2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek BreakfastBeer Geek Breakfast

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006)
View: Beers (229) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,697 | Reviews: 901 | Show All Ratings:
Tilley4

Tennessee

I've been putting this off and putting this off and now on the only decent snow we've had in western Tennessee in 5 years, I decided to have this one for breakfast while I watched the kiddies make snow angels in the front yard.

This pours out into my Sierra Nevada pint glass with an espresso black coloring and to my surprise, is much, much thicker than I was expecting it to be. It oozes out much like a Ten Fidy or something... Wow, this is impressive looking...

The aroma wafting out off of this is simply divine.... The strong roasted coffee aromas are matched beautifully by the combination of dark chocolate mixed with a sweet dark fruit smell that takes this to a completely different level than most stouts that I've had...

Unlike many coffee stouts that I've had, this one is not at all overdone. A perfect blend of coffee, chocolate, sweet dark fruit, and that reliable oatmeal swirl together on the taste buds to create a magnificent blend of taste experiences. I would almost classify this as an oatmeal stout and that being said, it's without a doubt the best that I've ever had. A masterpiece...

As I watch my 3 and 5 year old highstepping it through the snow with their mother out my front window, this brew makes the moment perfect... It's the only bottle that I have but I can't think of a more perfect way to experience it...

03-08-2008 15:18:25 | More by Tilley4
boddhitree

Germany

Had this on tap from some kind of plastic bag contraption of a keg at Braukunstlive 2014 in Munich Germany. It tasted super fresh, meaning they must have driven this stuff down directly from Denmark.
I had their Beer Geek Breakfas a few years ago at another beer festival in Germany and it was every bit as good as I'd had it before. My god, it's basically lick sucking a straw of an espresso with some imperial stout mixed it. I had it in America from a bottle, and in 2010 at Festival der Bierkulturen in Köln, also from a bottle, but this was from a keg, a plastic keg, but it tasted immensely fresher. It was so overwhelming in flavor of coffee, light chocolate, licorice, roasted malts, my god, I'm glad I only got 0.1L of it... It was better than great, it was better than WOW, it was transcendent.

Serving type: cask

03-18-2014 13:13:32 | More by boddhitree
pjkelley82

4.96/5  rDev +19.8%

Filled my 6oz Firestone Walker snifter from an 11.2 oz bottle.

A-Pours a dark milk/dark chocolate, almost leather colored which is semi transparent when tilted and held to the light. About a 3/4 brown sugar mocha head that fell apart fairly quickly. A good looking beer.

S-Holy mother...fudge, espresso, tons of roast. Some hope scents in there as well. As it warmed I got a slight liquorice scent as well. Smelled very strong in the best way possible. Im thinking no way is this an oatmeal stout.

T-So bold and raw. Dark chocolate and espresso, roast for days. Nice hop presence in there as well. Liquorice, some other berry element. Think Chocolate covered espresso.

M-There goes the oatmeal stout. Smooth and creamy, not watery but not thick. Medium feel but goes down like a watered down milkshake. Light carbonation on the finish but you really pay no mind because of the bitterness of the chocolate, hops and espresso that lingers in the end.

O-You know the saying "send my regards to the chef", well send my regards to the brewer because this is a phenomenal piece of craftsmanship. I love to hate it in so many ways. Hate it cause of its price but trust me its worth it. Love it cause its that good. Really.. Im so happy this is readily available by me so ill be buying more.

04-10-2014 20:19:03 | More by pjkelley82
BeerSox

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

22oz bomber into imperial pint glass

Pitch black with a thick one inch brown head that lasts forever. Thick and foamy rings line the glass, with spotty lacing inbetween.

Dark roasted malts and barley with a touch of molasses.

Very thick and deep roastiness with a bit of a smoky taste. Very thick, almost like oil, which allows the flavors to stick to the mouth. There isn't much of an assertive hoppiness, which in the case of this beer is a good thing. The finish is grainy and smokey, with much of the beer coating the tongue.

