Simcoe Single Hop IPA - Mikkeller ApS

Simcoe Single Hop IPASimcoe Single Hop IPA

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Brewed at De Proef Brouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malts (pilsner, cara-crystal and munich), hops (simcoe) and yeast.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-05-2006)
cjacobsen

1.4/5  rDev -65.1%

(A) Poured into a snifter. Sat a brown, earth toned orange and decent amount of sediment. I've seen mop buckets with more attractive looking liquid.

(S) Really faint hops. It has a weird citrus-like smell, almost as if you were smelling a wet rag that was used to wipe up orange juice...a week ago. Smells like wet grass.

(T) Tastes a bit malty, but mostly that week old grass clippings that have been fermenting in the garage waste bag. If I drank the brown juice from a 2 week old batch of lettuce, I would imagine it would taste like this.

(M) There is little to no life to this despite the fact that it was decently carbonated.

(O) Simcoe is no stand alone hop. Dank brew and needs a lot of work. Cool to experience, would turn it down if offered again. I don't know why so many people have liked this.

03-26-2011 17:15:11 | More by cjacobsen
sweemzander

1.7/5  rDev -57.6%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Pours a cloudy sediment-filled brown amber color. Produced some off-white bubbles.

(S)- A bitter dry oaky pine presence. Very resin-like aspect driven too. Hints at raisin and caramel.

(T)- Very bitter yet sweet. Lots of dry oaky bits with raisin and caramel malts. Not what I would expect from an IPA.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Very bitter with poor hop presence. Very disjointed and strange.

(D)- This is a fail in my opinion. Very dank and bitter with alot more malt presence that anything else. Its almost like a brown ale parading around as a IPA. Glad we split this cause I am having trouble finishing my part.

03-19-2011 00:00:40 | More by sweemzander
jgasparine

Maryland

1.73/5  rDev -56.9%

Sampled the Nugget, Amarillo, Chinook, Tomahawk, Simcoe, Kent Goldings, and Warrior side-by-side. All draught pours at Max's in Baltimore on 4/22/2010.

A- All have a very similar appearance. All with some form of a thin off-white head and some touches of lacing. The Simcoe exhibited nothing more than a haze layer. The body was a cloudy copper color, with no visible carbonation.

S- Initially, not much of an aroma... most likely due to them being served cold. With the Simcoe, you're getting a pale and vienna malt base on the nose, along with a horrible aroma of body odor. I understand that Simcoe can sometimes come across unpleasantly- like cat urine. This is definitely the case... pungent and unapproachable.

T- This thing tastes like body odor and gym socks. For the record, I have never tasted a dirty armpit, nor a gym sock... but this beer tastes just like how I would envision that experience. I have considered this being a bad keg, but a National BJCP judge suggested that this offensive flavor very-well could be attributed to the Simcoe.

M- Thin to medium in body. Highly attenuated with a soft carbonation. Not bad... not great.

D- The Simcoe Single Hop was awful as far as my tastes go... I might try it again, in a vain attempt to experience a better use of the hop.

04-24-2010 21:18:49 | More by jgasparine
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.45/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours a five finger white head that fades very slowly to a thin layer, leaving a good lace. Hazy amber color. Grapefruit hop nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor follows the nose with grapefruit hops, any malts are way in the background, lingering bitter after taste. Good IPA, but not for me. $7.00 for a 330ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

02-03-2010 23:43:21 | More by jdhilt
JLeege

2.78/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance- Hazy burnt orange, nice off white head. Tons of floaties and sediment.

Smell- Grapefruit, peach, some pine. Not as aromatic as I was expecting or hoping for.

Taste- Follows the aroma, a touch of smoke as well. Mostly citrus is what I am getting.

Mouthfeel- fairly creamy, average carbonation.

Overall- This was my first from the single hop series. I was not quite sure what to expect but this one seems very underwellming. Hoping for a bit more from the rest of the series, seeing as I dropped $6.50 on each bottle... This one did not really work for me.

