Beard Beer - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 07-05-2013

1.81/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - 2.25 - Poured a clear gold with lot of murky haze. For the ABV being so low, this beer has absolutely pathetic head potential and retention, pretty much nonexistent.
S - 1.75 - Smells like a domestic beer. There MIGHT be the absolute most faint trace of a grapefruit hoppy smell far far in the background, but aromas of beers such as Bud Light, Keystone and Coors take center stage.
T - 1.25 - There is a decently pleasant sweetness upfront with a nice bite of carbonation, but suddenly a foul farmhouse-esque funk sets in, ending with a sharp metallic bite. Not pleasant in the least. After taste is quite pleasant though.
F - 3.5 - Decently crispy, medium thin body. Slight bit of oiliness to it.
O - 1.5 - The upfront flavors and after taste are decent, but the main bulk of the experience is a harsh and metallic one. I'm glad I purchased for the novel concept of the beer and to keep the bottle, but the experience of it was pretty bad.

2.19/5  rDev -38.8%

650 ML bottle
Served in a pint glass

L - It is golden in color with a slight haze. It is topped with three inches of off-white head.

S - It smells skunked. I get a little funk, but the Corona/ass smell overpowers my nose.

T - It tastes like a Corona was left out in the Mexican desert for a week in the summer. Then it was exposed to wild yeast.

M - Moderate

O - That is six dollars that I wish I still had in my pocket.

2.45/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours two fingers of head on a cloudy medium straw colored body.
The aroma is a little smoke, green olives in brine, aged creek water and old vegetables. Not awesome.
The taste is younger creek water, mild lemon bitterness and a watery finish.
The texture is softer with moderate carbonation.
I would never drink this again. An idea worth enjoying as a homebrew experiment.

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

From Baird Beer we go to Beard Beer [There. See. Did. I. What?]. Yes, I hear your collective groans at yet another review of another Rogue brew... What?! That groan was about my terrible Baird/Beard pun? I thought it was rather clever and dashing, like James Bond’s underpants - the Sean Connery James Bond of course... anyway I’ve got this and another Rogue beer to review as they were the only examples of styles I’ve never tried that I could get my hands on - in Beard Beers case ‘American Wild Ale’ - though I have [spoiler alert] read reviews saying it was a lacklustre example of the style, I don’t care - I want to review one of every style *evil chanting* “one of every style, one of every style”.

Poured from a ye olde weird American-sized 650ml tallie into a Duvel tulip.

A: Oh yeah, before you drink this beer do yourself a favour and DO NOT READ where it gets its name. This fine brew presents itself with a hazy orange body and an immense 1 and a half inch white head that soon whittles down to a less-immense 1 cm, because I love throwing metric and imperial in the same sentence. 7/10.

S: Stewed vegetable alert: This brew smells like stewed vegetables. That is all. I hope this isn’t going to be a Delirium Tremens [I’m talking about my review of DT not actual DT which would also suck] introduction to the American Wild Ale style. Hints of sweet caramel malt and some spiciness struggle to overcome the stewed veggies but they have a real fight on their hands with this funk. 2/10.

T: Flavour is a huge step up (though I still suspect this is an infected bottle) with a Belgian Tripel-esque profile: Sweet candi sugar/honey base, coriander spice, cider apple and cloves. The stew vegetables still comes through if you breath in whilst sipping - it’s a bizarre and distracting note that kind of ruins this beer a little. It has a hint of tartness and is dry in the finish. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a prickly but light carbonation. 7/10.

D: The story behind the beer didn’t get me retching - yeast is yeast no matter where/how it was raised so really there’s little difference between beard yeast and the cellar yeast where Lambics are brewed. What did make me retch, and really struggle to finish this brew, was the stewed veggie aroma that I’ve only encountered before in Delirium Tremens - I did a re-review of that brew and found that it must have been an infected bottle - I don’t have that luxury with this being a one-off limited release, however it served its box-ticking purpose, NEXT! 5/10.

Food match: Vegetable stew anyone???

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

I think my wife wanted to throw up when I had her read the label on the back about the origin of this beer. Yes, inspired by head brewer's beard and the "who-knows-what" that is found within. I feel like this isn't a serious attempt of making anything great that will be around season after season. Plus what would they do once the guy with the beard moves on or passes on?

