Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale - Rogue Ales

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter AleVoodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale

poor

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 12-03-2012

Rogue Ales has again collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker's dozen ingredients including chocolate, banana and peanut butter to match Voodoo’s "Memphis Mafia" doughnut- a nod to Elvis' entourage
Ratings: 746 | Reviews: 126
3.26/5  rDev +16.8%

750 ml bottle into signature pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours crystal clear very dark brown color with a 1-2 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of milk chocolate, cocoa, banana, toffee, light peanut butter, toast, bread, and toasted earthiness. Ok aromas with interesting balance of malt, banana, and light peanut butter notes; smells pretty artificial, but has good strength. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, toast, banana, toffee, bread, light peanut butter, light roast, floral, and toasted earthiness. Lingering notes of milk chocolate, cocoa, banana, toast, light peanut butter, light roast, floral, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a bit. Pretty solid balance and robustness of malt and extract flavors; with zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and smooth mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a pretty solid experimental flavored beer. Ok balance and robustness of malt and extract flavors; and smooth to drink. A fairly enjoyable offering.

2.32/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

From a 650 ml pink enameled (though brown underneath) bottle. Pours out a deep dark brown hue with faint dark garnet highlights when held to direct light. Also present are suspended particles, especially when the remainder of the bottle is poured. TALL spongy beige head that settles very slowly, and leaves a thick coating of lacing in its wake. This is a two pour attempt to fill the glass.

Immediate smell of sweet chocolate the moment the cap is removed, and it goes strong after two pour attempts. Some nutty sweetness as well, like hazelnut, with some fruit. More of a strawberry character than anything akin to banana.

Aaaand....nope. No. Not sure what is going on in the flavour dep't, but it doesn't quite match the description on the label. Grainy malt up front with some astringent nuttiness, akin more to the nut husk or shell than the meat, and not peanut-like. Finish somehow gains a mild creamy peanut butter character, with bitter dark chocolate appearing and lingering on in the aftertaste, along with even more of that astringent nut shell. No banana, or any ester to speak of present throughout. Flavour profile in general is messy, disjointed, and somewhat confusing. I wouldn't label them as off-flavours or defective, more like not properly executed. Towards the end a bitter green banana peel character emerges and starts to dominate everything else. Well, there's the banana then....

Mouthfeel is rather nondescript, not quite like slurry (although that was my initial impression, especially combined with the flavour profile), but still has a rather turbid texture to it. The moderate carbonation tends to off-set things more than provide harmony or drinkability. It's almost as confused as the flavour.

I should have known.... In the immortal words of George W. Bush: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....we, um....we won't be fooled again." I personally found the first Voodoo Doughnut beer beyond disappointing, I should have known to be wary. I'm aware this is a rather harsh review, but when a company puts so much effort into marketing a beer like this, and then with the rather exorbitant price tag associated with it, the consumer is in a position to be brutally honest after buying the ticket and taking the trip. Lesson learned Rogue, twice bitten with this series....

2.78/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I hope they get this right after last tragedy and it pours a dark dirty brown hue with a creamy two finger head that slowly resides to a a smog of cloud across the top and a rim of lacing to match,the smell is basically an even mix of bananna,chocolate,peanut butter and the slightest hint of bubblegum,the mouthfeel is just over light bodied and way over carbonated making the mouthfeel rather rough and all I get on taste is an artificial blend of bananna,chocolate and peanut butter finished off with a herbal green cocoa bean bittersweetness and overall you guys gave proven your point what may make a sensational donought does not necessarily make a good beer please quit while your behind and u waste any more money cheers.

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The aroma just like eating a banana.
Flavor: Little watery. at around 5% it was ok
I prefer if it had more of peanut butter character. The doughnut glaze in the middle of the taste was a little different.
The overall: was like eating a light banana with no other ingredients like they mentioned.

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer was a little disappointing. It was very pricey an d did not measure to what I thought it was going to be. I expected a journey through bananas and Pb doughnuts. It was weak. I would definitely not buy it again. I was a one time gimmick. I like the bottle though.

