Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage
4.9/5  rDev +69%

I guess to each their own. I really loved this beer. It poured nice and dark like a stout with a nice latte like creamy brown head. The taste was quite different but very good. It kind of reminded me of when I make myself peanut butter banana protein shakes with chocolate protein powder. Overall I'd drink it again. I only docked half a point off the overall due to the price of this beer. 15 bucks for one bomber just seems a bit steep to me.

4.5/5  rDev +55.2%

I completely understand why everyone hates this beer. I didn't really truly love it myself, despite what my rating says. However, like any other beer, I feel it's fair to rate according to many metrics, and for the metric of "did this beer accomplish what it set out to do?" I have no choice but to rate it very highly. Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter? This is not a combination I'd necessarily aim for. But they absolutely nailed it.

4.45/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy this brew. I'm not one for the mixing in of fruits. I like my beers dark, thick and often roasted. But this is different and I like it. It starts with a sutle chocolate and ends with a bang of banana, and I light peanut butter flavor. I can actually smell it more than taste it.

I enjoy this very much and it one of my normal drinker.

4.23/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark red-brown colour, murky. Head is pale beige, nice small bubbles but a bit thin. Decent, though.

Fucking intense aroma, but I love it. Huge vanilla-bean smell with cinnamon, Benedictine and chocolate liqueur. Utterly unique. Amazing.

Taste is more mellow. Vanilla again, with big cocoa-rich chocolate, some cinnamon and a touch of cardamom. Disappointingly weak at the back though. Sort of runs out of steam, like we're done with the flavour, enjoy raising the kids on your own now I'm done orgasming in your senses. Still that flavour upfront is great. I have no regrets.

Smooth, fluid mouthfeel. No complaints.

I tasted this blind, and have a feeling this will be right up there with my most positive deviations from the norm. But I found this an outstandingly idiosyncratic beer. Amazing flavours just socking you all right up in your tastebuds. No regrets. No complaints.

4.19/5  rDev +44.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours very dark brown, almost black, with little head an little retention. Still has decent lacing. Peanut butter & chocolate are evident in the nose, but I'm not picking up any banana. Follows through in taste. Goes down super sooth. No aftertaste. A solid stout. Not as sweet as the bacon maple edition. I like both, but I think the bacon maple version is superior.

4.14/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep-deep cola brown color with a one finger tan colored head composed of tons of fizzy bubbles. The head fades rather rapidly leaving some foamy lace on the sides of the glass and islands of foam on the top of the brew.

Smell – The aroma is huge of a sweet, somewhat artificial banana smell. The banana reminds me of the scent of banana runts, and before tasting made me think I was going to be having a sweet candy like brew. Complementing the banana nicely is a peanut butter smell which mixed with a doughy smell to produce a somewhat peanut butter banana sandwich aroma. Along with these aromas are some other lighter smells of a cocoa nature as well as some sugary toffee smells and a little bit of coffee. Actually, even though the banana was somewhat artificial in nature, the aroma was very appealing overall.

Taste – While the taste was relatively sweet, it was not nearly as I would have anticipated from the noise and was actually more roasty tasting then what anticipated. The taste begins with a brown sugar and toffee flavor mixed with a nice lighter banana and cocoa flavor. Along with these flavors there was also a sweet doughy taste which creates a nice base for the flavors of the brew. As the taste moves on, the banana get more pronounced and takes on a somewhat banana runt like flavor as would be anticipated from the nose. More toward the end, some peanut flavors come to the tongue, nicely complimenting the cocoa and banana flavors of the brew. With the increase in the drier cocoa flavors as well as the peanut butter flavor and a newly encountered coffee flavor that comes to the tongue at the end, a moderately sweet (but not too sweet) roasted coffee and cocoa peanut butter runt like banana doughnut flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that is rather average. The higher carbonation was rather nice for the sweeter and banana flavors of the brew, but a bit more body may have given it a nice thicker and chewier feel, nicely accentuating the roasted and
“doughnut” like characteristics of the brew.

