Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage
1.14/5  rDev -60.7%

A: Pours a dark brown color with a one finger chocolate head that dissipates quickly with sudsy lacing.
S: I can only pick up on the banana. Very imitational and overpowering.
T: Bananas, Light peanut butter and chocolate that turns into a metallic water flavor quickly.
M: Light and very sticky on the palate.
O: The banana is very overpowering. I would like to have seen more chocolate. One of the worst beers I've had. This was a drain pour!

1.28/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Don't even know where to begin. This beer is absolutely disgusting. I imagine toilet water to be about as appetizing.

Extremely artificial flavor and aroma. Everything about this beer is crap.

1.44/5  rDev -50.3%

I usually only do reviews for beers I'm more amped/pumped to try... I am a lazy writer, and I think it makes me focus more on the subtleties and nuances when I take the time to jot it down (maybe ?). However, I'm only doing this review as a sort of finger shaking/waving at Rogue. In fact, after trying this beer, I am done with the Rogue brewery altogether. Rogue was one of the first breweries I got into when I first started drinking craft beer, so it is a shame I have to have such an adverse reaction to them at this point. Lately, it has become apparent to me hat they are flat out making stupid decisions in order to gain press in the form of shock value...beer made from pages of Moby Dick, beard yeast?

I cannot believe they are charging roughly $13 for this beer, and I cannot believe someone in that company thought it was a good decision to release it at that price point. For the price alone, this beer is atrocious, and I have never been so glad to not have paid for a beer in all my life. I have one bottle left, and I am giving away to my neighbor.

1.61/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I'm not proud of this, but I thought I'd give this a try. Bacon Maple wasn't awful!

A - this one pours a deep brown/off black with a decent looking mocha head; this is the only plus to this beer

S - there are some chocolate and sweet notes here, but no banana and no peanut butter; some medicinal bitters too

T - my lord, I had better tastes on my mouth after coming off of anesthesia; this beer straight up tastes like rubber, vinyl, and melting plastic; worst flavor beer I've ever had

M - I mean, I can't get past the flavors...the carbonation is ok I guess

O - this is the kind of shit that will make me never buy another Rogue beer again. I mean, cool for the experimentation, but who in the f at QC let this one be bottled? I feel completely ripped off for spending $13 on this bottle of waste. Instant drain pour.

1.61/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

This beer is awful. I'm sad I pissed away $15 to try this, and I'm going to pour most of it out.

Nice enough appearance- black with thin off white head that doesn't lace the glass.

Saccharine sweet smell and taste. Something chemical like is present. Sickly sweet taste with nothing working together. The flavors don't stand out and feel like they are fighting with some industrial strength artificial sweetener.

I'll steer far clear of this pink bottle of sadness and regret in the future.

1.64/5  rDev -43.4%

I openly hate Rogue and I mega-hated the last Voodoo Abomination. That said, curiosity is a powerful force, so here I am drinking what is sure to be another egregious beer experience. Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Dark brown almost black color. Two fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is about average and a decent amount of lacing is left.

2.0 S: Hmmm. This is certainly unholy and I'm sure that Satan bathes in this, but I can't figure out how much I hate it or even if I hate it. Well, I'm pretty sure I hate it. I guess this is what I'd expect from a chocolate, peanut butter, and banana plug-in air freshener. It pretty much reeks of artificial. The main and only aromas that aren't blocked out are the banana, peanut butter, and chocolate. For how much this beer cost, they could have used real chocolate and peanuts and got banana out of the yeast, but that wouldn't be the bullshit way of making this.

1.25 T: It certainly also tastes like what is in it - chocolate extract, banana extract, and peanut butter extract. It doesn't matter how good the extract is, it's always the same and it's always shitty in beer. This tastes like a homebrew experiment. The flavors are artificial, don't flow well at all, and are all either too intense or muted. This has way too much bitterness for what it is. There's too much astringency (I guess from one of the extracts). The base offers no mediation. I don't care enough to attempt to pick out any flavors below the mess. It tastes like extract.

2.5 M: They even fucked up the mouthfeel. It has a lighter medium body made lighter by the fact that it's overcarbonated. No creaminess and certainly not smooth.

