Moo Thunder Stout - Butternuts Beer & Ale

Butternuts Beer & Ale visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Risser09 on 03-26-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moo Thunder Stout Alström Bros
1.83/5  rDev -48.9%

In my udder pants? Pours a black color with a off white head that quickly dissipated and no real lace to speak of. Decent clarity when held to the light and left a reddish hue.

The nose is mostly astringent malty notes with some off aromas. Easy to pick out the roast and black malts. Some noticeable black marker that is a big deterrent for me. Some minor yeasty notes in the back ground with a hint of earthy and soapy hops.

The flavor is a little subdued from the nose. Some balance to the astringency to the malt. Some toffee and off caramel notes blends with some coffee and astray flavors. Noticeable black marker again. There is a lactic quality that gives a milky sourness that is just off. Stays in the finish and leaves a filmy aftertaste.

The body is moderate to light. Hard to pick out with the roast and sourness. Overall this was just off in so many ways. An udder un-delight.

1.92/5  rDev -46.4%

12oz can purchased at The Liquor Shoppe in Tygsboro, MA. Pours a pitch black opaque body with an inch of khaki head. Smells nutty, burnt, some smoky tobacco. All I taste is smoky tobacco too, bunt, planty. Moderate in both mouthfeel and carbonation. Astringency hurts the drinkability greatly. Not too impressed with this one...

2.13/5  rDev -40.5%

A gift from kbnooshay. My first stout in a can. I know, I know, TEN FIDY! blah...blah...blah... haven't tried it yet.
Pours black. Less than impressed with the head on this one; mostly because there was virtually none. There are a few small dots of lace on my glass, but I'm not sure how they got there.
Smells really good though. Some nice roasty malt, coffee and chocolate. No discernable hop presence. A touch sweet.
Flavor was also very good. An even roasted bitterness that transitions into a sugary sweetness in the finish. Some coffee & powdery bakers cocoa. Slightly medicinal.
Feel is thin & watery, somewhat underwhelming.
Still a pretty tasty and drinkable stout. I enjoyed it. Where it loses points is in the aesthetics (look & feel).

UPDATE: 11-04-09

Ok this is not what I remember. I remember a beer that was thin, but flavorful (read above). This is just a thin, watery mess. Smells strange, like the inside of a rubber boot, and is virtually tasteless. What flavor can be detected has an off quality. Maybe they add ginger to this one too, like they do with the Pale Ale??? Not sure and don't care. Won't be buying it again.

2.27/5  rDev -36.6%

12 oz can.

Pours a clear dark red, not even brown. Stout? I think not! Almost pours flat, tiny bit of tan head forms, disappears immediately, bit of a ring around the glass. Smell is sweet, bit of garbage, light roast, bit of chocolate, caramel milkiness, watery, not so good. Taste is not good, very watery, light caramel, bit of chocolate and roast, sweet caramel, sugar, weird. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery, medium carbonation. This is no stout! But I guess I should have expected as much.

2.35/5  rDev -34.4%

Purchased at RFD in Washington, DC. Poured from a can into a snifter.

CAVEATS: My first caveat about this review is that I had this beer very soon after a mocha porter, so I might have been slightly impervious to some of its flavor profile. The second is that some of the characteristics of this particular beer (based on my own observations and those of my friends with me at the time) lead me to wonder whether this might be an unusual experience for this beer; I certainly hope so. With those caveats out of the way, let's dig in.

Appearance: Awesome. This is one of the darkest beers I've ever seen, almost like Imperial stout. There's a pretty decent off-white head. Modest lacing.

Smell: This was one of the unusual features -- it smelled like a gallon of milk maybe a day or two past the due date. I really struggled to get to the darker malt characteristics, but managed to get a little bit of coffee. No apparent hops.

Taste: As strange and unpleasant as the smell. Like, I get that it's a milk stout, but was there a single ingredient in this beer besides lactose? If there's a left-right spectrum of milk stouts from least lactic to most, imagine Sam Adams Cream Stout on the left end, Belhaven Stout and Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout in the middle, and Moo Thunder way over on the right.

