Moo Thunder Stout - Butternuts Beer & Ale

Butternuts Beer & Ale visit their website
New York, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Risser09 on 03-26-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moo Thunder Stout Alström Bros
3.06/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to donkeyrunner for this can.

Poured into a pint glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: The color the beer is dark brown with garnet hues. There is a creamy tan one finger head, with some retention. The clarity of the beer is opaque. There is some lacing on the glass.

Nose: A roasted malt, cream, molasses, burnt sugar and some hints of fruity esters. There is also a slight hint of bitter coffee in the background.

Taste: A roasted malt complex, with burnt sugar, cream, and coffee in the flavor of the beer. There is a slight hint of fruity esters, bitter hops, and resin.

Overall: The mouth feel is a lightly medium body that is creamy and flat. The finish is light and quick. I must admit the name on the can had me laughing, but the beer in the can doesn't have me laughing. The beer is rather uninteresting, flat and the burnt character is a little overwhelming. It is just okay.

3.42/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown (almost black) with several fingers of foamy mocha colored head. Decent looking retention leaves back some spotty swathes of lacing. The aroma is a bit subdued at first but then opens up VERY NICELY as it warms. Chocolate, lactose, roast, maple syrup, and very dominant coffee all help give this aroma some pop. It took a bit of time to get there but was ultimately worth it.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about the taste. It's similar to the aroma but it's just not popping out at all. Chocolate and milky sweetness up front, followed by some coffee and roasted bitterness in the back. Decent but a letdown compared to how nicely the aroma opened up. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lower feeling carbonation but still has an underlying creaminess to it that keeps it smooth in the mouth.

Not bad, especially compared to a couple other offerings from Butternuts and I actually finished the can. I just wish that the overall flavor had given up some more.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

poored from bonus can from serving at the CNY beerfest black as night no light escapes this sucker, jet black in direct light as well, big bubbles formed the head that dropped down to a foam which left pretty good lacing.
Smell is all big black coffee nothing else happening there
Taste is again with the black coffee, ya know that smell of asphalt during summer rain? that's in a taste here, random sweetness shows up too at the end
mouthfeel is typical dry stout feeling
drinkability this is on the same plane as those big 3 from Ireland

2.13/5  rDev -40.3%

A gift from kbnooshay. My first stout in a can. I know, I know, TEN FIDY! blah...blah...blah... haven't tried it yet.
Pours black. Less than impressed with the head on this one; mostly because there was virtually none. There are a few small dots of lace on my glass, but I'm not sure how they got there.
Smells really good though. Some nice roasty malt, coffee and chocolate. No discernable hop presence. A touch sweet.
Flavor was also very good. An even roasted bitterness that transitions into a sugary sweetness in the finish. Some coffee & powdery bakers cocoa. Slightly medicinal.
Feel is thin & watery, somewhat underwhelming.
Still a pretty tasty and drinkable stout. I enjoyed it. Where it loses points is in the aesthetics (look & feel).

UPDATE: 11-04-09

Ok this is not what I remember. I remember a beer that was thin, but flavorful (read above). This is just a thin, watery mess. Smells strange, like the inside of a rubber boot, and is virtually tasteless. What flavor can be detected has an off quality. Maybe they add ginger to this one too, like they do with the Pale Ale??? Not sure and don't care. Won't be buying it again.

3.47/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A rum and coke appearance, it is dark but not truly black in colour. It's far more luminous than most stouts; the entire bottom is distinguished by lambent chestnut. With strong back lighting I can almost see my finger. This isn't as concerning as the complete and total lack of head. Perhaps it's part of the 'farmhouse' theme, but this surface is more flat and bare than a prairie mile.

The aroma is selling some nice things but for whatever reason I'm not interested in buying. The chocolate smells artificially syrupy as if from a cheap ice cream stand. The coffee smells stale like it's been sitting on the counter all morning. The roast malts seem like they could have been pulled from the kiln a few minutes earlier. I like smelling chocolate, coffee, and roast malts in my stouts but this particular cast isn't doing it for me.

Liquid smoke and sponge cake make for a decent (albeit dreadfully plain) tasting stout. There are also hints of coffee grinds and powdered chocolate. Each sip, however, concludes on the same off putting, overly ashy note which soon gives out to a sweet lingering. They better start adding more malt if they plan to keep printing 'stout' on the can.

What I see as blue they'd probably call green, Butternuts and I apparently have differing perspectives (or tastes, anyways). They celebrate the fact that their stout is lighter than others - which is fine - but I wouldn't consider that to make it more drinkable. The fact that they've left out the "tail and teats" isn't a good thing in my books, I sorrowfully wish they had left them in. This beer needs a little more beef ... so to speak.