3.38/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark cola like brown with a two finger khaki color head. The head gives way to edging and fingers of lace. The aroma is of dark chocolate with a hint of peanut butter than a ripe banana smell. The taste follows suit. Up front is deep chocolate taste with a little toasty taste. There is a slight peanut butter flavor before banana takes over at the end. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated and creamy. Overall it was interesting...the flavor profile swirls around from sip to sip. It is worth a try but only one try.

2.74/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a beautiful dark brown, nearly opaque with a huge fluffy tan head. Great retention and really nice lacing.
Smell is malt, an odd, fake Tootsie Roll like chocolate note, something peanut like and nothing else.
Taste is roasted malt, Tootsie Roll chocolate, something that might be peanuts and we're done.
Medium body, lighter effervescence. Weirdly, I think I would prefer this beer without the additions of chocolate, etc. Poor execution on this one. Maple Bacon Doughnut was great, had hoped this would be close. Rogue screwed up again.

3.37/5  rDev +20.8%

Saw the bottle and had to try it, as I love peanut butter

A- Poured dark with 2 fingers of tan head. Looks like Coca-Cola, except missing the bubbles. Leaves some lacing, not much.

S- Smells like cocoa and on-the-brink-of-overripe bananas. Not like mass produced candy bar chocolate, but rather the imported, 90% cocoa dark chocolate. Disappointingly, no peanut butter.

T- Taste follows smell. On the front is strong cocoa flavor with slightly sour but still sweet ripe bananas. Very tasty. Still no peanut butter that I can detect, but good none the less.

M- Medium, buttery

O- A fun experiment, but not a repeater. Wish the peanut butter was more available. Very good, chocolate taste. Almost like drinking a banana flavored dark chocolate bar.

2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours like a stout. Decent lacing. Felt like I was pouring a pint of Samuel smith's.

Smells delicious. You can pick up the banana easily. The chocolate hides. The peanut butter is ever so faintly present.

All three of the selling point flavors are there. The chocolate shines through the most. The peanut butter is very tough to pick up. It is in the after taste. I couldn't notice the banana unless I made myself search for it.

The aftertaste ruined it for me. It has a very metallic taste to it. This would have been so delicious as a stout. I don't feel as if I wasted my money on this, but I would not buy it again. Maybe halvesies with a buddy down the road.

3.54/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours mahogany with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Nice lacing & okay head retention

S: Bananas & chocolate

T: Cocoa, faint smokeyness & banana up front. Richer chocolate. some banana & not getting any peanut butter as this warms. Finishes with chocolate, a touch of banana & charred grain

MF: Thinnish, vigirous carbonation

Not all I hoped, but not bad,, worth a try, needed at least 2% abv above what this is

A: Poured light brown, no lacing, about 2 fingers for the head...

S: Hmmm malt is prominent, faint traces of peanut butter and banana, smells very sweet!

T: Light, almost like a chocolate astringent I would say, but not in a bad way. There is minimal alcohol taste, you can def get the aftertaste of light peanut butter.

M: Light to medium body...not too into the medium

O: Not too bad! Being new to the beer scene I am always experimenting, so my review might be a tad off, but hey, to each their own. I dig the flavor mash up, leaves me wondering what else they have in store.

2.94/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The smell was strong like a typical beer but you also sense a slight hint of chocolate. I was real curious about the chocolate, peanut butter, and banana combination which you can't find everyday. On the immediate taste you can sense the chocolate and banana combination which settles quite well with the lasting flavor of peanut butter. For a fruit flavored beer I wouldn't rank among my favorites which are cherry and tangerine so far in this category. I would recommend trying if you can find it. This is a seasonal special with est. 159 calories per and 5.3% ABV.

2.65/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

$11.20 for the bottle.

A- it pours like a Stout, black in colour, 2 finger head of tannish foam, good lacing.

S- I smell powdered doughnuts, some peanut butter and yes, bananas. Not a bad nose.

T- doughnuts, peanut butter, bananas...truth in advertising here but oh hell, why?

M- it's just fine. Too bad this concoction doesn't back up the mouthfeel. Hey, mouthfeel is now a real word! ;^)

O- doughnut and banana...could have tasted like a twinkie when twinkies first came out and I might have dug that. This is a trio of flavours thrown together that produce zero harmony. Laws no, never again.

Edit: I forgot to mention the tasty chocolate flavour I'm getting; very reminiscent of their Chocolate Stout. A saving grace?

