XS Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

to view more.
Ratings: 82 | Reviews: 6
3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

2013 release...

A: poured into a snifter to a nice shade of bronze with a two finger dense off white head that retains well and leaves decent lacing
S: smells of toasty and bready malt with a little caramel and a slight pine hop aroma. a little dark fruit as well.
T: taste is toasted malts, spicy hops, a little fruitiness and a slight caramel sweetness. finish is a bittersweet mix of caramel and grapefruit
M: fairly full in the mouth with slightly prickly carbonation and a drying finish
O: Not bad but disappointing for the price point. I'd rather drink an Arrogant Bastard. Decent complexity but it doesn't seem to age well.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at George St alehouse
Malty, clean tasting. Minimal happiness. Substantial body. Alcohol is well hidden. Overall quite enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A good friend from work bought a half barrel the other day and brought me a growler. I'm not a huge Dead Guy Fan, but, I was struck by the overall taste, texture, and aroma of this beer. First I liked the almost burnt orange color and creamy head. It has a slight citrus orange type flavor with a pleasant caramel tone, like those chocolate orange slices I love to eat at Christmas. A definite quick bitter hop finish. A nice Brew.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Cloudy pale orange, nice frothy head that leaves a curtain of lace.

Honey, orange, and caramel the predominant smells I'm getting.

Big caramel malt and honey note with a deep grainy bread note and grapefruit hop kick at the end. A slight warming aftertaste.

Medium carbonation, creamy and slick mouthfeel.

Nicely done although I think I like the original just as well (and the bottle is less expensive).

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm shocked by the so-far low score for this beer . I had it on tap immediately after a glass of Sculpin. The smoothness hit me right away. Like liquid butter, yet very flavorful. Fills the mouth with flavor with a nice lingering malty aftertaste. This beer belongs in the upper echelon IMHO.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- pours an orange gold with a 1 finger head of foam, lacing is spotty.

S- very strong notes of caramel malt with some light bitter hops mixed in but quite overwhelmed.

T- slight malt sweetness up front that gets eaten up by a pretty bitter hop barrage. Ok, the second and third sips in and the malt is not as meek as I was led to believe after the first sip. I can't decide whether the hops or malts are in control here; I guess that means this brew is on the balanced side.

Anywho, balanced or not, I don't actually enjoy drinking it as much as I hoped for. Especially considering I paid +$16 for the 750.

M- the carbonation is just right but damn...I find the body very thin for the style.

O- a miss in my book. 1 and definitely done.

to view more.