Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage
3.16/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Pours an opaque, seal brown with a moderate khaki head that slowly settles into a veil of frogspawn, leaving a respectable ring of lacing in its wake. Aroma smells of milk chocolate, brown sugar, traces of banana, maraschino cherries, and a suggestion of alcohol. The whole affair smells rather like a dessert.

I had no idea what to expect from the taste, and I was skeptical as to how well chocolate-banana-peanut-butter translates to beer. I guess you could say my expectations were met. The taste here is just plain peculiar. If I hadn't seen the label, I'm not sure I would have pegged any of the aforementioned flavors as being present. Maybe they're there somewhere in the hodgepodge of chemicals that passes for a flavor profile, but they don't play well together. The taste is initially blurry and mild--maybe generic roasted malt would be fair--before the ensuing tug of war between what tastes like juniper, marshmallow, and moderate resinous hops. I think I can taste some milk chocolate in the finish, along with what may be the faintest traces of peanut extract--maybe. Banana is not existent in any capacity. The mouthfeel is actually excellent--smooth, velvety, and alive--however it's wasted on this beer. The body is medium and appropriate.

I appreciate the attempt at innovation, but this endeavor was a tall order to say the least. It's hardly a success by my account, but few would have succeeded given the demands. Voodoo Doughnut is the epitome of a novelty beer.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Portland's Voodoo Doughnuts make some wonderful looking doughnuts - believe me, I have personally carried a giant pink box across customs and even Homeland Security couldn't hide their curiosity or resist the compliments. Despite this beer's unique pink bottle, however, its liquid contents look no different from any other generically dark ale.

The flavour fails to offer much banana or peanut butter - odd given the recipes use of extracts - but does have a fair amount of chocolate; it actually reminds me of Rogue's Chocolate Stout. There's a great deal of cocoa taste but also green, leafy lupulin. It's like a vinous fudge.

As you'd expect, Rogue Voodoo Doughnut is probably best offered post-dinner. There's far richer and far sweeter stouts, but this has enough mousse and pudding-like features to supplement dessert, or work alongside one. Again, the peanut butter and banana are largely absent, but it still makes for a good dessert beer.

For all the negative reviews, for my money, this Rogue offering tastes better than the other (Maple Bacon) Voodoo beer; it resembles many a normal stouts, Rogue's Chocolate Stout at the top of that list (though it's nowhere as good). As I finish the last few drops I'll repeat myself again: I don't get much of the peanut butter or banana.

Make no mistake: this is a novelty beer that's probably not worth the asking price but the contents of the bottle are not entirely wretched; there are far more gimmicky ales out there and, considering the blatant use of artificial (sorry, "natural") flavours, this could be so much worse. Still, Rogue makes beers that are so much better - spend your money on those, not this.

3.41/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- dark brown with an inch of tan head
S-peanut butter and banana. Big time.
T- Big banana and peanut butter up front. I see a lot of reviews that don't get the peanut butter, I have to disagree with those. The main taste I get is if you took an ever so slightly past ripe banana, smothered it with creamy peanut butter and chomped that sucker. It's followed up by a roasty chocolate backbone. I do get a slight twinge of a metallic aftertaste. It falls a little short at the end, no long lasting flavor to speak of.
M- head is a bit creamy, however most of the body is kind of thin, with a bit of a bite.

Overall- I thought this was a pretty decent beer. It was a bit tough to down a whole 22oz bomber, but in smaller samples I would drink this beer again. I appreciate the originality and creativity of it.

1.74/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Bottle: Poured a deep dark color ale with a small dark brown foamy head with almost no retention. Aroma of light peanut butter notes with some fake banana syrup notes is not the most pleasant. Taste is also dominated by gross banana notes with light peanut butter notes with quite a bit of residual sugars. Body is light with light carbonation. Too much banana notes for its own good and also too sweet for my own taste buds.

2.61/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Split a bomber with a friend who had picked this up from the Rogue Public House in San Francisco.

