Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage
3.54/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours mahogany with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Nice lacing & okay head retention

S: Bananas & chocolate

T: Cocoa, faint smokeyness & banana up front. Richer chocolate. some banana & not getting any peanut butter as this warms. Finishes with chocolate, a touch of banana & charred grain

MF: Thinnish, vigirous carbonation

Not all I hoped, but not bad,, worth a try, needed at least 2% abv above what this is (416 characters)

A: Poured light brown, no lacing, about 2 fingers for the head...

S: Hmmm malt is prominent, faint traces of peanut butter and banana, smells very sweet!

T: Light, almost like a chocolate astringent I would say, but not in a bad way. There is minimal alcohol taste, you can def get the aftertaste of light peanut butter.

M: Light to medium body...not too into the medium

O: Not too bad! Being new to the beer scene I am always experimenting, so my review might be a tad off, but hey, to each their own. I dig the flavor mash up, leaves me wondering what else they have in store.

Serving type: bottle (605 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The smell was strong like a typical beer but you also sense a slight hint of chocolate. I was real curious about the chocolate, peanut butter, and banana combination which you can't find everyday. On the immediate taste you can sense the chocolate and banana combination which settles quite well with the lasting flavor of peanut butter. For a fruit flavored beer I wouldn't rank among my favorites which are cherry and tangerine so far in this category. I would recommend trying if you can find it. This is a seasonal special with est. 159 calories per and 5.3% ABV. (567 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

$11.20 for the bottle.

A- it pours like a Stout, black in colour, 2 finger head of tannish foam, good lacing.

S- I smell powdered doughnuts, some peanut butter and yes, bananas. Not a bad nose.

T- doughnuts, peanut butter, bananas...truth in advertising here but oh hell, why?

M- it's just fine. Too bad this concoction doesn't back up the mouthfeel. Hey, mouthfeel is now a real word! ;^)

O- doughnut and banana...could have tasted like a twinkie when twinkies first came out and I might have dug that. This is a trio of flavours thrown together that produce zero harmony. Laws no, never again.

Edit: I forgot to mention the tasty chocolate flavour I'm getting; very reminiscent of their Chocolate Stout. A saving grace? (727 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pours a muddy brown color with 2+ fingers of tan head that slowly dies down to a cap

S: Starts off with the chocolate and banana (which is definitely on the extract side) with a hint of peanut butter. A little bit of chocolate malt in there as well

T: Starts off with the banana and a little bit of chocolate. Goes into more chocolate malt sweetness and maybe a hint of peanut butter. Finishes lightly sweet

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: In theory, this could be a good beer if pulled off correctly. This, however, is more of a banana extract mixed with chocolate malt and a touch of peanut butter beer and really doesn't work. I'd like to see the peanut butter aspect come out a little more and have the banana taste real and not so much like extract. I enjoyed the other Voodoo beer. This one, not so much (830 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -40.3%

Appearance - Pours a dark, opaque chocolate color with a thick brown head.

Smell - Pure, one-note jelly. Smells sickly sweet like a jelly bean or an off homebrew.

Taste - Terrible. How disappointing. Again, one-note jelly but stronger. There's some mildly interesting chocolate malt underneath a horrible, astringent and artificial flavor that in no way resembles peanut butter, banana etc.

Mouthfeel - Don't know. I didn't want to keep it in my mouth long enough.

Overall - Did not finish the bottle. Very disappointing. (525 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle into a goblet.

Brown like a Hershey bar, totally opaque. One finger of creamy, merengue-like head is tan in color and recedes only slowly.

When sniffed from the bottle, cocoa dominates the aroma. Beautiful milk chocolate with hints of peanuts and roast. Hot chocolate. In a glass with some head, banana is the leader. Very sweet, a little artificial, kind of like banana runts. More chocolate, a hint of biscuits.

The front of the flavor is all banana runts -- crushed, dusty, artificial. Untamed bitterness sweeps in upon the swallow, settling into the back of the tongue with acrid and unfortunate strength. Toast and peanut skins longer after the finish. The dry finish does nothing to deter the bitter bite.

Medium light body, mild carbonation, large-bubbled and fizzy.

