XS Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by Elprico:
3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

2013 release...

A: poured into a snifter to a nice shade of bronze with a two finger dense off white head that retains well and leaves decent lacing
S: smells of toasty and bready malt with a little caramel and a slight pine hop aroma. a little dark fruit as well.
T: taste is toasted malts, spicy hops, a little fruitiness and a slight caramel sweetness. finish is a bittersweet mix of caramel and grapefruit
M: fairly full in the mouth with slightly prickly carbonation and a drying finish
O: Not bad but disappointing for the price point. I'd rather drink an Arrogant Bastard. Decent complexity but it doesn't seem to age well.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed from the stoneware bottle in a snifter, this nice aged ale pours a rich hazy brownish orange with a moderate off white head of foam that dissipates to a thin ring and little lacing. Nose of sweet bread, heavy citrus, and rich caramel malts. Flavors follow the nose with rich caramel malts and rich bread flavors instantly followed by citrus flavors of grapefruit and orange zest. Smooth and lightly creamy mouth feel finishes moderately dry and sticky with the hop flavors that come through. A very good aged Rogue product.

Cheers

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm shocked by the so-far low score for this beer . I had it on tap immediately after a glass of Sculpin. The smoothness hit me right away. Like liquid butter, yet very flavorful. Fills the mouth with flavor with a nice lingering malty aftertaste. This beer belongs in the upper echelon IMHO.

3.94/5  rDev +2.6%

Cloudy pale orange, nice frothy head that leaves a curtain of lace.

Honey, orange, and caramel the predominant smells I'm getting.

Big caramel malt and honey note with a deep grainy bread note and grapefruit hop kick at the end. A slight warming aftertaste.

Medium carbonation, creamy and slick mouthfeel.

Nicely done although I think I like the original just as well (and the bottle is less expensive).

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at George St alehouse
Malty, clean tasting. Minimal happiness. Substantial body. Alcohol is well hidden. Overall quite enjoyable.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- pours an orange gold with a 1 finger head of foam, lacing is spotty.

S- very strong notes of caramel malt with some light bitter hops mixed in but quite overwhelmed.

T- slight malt sweetness up front that gets eaten up by a pretty bitter hop barrage. Ok, the second and third sips in and the malt is not as meek as I was led to believe after the first sip. I can't decide whether the hops or malts are in control here; I guess that means this brew is on the balanced side.

Anywho, balanced or not, I don't actually enjoy drinking it as much as I hoped for. Especially considering I paid +$16 for the 750.

M- the carbonation is just right but damn...I find the body very thin for the style.

O- a miss in my book. 1 and definitely done.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

A good friend from work bought a half barrel the other day and brought me a growler. I'm not a huge Dead Guy Fan, but, I was struck by the overall taste, texture, and aroma of this beer. First I liked the almost burnt orange color and creamy head. It has a slight citrus orange type flavor with a pleasant caramel tone, like those chocolate orange slices I love to eat at Christmas. A definite quick bitter hop finish. A nice Brew.

XS Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales