Porkslap Pale Ale - Butternuts Beer & Ale

Porkslap Pale AlePorkslap Pale Ale

Butternuts Beer & Ale visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.30% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 03-04-2006)
angelsil

Ontario (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -19.1%

Part of 12 Butternuts pack sampler. Poured into ghetto Ikea pint glass, because it's what I got on hand.

A: Nice amber color. Fairly clear.

S: Funky mold smell, but not heavy. None of their beers have much nose.

T: This beer tasted odd. It's malt forward, but then the aftertaste is like an ashtray and it lingers. Oh dear does it linger. I feel like I've been chewing cigarette butts.

M: Crisp. Heavily carbonated, like all their beers I've tried this weekend, but in this style it's TOO bubbly.

O: Definitely the weakest of the 4 Butternuts beers I've tried. It's clearly more EPA than APA and it's not a strong version of that.
Serving type: can

08-21-2011 20:28:48 | More by angelsil
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev +5%

12oz Can

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber/copper colour with an average size fizzy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fairly good lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel/butterscotch, and some very light hops. The beer really has a lot of buttery flavour going on. It finishes with a malty sweet aftertaste.

Overall - While it was a very drinkable beer, there are some other really great beers I'd rather be drinking. It reminded me of more of an English Pale ale than an American one as well.

08-17-2011 17:15:24 | More by spinrsx
jondeelee

3.98/5  rDev +24.8%

I admit: I bought this beer for the label. How could I not, with its charming belly-bumping pigs suspended mid-air beneath a cartoon-font name? And I bought the beer expecting exactly nothing of it. My first whiff thus was a pleasant surprise, as I encountered not the bland skunkiness of an Anheuser-Busch product, but a nose full of malt: butternut squash and apricot, macadamia nut and orange, all suspended over fresh wheat.

On the tongue, the beer continued to surprise, for though it wasn't as fruity as the nose promised, it still carried a good load of light fruit esters (white grape, lychee nut), as well as Grape Nuts cereal-like toasted grains. The label says "all malt," but there's a good bit of hops in here as well, providing a nice grapefruit-bitter background. The flavors are rounded out by a surprising, but somehow appropriate, splash of ginger root (which is actually added, and does not result merely from the malt). The flavors are quite distinct, and the brew has been made lovingly, with good quantities of malts and hops. The aftertaste tends to sway a bit excessively toward grapefruit and ginger, but the main part of the mouthful is enjoyable.

Overall, while I can't say this is a stellar pale ale, it is an interesting and highly quaffable one, and will no doubt make its way into my fridge again, or at least my camping cooler.

08-06-2011 18:56:23 | More by jondeelee
Tundruth

New Hampshire

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%

Great looking beer, the art on the can is cool and the beer itself is slightly cloudy, copper in color and is topped by a thick layer of off white foam.

Smells sweet, malty and tangy, also there is hints of fruitiness and leather in the nose.

This beer has a taste that is full flavored and complex. Not very hoppy but its still the kind of brew you practically have to chew.

MF is thick and "sticky", carbonation is very light which I think works perfect with this beer.

Overall a solid beer, its not something you see very often which makes it all the better.

07-31-2011 19:27:37 | More by Tundruth
mactrail

Washington

3.85/5  rDev +20.7%

Very decent beer for drinking. I think it hits the right notes of slight Saison funkiness, tangy flavor, good dose of malt, and enough bitterness in the aftertaste. All quite balanced. More interesting than the usual lagers, not as bitter as regulation pale ales. I think it's more of a light-weight Belgian Pale Ale. If you're looking for big hops, look somewhere else. More of a perfumey touch, just enough sharpness to mess with the mellow.

07-28-2011 03:43:52 | More by mactrail
bpw28

4.47/5  rDev +40.1%

This can looks awesome. Some might think these two pigs belly bumping on the front is cheezy, but who doesn't want to drink a beer that has two hogs belly bumping on the front because they are so excited about the brew inside?

Look: Nice three finger bone white head,Soap bubble head with pretty good retention, Slightly hazy copper color ( about a 13 SRM), lacing is good, bubbles slowly float to the top.

Smell: Sticky sweet smelling malt, funk (not a bad one at all, it is a "farmhouse" ale style), grassy/hay/grain/light barn smell (not bad), bit of pine, wet wood (like after a rain storm in the woods), slightly fruity smelling like orange oil, peppery, leathery cigar smoke (like your old man's leather jacket that he'd wear smoking cigars on the porch. Not bad at all.)

Taste: Hm, wow. Slightly sweet malt, grass, yeasty, oaky, grains, funk (still the good funk), peppery, peach (that after a peach taste) slight cream kind of taste, light hop back bone that finishes piney. The body is the only thing that is a let down. Its light, not seriously light, but enough to be noticed.

Final Thoughts: I really like this. The only thing it lacks for me is more body. It's exactly what it seems to claim to be and does it well. It's a pale ale with a farmhouse twist. I was worried they might under do or over do the "farmhouse funk", but its perfect. I love beers like this, where the nose brings great thoughts and memories. I really love funky beers. Though I can see how this beer might not be for everyone, Butternuts did a fine job on this one.

07-26-2011 01:02:07 | More by bpw28
beerdrinker4life

Connecticut

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

Alright cans at Gathering of the Vibes! Nice, now we can beat the heat when its 100 degrees out!

Someone gave me a can of this from their cooler. I never even heard of it before. I poured it into my glass it was a dark amber color with an off white head. The head faded out rather quick.

The aroma was pretty plain. I noticed some hops in there. Then I got a faint smell of some caramel popcorn? It tasted rather bland actually.

Overall, by the time I drank this can, I was ready to move on. It was a nice thing to have in a can, but the flavor just did not really impress me all that much.

07-24-2011 12:45:42 | More by beerdrinker4life
CWBlues

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a can into a tulip, because, why not?

A: Awesome hazy dark orange. Half a finger of an off-white head.

S: Soft fruit notes, but very little hops or even citrus. Really light scent.

T: Whoa. Wheaty and grassy, little bit of honey on it too. Not what I was expecting, but...hm. I kind of like it. Given its name, I want there to be a smack of ham to it (Arrested Development, anyone), but really I just get the grass and honey. I imagine it pairing well with pork dishes.

M: Good tingle on the tongue. Not much hop bitterness though. It's cool and refreshing though, especially today when it's 115 degrees in Indy.

O: I'm glad I got this as an extra. Thoroughly enjoy it.

07-20-2011 21:56:56 | More by CWBlues
SunDevilBeer

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%

I really like the ginger taste of this beer, despite what the other reviewers say.

I'll admit, my 1st tasting of this beer I really didn't care for it. But I bought the mix pack a 2nd time since I dug the wheat beer, so I tried it again.

As mentioned before - smell and taste are ginger, ginger, ginger. I dig it - different.

This is an easy-drinking sessionable beer that isn't too pretentious. Did I mention it has a strong ginger taste???? :0)

07-16-2011 00:58:40 | More by SunDevilBeer
nukem5

A: pours a great dark amber color with a nice thin head, bubbles float up and I think it has a slight haze to the brew. But no worries lets look at this one a bit closer.

S: A bit grainy and a touch of grassiness in there,sadly not much there but a light scent of citrus.

T: Just like smell grainy and touch of hops, also some sweetness like honey at the middle followed by more orange tastes.

M: Silky and smooth but little character to speak of,very little carbonation at the end all fizzyed out.

O: Glad to taste another beer but no big hurry to fetch another one of these Thanks to JL for the beer, Cheers!

07-15-2011 23:37:20 | More by nukem5
Brenden

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

The color is a darker than expected orange-yellow. The head shows weakness even as it pours and the general look is fizzy, a little too bubbly not to be concerned. Once it's poured out my suspicions are confirmed that there's a general looseness to it. Lacing isn't nonexistent, but close to negligible.
The aroma doesn't lack pungency. A floral and more tropical than citrus fruits are the main elements. There's just the slightest touch of an almost gingery spicy element though it's a far cry from Good Juju. Dry malts are difficult to detect and makes this beer on the one-dimensional side.
The bite from hops bitterness has some depth to it and is complemented by a decent balance from malts. A little spiced sort of sourness kicks in just at the finish. This is a solid APA with just a very slight off flavor.
As feared, this beer is bitingly fizzy and bubbly; at least I can't claim it's not crisp. Let it sit and it feels just a little smoother, though not enough for the drinkability one looks for in a style like this. The bracing crispness sticks around until this beer's been allowed to rest awhile; even then, it doesn't abate enough for comfort.