I was a fan of the first Voodoo Doughnut collaboration. But not this one. Too bitter, too much banana, not enough chocolate or PB. (918 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +13.2%

bomber into snifter

look is a dark brown with minimal head/lacing and all that jazz/BB. smell is a very odd sweet smell, like artificial PB&J? its not a bad scent. just weird. taste is light and crisp, with roasted malts and a sweet burnt taste. not picking up any significant PB or chocolate, and absolutely no banana.

weird beer that doesn't taste bad, but fails at being what it describes. (394 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -44.4%

I openly hate Rogue and I mega-hated the last Voodoo Abomination. That said, curiosity is a powerful force, so here I am drinking what is sure to be another egregious beer experience. Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Dark brown almost black color. Two fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is about average and a decent amount of lacing is left.

2.0 S: Hmmm. This is certainly unholy and I'm sure that Satan bathes in this, but I can't figure out how much I hate it or even if I hate it. Well, I'm pretty sure I hate it. I guess this is what I'd expect from a chocolate, peanut butter, and banana plug-in air freshener. It pretty much reeks of artificial. The main and only aromas that aren't blocked out are the banana, peanut butter, and chocolate. For how much this beer cost, they could have used real chocolate and peanuts and got banana out of the yeast, but that wouldn't be the bullshit way of making this.

1.25 T: It certainly also tastes like what is in it - chocolate extract, banana extract, and peanut butter extract. It doesn't matter how good the extract is, it's always the same and it's always shitty in beer. This tastes like a homebrew experiment. The flavors are artificial, don't flow well at all, and are all either too intense or muted. This has way too much bitterness for what it is. There's too much astringency (I guess from one of the extracts). The base offers no mediation. I don't care enough to attempt to pick out any flavors below the mess. It tastes like extract.

2.5 M: They even fucked up the mouthfeel. It has a lighter medium body made lighter by the fact that it's overcarbonated. No creaminess and certainly not smooth.

1.0 D: This beer is so shitty and so ungodly expensive that I can only assume that whoever brewed it and whoever priced it are going to be sitting in it someday in Satan's bathhouse. It should be obvious that I would never buy it again. I wouldn't even accept a free bottle. Hell, I wouldn't even accept a free bottle if it came with a good local sixer if it meant I had to drink this again. The only redeeming aspect of this beer is that it scratched my curiosity itch, albeit at great cost. (2,155 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottle to snifter.

A - Deep brown with one finger of light brown head.

S - Sweet jammy beery aroma, peanuts, sweet milk chocolate and roast. Not the most appealing nose.

T - Sweet jam, milk chocolate, banana in the finish. Roast and caramel throughout and fairly sweet overall.

M - Medium body. Moderate carbonation.

O - It was difficult to keep perspective on this one. It was a bit of a mess and extremely sweet, but in some ways that conflicting flavours and the almost cloying sweetness were intended by the brewery. That said, I think the flavour integration could have been much better. (599 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Dark cola body with a foamy creamy khaki head. Leaves some spots of lacing. Head stands well.

S: I pick up chocolate immediately. It smells good, I can smell the banana too. It smells like a chocolate banana scratch-and-sniff from when I was a kid. It's a shame that the peanut butter doesn't come through.

T: Right off the bat I get a lot of chocolate, then the banana is there as well. There's a hint of cedar flavor in there. I still don't notice any peanut butter. I'm miffed about that, because I love peanut butter. Overall the flavor is similar to a Halloween candy. The chocolate is predominant, and the banana is faint but it's there.

M: The mouthfeel is a bit weak for a beer like this. It just feels a bit thin and lackluster. For a beer with these flavors, I pictured something a bit creamier.

O: Overall the beer was decent, but nothing to write home about. There are better chocolate, banana, and peanut butter beers out there, that taste better than the beer individually. That being said, the chocolate flavor in the beer is very nice, it's just not quite there yet. If you are a chocolate lover, I think you could enjoy this beer if you aren't expecting much of anything else. (1,201 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This had been staring me in the face every time i walked by it and I finally capitulated. I wasn't enamoured with, but did enjoy the maple bacon doughnut beer and the novelty was worth the purchase. With this? Not so much.

A: Dark, dark brown like a porter. Big fluffy head that receded quickly yet managed to stay around. Decent enough-looking beer.