Overall – This was really quite an enjoyable novelty brew. While somewhat artificial in banana, it had a nice candy like smell and flavor that melded well with the darker and roasted doughnut like characteristics of the brew. While I was not a fan of the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon ale, the Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate banana and peanut butter ale is delicious and even although it is rather overpriced it is one you should likely try at least once.

4.12/5  rDev +42.1%

Pours black with a mocha head from a pepto bismol colored bottle.

S: Banana dominates the nose, but chocolate and peanut butter also make an appearance in the nose.

T: Banana up front, some sweetness, chocolate in the finish. Just a touch of peanut butter.

M: Medium bodied and smoothish.

O: I am really going against the tide with this rating, but I really liked it. Was it disappointing? Yes. Can I see why some might find the idea of it disgusting? Yes. Ultimately I feel like the flavors just weren't strong enough and didn't blend right. I still enjoyed the beer.

4.01/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance – Pours a super dark ugly brownish black color with a very creamy light brown (almost white) head. Good lacing.

Smell – Smell is mostly chocolate donut. Has a light hint of peanut butter and a lighter hint of banana.

Taste – A semisweet chocolate taste; not as sweet as it smelled. Malty, with just a touch of banana.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated, creamy, with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability – This is better than I expected, although I like their Chocolate Stout much better.

3.82/5  rDev +31.7%

Props to joemcgrath27 for this oddity...

A - Pours almost opaque with a thin ruby red edge, thumb of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Scent is dominated by dark cocoa, musty bread and hint of banana sweetness.

T - The flavour profile continues to be dominated by dark cocoa, with the banana sweetness coming through on the finish and lingering. Reminiscent of a banana split with chocolate ice cream, though the peanut butter continues to elude me. I suppose there a hint of nuttiness presence, but it would've been nice to see a bit more on the palette.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and surprisingly dry.

O - I think I'll continue to be an outlier on the review of the Voodoo Doughnut series. Certainly the peanut butter was a tad underwhelming, but the banana sweetness did come through and was very complementary to the chocolate notes. It's a porter with a unique banana sweetness and a touch of nuttiness. I suspect if they weren't as ambitious in the description of the beer (forcing the drinkers to expect a blast of banana and peanut butter) the reviews would be a lot higher. Nowhere near deserving of the poor reviews, and if given the opportunity I would try it again.

3.82/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No freshness dating known.

A= Pours a nice dark black color with a tan two fingers of bubbly head that holds decent retention and lacing.

S= The smell is heavy chocolate with a more subtle banana note. The peanut butter is subtle if not nonexistant in my bottle for the nose. Other than those major points the beer beneath smells like a typical brown ale.

T= The taste is again heavy on the chocolate with a touch of peanut butter to it. The banana is more subtle in the taste but does come through perfecting the trifecta. The brown ale I got from the nose is missing among the powerful chocolate flavor and after the swallow there is a nice unison of all of the flavors.

M= This is a solid mouth for a beer that has peanut butter in the ingridient list. Granted it is peanut butter extract.

O= I don't know why people hate these beers. I think it's just fun to hate Rogue because they trick people into buying their beers by making new names for them. That and their yeast is a little sketchy for me. But these beers are fun. They collaborate with a famous local doughnut shop and make some beers that I would never have thought possible. Yeah it may not be a everyday drinker or maybe even a repurchase but they are fun beers. I like them and this is no exception.

3.76/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch tan head that stayed around for a while. There's also a lot of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like milk chocolate, peanut butter, roasted malt and some banana. It tastes like milk and bittersweet chocolate, banana, peanut butter, burnt/charred malt and a bit of caramel. I do think the chocolate flavor is stronger compared to the banana and peanut butter. It does lean more towards being a sweeter tasting brew than a bitter, roasty one. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit coating and is well carbonated. Overall I liked this, I wouldn't mind trying it again in the future. It's certainly a unique beer, and it's definitely worth trying if you've never had it before.