1.0 D: This beer is so shitty and so ungodly expensive that I can only assume that whoever brewed it and whoever priced it are going to be sitting in it someday in Satan's bathhouse. It should be obvious that I would never buy it again. I wouldn't even accept a free bottle. Hell, I wouldn't even accept a free bottle if it came with a good local sixer if it meant I had to drink this again. The only redeeming aspect of this beer is that it scratched my curiosity itch, albeit at great cost.

1.74/5  rDev -40%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Bottle: Poured a deep dark color ale with a small dark brown foamy head with almost no retention. Aroma of light peanut butter notes with some fake banana syrup notes is not the most pleasant. Taste is also dominated by gross banana notes with light peanut butter notes with quite a bit of residual sugars. Body is light with light carbonation. Too much banana notes for its own good and also too sweet for my own taste buds.

1.76/5  rDev -39.3%

750ml bottle 5,3%Abv.
Served chilled and split between a snifter and a wine glass.
No bottle date.

Appearance: Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale appears a medium brown in the glass, with a back light revealing deep red highlights. A rough pour yields a massive tan coloured head that lasts pretty well and even leaves a little lacing.

Smell: Hmmm, this smells quite as interesting and not quite as bad as I expected given the reviews. The banana and chocolate are well noted, but both seem very fake (chocolate flavouring and banana candy). Other notes include: Stale malt, a toasted note and chocolate peanut brittle.

Taste: Holy shit, now I see why this beer gets such bad reviews! This is honestly the worst tasting beer I have had in years. It tastes like bitter water with cheap chocolate flavouring and stale malt mixed in. There are flashes of off banana candy but it isn't enough to even make this slightly interesting.

Mouthfeel: Good god, things actually get worse here! Light bodied, watery and fizzy soda like carbonation.

Overall: I think this is the first time I have actually been tempted to break my no-drain-pour rule. This beer easily takes the prize for the worst beer from a craft brewery that I have come across.

1.76/5  rDev -39.3%

Appearance - Pours a dark, opaque chocolate color with a thick brown head.

Smell - Pure, one-note jelly. Smells sickly sweet like a jelly bean or an off homebrew.

Taste - Terrible. How disappointing. Again, one-note jelly but stronger. There's some mildly interesting chocolate malt underneath a horrible, astringent and artificial flavor that in no way resembles peanut butter, banana etc.

Mouthfeel - Don't know. I didn't want to keep it in my mouth long enough.

Overall - Did not finish the bottle. Very disappointing.

1.84/5  rDev -36.6%

Like others have said this was a major disappointment. I was really looking forward to this one and couldn't get down a glass of this stuff. Looks amazing and had my hopes up immediately, the smell was different, but then the taste was... awful. The taste was very artificial and for $13 a bottle I was expecting so much more.

1.85/5  rDev -36.2%

A: poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter, dark brown almost black with a nice gray tan head, that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: god awful, rotten banana, bad chocolate ice cream, something that burns the back of my nose and made me cough

T: sour banana, charcoal, bitter chocloate, something else burnt, the oil on top of the peanut butter

M: thinnner with higher carbonation

O: it's pretty unpleasant, the appearance and mouthfeel are good, the banana flavor is like a sour laffy taffy rolled in self lighting charcoal dust

1.91/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bright pink, 22 ounce bomber

For what it's worth, the appearance doesn't suck. It's dark black, almost pitch, with only some dark brown showing when held to a light. The head is not impressive and leaves only a slight film up top when it dissipates. Spotty lacing.

Most of the flavors don't come through in the nose. I get a chalky, milk chocolate smell, and that's about it. The peanut butter is nowhere to be found and I pick up something that resembles banana, but only barely. A quick peek at the bottle tells the story...chocolate, peanut butter and banana EXTRACT. Enough said.

The taste is pretty bad. There's a fake chocolate taste, no peanut butter or banana, and a plastic, carbonated taste of something that simply ruins anything else that might have been pleasant.

It feels awful in the mouth. Very chalky, fake feel. There's a bite from something that I've never experienced in a beer and whatever it is, it coats the tongue and taste buds. Very carbonated feel. It's just not good.