Dark brown - almost cola - in color. Sparse head that sits like a film on top of the beer. Aroma is not very inviting. The combo of chocolate, banana, and peanut butter sounds good on paper, but becomes a garbled mess. Throw in some licorice to boot and I am suddenly not interested at all. Very thin textured and not enough carbonation which ruins the mouthfeel for me. Metallic finish. This beer could probably benefit from a bigger malt profile.

3.09/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours from the bright pink bottle pretty much black, with a fair head of off-white carbonation. Lace is big and loopy.

Nose is very unusual -- I get peanut butter predominantly, which I love outside of beer, so my curiousity here is only piqued further.

Taste is, umm, weird. I get more of the peanut butter, some banana, and only a hint of the chocolate. An interesting novelty taste -- not altogether offensive or unfaithful to the premise, but certainly not a beer with lasting value or drinkability.

2.42/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

22oz Pinkerton with my FW snifter glass...yes I did
Notes taken from 10/05/13

This has been sitting in my fridge since last Christmas…I figure it is probably not getting any better right?

A: Dark chocolate brown colored ale. Completely opaque with a nice two fingers worth of craggy khaki stuff on top. Large format bubbles pop and fizz out much of the retention efforts. Some light dots of stick adorn the glass on the way down.

S: Smells of milk chocolate powder mixed up with some banana candies and a light smudging of peanut butter. There is some malty sweetness coming through as well. Nothing terribly obtrusive here. For all intended purposes they kind of got the profile down in the aroma.

T: Chalky cocoa powder with melted candy and artificial flavoring. Tastes like Tootsie Roll for the most part. Grapey almost...then the burnt plastic and harsh ashtray like char sets in. The PB and banana are completely lost. Moderate bitterness and no alcohol flavor detectable. Pretty gawd awful stuff. Nailed it on the plastic candy ashtray though.

M: A bit thin and watery, especially to hold up such a flavor profile. There is a decent creamy consistency with a light bitterness and touch of drying on the finish.

D: I drank the entire thing with no ill side effects reported. But that’s enough to last me a life time. The aroma deceives.

Worst tasting beer I have has in quite some time. Not putrid or vile enough to drain pour but it sure tries hard. Kind of makes you wonder if they are even tasting this stuff before going public.

4.14/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep-deep cola brown color with a one finger tan colored head composed of tons of fizzy bubbles. The head fades rather rapidly leaving some foamy lace on the sides of the glass and islands of foam on the top of the brew.

Smell – The aroma is huge of a sweet, somewhat artificial banana smell. The banana reminds me of the scent of banana runts, and before tasting made me think I was going to be having a sweet candy like brew. Complementing the banana nicely is a peanut butter smell which mixed with a doughy smell to produce a somewhat peanut butter banana sandwich aroma. Along with these aromas are some other lighter smells of a cocoa nature as well as some sugary toffee smells and a little bit of coffee. Actually, even though the banana was somewhat artificial in nature, the aroma was very appealing overall.

Taste – While the taste was relatively sweet, it was not nearly as I would have anticipated from the noise and was actually more roasty tasting then what anticipated. The taste begins with a brown sugar and toffee flavor mixed with a nice lighter banana and cocoa flavor. Along with these flavors there was also a sweet doughy taste which creates a nice base for the flavors of the brew. As the taste moves on, the banana get more pronounced and takes on a somewhat banana runt like flavor as would be anticipated from the nose. More toward the end, some peanut flavors come to the tongue, nicely complimenting the cocoa and banana flavors of the brew. With the increase in the drier cocoa flavors as well as the peanut butter flavor and a newly encountered coffee flavor that comes to the tongue at the end, a moderately sweet (but not too sweet) roasted coffee and cocoa peanut butter runt like banana doughnut flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that is rather average. The higher carbonation was rather nice for the sweeter and banana flavors of the brew, but a bit more body may have given it a nice thicker and chewier feel, nicely accentuating the roasted and
“doughnut” like characteristics of the brew.

Overall – This was really quite an enjoyable novelty brew. While somewhat artificial in banana, it had a nice candy like smell and flavor that melded well with the darker and roasted doughnut like characteristics of the brew. While I was not a fan of the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon ale, the Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate banana and peanut butter ale is delicious and even although it is rather overpriced it is one you should likely try at least once.

