Moo Thunder Stout - Butternuts Beer & Ale

good

Butternuts Beer & Ale visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Risser09 on 03-26-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moo Thunder Stout Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

After dinner at a local restaurant, I ordered one of these ($5) and a piece of chocolate cake. Thought it would be a nice combo. Poured into a tall juice glass. Dark black color. Surprised to see really no head form. No lacing either. Not much smell to report, and the taste was sub par. It had a somewhat roasted barley flavor with a hint of milk chocolate. Only problem was that it seemed very watered down. Both the flavor and the body were extremely thin. Not what I expected or hoped for. I guess you could say it was easy to drink because it was so mild and watery, but I would not call this a great example of a craft stout. Though it did leave me curious as to what their other beers taste like in these funny looking cans.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into my standard shaker glass. The stout appears a dark brown color with about a finger of lingering ecru foam. Smells and tastes of roasted grain, both bittersweet and milk chocolates, bitter grassy hops. A bit thin bodied with ample carbonation. Worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Cute can! I recommend looking at Butternuts website - its highly entertaining. And interesting; this beer is a nod to the fact that their brewery was once a dairy farm.

Appearance - dark black with 1 finger brown head.
Smell - marshmallow, coffee with sugar, malts
Tastes - malty, roasty, coffee, with a sweet edge of caramel
Mouthfeel - creamy
Drinkability - okay. It's good but a little too intense to drink much of. It's a sipper, but fun and tasty.
Definitely worth a try, I may have this again.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

Can into nonic pint glass

A- Really black with a little head (off white).

S- Roast malt with a yeasty smell.

T- Burnt with a pleasant underlying sweetness.

M- very thin for a stout.

D- Not bad. This would be a very good golf course beer. The people I shared this beer with did not like the sweetness, but to me, it was no different than having a soda to knockout a thirst (not that I am comparing this beer to a soda-just it delivery in the heat!).

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Hanna-Barbara-esque cartoon cow; calls itself a stout and right under that a "farmhouse ale"; brewed by Butternuts Beer & Ale (isn't ale beer?); all this in a can. Curiosity killed me. I had to buy a can.

Pours a half-inch stiff brown head, lasts a long time and leaves dots of lace on the glass. Tar-black, just as a stout should be.

Not getting a whole lot of aroma here, just a little nuttiness, maybe a very light hint of coffee and even a little dark fruit if I really use my imagination.

Unimpressive taste. Some coffee bitterness, though not coarse, along with the milky sweetness that I suppose is the main feature here. A nut husk earthiness hangs around into the finish, as does a mellow sourness that creeps up as I get further into it. I'm left a bit unfazed. Not bad, but not really that good either.

Definitely not a very stout texture--a little on the watery side, it just hangs on thanks to the carbonation, which is probably a little heavy for the style.

Sure goes down easily, as it's not heavy of texture, has an undemanding flavor and is light-bodied for the style; nothing offensive about it either. Hey, the can design totally suckered me in, I admit it.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

appearance - Blcak color , nie head but then settled to a pond. Left spots on the glass from lace.

smell - Roasted malts and coffee smell here.

taste - Roasted malt, some bitterness at the end of the taste.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Not bad for a canned beer. Would buy it again, worth a try. Easy drinking beer, funny name for a beer too.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

This underrated little number from New York State is a great beer to grab if you're on a budget or just want to enjoy a great session stout.

It opens with a thin white head and a dark brown complexion, boasting a chocolate aroma with the faint hint of alcohol and oats (although the ABV isn't too high).

Beer is thin with a chocolate bar flavor reminiscent of Rogue Chocolate Stout, but a bit more fulfilling. As it warms, a slight berry flavoring peaks out.

The whole package goes down nicely with a nice, sweet back end and a slight hint of carbonation. It's quite a solid ale, packing the flavor of the "big" beers, but with a price and availability that'll make you smile.

All in all, a reliable and tasty stout.

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Add another canned craft beer to my growing list, this 12 oz'er came courtesy of Wasatch as an unexpected extra. Poured to a pint glass. Website shows this to be 4.9% ABV.

I found some humor in the cow caricature leaping over the word 'STOUT' - which is above 'Farmhouse ale', a term usually reserved for saisons and the like.

A: Dark chocolate brown, but not quite black - there's a deep amber glow when held to light. Head is rather short and quick to fall, building to barely half a finger of khaki cream before dropping as a thin swirl of film and a broken clinging ring. Some lace sticks in latticework patterns.