S: Very smooth and chocolate malty. I can pick up the banana and peanut butter in the nose, but just barely. Despite the initial big head this does not have much of a nose to it. As a I drink more the banana becomes more pronounced in this nose.

T: Quite bitter but not... a pleasant bitter. Someone else mentioned dish soap in their review and that's the aftertaste which remains on my tongue. The chocolate is certainly there but the banana and peanut butter are but a faint whisper. Probably for the best. This is very poorly balanced. Not actively unpleasant to drink, but far from tasty.

M: This is a pretty hefty beer to drink, not something I could have several of (even if I was a big fan of it). I imagined something very smooth. This is not smooth.

Overall: A serious misfire from a brewery that I can usually rely on for rock-solid beers. It's still beer, I'll still drink it and enjoy the act of drinking beer, but it doesn't taste very nice and there's a great deal of it in this obnoxious bottle. (1,368 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.75

1 PT 9.4 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in an imperial nonic pint glass

A - It is pretty dark with some ruby highlights. I normal pour yielded me a mountain of creamy mocha head.

S - I smell milk chocolate and floral hops.

T - At first I noticed a lot of chocolate and thought "Hey this might be a good beer!" Then I got the taste of dish soap. I get some bitter roasted malt on the finish, and if I use my imagination I can taste a little peanut butter and banana.

M - It is medium bodied and leaves a coating on my tongue for which I do not care.

O - I had hoped this beer would be better than the Maple Bacon Ale. I was wrong. It started out good until the second drink. It tastes like chocolate dish soap. How can two beers with such great sounding ingredients be so bad? Rogue has a lot better beers than this. (813 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a dark mahogany brown with a healthy two finger light brown head with great retention and massive lacing. Interesting sweet aroma of milk chocolate, stone fruit juice, hints of peanut butter and bananas, quite estery. Flavor is mild chocolate, nuts, vanilla, hint of banana, finishes drier with toasted malt and light hop bitterness. Light bodied with decent carbonation. Like the last Voodoo, this was a beer that for the first time in my life, I really wanted a paper bag to make sure that no one saw me buying it. And like the last one, I approached with trepidation but still found it an interesting, if not great ale. This tastes like a decent chocolate ale that has been watered down and blended with a light lager. You can almost taste decent ingredients crying to assert themselves. Kudos to Rogue for trying to push the envelope, but I can't help but think that this could have been better with a more substantial (dark and toasted malt) body, to support the sweet flavors. I had a good time drinking this because Rogue pretty much shows you what you're going to get with the label and the flavors were fun and interesting if rather thin and attenuated. Still definitely a one and done. Will I be tempted by the next version of the pink bottle again? Sadly, probably yes. (1,325 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -51.2%

I usually only do reviews for beers I'm more amped/pumped to try... I am a lazy writer, and I think it makes me focus more on the subtleties and nuances when I take the time to jot it down (maybe ?). However, I'm only doing this review as a sort of finger shaking/waving at Rogue. In fact, after trying this beer, I am done with the Rogue brewery altogether. Rogue was one of the first breweries I got into when I first started drinking craft beer, so it is a shame I have to have such an adverse reaction to them at this point. Lately, it has become apparent to me hat they are flat out making stupid decisions in order to gain press in the form of shock value...beer made from pages of Moby Dick, beard yeast?

I cannot believe they are charging roughly $13 for this beer, and I cannot believe someone in that company thought it was a good decision to release it at that price point. For the price alone, this beer is atrocious, and I have never been so glad to not have paid for a beer in all my life. I have one bottle left, and I am giving away to my neighbor. (1,065 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Though my taste buds still quiver at the thought of Rogue's last Voodoo Doughnut mash-up (Bacon Maple Smoked Shit Beer), that wouldn't stop me from trying their latest abomination in the making... especially when the three main ingredients are three things I love. How can you go wrong with bananas, chocolate, and peanut butter? Then again, that's what I said about bacon and maple, too.

It pours surprisingly dark; deep brown coming out of the bottle, taking on more of an obsidian shade as it sits in the glass. The head is absolutely huge; beige in color and towering to an astounding three inches. It was chunky and puffy, showed excellent staying power, and left behind some of the best lacing I've ever seen. I'm talking some FAT ass lacing, 360 degrees around. I'll give it that - it looks pretty great.