It's good Butternuts comes out and says that this isn't meant to be heavy or viscous. It might otherwise have been confusing with 'Thunder' in the name. I'm sure there are people who would prefer a stout this light bodied, I'm simply not one of them. I didn't dislike Moo Thunder, I enjoyed it an average amount, which seems about right considering it's an average stout.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Stout in a can with a frolicking cow fleeing from a lightning bolt = awesome. Also, their website has the best layout of any brewery I've seen. Anywho...

Pours black, and holds that way even when held to light. Large, foamy mud brown head with end of glass retention and muliple layers of lacing (four to be precise).

Smells of dark roast malt and some coffee. After sticking my nose in the glass I got some almond scent as well.

Silky dark roast really comes through. Minimal coffee. Smooth, milky mouthfeel. A prefectly uncomplicated and balanced stout. Freindly and pleasant though a bit watery.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz can from Wasatch... John knows I like canned micros.. and this brewery is new to me.. thanks! Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Wow.. looks are not great.. even not good.. no head.. no lace.. no cap.. the brew is dark brown when held to a light.

aroma is sorta underwhelming.. mild chocolate and very subtle roastiness... some background dark cherry fruitiness as it warms..

flavor is better.. nice coffee overtones.. cocoa is prevalent without ever going big. the problem is.. it is very clean... not alot of anything going on. pretty body and carbonation for the style.. but we're talking flavor.. and this one just leaves me yearning..

Overall.. I gotta give a better review than the above would suggest.. I have a PNW palate.. and while this brew is solid.. actually it is pretty damn good for the style.. it needs more head retention and lace.. but overall.. it is okay.

Thanks John.. this is another brew that I probably never would have traded for.. and now.. I gotta try their others... Galt loves a good canned Micro.

3.96/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to Wasatch for this one.

12 oz can, poured into an imperial pint glass. Virtually no head and a thin tan ring around the edges. Color is a dark ruby red to black. Not quite what I have in mind for a stout.

Smell is a rich dark chocolate with some dark roasted coffee. Very sweet aroma. Taste is more of a dry cocoa, but still chocolaty. There is some sweet black berry notes.

Mouthfeel is not as light as a dry stout, but no where near a milk stout creaminess. Very smooth and would be a great alternative to Guinness.

3.94/5  rDev +10.4%

From a can, so cool.

I poured it hard, into a tall, wide-mouth, Ball jar. The head was two inches and rising. Porous with some big craters. It's stout-black. The head flattened and it eased down the sides though it did stick in some spots.

Their is a vegatable smell in the nose. I try not to read reviews before I write mine, but I saw the same comment in the most recent review. Once you get past the vegatables, there is a very soft coffee aroma that whiffs up.

The taste is a mild coffee and chocolate. A light, light roast. The beer is wonderfuly balanced. Just a little sweet ... just barely bitter. The interplay is more discernable as it warms. Just the slightest hint of roasted malt in the finish. No real bitterness in the first half but in the second, there was some bitterness in the early part of the finish.

A light to medium mouthfeel.

So Drinkable! I just loved to drinking it. I enjoyed thinking about the beer but I could certainly drink the beer without thinking about it ... a nice break from all the imperial stouts I've been drinking.

easy, friendly, doesn't have to be the center of attention ... really a delight I thought.

2.79/5  rDev -21.8%

12oz can.

Poured a dark brown with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate, vegetables, and some weird earthiness. There was just something 'odd' about this aroma. Tastes of chocolate, light roast, and coffee. Hmm...

Notes from: 3/6/08

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Special thanks to Wasatch for the trade on this one!

A: Poured a nice brown, with an off white/tan head about half an inch thick, quickly subsided to a film with a few gobs of lacing on the sides. A very light colored stout.

S: Big time chocolate on this one, that really dominates the front of the nose, chocolate milk, and a faint hint of lightly roasted coffee, odd smell of permanent marker?

T: A lot of the flavors in the nose follow through to the tongue, chocolate sweetness, roasted malt bitter/burnt flavor, lots of milk chocolate, really not a whole lot else, an interesting beer though. A good lighter stout.

M: Thin, and not very carbonated, a little bit of stickiness on the lips, and a rather dry easy finish. Not too shabby at all.

D: This wouldn't be a bad session beer, at all, smooth, as far as I can tell low alcohol, and pretty tasty to boot. A little light for the stout name, but not so light as it might be mistaken for a brown ale. Good, easy drinking stout.