3.39/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz./750 ml bottle
Served in a pint glass
Thanks to my sister Vanessa for including this with my birthday gift.

Awesome graphics. Gotta love that bright pink bottle. As for the beer, it poured a dark brown, bordering on black. The liquid was topped by a near two-finger tall, tight, frothy, khaki colored crown. A substantial collar of sticky lacing coated the glass as the head receded.

The nose was straightforward yet really unique. Chocolate syrup notes dominated. Peanut butter was also quite noticeable. Good amount of roast. A dry, chalky yeast note was present as well. With time, the peanut butter faded.

Unlike the aroma, the flavor profile was quite rough around the edges. Intense roasty notes were apparent right off the bat. The beer came across as slightly acrid. There was a notable chocolate fudge presence. The finish contained lots of bitter, earthy hops, which seemed a bit distracting and out of place.

On the palate, the beer felt a bit thin. The liquid contained a light, bubbly, frothy effervescence. Not terrible, but this beer could have benefitted from a bigger body.

I really wanted to like this beer, but between the acrid roastiness and the intense hoppiness on the finish, it was a rather tough session. At its pricepoint, this should have been far better.

4.45/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy this brew. I'm not one for the mixing in of fruits. I like my beers dark, thick and often roasted. But this is different and I like it. It starts with a sutle chocolate and ends with a bang of banana, and I light peanut butter flavor. I can actually smell it more than taste it.

I enjoy this very much and it one of my normal drinker.

2.35/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

why oh why oh why am i doing this to myself

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A- pours black with a two finger light tan head. Looks fine.

S- very weird aroma, with the chocolate and banana overpowering everything and almost smelling rancid.

T- the banana overwhelms everything. It tastes like a banana taffy of some sort. The peanut butter is really nonexistent, and the chocolate is almost an afterthought, coming in at the end

M- body is fine, on the thin side

O- I don't know what exactly they brewed with to get these flavors...but what the hell? If you stripped off the chocolate and peanut from the label, I wouldn't even know they were supposed to be represented. What a mess.

3.76/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch tan head that stayed around for a while. There's also a lot of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like milk chocolate, peanut butter, roasted malt and some banana. It tastes like milk and bittersweet chocolate, banana, peanut butter, burnt/charred malt and a bit of caramel. I do think the chocolate flavor is stronger compared to the banana and peanut butter. It does lean more towards being a sweeter tasting brew than a bitter, roasty one. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit coating and is well carbonated. Overall I liked this, I wouldn't mind trying it again in the future. It's certainly a unique beer, and it's definitely worth trying if you've never had it before.

2.36/5  rDev -18.9%

750ml classic bright pink Voodoo/Rogue bottle purchased from BevMo in Menlo Park, CA. Shared with Sam and Rich in Sydney, possibly because I couldn't fathom drinking an entire bottle by myself.

Pours an extremely dark but extremely fine clear brown like excessively filtered coffee. Head forms a fine and pretty pleasant head of mocha above it. Lacing forms in thin tiger stripes down the glass. Overall, it looks pretty decent.

Nose is intensely sweet, and I'm guessing this is where most of the effort has gone. Sickly coconut, chocolate, caramel and yes, perhaps some peanut butter provides an over-the-top American candy sweetness. Banana is lost in the mix, but I can envisage a little bit of fake banana ester candy character coming through as well. Mostly, though, it smells like a vat of melted peanut butter that someone has vomited a day's worth of carnival food into—in a vaguely good way.

Taste is weak. Extremely weak. Thin, reedy chocolate comes though, devoid of true sweetness and backed up by the ghost of peanut butter providing a shot of fatty somnolence to the finish. Feel is thin, taste is thin. Roast comes through on the back only because everything else has dropped out: the flavours that come through must only be aromatically derived—like Artificial Chocolate Banana and Peanut Butter Doughnut Flavouring (221). Boo.

Overall: boo indeed. I quite enjoyed the Maple Bacon beer, despite what everyone else seemed to think of it. But this is piss-poor: this is thin, fakely flavoured and weak without any integration or any particular thought put to it. Very uninspiring stuff.