2.84/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours a muddy brown color with 2+ fingers of tan head that slowly dies down to a cap

S: Starts off with the chocolate and banana (which is definitely on the extract side) with a hint of peanut butter. A little bit of chocolate malt in there as well

T: Starts off with the banana and a little bit of chocolate. Goes into more chocolate malt sweetness and maybe a hint of peanut butter. Finishes lightly sweet

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: In theory, this could be a good beer if pulled off correctly. This, however, is more of a banana extract mixed with chocolate malt and a touch of peanut butter beer and really doesn't work. I'd like to see the peanut butter aspect come out a little more and have the banana taste real and not so much like extract. I enjoyed the other Voodoo beer. This one, not so much

1.76/5  rDev -36.9%

Appearance - Pours a dark, opaque chocolate color with a thick brown head.

Smell - Pure, one-note jelly. Smells sickly sweet like a jelly bean or an off homebrew.

Taste - Terrible. How disappointing. Again, one-note jelly but stronger. There's some mildly interesting chocolate malt underneath a horrible, astringent and artificial flavor that in no way resembles peanut butter, banana etc.

Mouthfeel - Don't know. I didn't want to keep it in my mouth long enough.

Overall - Did not finish the bottle. Very disappointing.

2.73/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle into a goblet.

Brown like a Hershey bar, totally opaque. One finger of creamy, merengue-like head is tan in color and recedes only slowly.

When sniffed from the bottle, cocoa dominates the aroma. Beautiful milk chocolate with hints of peanuts and roast. Hot chocolate. In a glass with some head, banana is the leader. Very sweet, a little artificial, kind of like banana runts. More chocolate, a hint of biscuits.

The front of the flavor is all banana runts -- crushed, dusty, artificial. Untamed bitterness sweeps in upon the swallow, settling into the back of the tongue with acrid and unfortunate strength. Toast and peanut skins longer after the finish. The dry finish does nothing to deter the bitter bite.

Medium light body, mild carbonation, large-bubbled and fizzy.

I was a fan of the first Voodoo Doughnut collaboration. But not this one. Too bitter, too much banana, not enough chocolate or PB.

3.34/5  rDev +19.7%

bomber into snifter

look is a dark brown with minimal head/lacing and all that jazz/BB. smell is a very odd sweet smell, like artificial PB&J? its not a bad scent. just weird. taste is light and crisp, with roasted malts and a sweet burnt taste. not picking up any significant PB or chocolate, and absolutely no banana.

weird beer that doesn't taste bad, but fails at being what it describes.

1.64/5  rDev -41.2%

I openly hate Rogue and I mega-hated the last Voodoo Abomination. That said, curiosity is a powerful force, so here I am drinking what is sure to be another egregious beer experience. Poured into a snifter.

3.5 A: Dark brown almost black color. Two fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is about average and a decent amount of lacing is left.

2.0 S: Hmmm. This is certainly unholy and I'm sure that Satan bathes in this, but I can't figure out how much I hate it or even if I hate it. Well, I'm pretty sure I hate it. I guess this is what I'd expect from a chocolate, peanut butter, and banana plug-in air freshener. It pretty much reeks of artificial. The main and only aromas that aren't blocked out are the banana, peanut butter, and chocolate. For how much this beer cost, they could have used real chocolate and peanuts and got banana out of the yeast, but that wouldn't be the bullshit way of making this.

1.25 T: It certainly also tastes like what is in it - chocolate extract, banana extract, and peanut butter extract. It doesn't matter how good the extract is, it's always the same and it's always shitty in beer. This tastes like a homebrew experiment. The flavors are artificial, don't flow well at all, and are all either too intense or muted. This has way too much bitterness for what it is. There's too much astringency (I guess from one of the extracts). The base offers no mediation. I don't care enough to attempt to pick out any flavors below the mess. It tastes like extract.

2.5 M: They even fucked up the mouthfeel. It has a lighter medium body made lighter by the fact that it's overcarbonated. No creaminess and certainly not smooth.