07-13-2011 15:28:11 | More by Brenden
jadpsu

Georgia

2.48/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a light orange/copper with an off white head that some solid side glass lacing.
Aroma: sour dough bread with emphasis on sour, as in old stale rags. Asked my wife to check it out and she said she picked up some butterscotch, which I did get a faint hint of.
Taaste: Getting some ginger with astringent aromas, none of this to my personal liking.
Not a plae ale I will have again.

07-13-2011 01:21:08 | More by jadpsu
deltatauhobbit

Maine

2.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours an amber color with a light orange color, thin white head, fades fairly fast but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with a bit of a grain presence, hop aroma is light.

Taste is carbonation and mouthfeel is light and crisp, sweet malt backing is the prevalent flavor, light citrus hops linger in the aftertaste but don't fully develop, an easy drinker but nothing spectacular.

07-12-2011 01:29:25 | More by deltatauhobbit
Bouleboubier

3.38/5  rDev +6%

Strange brew. One commanding, odd flavor baffles me.

Lotta big foam outta the can, strands of crystalline lace - the beer part is the same orange color as the can.

An assertive nose. More of the strange. Graham-cracker malt, grassy hops, orange-infused esters - like a choc orange (or Irn Bru?), mildly honey-like/syrupy.

Taste sensations? Barely bitter... Two-dimensional - can't place the strange citrus flavor. Very malty - again, kind of a processed/artificial honey-graham.

Though packing hard foam, its medium-bodied composition, however, drinks sort of flat and dry, lacking sizzle on the tongue.

Not bad for the money - just odd. Wondering if this is an extract brew...

07-06-2011 03:10:01 | More by Bouleboubier
KTCamm

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from can into plastic cup at a summer picnic.

Pours a medium amber color slightly reddish. Good foaming, leaves a trail, laces. Light malty smell, caramel notes. Small sweet malt taste very light on the hop. Minor bite at the finish. Smooth throughout. Well carbonated, the can holds the pressure well.

Good summer beer. More like English pale than APA. Certainly picnic session able.

07-05-2011 11:12:30 | More by KTCamm
buyBinboaVodka

2.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from the can into a pint glass. It pours a hazy amber with a small head the dissappears very quickly to leave a small ring around the glass. Small lacing, not sticky. I only really get some faint malts from this. I don't know, I really can not pick up real flavors from the smell. Taste is just some roasty caramel malts with hop bitterness at the end. They work well together as not to overpower each other. The body is thin and there is a good amount of carbonation, maybe a little too much at times.

This beer is ok, it works well in balance but lacks any kind of real flavor. It is hard to pick up anything strong in there.

07-02-2011 12:50:59 | More by buyBinboaVodka
smcolw

3.45/5  rDev +8.2%

Good start to the head, but it settles to only rim lace and leaves minimal stringy lace. Dark amber color and relatively clear.

Strong smells of cream (lactose?). The rest is malt. Very little hop to the nose.

Very dry flavor, almost astringent. This allows the bitterness to show up. Very spritzy beer--thin bodied with a very high carbonation.

06-25-2011 00:26:06 | More by smcolw
Cyberkedi

Georgia

Comes out of the can a nice clear orangy amber with frothy, persistent white head that leaves some good lacing. Fruity, malty, slightly sweet aroma is not strong but still appealing. Malty, fruity flavor is nice but a bit on the weak side. Texture is smooth and pleasing, but lacks fizz. Not great, but fine for a party or with a meal.

06-22-2011 02:17:46 | More by Cyberkedi
bristei

Rhode Island

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from can to pint glass.

A: Hazy, light brown, unimpressive head.

S: Brown sugar, hazlenut, nutmeg?