2.28/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Compact mocha head on top of a dark brown body, verging on black. Displays decent clingy lacing. Head drops down slowly, but gradually.

The aroma is confusing, muddled at first. It smells sweet, and it has that saccharine quality to it. It does come off as artificial, though nothing artificial is added here. Hints of banana Runts, peanut butter, and chocolate. There's nothing else to smell. It's exactly what it says.

Surprisingly it is not as sweet as I was expecting. Medium bodied beer. Only a tinge of bitterness on the finish, but no hop flavor. The flavor does not meet the aroma at all. There is no layering of flavor components whatsoever. The banana, peanut butter and chocolate are all in one extract and it's not sweet or anything. It merely gives the impression of sweetness, but there is none. It makes this beer feel far more artificial than it is. Not a great feeling at all. Body is on the lighter side, carbonation is great.

I'm sad about this beer. I wanted to think that people are dumb and are just drinking the haterade. But this isn't a good beer. I wouldn't drink again. It's thin and comes off as fake. They should sweeten the beer a bit, and maybe use more chocolate, more peanut butter, and less banana. That's my recommendation.

3.36/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

There's no banana , or peanut buttertast1 tastes like a big tootsie roll- I splurged and bought a pretty bottle beer and I was craving peanut butter chocolate and banana- gonna keep the bottle or a keepsake. Now that I type over the mug on my laptop, I smmell the banana. Would not buy again,,,sorry!

2.89/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The best attribute of this brew is the appearance. Dark brown black with a thick tan head full of large bubbles. Very inviting looking.

Smell was dominated by chocolate extract, which distinctly reminded me of chocolate soda. Very faint hint of banana extract that comes on like a whiff of banana candy.

Heavy roasted cacao and roasted malt flavors. Chocolate extract comes off as bitter. Very bitter hops which really don't balance the other heavy burnt flavors. Banana and peanut butter flavors are a no show for me.

Thin oily mouth feel.

Not the worst beer I have ever tasted. But definitely didn't deliver on the flavors promised by the bright pink bottle. I was hoping for more!

1.85/5  rDev -36.4%

A: poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter, dark brown almost black with a nice gray tan head, that lingers leaving good lacing, clear

S: god awful, rotten banana, bad chocolate ice cream, something that burns the back of my nose and made me cough

T: sour banana, charcoal, bitter chocloate, something else burnt, the oil on top of the peanut butter

M: thinnner with higher carbonation

O: it's pretty unpleasant, the appearance and mouthfeel are good, the banana flavor is like a sour laffy taffy rolled in self lighting charcoal dust

3.26/5  rDev +12%

750 ml bottle into signature pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours crystal clear very dark brown color with a 1-2 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of milk chocolate, cocoa, banana, toffee, light peanut butter, toast, bread, and toasted earthiness. Ok aromas with interesting balance of malt, banana, and light peanut butter notes; smells pretty artificial, but has good strength. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, toast, banana, toffee, bread, light peanut butter, light roast, floral, and toasted earthiness. Lingering notes of milk chocolate, cocoa, banana, toast, light peanut butter, light roast, floral, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a bit. Pretty solid balance and robustness of malt and extract flavors; with zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a pretty solid experimental flavored beer. Ok balance and robustness of malt and extract flavors; and smooth to drink. A fairly enjoyable offering.

2.32/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

From a 650 ml pink enameled (though brown underneath) bottle. Pours out a deep dark brown hue with faint dark garnet highlights when held to direct light. Also present are suspended particles, especially when the remainder of the bottle is poured. TALL spongy beige head that settles very slowly, and leaves a thick coating of lacing in its wake. This is a two pour attempt to fill the glass.

Immediate smell of sweet chocolate the moment the cap is removed, and it goes strong after two pour attempts. Some nutty sweetness as well, like hazelnut, with some fruit. More of a strawberry character than anything akin to banana.