3.73/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle split and poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a dark brown appearing black in the glass with a 2 finger light khaki head. Some large bubbles break up the head as it slowly dissipates. Leaves a few spots of lacing.

S: Initial smell from opening the bottle was a chocolate frosting aroma. Banana definitely comes through when its poured into a glass. Certainly accomplishes what it sets out to.

T: Actually it really is what you would expect from a beer of this name. I get the banana and chocolate as though as very strong in the flavor but not too much peanut butter. Nice blend, a bit on the sweet side but so are doughnuts. Mostly a chalky chocolate flavor.

M: Medium body with a nice creaminess to it which I credit to the peanut butter. Average carbonation. Finish isnt too sticky for the sweetness.

Overall I dont understand all the hate for the Voodoo Doughnut series. Both have been accurate to their names and a new beer experience. Worth a shot as long as the price isnt outrageous.

3.63/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Dark brown-black with a finger of frothy tan-khaki head. Fades normal.

S - Milk chocolate malts, cocoa, peanut butter, some caramel malts.

T - Milk chocolate and caramel malts, cocoa, peanut butter, banana, a hint of roasted coffee.

M - Medium-plus bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth and a bit thick with a sweet finish.

D - Interesting mix of flavors. Not quite balanced, but somewhat enjoyable.

3.61/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Let the grab-bag of flavors commence! This time, the Rogue brewers live up to their name as they team up with Voodoo Doughnut for an ale that can only be described as "crazy" (unless you're Elvis) with the taste of peanut butter, banana, and chocolate- yea, we're still talking about beer, I think.

Its hazy brown body certainly fits the chocolaty tone, even as the arid head billows mildly up the glass. Light in its retention, its evident that the oils from chocolate and peanut butter has impeded its head structure. Light lacing ensues in the beer's wake.

Dominated by the character of chocolate, the taste of Belgian bitter-sweet chocolate truffles command attention with only an insinuation of banana and peanut butter lurking behind. The subtle backbone of roasted barley offers a mild nutty and coffee tone also to permeate in the ales middle palate. An inquisitve finish of hops and dry malt taste starts to favor a more "beer-like" tone as the palate meanders away from the chocolaty overtone.

Surprisingly, the ale is only medium weighted- causing the beer to seem somewhat flimsy particulary in its finish. Its body quivers into a watery and grainy bit late trying to capture some semblance of beer and exposes a grain-derived astringency and an ill-hopped bite that leaves the palate unsettled and unsure.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate Banana & Peanut Butter ale rests on the taste buds in identical fashion of Tootsie Roll candies (wax wrapping and all)! As fascinating and fun as the beer it- it sorely suffers from trying to resemble beer. It tries to be hopped, it tries to be dry in finish, it tries to be drinkable. Rogue would be better of getting out of the beer's way and letting the rich textures and overwhelming flavor additions shine.

3.61/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Passed on this many times, but when I saw it in a store recently, I realized this was probably my last chance to try it. I've been to Portland, and I've been to Voodoo Doughnut, so I think I get the point of this series, and I respect Rogue for it, even if they don't always work.

Anyway, the beer. If you took away the banana, this would be a pretty good brown ale with chocolate. At this point, the peanut butter has faded to a hint, but perhaps it contributes to the mouthfeel. It's hard to say. But there's plenty of banana, and not in the way people often describe wheat beers or some Belgians. This is banana popsicle banana. It's partially balanced by the chocolate, but I'm not sure I like it.

I'm not sure I hate it, either. It's an oddball. I'm probably going easy on the rating, since a) I recognize that this beer is a couple of years old, and b) I appreciate what Rogue is shooting for. I'm trying to rate to a style when there is no appropriate style.

Regardless, this is wholly drinkable. Hate the bottle, though.