There's some light coffee and dark chocolate in the background, but it's really deep down there. Light hopping on the finish.

Mouthfeel: A little watery, with carbonation in check.

Overall: Unless I can be convinced that the beer I received or the condition of my tongue was an aberration, I will not try this beer again. There are superior sweet stouts.

UPDATE: The very unpleasant sour milk experience may have been an aberration. I recently tried a different beer at a restaurant and got a similar taste -- but I tried another beer from the pack and it tasted much better. I will re-review this someday and hopefully get a better result.

2.37/5  rDev -33.8%

A-black with thin tan head. Almost non existent.

S-creamy, lactosey. Hint of chocolate powder. Not bad.

T-comes with a slightly sour taste of aged cocoa. Doesn't taste too awesome. It's kinda disgusting.

M-watery with a watery finish

O-ouch this is just horrible. It's actually gross. It's sour? Not a good sour! The sort of sour that old milk is. Yuck. Going down the drain.

2.41/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours out black with a lot of dark ruby colors coming through where light passes. It has a nice tan head that leaves good lace and actually has hood retention. The aroma is very mild and of dark roasted malt. Nothing burnt or charred. The flavor is nothing special...it's not bad, but it's just a normal stout. In fact, I think this is the best butternuts beer I've had. I give them a lot of cred for canning their beers...great move.

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

I let the artwork get the best of me here. This one is so bad I don't think I'll ever try another from this brewery. Let me know if i'm wrong. Tastes like a weak watered down oatmeal stout. Pour and head are unimpressive. Why bother mass producing this? If it was a home brew I would say keep trying buddy, but they brewed this in a brewery. bah!

2.49/5  rDev -30.4%

A: Poured thin, with a dark brown color. It looks black in the glass. Also has a super thin, very light tan head.

S: It smelled burnt, sweet, nutty, and a little like wine. I didn't find the smell appetizing at all actually.

T: A little dry, and nutty; almost woody.

M: Thin, with very mild carbonation.

D: This wasn't as good as an experience as I had hoped for. The first time I drank this beer was on the day I bought it, straight from the can, and it was good. The can I just reviewed has been in my fridge for a month, I don't know if that's going to affect it though.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

Decent beer, especially one from a can. Tried this at a new spot near my apartment called "The Passenger." It was pretty good - hard to tell though because of the can. For a lot of it, I kept tasting the can. The smell was of aluminium (surprise) and toffee and chocolate. Taste was less bitter than I had expected, a nice stout to finish off the night. Would like to try this beer again, but in a glass next time.

2.55/5  rDev -28.8%

12-oz can poured into a pint glass. This is easily one of the most disappointing stouts I have ever had. I picked it up while on vacation up in the Adirondacks thinking it might be nice to have a nice normal stout or porter to enjoy the much cooler weather in upstate NY compared to home.

A = Pours a very dark chestnut brown which is perfectly fine, but the head consists of some fizzy light tan bubbling and quick receding that is more reminiscent of a soft drink than of a good beer. After a couple minutes there are almost no traces on the surface that it ever formed a head at all other than a very slight amount of bubbles right at the very edge where the beer meets the glass.

S = Light metallic, tinny scents, some light sweet flavors which remind me a root beer but that also brings a smokey scent as though ashes from a wood fire have been mixed with it.

T = There just not much there, there. I get a decent medium bitterness that starts at the tip of the tongue and remains through a fairly long finish, but otherwise there's just not a lot of good things I can think to say about this beer. It has a taste of ashes that is somewhat out of place, the metallic sensation is less present than in the nose, but it is still there.

M = This is quite a bit more watery than I was expecting. It is limpid.

D = This goes down pretty easily, but it is just not good enough to really make you want to keep drinking it.

