Moo Thunder Stout - Butternuts Beer & Ale

good

Butternuts Beer & Ale visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Risser09 on 03-26-2007)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moo Thunder Stout Alström Bros
trocketsauced

05-30-2012 20:05:17 | More by OriolesFan1008
Oxymoron

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev -48.6%

In my udder pants? Pours a black color with a off white head that quickly dissipated and no real lace to speak of. Decent clarity when held to the light and left a reddish hue.

The nose is mostly astringent malty notes with some off aromas. Easy to pick out the roast and black malts. Some noticeable black marker that is a big deterrent for me. Some minor yeasty notes in the back ground with a hint of earthy and soapy hops.

The flavor is a little subdued from the nose. Some balance to the astringency to the malt. Some toffee and off caramel notes blends with some coffee and astray flavors. Noticeable black marker again. There is a lactic quality that gives a milky sourness that is just off. Stays in the finish and leaves a filmy aftertaste.

The body is moderate to light. Hard to pick out with the roast and sourness. Overall this was just off in so many ways. An udder un-delight.

07-14-2008 19:08:03 | More by Oxymoron
MrHurmateeowish

1.88/5  rDev -47.2%

12oz can purchased at The Liquor Shoppe in Tygsboro, MA. Pours a pitch black opaque body with an inch of khaki head. Smells nutty, burnt, some smoky tobacco. All I taste is smoky tobacco too, bunt, planty. Moderate in both mouthfeel and carbonation. Astringency hurts the drinkability greatly. Not too impressed with this one...

07-25-2009 00:09:53 | More by MrHurmateeowish

DIPAFAN

02-18-2013 19:37:09 | More by DIPAFAN
Hoagie1973

2.13/5  rDev -40.2%

A gift from kbnooshay. My first stout in a can. I know, I know, TEN FIDY! blah...blah...blah... haven't tried it yet.
Pours black. Less than impressed with the head on this one; mostly because there was virtually none. There are a few small dots of lace on my glass, but I'm not sure how they got there.
Smells really good though. Some nice roasty malt, coffee and chocolate. No discernable hop presence. A touch sweet.
Flavor was also very good. An even roasted bitterness that transitions into a sugary sweetness in the finish. Some coffee & powdery bakers cocoa. Slightly medicinal.
Feel is thin & watery, somewhat underwhelming.
Still a pretty tasty and drinkable stout. I enjoyed it. Where it loses points is in the aesthetics (look & feel).

UPDATE: 11-04-09

Ok this is not what I remember. I remember a beer that was thin, but flavorful (read above). This is just a thin, watery mess. Smells strange, like the inside of a rubber boot, and is virtually tasteless. What flavor can be detected has an off quality. Maybe they add ginger to this one too, like they do with the Pale Ale??? Not sure and don't care. Won't be buying it again.

02-06-2009 23:36:10 | More by Hoagie1973
BGsWo22

03-23-2013 18:35:39 | More by BGsWo22
emottram

02-13-2013 23:09:47 | More by emottram
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

12 oz can.

Pours a clear dark red, not even brown. Stout? I think not! Almost pours flat, tiny bit of tan head forms, disappears immediately, bit of a ring around the glass. Smell is sweet, bit of garbage, light roast, bit of chocolate, caramel milkiness, watery, not so good. Taste is not good, very watery, light caramel, bit of chocolate and roast, sweet caramel, sugar, weird. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery, medium carbonation. This is no stout! But I guess I should have expected as much.

11-29-2007 03:53:19 | More by Viggo
disemgrowler

Rhode Island

03-20-2012 23:45:20 | More by disemgrowler
DonFrap

07-13-2012 02:47:32 | More by DonFrap
AdamBear

2.28/5  rDev -36%

A-black with thin tan head. Almost non existent.

S-creamy, lactosey. Hint of chocolate powder. Not bad.

T-comes with a slightly sour taste of aged cocoa. Doesn't taste too awesome. It's kinda disgusting.

M-watery with a watery finish

O-ouch this is just horrible. It's actually gross. It's sour? Not a good sour! The sort of sour that old milk is. Yuck. Going down the drain.

08-11-2012 01:31:14 | More by AdamBear
fountainofyouth

District of Columbia

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

Purchased at RFD in Washington, DC. Poured from a can into a snifter.

CAVEATS: My first caveat about this review is that I had this beer very soon after a mocha porter, so I might have been slightly impervious to some of its flavor profile. The second is that some of the characteristics of this particular beer (based on my own observations and those of my friends with me at the time) lead me to wonder whether this might be an unusual experience for this beer; I certainly hope so. With those caveats out of the way, let's dig in.

Appearance: Awesome. This is one of the darkest beers I've ever seen, almost like Imperial stout. There's a pretty decent off-white head. Modest lacing.

Smell: This was one of the unusual features -- it smelled like a gallon of milk maybe a day or two past the due date. I really struggled to get to the darker malt characteristics, but managed to get a little bit of coffee. No apparent hops.

Taste: As strange and unpleasant as the smell. Like, I get that it's a milk stout, but was there a single ingredient in this beer besides lactose? If there's a left-right spectrum of milk stouts from least lactic to most, imagine Sam Adams Cream Stout on the left end, Belhaven Stout and Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout in the middle, and Moo Thunder way over on the right.

There's some light coffee and dark chocolate in the background, but it's really deep down there. Light hopping on the finish.

Mouthfeel: A little watery, with carbonation in check.

Overall: Unless I can be convinced that the beer I received or the condition of my tongue was an aberration, I will not try this beer again. There are superior sweet stouts.

UPDATE: The very unpleasant sour milk experience may have been an aberration. I recently tried a different beer at a restaurant and got a similar taste -- but I tried another beer from the pack and it tasted much better. I will re-review this someday and hopefully get a better result.

07-10-2011 05:29:37 | More by fountainofyouth
Douglas14

2.4/5  rDev -32.6%

Pours out black with a lot of dark ruby colors coming through where light passes. It has a nice tan head that leaves good lace and actually has hood retention. The aroma is very mild and of dark roasted malt. Nothing burnt or charred. The flavor is nothing special...it's not bad, but it's just a normal stout. In fact, I think this is the best butternuts beer I've had. I give them a lot of cred for canning their beers...great move.

04-19-2009 19:10:41 | More by Douglas14
ditch

2.45/5  rDev -31.2%

I let the artwork get the best of me here. This one is so bad I don't think I'll ever try another from this brewery. Let me know if i'm wrong. Tastes like a weak watered down oatmeal stout. Pour and head are unimpressive. Why bother mass producing this? If it was a home brew I would say keep trying buddy, but they brewed this in a brewery. bah!

08-25-2009 22:08:07 | More by ditch
alysmith4

District of Columbia

2.45/5  rDev -31.2%

Decent beer, especially one from a can. Tried this at a new spot near my apartment called "The Passenger." It was pretty good - hard to tell though because of the can. For a lot of it, I kept tasting the can. The smell was of aluminium (surprise) and toffee and chocolate. Taste was less bitter than I had expected, a nice stout to finish off the night. Would like to try this beer again, but in a glass next time.

03-24-2010 01:44:54 | More by alysmith4