Porkslap Pale Ale - Butternuts Beer & Ale

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: John on 03-04-2006

Reviews by soultrain:
3.09/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Why not.

A-Clear golden amber beer, slight carbonation. 1 1/2" beige head settles to 1/8" in a minute, but leaves o.k. lacing all the way down the glass.
S-Something subtle and a little baffling here. Flowers? Yeah maybe.
T- Oblique flower petal flavor, mild smoked fruitcake (what?), dry chalkiness, finely ground clamshells, with a current (voltage) of dryish sour tartness at the end, yet I can't say that it finishes dry. This beer has wicked subtle tastes going on in it, (even the malts/ hops are subtle), and it's certainly the weirdest APA I've ever had. They put "farmhouse ale" on the can. That's good, I was thinkin' this beer is closer to, say, "Hennipen," than it is to, say, "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale," (it's like neither) but that point is moot....
M-Thin body; could use more carbonation.
D-Good drinkability.

CRUX: INTERESTING APA. Grabbed this brew from the DBF when it was time to make a "beercan chicken," you know, half a beer for the chicken, half a beer for the chef...and I'm glad I did. Puzzled and mulled over this beer for three cans or so, and it confused me, I admit, but the beercan "pork slap" chicken rocked... I look forward to re-sampling this brew, being less puzzled, and trying the rest of the beers from this brewery. (1,292 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Inoffensive. Thin on the palate. Mild aroma of ginger. Dubious lace. Wan carbonation. Gosh darn cute label. (112 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -4%

My first taste of Butternuts canned offerings,this poured a nice deep golden with a tight 1 1/2 finger head that really stuck like glue to the glass as it settled very slowly,it goes down from here though.Not much in the nose definently no hops to speak of really slight toastiness and caramel sweetness but its nothing to write home about for sure,something is off in my mind flavor wise kind of a funky sweetness in the finish the lightly sweeter malt base is ok a little buttery flavor with some caramel.To me there is no semblence of hops to be found wither in the nose or flavor to one dimensional and a little odd,I wont seek out again. (642 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -14.1%

Always excited to try some more micros in cans..this one arrives in a bright orange can with two pigs bouncing their bellies together, seriously. Pours from the can into my tulip glass a dark amber/red color with a thin head of off white bubbles. Aromas are rather mundane with a bit of toasty, biscuity malt and a odd sort of peppery spiciness. Subtle earthy hops in the background with a fruity, berry accent. Overall aroma is just plain weird for a pale ale and slightly off putting.

First sip brings a toasted/biscuity maltiness that's rather light. Again, I get an odd sort of spiciness on the way down with only a touch of earthy, non descript hops. Somewhat dry and fruity, but overall just pretty bland for an APA. Seems more like a kind of mellow amber ale than anything. Aftertaste leaves something to be desired.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with lots of fast moving carbonation. Goes down smooth but doesn't really have anything that leaves me wanting more. The carbonation is a bit stingy on the tongue. One is enough for me. Thanks to plaid75 for the opportunity to sample this one. (1,106 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +4.6%

I really like the ginger taste of this beer, despite what the other reviewers say.

I'll admit, my 1st tasting of this beer I really didn't care for it. But I bought the mix pack a 2nd time since I dug the wheat beer, so I tried it again.

As mentioned before - smell and taste are ginger, ginger, ginger. I dig it - different.

This is an easy-drinking sessionable beer that isn't too pretentious. Did I mention it has a strong ginger taste???? :0) (449 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +11%

Cloudy amber almost brown in color good lace
The aroma is malty upfront pale with crystal malts with a slight hoppy citrus.

The taste is an emglish style malty with full buttery taste. The hops make an appearance in the end slightly bitter with a pale nuttery finish. (269 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

12 ounce can. Yeah- cans are cool IMHO for a change and for all the reasons stated above or below as the case may be....I like the humorous graphics as well. This APA pours clear medium golden/amond amber, with a light tan head, pretty rich and creamy, mostly tiny bubbles and leaves respectable, long lasting lacing. Nose is of light hops, and some slightly smokey maple. Drinkable, nicely balanced ale, notes of light smoke, honey, toasted malts and perhaps some biscuits. Nicely done, pleasant quaffer, good road trip brew cuz of its drinkability and easy packing. More worthy brew from another new NY State brewery, good luck Butternuts!! (642 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

No head to speak of when pouring. A nice orangy fairly clear body. Smells a bit sweet, carmel, some citrus, some grass too. Taste is crisp, medium dry earthyness, Carmel, citrus, slight hop bitterness on the finish. Low carbonation, thin body, easy to down a few of these. I pick this up again but not any time soon, maybe on a rainy day. Not bad but not noteworthy. I do love the artwork and the storage cantainer. (415 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance: brown in color, medium carbonation, clear, 1/3 inch head

Smell: toasted malt, honey, and bread

Taste: toasted malt, honey, and bread

Mouthfeel: semi-sweet, light body with high carbonation.

Drinkability: A watery and weak pale ale. It goes down easy enough. If I was camping I could drink a six but nothing to get excited about or reach for. (357 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

I admit: I bought this beer for the label. How could I not, with its charming belly-bumping pigs suspended mid-air beneath a cartoon-font name? And I bought the beer expecting exactly nothing of it. My first whiff thus was a pleasant surprise, as I encountered not the bland skunkiness of an Anheuser-Busch product, but a nose full of malt: butternut squash and apricot, macadamia nut and orange, all suspended over fresh wheat.

On the tongue, the beer continued to surprise, for though it wasn't as fruity as the nose promised, it still carried a good load of light fruit esters (white grape, lychee nut), as well as Grape Nuts cereal-like toasted grains. The label says "all malt," but there's a good bit of hops in here as well, providing a nice grapefruit-bitter background. The flavors are rounded out by a surprising, but somehow appropriate, splash of ginger root (which is actually added, and does not result merely from the malt). The flavors are quite distinct, and the brew has been made lovingly, with good quantities of malts and hops. The aftertaste tends to sway a bit excessively toward grapefruit and ginger, but the main part of the mouthful is enjoyable.

Overall, while I can't say this is a stellar pale ale, it is an interesting and highly quaffable one, and will no doubt make its way into my fridge again, or at least my camping cooler. (1,363 characters)

Porkslap Pale Ale from Butternuts Beer & Ale