Beard Beer - Rogue Ales

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 07-05-2013)

MAUEX_MFA, Aug 05, 2014

costanzo_mike, Jul 24, 2014

CTaylorBrew, Jul 21, 2014

CraigTravor, Jul 20, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A high school classmate and contemporary drinking buddy, Mike, came over last night and we laid waste to a bunch of bombers. Bombers are a real sticking point in my backlog as I do not like to drink them by myself. I could, but I like when others help me to do so. This one came from Monde Market in Philly when I could not resist my own curiosity. For those that may not have seen me IRL, either in pictures or in person, I have a ten-plus year growth of beard as the result of my distaste for shaving. I retired from the U.S. Navy almost sixteen years ago and vowed not to shave unless told to do so for employment. I encourage everyone, men and women alike, to put down the razor! Who knows what kind of wild yeast we are losing out on because of shaving ...

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Beards"; "Beard Beer is brewed with a yeast created from Brewmaster John Maier's beard. No need to freak out, brewers have used wild yeasts in beer making for centuries. John has had the same old growth beard since 1978 and for over 15,000 brews, so it is no great surprise that a natural yeast ideal for brewing was discovered in his beard."; "What does Beard Beer taste like? Try it, we think you'll be surprised ..."; For more information on Beard beer, follow the beard @ www.johnsbeard.com".

I popped of the "Oxygen Fixing Cap" and proceeded with a generous aggro pour for each of us, resulting in a finger of foamy, bone-white head with limited retention. Nose smelled like Snak Pack Vanilla Pudding, taking both of us back to our childhood. Oh, the memories! Color was golden-yellow (SRM = 4 - 5, but they measured Lovibond = 6) with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was full and kind of viscous. If the whole idea makes you queasy, this may not help. The taste had a definite yeast-driven spiciness, akin to a Belgian Golden Ale, along with a lemony zestiness. Another very dry beer with a peppery, spicy finish that lingered well past the swallow. If I had not been told anything about it, I might have guessed it to be an unfiltered German Pilsner.

woodychandler, Jul 18, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Orange colour, bit of cloud. Head is white, foamy, decent lace. Quite nice.

Smells Belgian. Phenolic, bit earthy, touch of funk maybe. Bit of grass. Pleasant. A bit generic maybe.

Taste is more fruity with a touch of apricot midway. Pleasant Belgian spice notes with coriander and fennel blending into earthy phenolic finish. Nice and fresh for the most part. Quite a pleasant drop.

Bitty, foamy, gets nice and smooth by the end. Pleasant.

Drinks pleasantly; nice and palatable.

laituegonflable, Jul 18, 2014

TigerOwl, Jul 15, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22-oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A - 2 fingers off-white head over a somewhat cloudy body of gold, high amount of visible carbonation

S - funky Belgian smell, cloves, bananas, grass, apple-like fruitiness

T - cloves, bananas, light biscuit-like malt, apple, citrus, spice

M - dry medium body, high carbonation

O - I have no previous experience with wild ales. While I appreciate the novelty of beard-grown yeast, this brew is unimpressive. It's a run of the mill Belgian ale at best.

lwillitz, Jul 11, 2014

DerwinWentworth, Jul 10, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

prototypeshogun, Jul 10, 2014

jbriggs7, Jul 09, 2014
3.96/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a hazy gold with a thin, lingering white head.

S: Aromas of green apple, spiced pear, banana, plantain, clove, bubblegum, vanilla, and biscuit fill the nose.

T: Gentle, yet complex notes of banana, plantain, clove, spiced pear, green apple, bubblegum, vanilla, minerals, biscuits, crackers, grass, and lemon zest wash across the palate. The finish is dry with lingering notes of green apple, plantain, spiced pear, lemon zest, and minerals. A hint of lactic, musty funk cuts through the mix just before the fade.

M: Light in body and dry. Carbonation is airy, active, and crisp.

O: This is not what I normally think of when I think of American wild ales, and despite the strange, unappealing origin story of this beer, I like it quite a bit. In some ways, it is more reminiscent of a quirky Bavarian-style weissbier or an American take on a Belgian saison than a typical American wild ale.

mrfrancis, Jul 08, 2014