Beer out of Scandanavia is something new to me, which is a shame. The heavy malty beers that come out of this place have been outstanding. But rather than being an eye-catching beast from the outside, they are tame, but give you your money's worth. Highly recommended.

08-04-2007 02:42:36 | More by BeerSox
mattboyer182

Indiana

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours thick and black. Brown head. Big smells of coffee. Perfect mouth feel for a stout. Pure amazing taste. It became my favorite stout. Thick, sweet, malty flavors. Extreme amounts of coffee. Easily better than any other oatmeal stout I've had. Loved it.

08-25-2010 23:50:59 | More by mattboyer182
letsgopens

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

The appearance of this stuff is almost completely black with a slightly dark brown/mocha head with some nice peaks. The head holds very well and leaves good lace.

Deep sweet and bitter cocoa approaches the nostril, exciting the senses. Loads of roasted malt and spent coffee/espresso grounds.

Thick, dark, bitter cocoa and lots of coffee flavor. Sweet creamy milk chocolate emerges in the middle followed by a dense but slightly sweet espresso flavor that lingers in the finish. Fantastic.

The texture is creamy and dense with a lingering heaviness on the palate. Absolutely outstanding. I'm so happy I got my hands on some of this stuff. One of the best beer experiences I've had.

10-12-2007 00:59:52 | More by letsgopens
drseamus

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Ahh, finallly. A beer with my name all over it.

Poured into my now last remaining DFH snifter. Jet black with a dark mocha head that disappeared quickly. STRONG coffee aroma pours off of this one. There is a bit of chocolate in the background. Very tasty aroma. The taste is better than the aroma. This one is up there with Jah-va for me. Nice roasty flavor filled with coffee and a touch of chocolate. The amazing flavor is complemented perfectly with a nice full creamy body. All in all a great beer with a pretty reasonable ABV for the style.

01-04-2008 02:09:01 | More by drseamus
Bouleboubier

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

This is one spectacular creation.

Pitch-black with a cyclone swirl of chocolate brown head. Streaky lacing. Incredibly rich and complex aroma - dark roast coffee, hint of cocoa, oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins.

Has the essence but not the syrupy sweetness of molasses. The sweetness it did have was mild and sufficient. All of nuances of the aroma carry over wonderfully into the taste as well. The coffee is not pronounced, which I appreciate. The ABV is perfect - the sting of alcohol doesn't bust its way through the flavors desperate for attention. In fact, it's barely noticeable. Great balance, man! I would offer that the taste overall has much in common with Sinebrychoff Porter. A little less dry and with a fuller body.

The most amazing aspect of this beer is how it drops off immediately after savoring a mouth full of magic. It gently rolls off the back of the tongue, leaving not alcohol nor residual sweetness - ghostly. I was most impressed with this as my tongue never got worn out or tired. Probably the most drinkable strong stout I've had. Extremely well-balanced and palatable.

07-25-2010 00:24:20 | More by Bouleboubier
stonelis

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured black with a thick tan head. Smells like toasted malt, chocolate and coffee. I would of sworn there was cinnamon in this as it's a very dominant flavor. Medium carbonation, Alcohol slightly evident. Taste even better as it warms. This is smooth, sweet, and very drinkable.

09-05-2010 06:14:07 | More by stonelis
MrBen

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

Beer Geek Breakfast. The name alone stopped me in my tracks as I scanned the shelves at one of my favorite beer shops for something new to try. The coffee beans pictured on the label immediately put the bottle in my hand. And the description on the label sealed the deal: A combination of an oatmeal and coffee stout.

Not something I'd expect from Denmark.

Mikkeller's brewers did not lie. A nice, somewhat traditional, oatmeal sout awaited. The coffee added a lot of interest to a style I already love, but without overpowering the subtle aspects of an oatmeal, such as the almost flinty/mineral background.

Black, rich, and filling. Easy to drink. Delicious. A beer that I will have again.

08-26-2007 13:08:50 | More by MrBen
akorsak

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

A 6 dL bottle purchased yesterday at State Line.

