am not going to try to learn Lovibond unless I have to. Nose definitely gave off banana esters, but accompanied by a maple syrup and an odd fried-doughnut quality. I was now gearing up for unrelenting sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste was sweet, all right, but chocolate and banana were about it. Finish was likewise sweet and the peanut butter made a brief appearance at the end, but it might as well have had an asterisk next to it on the label for as much as it mattered. A definite novelty.

2.88/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

i appreciate the innovation and the idea, and the other two of these have been downright delicious and well done, but this one is a bit of a miss. some age on the bottle, so maybe my banana has faded, but i didnt taste it at all. worse, i didnt get any peanut butter, maybe a slight generic nuttiness, but nothing but a greasy texture and some sweet malt on this for me. chocolate yes, its all in the nose and finish, but the sweet grain makes it tough to appreciate all the way. i get no banana whatsoever, not even from the yeast, which may have been the best way to get those esters in here. worse yet, its alcoholic and not even that strong, it stings and it stinks, i just dont care for it. as it finishes i get a little more of the peanut butter, but its not really compatible like it is in other beers that have come around. its contrived, not real genuine, and just a sloppy mess of flavors that never gel. it may have been better when it first came out, but its well past being reasonable. i will likely keep buying these beers, only out of curiosity, but this is the worst of the three by far.

2.94/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

After sitting in my fridge for about a year, I finally got up the nerve to crack open a bottle of this stuff. I had the Bacon Maple beer that Rogue did awhile back. It was weird but not terribly awful, so I was hesitant how well Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Banana would mesh with beer.

Upon my first sip, I got a a nice chocolate taste with a hint of peanut butter. I'm definitely not getting much of the banana. With subsequent sips, the chocolate flavor became less pronounced and got more a bitter flavor, that wasn't too pleasant.

Overall, not awful, but I don't think I'd get this beer again. But I know whenever Rogue does a new Voodoo Doughnut beer, I'll be sure to try it out of curiosity.

3.52/5  rDev +26.2%

A- pours nearly opaque black with a small creamy light-tan head that retains nicely, leaving behind big patches of lace

S- big chocolate aroma up front is very reminiscent of their chocolate stout, definitely picking up the peanut butter, although subtle. There's a sweetness that almost smells like grape jelly as well. Having trouble picking up the banana aroma

T- artificial berry-like sweetness at the beginning, transitions into a milk chocolate mid-palate with slightly roasted malt smokiness, the peanuts don't actually become noticeable until the finish, it gives more of a toasted peanut flavor on the linger. The banana is hard to pick up, perhaps I'm confusing the berry sweetness with what is actually banana?

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a super thin and watery mouthfeel, smooth finish

O- Judging by the ratings, I didn't have high hopes for this one, but I actually liked it. The mouthfeel was the only thing holding it back, as it was way to thin. Still enjoyable overall.

2.34/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Ok pours a nice dark brown with a thick head. Initial smell is a little sweet. Not a strong smell so I take another whiff and the first thought is that the smell is off putting. A big turn off. Smell is very artificial. Taste has no sweetness at all. I can't detect any banana, peanut butter or chocolate. Then I look at the label and it says "donut". Then I try to imagine this beer as a donut. Starts to make a little sense but I can't get over the off putting/ artificial smell. The smell is very familiar similar to a Wells beer. The only thing going for this is the cool pink painted bottle. This beer is not worth the $10 I paid.

1.14/5  rDev -59.1%

A: Pours a dark brown color with a one finger chocolate head that dissipates quickly with sudsy lacing.
S: I can only pick up on the banana. Very imitational and overpowering.
T: Bananas, Light peanut butter and chocolate that turns into a metallic water flavor quickly.
M: Light and very sticky on the palate.
O: The banana is very overpowering. I would like to have seen more chocolate. One of the worst beers I've had. This was a drain pour!

3.51/5  rDev +25.8%

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg

A- crayon black with a brown foamy head that is mountainous and leaves a nice sticky lacing on my mug. Quite opaque and looks inviting.

S- I don't really get any nose in this. I get faint hits of peanut butter and some roasted malts. Pretty disappointed so far.

F- I get dark chocolate and something similar to pilsner malts. Cocoa and roasted coffee come through as well. I do get hints and I mean faint hints of banana and peanut butter but nothing exciting. Ahh wait...after a few more swigs the banana is coming through a little better but still...

M- creamy and heavy bodied brew. The mouthfeel is actually the best part of this beer. It goes down smooth.

O- I expected more from this beer because it has been talked about around here for the past few months and I was let down a little bit. Not a bad beer but not great.

3.48/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not really sure where all the dislike comes from for this beer. Out of the Voodoo line, I liked this one the best but here's the big key to this beer...let it breath!

Drinking this straight out of the fridge, it's extremely 'closed' and bitter. But let that bugger sit for 10-15 minutes and it's like drinking a Saturday morning. The flavors come alive and mix quite well. The mouthfeel is there initially but dissipates quickly and the end does come across as a tad 'watery' but I still feel this is a good, interesting beer to try. I wouldn't drink it all the time, but I could certainly drink it on occasion.

2.75/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer pours a murky dark brown color with a small amount of off-white head. Looks like you would expect, nothing crazy, not much lacing going on.

On the nose its pretty mild, can't really pick out the pacman yeast at all which I was expecting to dominate the nose. Doesn't have anything really distinct that comes out, just kind of subtle malts.

Flavor wise, its got alot going on. Can't really say thats a good thing though, there is a slight hint of banana, some nuttiness that comes in at the end with a really long, lingering aftertaste. I couldn't pick out any chocolate/coffee notes or anything that resembled a stout/porter.

There is really interesting kind of mouthfeel, if you were to eat a waffle with creamy peanut butter on it, thats a really good explanation of what is like drinking this beer. It doesn't really go down smooth at all, its almost harsh on the finish, not from the abv or any kind of flavor. Its not really thick, but it just kind of sticks in your throat.

I can't say this beer is very good, especially coming from rogue, but it was *interesting*. Wouldn't bother drinking it again.

3.37/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Nearly black with a lighter head.

Smell: Smelled of chocolate malts and slightly fruity.

Taste: This beer is pretty different. I did not taste doughnut or peanut butter one bit, but the banana and chocolate were definitely there. Sort of a synthetic banana taste but it goes well with the chocolate and malty finish.

Mouthfeel: sweet then bitter, rather smooth.

Overall: Its a good different taste and i would recommend it to the chocolate banana lover. overall i liked it and would drink it again, different but unique, in a good way.

4.12/5  rDev +47.7%

Pours black with a mocha head from a pepto bismol colored bottle.

S: Banana dominates the nose, but chocolate and peanut butter also make an appearance in the nose.

T: Banana up front, some sweetness, chocolate in the finish. Just a touch of peanut butter.

M: Medium bodied and smoothish.

O: I am really going against the tide with this rating, but I really liked it. Was it disappointing? Yes. Can I see why some might find the idea of it disgusting? Yes. Ultimately I feel like the flavors just weren't strong enough and didn't blend right. I still enjoyed the beer.

to view more.