The aroma is stained with hefty amounts of overripe, nearly rotten bananas and banana skins laying on top of a slightly roasted malt blanket. Chocolate malts are lighter at first, but get stronger with warmth (and once you start trying to really look for them). The chocolate really isn't sweet or roasty or dark... it just smells like bland cocoa powder in the background and nothing more.

I'm wasn't really picking up any peanut butter in the aroma at all, at first. Maybe a faint, dry nuttiness in the very tail end, but I wouldn't say it smelled like peanut butter. Near the end of the glass, however, the peanut butter crept in a bit and took on a very slight "peanut butter cup with banana" aroma. Sounds good, right? Well, it wasn't awful. It wasn't even bad. It was just a little artificial and contrived. Maybe a little too messy when all is said and done.

The taste is a bit muddled and even a little bit of a let down from the aroma, though not nearly as much of a let down as the Bacon Maple ale. The problem is you've got banana, chocolate, and peanut butter bum rushing your palate all at one, in separate parts rather than entwined harmoniously. The mouth feel (and therefore, flavor) is also a bit watery, possible a consequence of the low alcohol tag?

Malty and lightly chocolate is the base upon which some banana extract flavor rest. Peanut butter is still the lightest component, as it kind of sits quietly in the back like the lonely, left-out adjunct. The beer has a weird, sharply bitter twinge about halfway through - I doubt it's from hoppage, so it might be from the roast of the malt. This astringency isn't very enjoyable, although this beer really wasn't that bad, and it was far from "hard to drink" like many people here would say.

I think so many people were let down by the Bacon Maple ale that they decided to write this one off before even trying it. If you go into a beer assuming it's going to taste like shit, then it'll probably taste like shit. This beer wasn't exactly "good" and it's not something I would go out and get again, but it was drinkable and it was different, and it was about six thousand times better than the Bacon Maple ale. (3,000 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Very dark brown with two fingers worth of lingering tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Sweet cocoa aroma with a hint of banana.

Taste- Sweet dark cocoa flavor with a very faint hint of banana and peanut butter at the finish. The cocoa flavor is almost too sweet at times and you have to hunt for the banana and peanut butter flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and a tad dry. low amount of carbonation.

Overall- I was not impressed by this beer. Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale was much better than this. Rogue needs to tone down the cocoa and increase the banana and peanut butter flavors to make this better. (667 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +2.4%

Full disclosure: I enter into this review 1) fully aware of the less-than-stellar reputation of this beer; and 2) as one of those freaks of nature who is not particularly fond of doughnuts, or indeed most pastries. I will endeavor to keep my opinions unbiased despite these faults, but anything noted in here must be taken with a grain of salt.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale opens to a sweet, sugary nose that makes immediately obvious the beer’s three extracts: milk chocolate is perhaps the strongest of the three aromas, reminiscent here of chocolate stouts (Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout comes to mind), hot chocolate, and iced mochas; peanut butter comes next, smelling like a more sugary version of peanut butter that might be found in a Reese’s; and bananas are last, adding a light banana aroma that blends well with the peanut butter and chocolate. The aromas as a whole are fairly light, and the aforementioned extracts make up at least three-quarters to four-fifths of the detectable aromas, the rest comprised of small hints of caramel and brown sugar, very light ash, biscuit, pie crust, and a few scattered berry and fig fruit esters, as well as a pinch of super sweet confectioner’s sugar. As a whole, the aromas are nice, obviously sporting a heavy addition of aromas from the bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate, but these blending nicely together in dessert-like fashion, mixing with the breads to form a chocolate, peanut butter, and banana pie aroma. The effect is admittedly strange, and does come across as very sweet, offering little to suggest that the beverage is in fact a beer, but surprisingly pleasant.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a shot of chocolate and bananas, tasting very much like sliced bananas dipped in a mixture of light and dark chocolate, and that covered in sprinkles of sugary peanut crumble. The effect is heavily dessert-like, tasting not so much like a doughnut as it does something that would be offered at a carnival. These dessert-like flavors sit atop a light bed of ash, biscuit, and cracker, lending a bit more of a pie crust flavor. What is particularly jarring here is not the doughnut or sweet flavors, but the hops, which bring in a bitter pine and grapefruit rind note that jars with the sweetness, like taking a bite of fresh grapefruit after brushing your teeth. The orange fruit esters don’t help with this sensation, muddling the waters with further citrusy notes. Over the course of several sips, much of the initial nuance of the early flavors is lost, and the bitter hop and citrus notes become stronger, clashing heavily with the sweet chocolate, peanut butter, and banana dessert notes, so that the aftertaste becomes a dry, astringent strangeness: grapefruit rind and fresh cut grass mixed with chocolate and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is medium-light, and carbonation is medium to medium-heavy, fizzing on the tongue.