Beer poured a medium, golden with little to no head. Aroma was musty, earthy with a bit of funk. Original sips were prickly on the lips due to medium+ carbonation. Taste reflected the aroma, on the funky side. It has a low IBU and wasn't bitter at all. Viscosity was average. As I let the beer warm, it left more of a fruity aftertaste. Been there, tried that. Won't be drinking this one again unless it was the only option.

I don't know much about rating beer. With that being said, I thought this beer was not bad tasting, but the idea of it being made from the yeast of a man's beard messed with my mind so much that I wouldn't finish drinking it. However, I like the novelty of it. I like being able to say I drank a beer made from a man's beard! @.@

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I really didn't know what to expect from this one. Thanks to one of my co-workers (Joe) he picked up this beer after reading the history behind it. (Wild yeast from the beard).

Without pouring it, it looked like a wheat style beer, a bit cloudy. The aroma was a combination of a wheat ale and a saison ... lots of aromatic spices.

The taste to me was a cross between those two types of beer with somewhat of a leading edge towards the saison/farmhouse ale style

Worth trying - once

3.22/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My advice: read the bottle first, then ignore what you read, and then drink it for the experience, because it's not a good enough beer to pay a lot or go out of your way for, but it is good enough to add to that beer bucket list of yours. "Yeah, I once had a beer brewed with the yeast of the brewer's beard..." ""

Pours a hazy pale yellow with medium fizz and a good deal of carbonation. In all honesty, aside from a bit of lemongrass and a biscuity, yeasty (don't gag!) smell, this one kinda reminds me of Yuengling a bit. Odd for a really pale ale, but that's where it takes me. A bit sweet at first with more lemongrass on the palate, and then a dry, crisp finish, and again, pretty heavy soda-level carbonation.

Like I said, this beer didn't blow my mind and I won't be craving a second anytime soon (sadly, I bought two though), but worth it for the story and a reasonably tasty brew anyway, so extra overall points for being cool.

3.24/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass. Nice light yellow color with a big white head. Lots of carbonation and nice lacing on the glass. The mouth feel is tart/sharp. The favors are what I would expect from a wild yeast. A back taste of sour with hints of citrus and some spicing. I would call it a wild taste. Many people who haven't tasted a wild ale find the favors offish. This ale isn't a sour, it's wild. A great class of beer. Goes well with many foods.

3.26/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at Liquor Shed with some apprehension.

A hazy medium gold/yellow colour, the foam does it's thing with a good head and good lacing.

The nose, to me, has a lot of citrus and clove, maybe not so much citrus, more of a coriander smell. I get some sweet that reminds me of candi sugar, a hint of something directing me towards the tart but maybe not.

Okay, the taste doesn't live up to the smell. Clove, some coriander, a hint or 2 of pepper, some sweetness that, how do I put this, comes from a low grade candi sugar, if that even exists. The smell was lively and vibrant, tasting leaves a bit to desired for my palate.

This beer does pretty much nothing for my palate. Yeah, I glad I tried it and got this review in but this is definitely a one off.

3.29/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Pale yellow and bubbly like soda. Vigorous pour to bring up the head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet maltiness with apples and grapefruit

T - Big sweet malts, lots of citrus, lemon and grapefruit. Only slightly bitter and not much presence of alcohol.

M - Light body with high carbonation. Very soda like and not very sticky.

O - It's an ok beer but nothing really exciting other than the source of the yeast. Definitely a good conversation starter but not a beer I'll come back to.

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle served in imperial pint glass. Beer is neutral amber in color with a moderate white head, and big soda bubbles rising from the bottom. Fairly neutral ale-type aroma as well, with a little hint of adjuncty sweetness. Doesn't smell like a sour ale, which I'd feared from the "beard"/wild ale description. Flavor brings a little bit of funk but is actually quite restrained, while bringing in some clove and coriander flavors. The zesty carbonation actually works well with the mild sourness profile and gentle dose of NW hops. All in all a super well balanced brew if not necessary any more interesting than could be hoped from the label.

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Its a love hate story: when you hear that there's a beer that's made from the cultivated yeast from the brewmaster's beard; you think, "awesome!". But then when you're asked to taste it, the though of chucking down a bristle or two causes the throat to clinch. Its both the masterful part of their campaign and its greatest hindrance all in the same.

