Outrage Ale - Butternuts Beer & Ale

No picture uploaded.

Butternuts Beer & Ale visit their website
New York, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: plaid75 on 11-23-2008)
2.05/5  rDev -45.3%

20 oz pour at Press 195, Bayside, NY.

Medium amber brew withvery little head (probably due to pouring method), minimal lacing.

Nothing really to detect on the nose (maybe too cold).

Flavor is Ok up front, citurs and pine hoppiness, but very one note, and off balance--little malt counterpoint to the hoppiness. The finish is very dry and astringent, somewhat unpleasant. Drinkability suffers. Pretty much a miss.

kenito799, Apr 11, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

(From notes)

A - Orangey-copper color poured with one finger of a white foamy head. Head retention could have been a bit better

S - Citrusy hop bitterness, with a slight touch of malt in the aroma. The aromas should have been a bit more pronounced for the style

T - What the brew lacked in aroma, more than made up for it in the taste. Great hoppiness--mixture of citrusy and pine flavors. Solid maltiness to back up the assertive hops

M - Medium MF, and a bit more coating than others in the style, but still nice. Very pleasant and expected. Nice level of carbonation

D - Very drinkable IPA, and the complexity of the hop flavors really made it an interesting brew. Sample went very quickly

Overall, really good brew and nice take on the style. The aroma could be the only thing that needs to be improved, just didn't match up to the great flavors in the taste. Recommended.

Nickls, Feb 15, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

I had this 1/2 barrel of Outrage for over a month as I was saving it for the Butternuts Tasting at Bellport Cold Beer on 12/27, which went over very well yesterday. My enthusiasm for tapping the barrel was spurred on by the previous reviews here as well as a call from the brew-master for my evaluation shortly after the delivery.

The Outrage poured very easily from the tap with only a modest amount of dense foam as it filled empty growlers for thirsty customers and half pints for me. Its opaque brown and copper body sparkled like good champagne as I held the pints up to the light to take a look from the bottom and sides. My pondering observation did not last long as the strong aroma of hops burst from my tall glass while I swirled it around to check the body, like one would a pinot noir.

The aroma sent a polished Crane's note invitation for a taste to my senses as I delved into it. I marveled at the medium body of the ale as I tried to guess the subtle parts of the recipe. While the hops opened the show, the interesting background in malts left me wondering what to pair it with.

Two pints later, I found the Outrage to be very drinkable and a familiar character in my taste range.

bonbright7, Dec 28, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +4%

Growler. Pours a clear copper color with very little head. Aroma of bready malt and floral hops. Flavor of weak pale malts with a ton of bitter hops. A touch of tropical fruits/mango comes out at the end. A quality beer from an unsuspecting brewery!

I also had a sample of this straight from the tap at a tasting at Big Z Beverage and the hops were much more prominent. It was a real bitter hoppy bomb with only light hints of malt. In the growler, the hops have died down a little (even though the growler is only 1 day old) but actually I think I enjoy the beer better now.

Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 14/20
3.7/5

LilBeerDoctor, Nov 24, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured an herbal hop and a tight, dry caramel malt.

The taste was extremely clean and consisted of a neat doughy malt with a cleansing and drying herbal/citric hop.

The mouthfeel was dry and extremely clean, with an average fullness.

Overall a very tasty ale. Extremely quaffable.

plaid75, Nov 23, 2008
Outrage Ale from Butternuts Beer & Ale
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.