Overall, the beer seems deeply divided, offering on the one hand a nice set of sweet dessert notes that, while offering few traditional beer flavors, are still tasty; and on the other hand, a bitter, citrusy, and grassy thread that wouldn’t be out of place in a light IPA. The problem is that these flavor sets would be decent by themselves, but don’t work together, and the beer feels like it needed to make up its mind whether it wanted to be a dessert beer, or a lightly-hopped pilsner. (3,430 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a dark brown-black with a thin, fizzy tan mousse that takes very little time to settle. Head retention is surprisingly good; instead of completely dissipating, the head just kind of settles and sticks around from there. Lacing is fairly minimal.

S: Strong aromas of banana, dark chocolate, and peanut butter assault the nose. The smell, at least to start, is almost cake-like. Subtle scents of roasted grain, coffee, heavy cream, and vanilla bean follow. These aromas clash with the over-the-top cake-like scents of banana, chocolate, and peanut butter, so the overall effect is a bit off-putting.

T: Sweet notes of chocolate, banana, and peanut butter are evident on the entry, but are quickly undercut by flavors of chalk, minerals, grassy hops, burnt toast, roasted grain, heavy cream, coffee, and vanilla bean. The finish is initially very sweet with the expected banana, chocolate, and peanut butter notes, but soon turns dry and chewy with odd ash-like notes balanced by herbs, roasted grain, and some sort of soapy, harsh flavor.

M: Very light in body, which is surprising because I was expecting something along the lines of Southern Tier's Mokah or Creme Brulee, something full-bodied, velvety, smooth, luscious, and ludicrously decadent. Instead, this beer is as dry as dust and woefully slight in the mouth. Carbonation is extremely intense. The light body, extreme dryness, and firm carbonation make this ale very difficult to drink. I had to force myself to finish the bottle.

O: This is the kind of beer that is hard to review because it is both so strange and so bad that words cannot do it justic. I was not expecting to be wowed by this beer, but I at least expected to find something enjoyable about it. Sadly, I couldn't find a single redeeming characteristic. It looks odd, smells odd, tastes odd, and feels odd-in other words, it's an odd bird. I'll give the brewers at Rogue a few points for creativity and bravery here, but unfortunately that's all I can do. If awkward could be fermented and bottled, it would be this beer or something really close to it. (2,093 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +29.5%

Props to joemcgrath27 for this oddity...

A - Pours almost opaque with a thin ruby red edge, thumb of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Scent is dominated by dark cocoa, musty bread and hint of banana sweetness.

T - The flavour profile continues to be dominated by dark cocoa, with the banana sweetness coming through on the finish and lingering. Reminiscent of a banana split with chocolate ice cream, though the peanut butter continues to elude me. I suppose there a hint of nuttiness presence, but it would've been nice to see a bit more on the palette.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and surprisingly dry.

O - I think I'll continue to be an outlier on the review of the Voodoo Doughnut series. Certainly the peanut butter was a tad underwhelming, but the banana sweetness did come through and was very complementary to the chocolate notes. It's a porter with a unique banana sweetness and a touch of nuttiness. I suspect if they weren't as ambitious in the description of the beer (forcing the drinkers to expect a blast of banana and peanut butter) the reviews would be a lot higher. Nowhere near deserving of the poor reviews, and if given the opportunity I would try it again. (1,204 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -28.5%

I got a chance to try this at a friends house and while I know the person who brought it was trolling I am pretty sure Rogue is trolling beer geeks by making this. It was a truly awful beer. Dark brown, almost looked like a stout. Aroma was just off, none of the featured ingredients were present, eww. Flavor was quite bad, hints of chocolate but mostly just yuck. I would never drink this beer again, shame on you Rogue. (422 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +15.6%

22 oz. bottle with no apparent bottled on date present. Looking forward to trying this new concoction from Rogue regardless whether it turns out to be disgusting or not. I tried the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale and thought it was bearable so we'll see what's up here.