09-02-2010 04:45:47 | More by JLeege
Gobzilla

2.78/5  rDev -30.7%

A: pours a murky yellow orange with a 2 finger bubbbly head that has good retention and some good sticky lacing.

S: could smell some piney hops in the middle and a little malty sweetness. I also get a bit of some citrus aroma like grapefruit zest.

T: I thought it would have more piney bitter character from the nose, but the malts seem to over shadow the hops on this one. Almost no hopppy bitterness to this IPA.

M: The beer is medium body with very little carbonation.

D: It's a decent beer and would have to say that it falls into the session beer category. I think I could take this to a party and drink it all night like some miller light. I might be to hard on this review because I just finish having a PTE, and I also know that beguim breweries really don't make great IPA's.

04-28-2010 05:27:03 | More by Gobzilla

garuda

11-14-2011 15:40:35 | More by garuda
Zraly

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a deep amber-orange with a rocky two-finger head. Faint smell of bread and yeast cake -- not picking up on the hops so much. It's within range but seems to be missing something upfront.

What is upfront is a lot of sediment; I see "floaties" dancing in my glass. The hops are juicy and citrusy -- and coupled with the straightforward malt flavor -- this lends a general roundness that I appreciate. Finish is dry and decent, overall body is medium. Singular in focus, it is singular in how I interpret is: a decent, straightforward IPA featuring a single hop. With that said...

The market saturated with IPAs and the competition is stiff. I don't mind shelling out $$ for good beer -- but I paid $6 for one 12 oz bottle of this. That's on me more so than the brewer, though. So with more affordable IPAs that taste better, I'll likely pass on this in the future. At the very least it was interesting to experience a Simcoe-focused ale.

12-03-2011 22:02:09 | More by Zraly
Cresant

Kentucky

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured this 11.2 oz. light brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. Dated 22/10/10 on the red bottle cap. I'm alittle confused by the label stating, "brewed and bottled by Mikkeller at De Proef Brouwerij Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium". I thought this was a Danish brewery?

The body was golden with a slight haze and chunks. The creamy head was pocked and it left sheets of lacing. Very persistent and impressive head.

Smell was funky hops. Earthy. Faint oranges. Actually a lot less smell than I expected considering Simcoe is known for great aromas.

Taste was a big hops/oily flavor without harshness. Some sweetness but topped with robust and lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel medium/light in body. Thinner than expected with light to medium carbonation.

I wondered as I drank this one why I had purchased an imported IPA that uses hops that were probably grown in the Pacific Northwest, shipped to Europe, brewed and then shipped back to the states. I have to say it was probably the Mikkeller name. I am sure I could find a better all Simcoe IPA brewed right here. (I'm not xenophobic, just thinking about the carbon footprint and retail price of this one!)

02-28-2009 19:25:07 | More by Cresant
kojevergas

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

6.9% ABV confirmed. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. 11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with white standard pressure cap and red no-frills label acquired in a trade from Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!) and served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; Mikkel is me favourite brewer but this series hasn't had many winners.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a six finger light khaki colour head of good cream and thickness, nice frothy texture, and rather good (~6 minute) retention. Light thin even lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a respectable vibrant copper; clear and translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looking pretty solid for an IPA overall. I'm excited to try it. No notable flaws - just room for improvement.

Sm: Caramel, dry resins, pine. A hint of bubblegum. Musty. Floral and tropical. I didn't realize simcoe was so complex. A bit candy-esque. Caramalts and pale malts comprise the unobtrusive body. An interesting aroma, but not ideal for the style. Still, I'm excited to see where this one goes. A mild strength aroma.

T: Bubblegum, candi sugar, caramel, and some floral character. The bubblegum is dominant. Where's the pine from the aroma? The sticky malty sweetness is more interesting than the hop character. It's a pretty simple brew all around, but it is more complex than most of the other beers in this series that I've had. It speaks a lot to simcoe's complexity, but it's definitely not a hop that can lead an IPA. Imbalanced overall. Built decently. It's not bad, but isn't notable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Pretty good thickness. Slightly undercarbonated; it works here. Suits the flavour profile well. Not all that creamy. Pretty soft.