3.59/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a dark mahogany brown with a healthy two finger light brown head with great retention and massive lacing. Interesting sweet aroma of milk chocolate, stone fruit juice, hints of peanut butter and bananas, quite estery. Flavor is mild chocolate, nuts, vanilla, hint of banana, finishes drier with toasted malt and light hop bitterness. Light bodied with decent carbonation. Like the last Voodoo, this was a beer that for the first time in my life, I really wanted a paper bag to make sure that no one saw me buying it. And like the last one, I approached with trepidation but still found it an interesting, if not great ale. This tastes like a decent chocolate ale that has been watered down and blended with a light lager. You can almost taste decent ingredients crying to assert themselves. Kudos to Rogue for trying to push the envelope, but I can't help but think that this could have been better with a more substantial (dark and toasted malt) body, to support the sweet flavors. I had a good time drinking this because Rogue pretty much shows you what you're going to get with the label and the flavors were fun and interesting if rather thin and attenuated. Still definitely a one and done. Will I be tempted by the next version of the pink bottle again? Sadly, probably yes.

3.54/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours mahogany with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Nice lacing & okay head retention

S: Bananas & chocolate

T: Cocoa, faint smokeyness & banana up front. Richer chocolate. some banana & not getting any peanut butter as this warms. Finishes with chocolate, a touch of banana & charred grain

MF: Thinnish, vigirous carbonation

Not all I hoped, but not bad,, worth a try, needed at least 2% abv above what this is

3.52/5  rDev +21.4%

A- pours nearly opaque black with a small creamy light-tan head that retains nicely, leaving behind big patches of lace

S- big chocolate aroma up front is very reminiscent of their chocolate stout, definitely picking up the peanut butter, although subtle. There's a sweetness that almost smells like grape jelly as well. Having trouble picking up the banana aroma

T- artificial berry-like sweetness at the beginning, transitions into a milk chocolate mid-palate with slightly roasted malt smokiness, the peanuts don't actually become noticeable until the finish, it gives more of a toasted peanut flavor on the linger. The banana is hard to pick up, perhaps I'm confusing the berry sweetness with what is actually banana?

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a super thin and watery mouthfeel, smooth finish

O- Judging by the ratings, I didn't have high hopes for this one, but I actually liked it. The mouthfeel was the only thing holding it back, as it was way to thin. Still enjoyable overall.

3.51/5  rDev +21%

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg

A- crayon black with a brown foamy head that is mountainous and leaves a nice sticky lacing on my mug. Quite opaque and looks inviting.

S- I don't really get any nose in this. I get faint hits of peanut butter and some roasted malts. Pretty disappointed so far.

F- I get dark chocolate and something similar to pilsner malts. Cocoa and roasted coffee come through as well. I do get hints and I mean faint hints of banana and peanut butter but nothing exciting. Ahh wait...after a few more swigs the banana is coming through a little better but still...

M- creamy and heavy bodied brew. The mouthfeel is actually the best part of this beer. It goes down smooth.

O- I expected more from this beer because it has been talked about around here for the past few months and I was let down a little bit. Not a bad beer but not great.

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Portland's Voodoo Doughnuts make some wonderful looking doughnuts - believe me, I have personally carried a giant pink box across customs and even Homeland Security couldn't hide their curiosity or resist the compliments. Despite this beer's unique pink bottle, however, its liquid contents look no different from any other generically dark ale.

The flavour fails to offer much banana or peanut butter - odd given the recipes use of extracts - but does have a fair amount of chocolate; it actually reminds me of Rogue's Chocolate Stout. There's a great deal of cocoa taste but also green, leafy lupulin. It's like a vinous fudge.

As you'd expect, Rogue Voodoo Doughnut is probably best offered post-dinner. There's far richer and far sweeter stouts, but this has enough mousse and pudding-like features to supplement dessert, or work alongside one. Again, the peanut butter and banana are largely absent, but it still makes for a good dessert beer.

For all the negative reviews, for my money, this Rogue offering tastes better than the other (Maple Bacon) Voodoo beer; it resembles many a normal stouts, Rogue's Chocolate Stout at the top of that list (though it's nowhere as good). As I finish the last few drops I'll repeat myself again: I don't get much of the peanut butter or banana.