S: The initial mineral/cocoa aroma is fine, it is a bit like an Irish dry stout aroma-wise. Some sweetness creeps in as it warms, showing the added lactose sugariness of a milk stout - milk chocolate and caramel.

T: Starts with a dark cocoa powder and mineral/chalky huskiness. The bittering gives way at times, allowing a lighter sweetened coffee or milk chocolate to emerge. But the dark roast keeps returning with each new sip, drowning out the sweeter parts of this one. Has plenty of flavor, just not sure about the balance.

M: Light but dense carbonation, rather thin weight. Finishes with a bitter dryness that lasts several minutes.

D: Hmm, this was surprising. With the lactose addition, I expected a smoother, sweeter stout. What I got was more roasted and bitter, with a touch of souring. Still, it's good enough to have again if I were in the mood and somehow found a can in Oregon (or travels took me to NY). Thanks, John.

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours out black with a lot of dark ruby colors coming through where light passes. It has a nice tan head that leaves good lace and actually has hood retention. The aroma is very mild and of dark roasted malt. Nothing burnt or charred. The flavor is nothing special...it's not bad, but it's just a normal stout. In fact, I think this is the best butternuts beer I've had. I give them a lot of cred for canning their beers...great move.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for the opportunity to try this one.

A- 12 oz can poured into a mug. Beer is black with a small white head, even from a hard pour. Decent retention, but not much lacing.

S- Primarily a roasted aroma, with a detectable sweet scent.

T- Roasted flavor and a lot of sweetness from caramel and chocolate notes. Not outstanding or thrilling, but above average.

M- Full body; this beer is pretty thick and creamy. No carbonation evident.

D- I could have a couple in a sitting, but not sure if I'd want to have much more than 2.

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a deep black, with a hint of red coming through in the light. Looks thin pouring out of the can, but darkens and appears to thicken in the glass. Weird. Cocoa frothy head thats thins to quarter inch lacing.

Aroma has a mix of chocolate and roasted malts. Very promising.

A bit of sweet chocolatey malt up front, that is quickly overtaken with with a dry bitter bite.

Mouthfeel is thicker than what I expected from the pour, but still seems to be thinner than I am used to from a stout.

Not my favorite stout, but still fairly impressive. Definitely went a long way to dispell the myth of no good beer comes in a can.

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours deep black with a medium beige head that lasts. Thick, good lacing.

Smell is a bit subdued. Some oaty malts, a thick and grainy smell to it. But it's not all that present.

Taste is very, very good. There's a strong smoky note surrounded by malt, some mild dark fruits that aren't overly present. The focus is definitely on the smoked, roasted aspect of the stout.

Mouth feel is thick, full-bodied, and a joy to drink. Really god brew here, must try.

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Thanks to donkeyrunner for this can.

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: The color the beer is dark brown with garnet hues. There is a creamy tan one finger head, with some retention. The clarity of the beer is opaque. There is some lacing on the glass.

Nose: A roasted malt, cream, molasses, burnt sugar and some hints of fruity esters. There is also a slight hint of bitter coffee in the background.

Taste: A roasted malt complex, with burnt sugar, cream, and coffee in the flavor of the beer. There is a slight hint of fruity esters, bitter hops, and resin.

Overall: The mouth feel is a lightly medium body that is creamy and flat. The finish is light and quick. I must admit the name on the can had me laughing, but the beer in the can doesn't have me laughing. The beer is rather uninteresting, flat and the burnt character is a little overwhelming. It is just okay.

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown (almost black) with several fingers of foamy mocha colored head. Decent looking retention leaves back some spotty swathes of lacing. The aroma is a bit subdued at first but then opens up VERY NICELY as it warms. Chocolate, lactose, roast, maple syrup, and very dominant coffee all help give this aroma some pop. It took a bit of time to get there but was ultimately worth it.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about the taste. It's similar to the aroma but it's just not popping out at all. Chocolate and milky sweetness up front, followed by some coffee and roasted bitterness in the back. Decent but a letdown compared to how nicely the aroma opened up. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lower feeling carbonation but still has an underlying creaminess to it that keeps it smooth in the mouth.

Not bad, especially compared to a couple other offerings from Butternuts and I actually finished the can. I just wish that the overall flavor had given up some more.