A: The stout pours a thick and oily black, pitch black with no signs of daylight sneaking through the glass. Atop the beer is a cappucino-colored head that is laced all around the mouth of the glass.

S: When the ale is cold, a distinct coffee aroma emerges that mixes with roasted chocolate. As the stout warms, a deeper aroma emerges, mixing complex bready flavors with the coffee and roasted chocolate.

T: The first sip tells me that this is a serious coffee stout. The coffee upfront is slightly bitter and acrid, creating an iced coffee flavor that nicely segues into the stout body. Roasted malts create a burnt landscape that is chocolatey and bready, with undertones of molasses and oatmeal. The end of a sip reveals a citrusy hop element, creating a sweeter finish that adds a vibrant tone. The end of the beer returns to the dependable burnt malt flavors, coating the tastebuds with coffee and burnt toast long after the sip is gone.

M: Coffee. Stout. Hops. Each adds its own distinct flavors throughout the ale. I was worried that this beer wouldn't live up to the hype. I am pleased to report that this beer IS the hype.

D: The 7.50% abv is moderate enough that I'd happily deal with the aftermath of 3 or so bottles. The coffee and stout are so well balanced that you never mind either one. You must find this, it is imperative. Do it as though your life depended on it.

10-08-2007 01:51:13 | More by akorsak
sachsich

South Carolina

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

This is my first beer from this brewery and I have to admit that I am very impressed. This is the best stout that I have had. I know I havent reviewed much but I do love the stouts. 1 on the list. The color is rich and dark with the first taste of strong coffee.

12-01-2009 23:08:53 | More by sachsich
ckollias

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Dark black with a thick brown-tan head that lingers for awhile and leaves a persistent lace.

S: Strong coffee and chocolate aroma that fills the nose, with a slight hoppy smell.

T: Chocolate and coffee taste with a nice malt background.

M: Amazingly light and smooth for such a heavy beer. Medium body and carbonation

O: One of my favorite beers. Stout + Oatmeal + Coffee + Mikkeller = yummy.

04-22-2011 01:57:06 | More by ckollias
Wasatch

Utah

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks goes out to ThorsHammer for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a deep dark thick black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy/creamy dark tan head, which left a nice blob of oil slick in the middle of the glass, and some sticky lacing around the edge. The nose is big/malty, nice touch of coffee/toffee/chocolate/caramel, and some roastiness. The taste is very malty, slightly sweet, good tones of the dark stuff. Medium body, a well rounded brew. Very drinkable, this is my first Mikkeller, but not my last, I have a Black Hole, Big Worse, Stateside IPA in the closet. Thanks Eric.

02-08-2008 00:50:09 | More by Wasatch
czfreeman

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Ive been looking foward to this for a while. Pours out absolutley pitch espresso black, capped by a lace-thin brown sugar/ espresso-tan head. Sounds strange, but looking down into the brew after the head has dissapated, there is a perfect swirl of lace, like cream was stirred in -odd. Absolutley gorgeous to behold.

Aroma is divine. Notes of various levels of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate,raisin-oats. All together it truly comes together as a bowl of raisin oatmeal with chocolate and a nice cup of coffee.

Before I even begin to describe the absolute delicious flavor, I must say the mouthfeel is absolutley perfect. The lower ABV allows a complexity of flavors to shine through individually without being overwhelming. Flavors of coffee and cocoa,finishes with a silky oat smoothness with long roast flavors with a slight sweetness. Not too sweet, exactly like a good cup of coffee.