T: Round warm spices, cinnamonn, grassy

M: Smooth, crisp, short inviting aftertaste

O: Solid pale ale, each sip makes you want another, nice warm spicy taste that can fit well with a meal, make a nice session beer, or just shooting the shit with the guys.

06-21-2011 01:27:26 | More by bristei
MadCat

CANquest part 5. No freshness date can be found on the can, which is unfortunate considering they give you nutritional info.

Appearance: Golden yellow color, good white head that dissipates fast, leaves some lacing

Smell: Mainly pale caramely malts, light hops, not much else to it

Taste: Light caramel malty flavor, some hop bitterness, not a whole lot else

Mouthfeel: Light body, creamy smooth carbonation

Overall: Disappointing. Not a whole lot of taste. I like the price point, but I feel like if I'm going to be cheap, I might as well go for Yuengling, or even BMC. I guess it wouldn't be a bad drink from the can tailgate beer, but I'm glad I got a single can and not a whole sixpack. I will give Butternuts a second chance but thats it.

06-03-2011 01:13:26 | More by MadCat
mvanaskie13

3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a tulip pint glass; nice off white head about 1" thick; color is on the amber/copper side of pale ales. Very feint carbonation.

Smell is all caramel malt, minor hop notes.

Taste is mostly caramel malt flavor hint of biscuity notes, and light bitterness, enough to cover up the malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel is balanced, mostly hits the tongue but the bitterness is strong enough to cover up the maltiness.

Overall, a interesting pale ale, maybe a touch more aroma and flavor hops to get something in the nose and taste.

05-28-2011 01:54:51 | More by mvanaskie13
9InchNails

2.05/5  rDev -35.7%

Copper color with little bubbles in the body. White frothy head. Not much going on here.

Bread and malt is the main smell not much else.

Grass, grain, bread, subtle citrus, some I bitterness that tastes really weird.

Medium carbonation despite the lack of bubbles. Leaves a weird dry aftertaste.

The worse tasting beer by Butternuts by far. This has nothing going for it. Bland tastes leaving with a nasty aftertaste. Stay the hell away from this!

05-23-2011 23:34:14 | More by 9InchNails
MoreThanWine

3.48/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 2" head of irregular sized bubbles. Appearance is absolutely beautiful with a clear radiant amber. Smell is mildy of malt. Taste is a little malty but not massive malt as I expected from the "all malt" can label. Body is medium. All in all I love the name, love the can, love even the ecofriendly rings connecting the cans, and love the color. Tastewise those it's just slightly above average.

05-19-2011 09:20:47 | More by MoreThanWine
Kinsman

2.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Hazy copper color with a surprisingly voluminous head and sticky lacing left behind.

Biscuity and caramel malt aromas. Faint floral hop character and not much else for aroma.

Taste is maltier upfront than an APA should be. Pale malts provide some sweetness and bread-like qualities. Surprisingly lacking a notable hop flavor and bitterness. Not that I expect a hop bomb but a pale ale should have at least some hop profile. What little there is in this one has a bit of a grassy and floral character.

Mouthfeel is light but smooth and refreshing. Overall, this beer is lacking... in flavor that is. Nothing bad (no off flavors) about it but overall it is rather bland compared to many other APA's.

05-17-2011 21:33:23 | More by Kinsman
nastley3

2.58/5  rDev -19.1%

A: Poured from a can into a pint glass. Poured somewhat cloudy, with a amber tint. Decent head retention but looks slightly foamy. Overall this beer looks fairly appealing.

S: The can says "all malt" and thats what I smell. It does not smell like a pale ale at all.

T: I find the taste of this beer to be very hard to describe. It is NOT hoppy, slightly buttery, malty but not smoked, and has an aftertaste that I do not like. Basically I give the taste a 2 because I am "not impressed."

M: This beer is slightly over carbonated, but besides from that has a smooth mouthfeel.

O: Overall this beer is simply not my style. For one thing I do not understand how/why it is called a pale ale... it is certainly much different than most APAs I have had. Although the ABV is low the beer is not very drinkable, (one would be plenty.) To put a positive spin on this beer would be to say that it is very unique and somewhat smooth. I will not buy this beer again.

05-17-2011 20:53:17 | More by nastley3