But as the beer pours, its a lightly milky gold color with glimmers of both straw and copper. Its dainty rise of foam gives the beer a scattered head character after just a minute or so. With retention being light and retention in question, the appearance is slightly faltering as if dispensed from cask.

Zesty and acidic, its aromas are lightly of bread and citrus. A little on the doughy side, the scent of lemon, apple and lime ride along side of the yeast and malt. Modestly spicy with clove, white pepper and mint, the beer seems quite Hefeweizen-like- especially with its light vanilla character.

Then to taste, the beer quickly sheds its short-lived grainy-sweet taste in order to favor a vivid citrus and grassy taste. Lemons, limes, grapefruits, apples and berries all play into its mix while light zinfindale acidity, saltwater taffy and mild sandalwood add subtle complexities just before the beer finishes grassy with bitterness and with a tinge of peppercorn.

Mid-light in texture, the beer edges quite near to thin and watery texture, but never crosses the line. But its refreshing acidity saves its reputation as the lightness is easily understood as drinkability. Clean and crisp in finish, its modest alcohol comes across as minty rather than warm. Its quick aftertaste is banana-like and with light cellar-like must.

Though I applaud Rogue's assertive brewing inspirations and even more, its marketing transparency (perhaps to a fault), I find that the cultures in John Mayer's beard to lack the depth of flavor, complexity or full fermentation that's necessary to result in a formidable American Wild Ale.

3.32/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A- pours a clear and bright golden color with a small fizzy white head that reduces quickly, leaving just a ring behind

S- crisp and toasted malt with a hint of candied lemon peel, just a hint of yeasty funk, otherwise pretty clean

T- sweet and malty base with just a trace of lemon funk tartness that gives flavors of lemon peel and coriander, sugary sweetness continues through to the finish

M- medium body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel that continues into the finish

O- a gimmick beer that was certainly palatable, but not what you'd expect from a wild ale

3.33/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22-oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A - 2 fingers off-white head over a somewhat cloudy body of gold, high amount of visible carbonation

S - funky Belgian smell, cloves, bananas, grass, apple-like fruitiness

T - cloves, bananas, light biscuit-like malt, apple, citrus, spice

M - dry medium body, high carbonation

O - I have no previous experience with wild ales. While I appreciate the novelty of beard-grown yeast, this brew is unimpressive. It's a run of the mill Belgian ale at best.

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

a - poured a one finger thick eggshell-colored head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout. the body was a ruddy orange color.
s - fruity and yeasty.
t - fruity, bready, yeast with the slightest hint of tartness.
m - medium bodies with the right amount carbonation.
o - definitely not a wild ale as that funk and sour was barely noticeable.

3.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Thanks (I think) to my parents for bringing this one back from the brewery.

Appearance. Pours an "apple juice" amber-gold with a finger almost white head that fades fairly quick. No hairs floating around, thank god.

Smell. Sweet grainy malts, light citrus hops and bready yeast.

Taste. Light citrus acidity and some grassy hops. A little bit of that lightly sweet grainy malt, but nothing as strong as the smell. Light bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel. Medium-low body, medium carbonation.

Overall. I wish I didn't know that one of the main ingredients in this didn't come from some beardo's face. That being said, it's not a bad beer. Still gives me the creeps a little though.

3.42/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Still can't believe I bought this. 22oz into a tulip.

A: Pours a nice-looking auburn with a small white head.

S: Smells like a hefeweizen or witbier. Mild cloves, honey, a little floral, pale malt.

T: Likewise, the taste brings delicate clove and light apricot notes, along with pleasant bready maltiness and a bit of leafy hop bitterness.

M: Light-bodied with fine carbonation.

O: So the yeast they harvested from this guy's beard ended up being another mildly boring hefeweizen yeast? The beer tastes fine, but I was at least expecting something interesting.