Complete waste of money. With real ingredients, it's a possibility. With extracts, it's a waste of water. It's hard to drink, it tastes like crap, and the ABV is so low you feel everything. Sadly, I've got a whole bomber to finish.

1.95/5  rDev -32.8%

Boy, did I not like this beer. The appearance was promising -- dark brow ale with a nice, rocky head. Then I smelled it. Ugh. It smelled of artificial butter and what some scientist in a lab thinks ripe bananas smell like. There was also this underlying perfume-like quality. Not pleasant.

The taste was less objectionable, but still not good. There was some chocolate in there fighting with the hops. Some banana syrup. Not a trace of peanut butter as far as I could tell. The whole thing was just a muddy, garbled mess. The beer's carbonation was quite prickly, which made sorting out the beer's flavors difficult.

I expected that, if this beer were to miss, it would be on the cloyingly sweet side, but that wasn't it. This beer was just a potpourri of mismatched ingredients, in my opinion. And the $13 price tag? I'm kicking myself. I drank about 1/2 a pint before pouring the rest.

2.05/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a dark brown-black with a thin, fizzy tan mousse that takes very little time to settle. Head retention is surprisingly good; instead of completely dissipating, the head just kind of settles and sticks around from there. Lacing is fairly minimal.

S: Strong aromas of banana, dark chocolate, and peanut butter assault the nose. The smell, at least to start, is almost cake-like. Subtle scents of roasted grain, coffee, heavy cream, and vanilla bean follow. These aromas clash with the over-the-top cake-like scents of banana, chocolate, and peanut butter, so the overall effect is a bit off-putting.

T: Sweet notes of chocolate, banana, and peanut butter are evident on the entry, but are quickly undercut by flavors of chalk, minerals, grassy hops, burnt toast, roasted grain, heavy cream, coffee, and vanilla bean. The finish is initially very sweet with the expected banana, chocolate, and peanut butter notes, but soon turns dry and chewy with odd ash-like notes balanced by herbs, roasted grain, and some sort of soapy, harsh flavor.

M: Very light in body, which is surprising because I was expecting something along the lines of Southern Tier's Mokah or Creme Brulee, something full-bodied, velvety, smooth, luscious, and ludicrously decadent. Instead, this beer is as dry as dust and woefully slight in the mouth. Carbonation is extremely intense. The light body, extreme dryness, and firm carbonation make this ale very difficult to drink. I had to force myself to finish the bottle.

O: This is the kind of beer that is hard to review because it is both so strange and so bad that words cannot do it justic. I was not expecting to be wowed by this beer, but I at least expected to find something enjoyable about it. Sadly, I couldn't find a single redeeming characteristic. It looks odd, smells odd, tastes odd, and feels odd-in other words, it's an odd bird. I'll give the brewers at Rogue a few points for creativity and bravery here, but unfortunately that's all I can do. If awkward could be fermented and bottled, it would be this beer or something really close to it.

2.11/5  rDev -27.2%

I got a chance to try this at a friends house and while I know the person who brought it was trolling I am pretty sure Rogue is trolling beer geeks by making this. It was a truly awful beer. Dark brown, almost looked like a stout. Aroma was just off, none of the featured ingredients were present, eww. Flavor was quite bad, hints of chocolate but mostly just yuck. I would never drink this beer again, shame on you Rogue.

2.21/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok, never having the maple bacon one, ill admit i was interested. With this being a bannanna, chocolate, pnut butter, i HAD to give it a shot.

A--brown almost black, good head, great lacing.

S--Smell was overpowering chocolate to me, a bit of nana, little or no pnut butter. something in the backround smell was just...off. Not super off putting and the smell of the nana n choc were enough to give it a decent nose.

T--while its not awful and i definitely get chocolate, and super light almost no nana and pnut, theres another lingering taste that just makes me want to lick a towel. And the chocolate up front is ok but the aftertaste of chocolate is like its been melted and refrozen a few times.

M--almost none. carb makes the mouth weird.

O--not a drainpour but definitely not a re buy. Glad to have tried it though, since, as like po k mon, you gotta have em all!