2.57/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours and looks kind of flat. A thin head that quickly vanishes. Not black, more brown with red highlights. Looks like a soft Porter. Smell is sweet. Milk chocolate, like coffee, some bitterness. Taste is pretty simple but not effective. Chocolate, caramel, more Porter like. Defintely sweet with a tiny bitter finish. Mouthfeel is thin, lacks carbonation. Almost watered down tasting. Again, more like a Porter. Drinkability is so-so. I mean, it goes down because of a low ABV but isn't what I look for by any means when it comes to a stout. I like the names of their beers and the can designs but past that, this stuff doesn't live up to expectations.

Thanks to shaebs99 for the chance to try this.

2.61/5  rDev -27.1%

Received this brew quite a while ago from someone as an extra in a trade. Not 100% sure who that generious person was but much thanks! Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish black with a very very small head that dissipates very quickly. Leaves zero cap and ultra thin collar with zero lacing.
Smell- Very sweet smelling with loads of caramel and chocolate malt. Plenty of rich, roasted coffee and some sugary sweet vanilla. I wasn't expecting much but this isn't a bad nose at all.
Taste- Very roasted and slightly burnt bitterness from the malts that is very chocolaty and not as sweet as the nose led me to believe. A little bit of coffee sneaks into the aftertaste but it's so thin and watery that flavor isn't exactly abundant.
Mouthfeel- VERY thin and watery with no body and no feel with even less carbonation.
Drinkability- Well the beer looked horrible but I got a air of hope after the nose. The taste is not bad or good; it's non existent. It's basically just really watered down coffee. Not very good but glad I got the opportunity to try this little guy.

2.66/5  rDev -25.7%

Served cool from a 12 oz can into a Boston Lager glass.

Pours with a modest light colored head that leaves virtually no lacing. Color is a clear, dark brown.

Aroma is decent with a hint of ash and some roastiness.

Flavor is weak, and masked by a strong astringency.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and astringent.

Overall, not an enjoyable beer. It wasn't toxic or anything, but glad I only bought one can and not a 6-pack. Can't recommend this one.

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

Thanks to ericwo for sending this extra off of my wants list. Poured a dark brown, almost black, with a thin tan head that faded out pretty quickly. I saw that someone had described the beer as having a "cigarette butt" smell and now it's all I can smell. It's also all I can really taste, cigarettes and booze. Some roasted malts. Not much more going on here. Thin and watery mouthfeel, light body. Pretty drinkable but I wouldn't drink more than one.

2.77/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark brown body. Despite a vigorous pour, there's no appreciable head formation beyond a thin, white ring on top.

Smell: Sweetish, grainy nose with a distinct though light hint of added milk sugar. Notes of toast, roast, and basic chocolate.

Taste: Reasonably roasty malts with, as was the case with the nose, light touches of roast, toast, and chocolate. Slackened sweetness. As with their Heinneweisse, there's this unpleasant grainy astringency. Touch of lactose. Faint (thankfully) vegetal undertones in the distant background. Very low earthy, roasty bitterness. Finishes dry, roasty, and almost spiritedly grainy.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: One to skip. Alright, so Butternuts, thinking outside the brew box, aimed for a not-so-stout milk stout, so look for a beer that's washed out and watered down in terms of taste and peppered with a few off-flavors.

2.79/5  rDev -22.1%

12oz can.

Poured a dark brown with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate, vegetables, and some weird earthiness. There was just something 'odd' about this aroma. Tastes of chocolate, light roast, and coffee. Hmm...

Notes from: 3/6/08

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a very dark brown, when held to light gives off burgundy hues. Minimal head which recedes rather quickly. Aroma is roasty, dark chocolate, coffe. Good smell, but like their other beer I tried earlier, it is pretty subdued. Taste is seems like it is going to be extremely roasty and great immediately upon hitting the palette but then disappears into a watered down mouthfeel and an off flavor. Then the finish brings back some roasty, dark chocolate notes. Rather strange. Watery mouthfeel, not much carbonation, semi dry finish. This is one of the thinnest and slightly strangest stouts Ive ever had.