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a slightly hazy, golden-blonde coloring with a ton of carbonation and a big, thick, foamy, off-white head that starts around an inch and slowly settles into a low profile coat. Aromas of berries all over the place, with some tart notes, a toasted backbone, and an overall tangy sweetness. Flavors are toasty forward, with a blending of cherry and berry sweetness to follow, but a slight bit underwhelming for the anticipation from the aromas. There is a hint of tart and slightly sour in the back of the tongue, but only an inkling. Overall, the toasty notes carry through a smooth, easy going palate. Light and crisp from the carbonation, there is a toasted and slightly floral aftertaste, with hints of tart shining through once again. The finish is surprisingly smooth given the body, although there is a definitive crisp end to the fruity characteristics shortly before the body of the beer is finished washing over your palate. Interesting brew, and easily drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

A: poured into an oversized wine glass to a nice orange with a dense two finger white head that retains well and has excellent lacing
S: smells of bananas, pears and spicy yeast
T: taste is pears, banana, spice from the yeast and some bready malt. swallow is maybe just the slightest hint of funk with more fruit and spice
M: medium bodied in the mouth with soft and slighty prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: this is barely able to be considered a wild ale and it's missing that funky, oaky, sourness that all of us know and love. as a beer made with 'wild' yeast it's pretty drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Short Review. Not bad, I think if I tried it blind I would just think it was an american brewed Belgian wit or something, so it looks like the brewers yeast took a lot of Belgian yeast like characteristics, I thought it would be more like a slightly funky pac man yeast and since i don't care for pac man yeast too much I'm happy it wasn't like that. It's not bad and I think it's funny how the concept can really freak some people out.

3.52/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've toyed with the pros and cons of drinking a brewmaster's beard. At the end of the day, this was a worthwhile experience. This is a yeasty, gamey brew - not unlike some of the homebrew I used to make. I don't imagine I will go out of my way to buy this again.

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I guess the brewmaster cultivated some fairly well behaved yeasts in his beard. This is a nice Belgian-y light copper ale. It throws a bit of peach and very, very slight sour notes. Hop notes are very, very light which accentuates the yeast. Not a lot of complexity to the malt flavor.Overall, an enjoyable Belgian-style ale.

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%

Surprisingly, this looks and smells classically 'Belgian,' rather than American. Clear, kinda viscous golden body and a massive cloud of white, lacy foam with aromas of orange, canned pineapple juice, underripe banana, and sourdough bread. Vaguely floral as well.

Taste is balanced and pleasant but not particularly interesting, and also weirdly flat and lacking spark. Apple cider and clove flavors dominate, with a hint of earthiness, which combine with very soft carbonation, very low hop bitterness, and a surprisingly heavy mouthfeel to give the impression of still cider. I suppose it's all meant to showcase the peculiar characteristics of the yeast (or yeasts), but it comes off as something like Duvel or Saison DuPont without the zip. Possible food pairings: cornbread, sausage, roast pork or lamb, hard but mellow cheeses, rabbit with mustard sauce.

3.56/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier's beard. No need to freak out, brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same old growth beard since 1978 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great surprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard. What does Beard Beer taste like? Try it, we think you'll be surprised..." Brewed in the style of an American Wild Ale. Available as a one-off release in 22 oz. bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served above 54 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp foamy head of a pale white color over a medium hazy amber body with plentiful lively carbonation. Retention is average and lacing is light and spotty. 3.5

(Smell) The yeast strain is very potent in this beer, almost hefeweizen or saison-like, bright cider fruit notes, banana and clove-forward with some soft funk and white pepper, aromatic and effervescent. Paired with a clean cereal wheat and pale malt base, it makes for an aromatic beer. 3.75

(Taste) The flavor is very much like a saison with cracker and wheat malt base, a moderate sweetness and a pear juice, floral and peppery yeast profile. Finishes medium-dry and clean, not very funky, wild or sour at all- it's a rather domesticated yeast profile and one that I have experienced quite a many times before, to my dismay. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) The texture is slick, lightly chalky and medium dry. Carbonation is medium-high for a lively and crisp mouthfeel. Body is medium for the style, shy of medium overall. The balance is slightly peppery, phenolic and spicy over sweet. Alcohol presence is light, and there are no off characters to mention. 3.5

(Overall) I wasn't too nauseated diving into this beer as the small culture scraped from John's beard has multiplied to epic scales, and with or without the occasional loose hair here and there, there would have been no way to tell where the origins of the yeast was had I not been informed otherwise. There's a part of me that was wishing this beer came off a bit more exotic and wild than what seems to be largely a saison yeast-led beer. So the mystery of the genesis of the beard yeast is solved. The yeast cells were unfortunately not wild enough to stand out as unique nor seemingly undomesticated. It was an enjoyable beer at the very worst and certainly a great beer to unfold to a squeamish audience. 3.5

Rogue Ales'