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

poored from bonus can from serving at the CNY beerfest black as night no light escapes this sucker, jet black in direct light as well, big bubbles formed the head that dropped down to a foam which left pretty good lacing.
Smell is all big black coffee nothing else happening there
Taste is again with the black coffee, ya know that smell of asphalt during summer rain? that's in a taste here, random sweetness shows up too at the end
mouthfeel is typical dry stout feeling
drinkability this is on the same plane as those big 3 from Ireland

2.13/5  rDev -40.3%

A gift from kbnooshay. My first stout in a can. I know, I know, TEN FIDY! blah...blah...blah... haven't tried it yet.
Pours black. Less than impressed with the head on this one; mostly because there was virtually none. There are a few small dots of lace on my glass, but I'm not sure how they got there.
Smells really good though. Some nice roasty malt, coffee and chocolate. No discernable hop presence. A touch sweet.
Flavor was also very good. An even roasted bitterness that transitions into a sugary sweetness in the finish. Some coffee & powdery bakers cocoa. Slightly medicinal.
Feel is thin & watery, somewhat underwhelming.
Still a pretty tasty and drinkable stout. I enjoyed it. Where it loses points is in the aesthetics (look & feel).

UPDATE: 11-04-09

Ok this is not what I remember. I remember a beer that was thin, but flavorful (read above). This is just a thin, watery mess. Smells strange, like the inside of a rubber boot, and is virtually tasteless. What flavor can be detected has an off quality. Maybe they add ginger to this one too, like they do with the Pale Ale??? Not sure and don't care. Won't be buying it again.

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A rum and coke appearance, it is dark but not truly black in colour. It's far more luminous than most stouts; the entire bottom is distinguished by lambent chestnut. With strong back lighting I can almost see my finger. This isn't as concerning as the complete and total lack of head. Perhaps it's part of the 'farmhouse' theme, but this surface is more flat and bare than a prairie mile.

The aroma is selling some nice things but for whatever reason I'm not interested in buying. The chocolate smells artificially syrupy as if from a cheap ice cream stand. The coffee smells stale like it's been sitting on the counter all morning. The roast malts seem like they could have been pulled from the kiln a few minutes earlier. I like smelling chocolate, coffee, and roast malts in my stouts but this particular cast isn't doing it for me.

Liquid smoke and sponge cake make for a decent (albeit dreadfully plain) tasting stout. There are also hints of coffee grinds and powdered chocolate. Each sip, however, concludes on the same off putting, overly ashy note which soon gives out to a sweet lingering. They better start adding more malt if they plan to keep printing 'stout' on the can.

What I see as blue they'd probably call green, Butternuts and I apparently have differing perspectives (or tastes, anyways). They celebrate the fact that their stout is lighter than others - which is fine - but I wouldn't consider that to make it more drinkable. The fact that they've left out the "tail and teats" isn't a good thing in my books, I sorrowfully wish they had left them in. This beer needs a little more beef ... so to speak.

It's good Butternuts comes out and says that this isn't meant to be heavy or viscous. It might otherwise have been confusing with 'Thunder' in the name. I'm sure there are people who would prefer a stout this light bodied, I'm simply not one of them. I didn't dislike Moo Thunder, I enjoyed it an average amount, which seems about right considering it's an average stout.

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

Stout in a can with a frolicking cow fleeing from a lightning bolt = awesome. Also, their website has the best layout of any brewery I've seen. Anywho...

Pours black, and holds that way even when held to light. Large, foamy mud brown head with end of glass retention and muliple layers of lacing (four to be precise).

Smells of dark roast malt and some coffee. After sticking my nose in the glass I got some almond scent as well.

Silky dark roast really comes through. Minimal coffee. Smooth, milky mouthfeel. A prefectly uncomplicated and balanced stout. Freindly and pleasant though a bit watery.

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz can from Wasatch... John knows I like canned micros.. and this brewery is new to me.. thanks! Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Wow.. looks are not great.. even not good.. no head.. no lace.. no cap.. the brew is dark brown when held to a light.

aroma is sorta underwhelming.. mild chocolate and very subtle roastiness... some background dark cherry fruitiness as it warms..

flavor is better.. nice coffee overtones.. cocoa is prevalent without ever going big. the problem is.. it is very clean... not alot of anything going on. pretty body and carbonation for the style.. but we're talking flavor.. and this one just leaves me yearning..

Overall.. I gotta give a better review than the above would suggest.. I have a PNW palate.. and while this brew is solid.. actually it is pretty damn good for the style.. it needs more head retention and lace.. but overall.. it is okay.