2.21/5  rDev -23.8%

Not going to give a blow by blow review, as this beer does not deserve one. It says quite plainly on the label that all the stated flavors come from extract, and this shows very clearly in the taste. Extremely chalky and artificial on the palate. While it might still be bad, I could have at least appreciated a beer that used chocolate malt, hefe yeast, and then some PB in secondary fermentation. This is just... well lazy. On the plus side I now have a pink bottle to add to my collection. Glad I was at least able to split this among several others.

2.28/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Compact mocha head on top of a dark brown body, verging on black. Displays decent clingy lacing. Head drops down slowly, but gradually.

The aroma is confusing, muddled at first. It smells sweet, and it has that saccharine quality to it. It does come off as artificial, though nothing artificial is added here. Hints of banana Runts, peanut butter, and chocolate. There's nothing else to smell. It's exactly what it says.

Surprisingly it is not as sweet as I was expecting. Medium bodied beer. Only a tinge of bitterness on the finish, but no hop flavor. The flavor does not meet the aroma at all. There is no layering of flavor components whatsoever. The banana, peanut butter and chocolate are all in one extract and it's not sweet or anything. It merely gives the impression of sweetness, but there is none. It makes this beer feel far more artificial than it is. Not a great feeling at all. Body is on the lighter side, carbonation is great.

I'm sad about this beer. I wanted to think that people are dumb and are just drinking the haterade. But this isn't a good beer. I wouldn't drink again. It's thin and comes off as fake. They should sweeten the beer a bit, and maybe use more chocolate, more peanut butter, and less banana. That's my recommendation.

2.3/5  rDev -20.7%

What can I say. I was so excited to try this one after the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon was such a disappointment. My excitement was short lived after the initial smell.

Smells like boozy bananas - which was actually quite nice. If only it tasted like the delicious smell.

It was heavy and with a bitter aftertaste. No notes of peanut butter or banana and only a slight taste of chocolate.

Suffice to say this is the 2nd 'Doughnut' I have tried and will not be trying another Rogue product.

Definitely a 'Doughnut'!

On a good note...I loved the bottle!

2.32/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

From a 650 ml pink enameled (though brown underneath) bottle. Pours out a deep dark brown hue with faint dark garnet highlights when held to direct light. Also present are suspended particles, especially when the remainder of the bottle is poured. TALL spongy beige head that settles very slowly, and leaves a thick coating of lacing in its wake. This is a two pour attempt to fill the glass.

Immediate smell of sweet chocolate the moment the cap is removed, and it goes strong after two pour attempts. Some nutty sweetness as well, like hazelnut, with some fruit. More of a strawberry character than anything akin to banana.

Aaaand....nope. No. Not sure what is going on in the flavour dep't, but it doesn't quite match the description on the label. Grainy malt up front with some astringent nuttiness, akin more to the nut husk or shell than the meat, and not peanut-like. Finish somehow gains a mild creamy peanut butter character, with bitter dark chocolate appearing and lingering on in the aftertaste, along with even more of that astringent nut shell. No banana, or any ester to speak of present throughout. Flavour profile in general is messy, disjointed, and somewhat confusing. I wouldn't label them as off-flavours or defective, more like not properly executed. Towards the end a bitter green banana peel character emerges and starts to dominate everything else. Well, there's the banana then....

Mouthfeel is rather nondescript, not quite like slurry (although that was my initial impression, especially combined with the flavour profile), but still has a rather turbid texture to it. The moderate carbonation tends to off-set things more than provide harmony or drinkability. It's almost as confused as the flavour.

I should have known.... In the immortal words of George W. Bush: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....we, um....we won't be fooled again." I personally found the first Voodoo Doughnut beer beyond disappointing, I should have known to be wary. I'm aware this is a rather harsh review, but when a company puts so much effort into marketing a beer like this, and then with the rather exorbitant price tag associated with it, the consumer is in a position to be brutally honest after buying the ticket and taking the trip. Lesson learned Rogue, twice bitten with this series....

2.33/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

22 oz bottle into a 10 Barrel tulip pint

A - Looks great. Totally opaque dark dark brown with a dark ruby glow. Good head retention, good lacing. This is the best part of the beer.