This beer, for its name, and flavors and experience it was crafted to showcase is absolutley near-perfection for me. The layers of aromas matched with flavors conjure up so many childlike breakfast-table memories. It really is an amazing accomplishment of success by the very talented,patient, and loving hands that created it. It is a Thomas Keller Salmon tuile-like experience for any foodies out there. A eye-opening revelatin that brings a smile. Congratulations Mikkeller.
...In sampling other breakfat stouts, I must come back to this one and comment further on what a truly perfect breakfast stout this is. It has become my standard to judge every breakfast stout I try

03-07-2008 17:46:22 | More by czfreeman
peabody

Kentucky

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours out a really dark black with a foamy brown/tan head that is composed of many small bubbles. Very nice lacing.
Smell is malt and toffee and coffee and chocolate and almost a vanilla aroma. Not a lot of hops can be detected through the nose but the combination of smells here make up for any shortcomings.
Taste is sweet dark malts and coffee. This is such a great tasting beer. Don't know why it's not in the top 100. That coffee taste really stays with the aftertaste for quite some time.
Mouthfeel is very clean. Not a lot of oil here which I like and the coffee that stays with you for a while is really mild and more sweet than bitter.
I could drink this stuff for breakfast/lunch and dinner if it were more redily available.

05-15-2008 21:02:09 | More by peabody
whiskeysoda

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Ryan of Verdugo Bar was gracious enough to introduce me to BGB at his new establishment, "Surly Goat" (GO, for the love of god, if you haven't) before it opened a few months ago. Since then, it has become my favorite espresso stout (probably favorite stout?) to date.

I have only had this particular oatmeal/espresso stout one from the bottle (they just got a keg of it Goat that I'm going to have to try).

POURS a very attractive, rich tarry black with a fine, light brown/tan head that almost resembles that of crema from a freshly brewed espresso. So far, living up to it's name.

The NOSE is bursting with freshly ground, chilled espresso beans that really wakes up the senses (definitely living up to it's name) and substitutes the thick, resinous, syrupy aroma of heavier coffee stouts like Speedway with bright, with bright notes of lavender, nutmeg and hints of Mexican chocolate.

The PALATE is just as intense with flavor as the nose, but allows for every component to shine; fresh espresso, dry dark chocolate and violet with a MOUTHFEEL that just just as bright and clean as the nose. Very quaffable.

I'd say this is the gourmet espresso of beer to the rich espresso truffle with chocolate sauce that Speedway is; where both give you rich, delicious sensations, but only one leaves you room for another. Delicious.

06-04-2010 22:24:47 | More by whiskeysoda
jeffjeff1

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

I got this at Monument Wines and Spirits a few days ago.

Appearance- black color, thick tan head, nice lacing

Smell- roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, very nice smell

Taste- roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, very nice flavor as well

Mouthfeel- full bodied

Drinkability- This was an awesome stout. Very good. I will definitely want more of this.

01-18-2011 21:04:36 | More by jeffjeff1
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

The thick motor oil black brew pews out of the bottle settleing into the glass thick and fat. Head is a gorgeous rich milk chocolate colored set of active bubbles. About a half inch of thick lace is left behind. Nose is full of robust spicey coffee, coco and toasty malt notes. It is very inticing. Enters the mouth cranking out a zesty rich spicey richness. This fueled by wonderful full coffee tones that are carried nicely by the oats. Burnt malts are all over the palate and add nicely the feel. Incredibly smooth and amazingly complex. This beer shows great balance. The richness of this beer lomes long on the mouthfeel with appropriate coffee feel. This beer belongs in the upper echelon of coffee based stouts. Very lovely drinkable brew.

03-10-2008 01:25:38 | More by SPLITGRIN
JohnnyP3

Alaska

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

.5L Bottle. Batch 412. Brewed on 17 Mar 09, best before 17 Mar 11. Poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours like motor oil, smooth and sticky. Produces a very substantial tan, creamy head. The beer really coats the glass and sticks to the sides. Some of the best lacing I've seen. Color is pretty much black--completely opaque.

S: I can smell dark chocolates from the malts and a milky oatmeal aroma. Coffee bean aroma is there as well. Definitely a roasted undertone that permeates everything.

T: Delicious oatmeal/coffee/chocolate combination going on here. Taste pretty well matches the smell. Great dry/roasted/burnt finish to each sip. As the beer coats the mouth more, the coffee flavors begin to stand out more and more. With warming, the coffee/chocolate flavors are more pronounced. Also taste some baker's/powdered chocolate in there. Even a little dark fruit pops out and says "hello."