Thanks John.. this is another brew that I probably never would have traded for.. and now.. I gotta try their others... Galt loves a good canned Micro.

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to Wasatch for this one.

12 oz can, poured into an imperial pint glass. Virtually no head and a thin tan ring around the edges. Color is a dark ruby red to black. Not quite what I have in mind for a stout.

Smell is a rich dark chocolate with some dark roasted coffee. Very sweet aroma. Taste is more of a dry cocoa, but still chocolaty. There is some sweet black berry notes.

Mouthfeel is not as light as a dry stout, but no where near a milk stout creaminess. Very smooth and would be a great alternative to Guinness.

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

From a can, so cool.

I poured it hard, into a tall, wide-mouth, Ball jar. The head was two inches and rising. Porous with some big craters. It's stout-black. The head flattened and it eased down the sides though it did stick in some spots.

Their is a vegatable smell in the nose. I try not to read reviews before I write mine, but I saw the same comment in the most recent review. Once you get past the vegatables, there is a very soft coffee aroma that whiffs up.

The taste is a mild coffee and chocolate. A light, light roast. The beer is wonderfuly balanced. Just a little sweet ... just barely bitter. The interplay is more discernable as it warms. Just the slightest hint of roasted malt in the finish. No real bitterness in the first half but in the second, there was some bitterness in the early part of the finish.

A light to medium mouthfeel.

So Drinkable! I just loved to drinking it. I enjoyed thinking about the beer but I could certainly drink the beer without thinking about it ... a nice break from all the imperial stouts I've been drinking.

easy, friendly, doesn't have to be the center of attention ... really a delight I thought.

2.83/5  rDev -20.7%

12oz can.

Poured a dark brown with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate, vegetables, and some weird earthiness. There was just something 'odd' about this aroma. Tastes of chocolate, light roast, and coffee. Hmm...

Notes from: 3/6/08

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Special thanks to Wasatch for the trade on this one!

A: Poured a nice brown, with an off white/tan head about half an inch thick, quickly subsided to a film with a few gobs of lacing on the sides. A very light colored stout.

S: Big time chocolate on this one, that really dominates the front of the nose, chocolate milk, and a faint hint of lightly roasted coffee, odd smell of permanent marker?

T: A lot of the flavors in the nose follow through to the tongue, chocolate sweetness, roasted malt bitter/burnt flavor, lots of milk chocolate, really not a whole lot else, an interesting beer though. A good lighter stout.

M: Thin, and not very carbonated, a little bit of stickiness on the lips, and a rather dry easy finish. Not too shabby at all.

D: This wouldn't be a bad session beer, at all, smooth, as far as I can tell low alcohol, and pretty tasty to boot. A little light for the stout name, but not so light as it might be mistaken for a brown ale. Good, easy drinking stout.

Note: Avoid at all costs butternuts' website. It's pretty darn lame.

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: More opaque than I thought it'd be, with the light coming through just at the bottom and side edges of the glass. Nice lighter mocha-colored head that leaves some interesting rings and clumps around the top of the glass.

Smell: Mild coffee, roasted malts, and sweetened chocolate that seem fairly balanced, though it's a bit too mild to make an impact that has much potential.

Taste: A nice balance of chocolate cream, roasted malts, and mild coffee, with an interesting note of lighter sweetness after a bit of bitterness from the hops that melds together well at the end.

Mouthfeel: Oddly thinner-bodied and a bit watery, with the carbonation fighting at the end to make itself presence, but it falls a little short. It may not be as noticeable for some brews, but for a stout, it's pretty easy to recognize.

Drinkability: Probably my favorite from the Butternuts mix pack. More carbonation would help this brew out a lot. But as far a flavorful stout I could drink a few of on a cooler day, this works for me.

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks to marcpal for slipping this into a full & screamingly happy box of beer that arrived not long ago, a brew straight off my wants list. Who wouldn't want a beer called "Moo Thunder"?

Props for the name, the cute little can, & the pitcher black pour. Smells very nice, sweet chocolate. Tastes like straight-up coffee with some malt creamer, stirred with a chocolate-coated stick. The first sip kind of revolted me. The second & third grow on me. I'm liking it better & better.

Weakness is in the beer's thinness. It tastes kind of like real coffee, which I liken to dirt mixed thoroughly with water, & the stout behind it doesn't grab enough sac. Drinkability is great.

I'd definitely have this once in a while if it was local. Solid beer.

Moo Thunder Stout from Butternuts Beer & Ale