1.0 D: This beer is so shitty and so ungodly expensive that I can only assume that whoever brewed it and whoever priced it are going to be sitting in it someday in Satan's bathhouse. It should be obvious that I would never buy it again. I wouldn't even accept a free bottle. Hell, I wouldn't even accept a free bottle if it came with a good local sixer if it meant I had to drink this again. The only redeeming aspect of this beer is that it scratched my curiosity itch, albeit at great cost.

2.9/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottle to snifter.

A - Deep brown with one finger of light brown head.

S - Sweet jammy beery aroma, peanuts, sweet milk chocolate and roast. Not the most appealing nose.

T - Sweet jam, milk chocolate, banana in the finish. Roast and caramel throughout and fairly sweet overall.

M - Medium body. Moderate carbonation.

O - It was difficult to keep perspective on this one. It was a bit of a mess and extremely sweet, but in some ways that conflicting flavours and the almost cloying sweetness were intended by the brewery. That said, I think the flavour integration could have been much better.

3.36/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Dark cola body with a foamy creamy khaki head. Leaves some spots of lacing. Head stands well.

S: I pick up chocolate immediately. It smells good, I can smell the banana too. It smells like a chocolate banana scratch-and-sniff from when I was a kid. It's a shame that the peanut butter doesn't come through.

T: Right off the bat I get a lot of chocolate, then the banana is there as well. There's a hint of cedar flavor in there. I still don't notice any peanut butter. I'm miffed about that, because I love peanut butter. Overall the flavor is similar to a Halloween candy. The chocolate is predominant, and the banana is faint but it's there.

M: The mouthfeel is a bit weak for a beer like this. It just feels a bit thin and lackluster. For a beer with these flavors, I pictured something a bit creamier.

O: Overall the beer was decent, but nothing to write home about. There are better chocolate, banana, and peanut butter beers out there, that taste better than the beer individually. That being said, the chocolate flavor in the beer is very nice, it's just not quite there yet. If you are a chocolate lover, I think you could enjoy this beer if you aren't expecting much of anything else.

2.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This had been staring me in the face every time i walked by it and I finally capitulated. I wasn't enamoured with, but did enjoy the maple bacon doughnut beer and the novelty was worth the purchase. With this? Not so much.

A: Dark, dark brown like a porter. Big fluffy head that receded quickly yet managed to stay around. Decent enough-looking beer.

S: Very smooth and chocolate malty. I can pick up the banana and peanut butter in the nose, but just barely. Despite the initial big head this does not have much of a nose to it. As a I drink more the banana becomes more pronounced in this nose.

T: Quite bitter but not... a pleasant bitter. Someone else mentioned dish soap in their review and that's the aftertaste which remains on my tongue. The chocolate is certainly there but the banana and peanut butter are but a faint whisper. Probably for the best. This is very poorly balanced. Not actively unpleasant to drink, but far from tasty.

M: This is a pretty hefty beer to drink, not something I could have several of (even if I was a big fan of it). I imagined something very smooth. This is not smooth.

Overall: A serious misfire from a brewery that I can usually rely on for rock-solid beers. It's still beer, I'll still drink it and enjoy the act of drinking beer, but it doesn't taste very nice and there's a great deal of it in this obnoxious bottle.

2.82/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.75

1 PT 9.4 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in an imperial nonic pint glass

A - It is pretty dark with some ruby highlights. I normal pour yielded me a mountain of creamy mocha head.

S - I smell milk chocolate and floral hops.

T - At first I noticed a lot of chocolate and thought "Hey this might be a good beer!" Then I got the taste of dish soap. I get some bitter roasted malt on the finish, and if I use my imagination I can taste a little peanut butter and banana.

M - It is medium bodied and leaves a coating on my tongue for which I do not care.

O - I had hoped this beer would be better than the Maple Bacon Ale. I was wrong. It started out good until the second drink. It tastes like chocolate dish soap. How can two beers with such great sounding ingredients be so bad? Rogue has a lot better beers than this.