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice dark brown with a tan head. The head dissipated pretty quickly, leaving only a film over the top of the pint glass. This dragged to a sticky lacing with every pull.

Smelled malty and slightly sweet. Reminiscent of sweetened condensed milk, which isn't a bad thing.

Tasted a bit malty at first, but devolved to an ashy flavor which was not very pleasant. It had good moments, but also bad moments. The slightly ashy aftertaste is not nice. No, there were no smokers near me, and I am not a smoker myself.

I was disappointed in the mouthfeel--I really expected more. There was not enough body for this heavy beer. It's carbonated just right though.

Overall, it's slightly below average for me. I see that people are raving about it, but I need to be honest--it isn't a taste I'd go out of my way to have again. With so many good milk stouts out there these days, I will pass on Moo Thunder.

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

a: deep dark brown pour settles in black. one inch of thick creamy foam fizzles out in no time. moderate lacing is left.

s: lactos, chocolate malt, and a touch of roasted malt.

t: milk chocolate mainly but there is a slight sourness to the lactos taste. a certain astringency seems to linger in my mouth.

m: thin body, maybe a little too much carbonation. that astringent sourness is always pessent.

o: not impressed by any means.

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from the can this is a very dark brown color that lets in pinkish-red highlights when held up to the light. The tan head is frothy and hangs around for a few minutes. Weird licorice like aroma. Super sweet malt. I also pick up some weird medicinal scent. The taste is not quite as sweet as the smell. Malty and musty. The feel is smooth but wayyy too light and watery. Moderately drinkable I suppose, but this is just weird for a milk stout.

2.84/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Dark brown, but not black. Pours with a 2 1/2 finger light tan head that recedes really quickly. Leaves no lacing on the glass.

S: Slight chocolate tones. Nothing dominate in the smell. Maybe a hint of fruit.

T: The taste follows the nose - there is just not that much complexity. Slight bitter chocolate. Maybe a little smoke. Even as it warms I am not getting anything different.

M: Initial mouth feel is very smooth. Then there is a slight feel of carbonation at the back.

O: I had hoped for this to be a winner. I am always pulling for beer from my area. This is an okay brew - but not my favorite in this category.

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured at the local bar. Huzzah, I'll be the first to review it on tap. Sadly, it's sort of underwhelming. It seems like the beer went sour. Burnt chocolate taste is still there, like it was in the can, but not really much in the creamy stout department. Such a disappointment.

2.9/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours dark brown, not quite black and not completely opaque, with about two fingers of creamy light tan head on top. Settles down to a thin, uneven lace and leaves a little bit of stick.

Smell has a bit of milk chocolate, along with some butterscotch, charcoal and molasses. It's ok, but nothing particularly wonderful.

The taste is quite rough around the edges, and, altogether, not very good. Butterscotch and charcoal flavors are mainstays, and here and there are flavors of earth, chocolate, smoke, and wood. But they don't blend together well and the butterscotch/charcoal combo is off putting.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy, and softly carbonated.

I bought this as a tailgating beer and I suppose it will be ok for that purpose, but the fact that I found the other Butternuts beers to be pretty solid makes this one a big disappointment. I won't revisit this again after this 6er is consumed.

2.91/5  rDev -18.7%

12fl oz can poured into my tulip

Pours an opaque black color with a dense two inch mocha colored head with nice big bubbles sitting on top of the head. Great head retention that fades very slowly but hardly leaves any lacing.

Smell is of bakers chocolate, roasted malts, prunes, cherries, brown sugar, vanilla, leather, and tobacco.

Upfront taste of tobacco that then leads to a sweet taste of chocolate, cherries, prunes, figs, and slightly soy like taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied for a stout(little watery)with fairly high carbonation which is abnormal for this style.

Average stout which has a pretty looking cow on the front of the can. Overall I would not waste my money buying this beer.

Moo Thunder Stout from Butternuts Beer & Ale