S - Unnatural mix of chemical aromas mask some roasted malt character.

T - Nearly unpalatable. Extreme bitterness. More chemical flavors.

M - A little watery, but overall even mouthfeel.

O - I can't see this beer appealing to anyone. The previous Voodoo Doughnut beer was too smoky for me, but I could see how it would be delicious to the right person and/or with the right meal. This one... I don't get it. If you are really curious about this beer... hey, I spent $15 on it, so I won't judge you for doing the same... but have a backup beer ready to go...

2.34/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Ok pours a nice dark brown with a thick head. Initial smell is a little sweet. Not a strong smell so I take another whiff and the first thought is that the smell is off putting. A big turn off. Smell is very artificial. Taste has no sweetness at all. I can't detect any banana, peanut butter or chocolate. Then I look at the label and it says "donut". Then I try to imagine this beer as a donut. Starts to make a little sense but I can't get over the off putting/ artificial smell. The smell is very familiar similar to a Wells beer. The only thing going for this is the cool pink painted bottle. This beer is not worth the $10 I paid.

2.35/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

why oh why oh why am i doing this to myself

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A- pours black with a two finger light tan head. Looks fine.

S- very weird aroma, with the chocolate and banana overpowering everything and almost smelling rancid.

T- the banana overwhelms everything. It tastes like a banana taffy of some sort. The peanut butter is really nonexistent, and the chocolate is almost an afterthought, coming in at the end

M- body is fine, on the thin side

O- I don't know what exactly they brewed with to get these flavors...but what the hell? If you stripped off the chocolate and peanut from the label, I wouldn't even know they were supposed to be represented. What a mess.

2.35/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

A - pours a big rocky beige head and a deep dark brown color.

S - sweet chocolate and a faint smell of bananas. Smells like samuel smith's organic chocolate stout, but less candy-like. I'm a little disappointed the peanut butter and bananas weren't as noticeable on the nose as the chocolate.

T - roasted malts and sweet chocolate with cocoa is the first thing I notice, followed by an aftertaste of bananas, but so very faint. The peanut butter is totally absent in what I could taste, totally hidden behind chocolate and coffee notes.

M - bitter and watery. The carbonation and bitterness are a little overwhelming for me, and the aftertaste on the back of the tongue is that of drinking a burnt cheap coffee.

Overall, disappointed the flavours were so synthetic and hidden. It feels like I'm tasting a cheap brown ale with a strong hoppy bitterness. I was expecting an "Elvis' favourite sandwich" beer and got a weak watery brew instead, so no, I would not have it again nor recommend it; I just hope Rogue makes better novelty beers in the future.

2.36/5  rDev -18.6%

750ml classic bright pink Voodoo/Rogue bottle purchased from BevMo in Menlo Park, CA. Shared with Sam and Rich in Sydney, possibly because I couldn't fathom drinking an entire bottle by myself.

Pours an extremely dark but extremely fine clear brown like excessively filtered coffee. Head forms a fine and pretty pleasant head of mocha above it. Lacing forms in thin tiger stripes down the glass. Overall, it looks pretty decent.

Nose is intensely sweet, and I'm guessing this is where most of the effort has gone. Sickly coconut, chocolate, caramel and yes, perhaps some peanut butter provides an over-the-top American candy sweetness. Banana is lost in the mix, but I can envisage a little bit of fake banana ester candy character coming through as well. Mostly, though, it smells like a vat of melted peanut butter that someone has vomited a day's worth of carnival food into—in a vaguely good way.

Taste is weak. Extremely weak. Thin, reedy chocolate comes though, devoid of true sweetness and backed up by the ghost of peanut butter providing a shot of fatty somnolence to the finish. Feel is thin, taste is thin. Roast comes through on the back only because everything else has dropped out: the flavours that come through must only be aromatically derived—like Artificial Chocolate Banana and Peanut Butter Doughnut Flavouring (221). Boo.

Overall: boo indeed. I quite enjoyed the Maple Bacon beer, despite what everyone else seemed to think of it. But this is piss-poor: this is thin, fakely flavoured and weak without any integration or any particular thought put to it. Very uninspiring stuff.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale from Rogue Ales