3.59/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a dark mahogany brown with a healthy two finger light brown head with great retention and massive lacing. Interesting sweet aroma of milk chocolate, stone fruit juice, hints of peanut butter and bananas, quite estery. Flavor is mild chocolate, nuts, vanilla, hint of banana, finishes drier with toasted malt and light hop bitterness. Light bodied with decent carbonation. Like the last Voodoo, this was a beer that for the first time in my life, I really wanted a paper bag to make sure that no one saw me buying it. And like the last one, I approached with trepidation but still found it an interesting, if not great ale. This tastes like a decent chocolate ale that has been watered down and blended with a light lager. You can almost taste decent ingredients crying to assert themselves. Kudos to Rogue for trying to push the envelope, but I can't help but think that this could have been better with a more substantial (dark and toasted malt) body, to support the sweet flavors. I had a good time drinking this because Rogue pretty much shows you what you're going to get with the label and the flavors were fun and interesting if rather thin and attenuated. Still definitely a one and done. Will I be tempted by the next version of the pink bottle again? Sadly, probably yes.

1.44/5  rDev -48.4%

I usually only do reviews for beers I'm more amped/pumped to try... I am a lazy writer, and I think it makes me focus more on the subtleties and nuances when I take the time to jot it down (maybe ?). However, I'm only doing this review as a sort of finger shaking/waving at Rogue. In fact, after trying this beer, I am done with the Rogue brewery altogether. Rogue was one of the first breweries I got into when I first started drinking craft beer, so it is a shame I have to have such an adverse reaction to them at this point. Lately, it has become apparent to me hat they are flat out making stupid decisions in order to gain press in the form of shock value...beer made from pages of Moby Dick, beard yeast?

I cannot believe they are charging roughly $13 for this beer, and I cannot believe someone in that company thought it was a good decision to release it at that price point. For the price alone, this beer is atrocious, and I have never been so glad to not have paid for a beer in all my life. I have one bottle left, and I am giving away to my neighbor.

3.14/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Though my taste buds still quiver at the thought of Rogue's last Voodoo Doughnut mash-up (Bacon Maple Smoked Shit Beer), that wouldn't stop me from trying their latest abomination in the making... especially when the three main ingredients are three things I love. How can you go wrong with bananas, chocolate, and peanut butter? Then again, that's what I said about bacon and maple, too.

It pours surprisingly dark; deep brown coming out of the bottle, taking on more of an obsidian shade as it sits in the glass. The head is absolutely huge; beige in color and towering to an astounding three inches. It was chunky and puffy, showed excellent staying power, and left behind some of the best lacing I've ever seen. I'm talking some FAT ass lacing, 360 degrees around. I'll give it that - it looks pretty great.

The aroma is stained with hefty amounts of overripe, nearly rotten bananas and banana skins laying on top of a slightly roasted malt blanket. Chocolate malts are lighter at first, but get stronger with warmth (and once you start trying to really look for them). The chocolate really isn't sweet or roasty or dark... it just smells like bland cocoa powder in the background and nothing more.

I'm wasn't really picking up any peanut butter in the aroma at all, at first. Maybe a faint, dry nuttiness in the very tail end, but I wouldn't say it smelled like peanut butter. Near the end of the glass, however, the peanut butter crept in a bit and took on a very slight "peanut butter cup with banana" aroma. Sounds good, right? Well, it wasn't awful. It wasn't even bad. It was just a little artificial and contrived. Maybe a little too messy when all is said and done.

The taste is a bit muddled and even a little bit of a let down from the aroma, though not nearly as much of a let down as the Bacon Maple ale. The problem is you've got banana, chocolate, and peanut butter bum rushing your palate all at one, in separate parts rather than entwined harmoniously. The mouth feel (and therefore, flavor) is also a bit watery, possible a consequence of the low alcohol tag?

Malty and lightly chocolate is the base upon which some banana extract flavor rest. Peanut butter is still the lightest component, as it kind of sits quietly in the back like the lonely, left-out adjunct. The beer has a weird, sharply bitter twinge about halfway through - I doubt it's from hoppage, so it might be from the roast of the malt. This astringency isn't very enjoyable, although this beer really wasn't that bad, and it was far from "hard to drink" like many people here would say.

I think so many people were let down by the Bacon Maple ale that they decided to write this one off before even trying it. If you go into a beer assuming it's going to taste like shit, then it'll probably taste like shit. This beer wasn't exactly "good" and it's not something I would go out and get again, but it was drinkable and it was different, and it was about six thousand times better than the Bacon Maple ale.

Voodoo Doughnut Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter Ale from Rogue Ales