Dr: Drinkable but largely forgettable. An interesting experiment, but not a beer I'd get again. Convinces me simcoe is a solid background hop, but it can't dominate the hop profile of a successful IPA. Hides its ABV well.

C+

05-07-2013 00:30:20 | More by kojevergas
bfields4

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a very full head the carbonation is very nice and tight. The body is a murky pale yellow gold haze.

Floral and herbal hops dominate the nose.

The taste is more of a citrus hops taste with bit of pineyness. A little more subtle then I was expecting.

All and all a pretty good IPA, but nothing that jumped out at me. I like the fact they announce the simcoe hopes on the front. it's nice knowing what I'm tasting.

04-02-2009 03:42:50 | More by bfields4
boston2bburg

3.23/5  rDev -19.5%

Light orangey-amber with white head, a little murky. Nice smell, piney and dank, leaning towards the perfumy end. Sharp, biting bitterness, pine with very little malt backbone. Thin, and leaves a lingering harshness on the sides of the tongue. Seems to have a phenolic/high alcohol thing going on too, and I could see more than one leaving me with a headache. I appreciate what they're doing with this series, but for the price ($7!) I'd expect a neater product.

11-16-2010 03:58:09 | More by boston2bburg

South Carolina

12-22-2013 04:09:04 | More by FUwolfpacker
brewdlyhooked13

3.25/5  rDev -19%

(Side-by tasting with the mikkeller warrior)
Appearance - pours a murky, dirty orange, a good four fingers of head quickly form. Lots of flaky sediment to this, the bigger chunks settling out while the smaller particles hang suspended. The head falls back irregularly, leaving a ragged cliffside of a terrain with huge pockets and divets. A few whole clumps are stuck to the side for a most three-dimensional lacing.

Aroma - earthy, pungent hops laced with pine. More florals emerge with warming.

Taste - as expected, the flavor follows the nose, an earthy pungent hop flavor. I get less presence of malt here, whether that is due to two hoppy-ass beers attacking my palate or what, I'm not sure. This one goes medicinal on the swallow, too, but with more flavor character, i.e. some grapefruit lingers on there and now some late caramel showing up. The medicinal bitteness is still too much for me to enjoy this beer, though.

Mouthfeel - feels smoother than the warrior and not quite as crisp.

Drinkability - I'd probably prefer this one to the warrior, but not by much.

09-08-2009 03:07:09 | More by brewdlyhooked13
KVNBGRY

09-13-2013 14:00:54 | More by KVNBGRY
ADZA

Australia

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

On pouring this beer it has light copper colour to it with a one finger beige/off white head and is perfectly carbonated,there is a little floral/grapefruit smell to it but not much smell really compared to the other single hop ipa's from mikkeller and on tasting you can taste the passionfruit flavours with a nice malty/bitter backbone to it with a little alcohol warmth but not much,overall a nice ipa but definately not my favourite from mikkellers single hop ipa's.

06-28-2009 10:25:17 | More by ADZA
frothyhead

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a hazy and chunky copper amber/brown in a pint glass with a decent 1 finger off-white head. Looks like I should have poured more carefully, this one is chunky.

Nose is hoppy with pine and grapefruit. There seems to be a bit of sulfer/rotten eggs and some mild oxidation/wet cardboard coming through. These notes are very subtle and as the beer warms and the chunky yeast settles to the bottom they are replaced with caramel.

Mouth is medium bodied and silky with some hop oils with a dry, bitter finish. Medium carbonation.

Taste is solid American IPA. Bitter throughout with pine and grapefruit and some earthiness. Not a whole lot of malt to balance it, though there is some mild sugary sweetness as it warms.