Aaaand....nope. No. Not sure what is going on in the flavour dep't, but it doesn't quite match the description on the label. Grainy malt up front with some astringent nuttiness, akin more to the nut husk or shell than the meat, and not peanut-like. Finish somehow gains a mild creamy peanut butter character, with bitter dark chocolate appearing and lingering on in the aftertaste, along with even more of that astringent nut shell. No banana, or any ester to speak of present throughout. Flavour profile in general is messy, disjointed, and somewhat confusing. I wouldn't label them as off-flavours or defective, more like not properly executed. Towards the end a bitter green banana peel character emerges and starts to dominate everything else. Well, there's the banana then....

Mouthfeel is rather nondescript, not quite like slurry (although that was my initial impression, especially combined with the flavour profile), but still has a rather turbid texture to it. The moderate carbonation tends to off-set things more than provide harmony or drinkability. It's almost as confused as the flavour.

I should have known.... In the immortal words of George W. Bush: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....we, um....we won't be fooled again." I personally found the first Voodoo Doughnut beer beyond disappointing, I should have known to be wary. I'm aware this is a rather harsh review, but when a company puts so much effort into marketing a beer like this, and then with the rather exorbitant price tag associated with it, the consumer is in a position to be brutally honest after buying the ticket and taking the trip. Lesson learned Rogue, twice bitten with this series....

2.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I hope they get this right after last tragedy and it pours a dark dirty brown hue with a creamy two finger head that slowly resides to a a smog of cloud across the top and a rim of lacing to match,the smell is basically an even mix of bananna,chocolate,peanut butter and the slightest hint of bubblegum,the mouthfeel is just over light bodied and way over carbonated making the mouthfeel rather rough and all I get on taste is an artificial blend of bananna,chocolate and peanut butter finished off with a herbal green cocoa bean bittersweetness and overall you guys gave proven your point what may make a sensational donought does not necessarily make a good beer please quit while your behind and u waste any more money cheers.

2.58/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The aroma just like eating a banana.
Flavor: Little watery. at around 5% it was ok
I prefer if it had more of peanut butter character. The doughnut glaze in the middle of the taste was a little different.
The overall: was like eating a light banana with no other ingredients like they mentioned.

2.48/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer was a little disappointing. It was very pricey an d did not measure to what I thought it was going to be. I expected a journey through bananas and Pb doughnuts. It was weak. I would definitely not buy it again. I was a one time gimmick. I like the bottle though.

3.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark cola like brown with a two finger khaki color head. The head gives way to edging and fingers of lace. The aroma is of dark chocolate with a hint of peanut butter than a ripe banana smell. The taste follows suit. Up front is deep chocolate taste with a little toasty taste. There is a slight peanut butter flavor before banana takes over at the end. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated and creamy. Overall it was interesting...the flavor profile swirls around from sip to sip. It is worth a try but only one try.

2.74/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a beautiful dark brown, nearly opaque with a huge fluffy tan head. Great retention and really nice lacing.
Smell is malt, an odd, fake Tootsie Roll like chocolate note, something peanut like and nothing else.
Taste is roasted malt, Tootsie Roll chocolate, something that might be peanuts and we're done.
Medium body, lighter effervescence. Weirdly, I think I would prefer this beer without the additions of chocolate, etc. Poor execution on this one. Maple Bacon Doughnut was great, had hoped this would be close. Rogue screwed up again.

3.37/5  rDev +15.8%

Saw the bottle and had to try it, as I love peanut butter

A- Poured dark with 2 fingers of tan head. Looks like Coca-Cola, except missing the bubbles. Leaves some lacing, not much.

S- Smells like cocoa and on-the-brink-of-overripe bananas. Not like mass produced candy bar chocolate, but rather the imported, 90% cocoa dark chocolate. Disappointingly, no peanut butter.

T- Taste follows smell. On the front is strong cocoa flavor with slightly sour but still sweet ripe bananas. Very tasty. Still no peanut butter that I can detect, but good none the less.

M- Medium, buttery

O- A fun experiment, but not a repeater. Wish the peanut butter was more available. Very good, chocolate taste. Almost like drinking a banana flavored dark chocolate bar.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale from Rogue Ales