Note: Avoid at all costs butternuts' website. It's pretty darn lame.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: More opaque than I thought it'd be, with the light coming through just at the bottom and side edges of the glass. Nice lighter mocha-colored head that leaves some interesting rings and clumps around the top of the glass.

Smell: Mild coffee, roasted malts, and sweetened chocolate that seem fairly balanced, though it's a bit too mild to make an impact that has much potential.

Taste: A nice balance of chocolate cream, roasted malts, and mild coffee, with an interesting note of lighter sweetness after a bit of bitterness from the hops that melds together well at the end.

Mouthfeel: Oddly thinner-bodied and a bit watery, with the carbonation fighting at the end to make itself presence, but it falls a little short. It may not be as noticeable for some brews, but for a stout, it's pretty easy to recognize.

Drinkability: Probably my favorite from the Butternuts mix pack. More carbonation would help this brew out a lot. But as far a flavorful stout I could drink a few of on a cooler day, this works for me.

3.62/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to marcpal for slipping this into a full & screamingly happy box of beer that arrived not long ago, a brew straight off my wants list. Who wouldn't want a beer called "Moo Thunder"?

Props for the name, the cute little can, & the pitcher black pour. Smells very nice, sweet chocolate. Tastes like straight-up coffee with some malt creamer, stirred with a chocolate-coated stick. The first sip kind of revolted me. The second & third grow on me. I'm liking it better & better.

Weakness is in the beer's thinness. It tastes kind of like real coffee, which I liken to dirt mixed thoroughly with water, & the stout behind it doesn't grab enough sac. Drinkability is great.

I'd definitely have this once in a while if it was local. Solid beer.

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

Reviewed on 12/26/08. Can. Pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt. Flavor is quite sweet with roasted malt and roasted nuts in the finish. A pretty decent stout, especially for one that is 4.9%. Flavor is better than the aroma.
6/3/7/3/14 (3.3/5)

3.82/5  rDev +7%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured with almost no head. I'm not a fan of a lot of head, but even splashing this from the can into the glass brought an absolutely minimal head. Aroma was very nice. Had that roasty smell that good stouts and porters have. Flavor followed the expectations that the aroma set. Nice body, although slightly thin for the style. Very drinkable. Of the 4 styles that came in a sampler pack I found this to be the best of the bunch. This stout doesn't seem to have the weird flavor the other 3 styles had. I would certainly drink this more regularly if it was locally available.

3.66/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz can that I must thank IBUnit63 for. I have been intrigued by this crazy cow beer in a can for quite a while. Served up in my DFH shaped pint.

A: Pours what appears to be a nice black into the glass, but I was pouring right in front of a light source. As the stream fell into the glass, you can clearly see that this is a dark brown that has wonderful red hues to it. As it sits idlely in the glass, it appears to e black. Nice mocha head rests on top and has pretty nice retention. The lacing is actually pretty sticky and is webbing the glass everywhere. Looks good.

S: Smell isa bit of a let down. All I am getting is a mildly roasted malt and a bit of lactose. There is honestly nothing else coming out of this glass. Shame.

T: Taste makes up for things a bit. The first thing that hits you is a nice dark coffee flavor. Then you get some roasted malts. From there some flavors of chocolate milk develop. The chocolate is absolutely of the milk chocolate variety. There is a touch of nuttiness to this brew as well. Slight hop bitterness in there as well.

M: This is a bit thin. Its medium in body but on the thin side with a touch of wateriness to it. Carbonation is a bit higher than I expect from a stout. It does finish pretty clean with only a slight hops bitterness on the aftertaste. ABV is not noticable whatsoever.

D: This brew has some things going for it and then some things holding it back. It is a very easily drinkable brew. Just a good taste and good look, but the feel and nose is lacking. Still, this is not a let down in any way and I really enjoyed this beer. Thanks again, Larry.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Can courtesy of dkachur - thanks!! Poured into a traditional pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown of average thickness - pretty average - with a nice, bubbly, foamy one-and-a-half-finger cocoa-colored head of average retention. It initially leaves some nice, fluffy, flame-like lacing with a nice sheen of thin foam.

Aroma: Solid if not groundbreaking. Heavy on the toasted malts - not too heavily toasted, though I do detect a few stray smoky astringencies - and more towards the coffee-end of things than the chocolate-end. Those two aren't really ends on a spectrum, but, you know what I mean.

Taste: Again, pretty good if not mindblowing. Similar to the nose - toasted malts, coffee with one cream, faint milk chocolate, slight smoke, plus a dash of mild hop bitterness and a faint, grassy hop note. There's a slight tartness to the milkiness, perhaps due to the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin bodied, with minimal carbonation - most of the prickle is from the mild hop bitterness and the toasted astringencies. Smooth and creamy, even and mild, and overall pleasant.