Drinkability is decent, though I'm finding the bitter linger perhaps a tad too strong and there is a solid metallic taste that builds on your tongue as you drink more.

Overall this is a decent beer. Nothing outstanding, but solidly drinkable and enjoyable. It seems to have its heart in the right place but has some flaws that keep it from being great.

05-03-2009 23:25:12 | More by frothyhead
JohnQVD

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours with a thick, foamy head and active carbonation. The head never quite dissipates, but does thin out to about a third of an inch. It has kind of a murky, light rust color, much like the citra but a little clearer. Clean smelling, and mildly creamy. Taste is flowery and bitter with a lightest bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very light, and very lightly carbonated. The malt is not as pronounced as the citra, which is surprising because I think this bottle is pretty old. This is pretty decent, but would probably be better if it was fresh.

03-17-2013 17:44:26 | More by JohnQVD
gueuzer

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle

App- Large foamy head, with sticky lacing all over glass. Caramel colored.

SM- Aroma hops, but more mild than I would have expected. Malty sweetness.

Ta- Heavy on the bittering ops. Not balanced with aroma. Overwhelms most everything else, but there are some sweet maltiness lurking in the back.

MF- Large bubbles, but a appropriate (slightly high) amount of carbonation.. The malt have a nice cloying mouth coat.

Dr-OK, but the bittering hops are too much to have very much of this.

This alright, but far from impressive. There are MUCH better IPAs out there and for $7 a bottle this is a big disappointment.

09-20-2010 00:44:17 | More by gueuzer
laituegonflable

Australia

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a brown-orange colour with an almost opaque cloud through it. Head is decent, cream-coloured and dense, leaving some nice sticky trails of lace, and retaining pretty well. Decent looker.

Nose is an interesting one. Very malty and not too hoppy for an IPA. Notes of chocolate, of all things, come first, with a fair amount of golden syrup and brown sugar. Maybe some slight citric notes, but yeah smells more like an American Barleywine than an IPA, only weaker. Not bad but underwhelming, and odd for the style.

Taste starts off quite bitter and pungent. A fair amount of acid with notes of musk, butter and passionfruit. Quite tangy towards the mid, some lemonade characters and some toasty flavours, but yeah, a real zing! to it, gives it a kind of soft drink flavour. Finish is a bit lacking, particularly as far as bitterness goes. Slighty cashew nutty flavour, and an earthy truffle finish right at the end, but doesn't really have the potency I want. Has more tang than bitterness, and as a result is less drinkable than it could be. Not bad, could definitely be better.

Leaves very dry although good texture until the end. Decent mouthfeel.

Overall I think it needs more; the trouble is the flavour and palate profile don't really "wow" me.

01-07-2010 03:11:33 | More by laituegonflable
ArrogantB

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

First off, this beer was completely overpriced at $6.29 for a 12oz bottle but I couldn't resist because I like Simcoes. Dark, turbid orange with some stray proteins floating throughout. It smells very catty and ammonia-like, spicy. Taste has a little too much pepper and garlic going on and reminds me of Green Flash Imperial IPA, not good. I really wish I had my $6 back on this one....

03-22-2009 23:50:14 | More by ArrogantB
shanblur

Indiana

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

Recently purchased at the liquor locker Weinbach location in Evansville, IN. Grabbed the last one. I was shocked to see this in Evansville. Had a date of October last year so I had reservations, but I think the quality was still as intended. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A - Cloudy orange and brown hues with a thick head of fluffy foam. Extensive lacing.

S - Nice hop aroma, but definitely more piney than citrusy

T - Nice piney hop flavor as is expected from the simcoe hops used. Not overpowering

M - Has a very slick mouthfeel with a gentle carbonation.

I am glad I got the chance to try this. These beers are intended to educate on the flavor and aroma profile of certain hop varieties. As a relative newbie to craft beer I appreciated the opportunity to sample a beer using only one hop varietal. I would not hesitate to try the others if offered.

06-28-2011 20:50:30 | More by shanblur