Poured into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter, bottle shared with some friends.

A - Pours a light cherry dark brown cola colored body with some froth. No lacing. Giant three finger fluffy creamy khaki colored head that dies down somewhat fast.

S - Smell is of creamy melted chocolate, marshmallow fluff. Light tropical banana bread smells are definitely present. Works together well but the aromas don't seem to stick together very well. Has some creamy root beer float type qualities to it, which I have observed in other Rogue beers before.

T - Taste kind of falls short. Chocolate is definitely present but not overwhelming. Peanut butter not really noticeable. Thin bodied and I'm not getting much genuine banana from the taste either. Has some cola like qualities to it also.

M - Feel is a bit chalky and dry with some bitterness from the chocolate, which seems to be the main attraction here.

Overall, a strange beer from Rogue. On par with what I was expecting. Definitely more drinkable than the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale, and I would probably be interested in trying them both again, just for comparison.

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Peanut Butter, & Banana Ale---3.5/5 (1,484 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -18.6%

Bonus points for a Pepto pink bottle. Clear, deep dark brown color. Swarthy tan head that settles into a thick blanket and coats my glass in a foamy netting.

Hooray for the power of suggestion! Probably partially due to the label saying banana chocolate peanut butter and probably partially due to a boatload of extracts this beer does kinda taste like chocolate peanut butter banana. Mostly chocolate and banana though.

Taste very extract-y. For instance the banana tastes like banana runts more than actual banana. There's a horrendous antiseptic and bug spray combo in back that is unbearable.

Drainpour. (613 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Let the grab-bag of flavors commence! This time, the Rogue brewers live up to their name as they team up with Voodoo Doughnut for an ale that can only be described as "crazy" (unless you're Elvis) with the taste of peanut butter, banana, and chocolate- yea, we're still talking about beer, I think.

Its hazy brown body certainly fits the chocolaty tone, even as the arid head billows mildly up the glass. Light in its retention, its evident that the oils from chocolate and peanut butter has impeded its head structure. Light lacing ensues in the beer's wake.

Dominated by the character of chocolate, the taste of Belgian bitter-sweet chocolate truffles command attention with only an insinuation of banana and peanut butter lurking behind. The subtle backbone of roasted barley offers a mild nutty and coffee tone also to permeate in the ales middle palate. An inquisitve finish of hops and dry malt taste starts to favor a more "beer-like" tone as the palate meanders away from the chocolaty overtone.

Surprisingly, the ale is only medium weighted- causing the beer to seem somewhat flimsy particulary in its finish. Its body quivers into a watery and grainy bit late trying to capture some semblance of beer and exposes a grain-derived astringency and an ill-hopped bite that leaves the palate unsettled and unsure.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate Banana & Peanut Butter ale rests on the taste buds in identical fashion of Tootsie Roll candies (wax wrapping and all)! As fascinating and fun as the beer it- it sorely suffers from trying to resemble beer. It tries to be hopped, it tries to be dry in finish, it tries to be drinkable. Rogue would be better of getting out of the beer's way and letting the rich textures and overwhelming flavor additions shine. (1,760 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle split and poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a dark brown appearing black in the glass with a 2 finger light khaki head. Some large bubbles break up the head as it slowly dissipates. Leaves a few spots of lacing.

S: Initial smell from opening the bottle was a chocolate frosting aroma. Banana definitely comes through when its poured into a glass. Certainly accomplishes what it sets out to.

T: Actually it really is what you would expect from a beer of this name. I get the banana and chocolate as though as very strong in the flavor but not too much peanut butter. Nice blend, a bit on the sweet side but so are doughnuts. Mostly a chalky chocolate flavor.

M: Medium body with a nice creaminess to it which I credit to the peanut butter. Average carbonation. Finish isnt too sticky for the sweetness.

Overall I dont understand all the hate for the Voodoo Doughnut series. Both have been accurate to their names and a new beer experience. Worth a shot as long as the price isnt outrageous. (1,008 characters)

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale from Rogue Ales