Drinkability: This is actually a pretty good, probably my favorite of the sampler four-pack, even though it's not my favorite style. The alcohol was manageable and completely hidden, the tastes textbook, enjoyable, and balanced. Give this one a shot.

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Strange what a mental thing can do... even though the cans tend to have farm animals (or farm-related matter on them), I can't help but see stout and the cow and want to believe that this is a milk stout, though it would appear that it really is not.

A: Brew itself is pretty black, though the head is lighter than I would have thought... pale beach sand, or lightly toasted marshmallow.

S: Coffee grounds stand out, or perhaps a little closer to a chilled coffee drink. Nice roasted malts make for a softer, but pleasant smelling beer.

T + M + D: Modest, but still flavourful. Some light chocolatey flavours, along with modest coffee and a tasty maltiness that is certainly accessible. It's on the lighter side, as is the body, though it comes with a nice little carbonation kick to turn it up a notch. The ABV is presumably rather low (I haven't been able to find it, though I haven't searched too deep yet), and drinkability seems hellishly easy. Goes down extremely smooth. This could make for a reasonable session candidate.

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks goes out to Bounty628 for this brew.

Pours a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, not much sticky lacing though. The nose is malty, with some toffee, caramel, chocolate. The taste is sweet, malty, with the dark stuff. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a nice brew, recommended.

3.46/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from can into my Grimbergen chalice.

Dark black in body and a tan one finger head. The head fell quickly to a transparent lace over the body. Lacing left on the glass from the head is almost completely solid. Nose is a subtle smoke, a little malt. Taste has a strong smoke flavor, mild carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, but the flavor is a bit boring on this one, the most I get are the smoked malts, though the carbonation picks up the more I go through it.

3.64/5  rDev +2%

Another guy in a can that I'm excited to try. Can features a hilarious cartoon cow dodging a black lightening bolt - I gotta show this pack around for the some laughs. I don't know why they felt it necessary to print on the side that the beer contains 150 calories, 8 grams of carbs and 1 gram of protein, and 0 grams of fat, but it just adds to the fun quirkiness. Pours your standard stout black with a brown foaming head. Smells of dark chocolate but not much else. Tastes great: yes on the dark chocolate, expresso, charred steak. Thick mouthfeel but not as dense as some in its class, which I suppose makes it more drinkable than most in its class. I'll buy another pack and bring it out with friends.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours black with dark rubyish brown edges. A light tan head descends to a patch. Spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of dark maltiness, roast/ash and milk chocolate.

The taste is chocolate-y - almost like chocolate milk. It has some earthy notes in the back with some roast/ash, and chickory. It has a dry-ish, roasty-ish finish.

It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied - more porterish and stoutish, though it has a creamy smoothness to it.

An enjoyable stout - sweetish turning dryish. Some complexities going on for a lighter, easy-drinking stout.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

12oz can into Scandanavian mug.

Deep black hue with a one finger tan head that slowly settles to a thin rim.

A light amount of deep roasty grains without much to speak of.

The light roasty grains repeat in the flavor with not much else. A little bit of coffee and chocolate in the flavor. Full bodied with good carbonation. The deep grains linger for a while.

An okay stout, it has all the good characteristics but I felt the flavor and aromas were a bit muted.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz can

Pours an opaque dark brown color with a medium size, sticky tan head. A fair helping of roasted chocolate malt on the nose as well as a subtle but zingy hop character. Smooth and creamy enough to make this one session-able stout for sure. Just enough going on to keep interest. Solid malts give off notes of chocolate and light coffee all this is set atop of a fresh, fruity hop balance. Good semi-sweet grainy finish as well. Over all, a very nice beer.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

I poured this one from a 12oz can into a tulip pint glass.

A= This stout poured a dark black/brown with cola colored highlights around the edges. The light tan head was really insane. Took me a few minutes just to get 12oz into a 20oz glass. The head eventually dropped to about 1/4" and stayed there. Lots of sudsy lace down the glass.

S= The aroma of this beer was not terribly good. Some sweet and roasty malts, coffee, and mild alcohol present, but also a very pungent bitterness that was not very pleasant.

T= Much better than the smell, the flavors were a nice balance of creamy sweet and bitter roasty malts. A flash of earthy hops in there midway, followed by more mild coffee bitterness in the finish.

MF= Relatively thin body with a creamy mouthfeel. Light carbonation.

D= Nice drinkable stout here. Nothing world class, but also nothing to complain about either. Very sessionable.

Moo Thunder Stout from Butternuts Beer & Ale