Make no mistake: this is a novelty beer that's probably not worth the asking price but the contents of the bottle are not entirely wretched; there are far more gimmicky ales out there and, considering the blatant use of artificial (sorry, "natural") flavours, this could be so much worse. Still, Rogue makes beers that are so much better - spend your money on those, not this.

3.48/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not really sure where all the dislike comes from for this beer. Out of the Voodoo line, I liked this one the best but here's the big key to this beer...let it breath!

Drinking this straight out of the fridge, it's extremely 'closed' and bitter. But let that bugger sit for 10-15 minutes and it's like drinking a Saturday morning. The flavors come alive and mix quite well. The mouthfeel is there initially but dissipates quickly and the end does come across as a tad 'watery' but I still feel this is a good, interesting beer to try. I wouldn't drink it all the time, but I could certainly drink it on occasion.

3.44/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The Voodoo is an interesting beer to say the least. The beer poured an opaque dark with thin ecru head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent carried Hershey like chocolate and banana bread....not getting much peanut butter. The taste was mostly weak chocolate. The mouthfeel was light in body (which for this beer style I would prefer a medium to fuller body) with smooth carbonation. Overall its interesting...and not over the top.

3.43/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate brown with two fingers of creamy beige head.

Smell - Chocolate, banana, hint of peanut butter.

Taste - Chocolate followed up with banana and a bit of peanut butter flavour. Earthy hops at the end. Not sure if the flavours are mingling well together. Flavours come off as being artificial.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - Another creative entry for the adventurous palate by Rogue. Not as good as the last Voodoo brew, but it's not bad. I find the flavours are off balance - a lot of chocolate, some banana, and a hint of PB. Worth a try for novelty purposes.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Wife brought this "pretty" pink bottle home. Uh-oh. Gotta get her on the price point thingy and I cringe at what "ugly" bottle she could have bought instead of this. Oh well. Checking it off...

I will say the bottles are pretty damn cool. Pours a dark, dark brown with a big beige foamy head. Starts out nicely. Impressive foamy staying power.

Getting nice banana whiffs right off the bat. Floral, sweet chocolate, roasted nuts, faint peanut butter and caramel.

The taste is a tad smokey with banana, bitter coffee, baker's chocolate, roasted malts and a peppery finish. Bland aftertaste. More spice in the aftertaste.

Slightly oily with good carbonation.

I'll say I liked the "other" pink version better, but overall this was not terrible. Gimmicky? Maybe. Awful? No. Obviously I knew what it was before I tried it and as a beer lover, enjoyed it for what it is. Not many others are attempting this (probably for a good reason) but I do applaud the effort of trying something out of the norm. Definitely enjoyed the experience and the thought-provoking it produced.

3.41/5  rDev +17.6%

22 oz. bottle with no apparent bottled on date present. Looking forward to trying this new concoction from Rogue regardless whether it turns out to be disgusting or not. I tried the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale and thought it was bearable so we'll see what's up here.

Poured into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter, bottle shared with some friends.

A - Pours a light cherry dark brown cola colored body with some froth. No lacing. Giant three finger fluffy creamy khaki colored head that dies down somewhat fast.

S - Smell is of creamy melted chocolate, marshmallow fluff. Light tropical banana bread smells are definitely present. Works together well but the aromas don't seem to stick together very well. Has some creamy root beer float type qualities to it, which I have observed in other Rogue beers before.

T - Taste kind of falls short. Chocolate is definitely present but not overwhelming. Peanut butter not really noticeable. Thin bodied and I'm not getting much genuine banana from the taste either. Has some cola like qualities to it also.

M - Feel is a bit chalky and dry with some bitterness from the chocolate, which seems to be the main attraction here.

Overall, a strange beer from Rogue. On par with what I was expecting. Definitely more drinkable than the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale, and I would probably be interested in trying them both again, just for comparison.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Peanut Butter, & Banana Ale---3.5/5