M: This beer deftly massages the palate and goes down like liquid velvet. Just the right amount of carbonation to cut through the fat from the bacon and eggs.

D: Fantastic. For a 7.5% beer, the alcohol is nicely subdued. It's there, but nicely in the background. I could certainly drink a couple of these, but then I'm sure the strength of the beer would induce a mid-morning coma. All in all, an excellent stout. Style/taste overall strikes me more as an American stout, rather than an imperial/double. But, the ABV is more in line with an imperial.

03-20-2010 09:25:34 | More by JohnnyP3
SkunkWorks

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottled poured into a tulip glass.

Look: pours black as could be. The beer receives an exceptional look score by me based on the head. I poured relatively aggressively and ended up with a three finger, creamy mocha colored head, kind of the color of coffee when milk is added. I've never seen a color quite like this before. It looks creamy and retains very well leaving behind clean layers of lacing. As it dissipates, it opens up with little craters in the small, foamy bubbles. A thin layer remains at the top of my beer until I am finished with it. Beautiful.

Smell: roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and its quite sweet. This smells very nice. There's a little vanilla. This is basically what I want every stout to smell like. Incredible. I'll give this an exceptional mark as well. If the taste follows well, I might end up hitting this with a 5.0.

Taste: a little black coffee, but not as heavy handed with the coffee as something like Founder's Breakfast Stout is. Dark chocolate, molasses, and dark caramel are also in there. I can't taste any hops and this is a dark malt heaven. Congrats, Mikkeller. You are probably going to get my high score. Incredible. The alcohol is hidden very well, which is no surprise because of the low ABV for an American Double Stout.

Feel: very smooth and creamy. Its not as full as I'd expect from a Double Stout and feels more like a conventional oatmeal stout. While I like it, its not quite chewy enough. Still enjoyable but not quite what I'd want for a double.

Drink: very drinkable. I finished my glass a little faster than I would've liked to. I could certainly have a few of these.

Overall, I'm really impressed by this beer. I really love it. If Mikkeller's other stuff approaches this, he's pretty hard to beat. Believe the hype on this one and do yourself a favor and pick it up. You won't regret it.

11-14-2010 18:53:59 | More by SkunkWorks
leaddog

Alberta (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance - Pours a thick dark black with about 2 finger widths of dense, foamy mocha head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smell - Espresso, coffee beans, bourbon vanilla, cocoa.

Taste - Strong flavours of espresso, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate permeate the brew, with a touch of milkiness and vanilla sweetness. Leaves a pleasant bitterness (likely from the espresso/coffee beans).

Mouthfeel - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and creamy feel to it.

Overall - An impressive imperial stout by Mikkeller. Great balance and intensity of flavours with little ABV detected. Fantastic appearance - as soon as it poured from the bottle, I was ready to dive in. Definitely worth a buy!

03-18-2012 03:30:15 | More by leaddog
CommanderOfAwesome

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Snifter.

A: Pours a DARK black with caramel 1 finger head. Great head retention and lacing on the glass.

S: Incredible. Got a great smokey smell with some toasted marshmallow and strong chocolate aroma.

T: Smooth, creamy, and chewy. Chocolate milk almost. Oh man this is good.

M: Nice thick and chewy. Lingers on the palate.

O: Fantastic beer that lives up to the hype.

10-26-2012 17:45:45 | More by CommanderOfAwesome
klewis

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Pours a total black with a very dark, bubbly head. Moderate lacing.

S: Huge smell with a dominant roasted peanut character with coffee and chocolate aromas as well. THe intense character of each of the aromas makes this one stand out.

T: Lots of coffee flavor. Starts out with a raw earthy taste and gradually evolves into a tasty mocha capacchino flavor.

M: A bit lighter in body than I would expect from such a big flavor, but at only 7.5%, I suppose I can't fault it too much. Subtle carbonation and a strong lingering flavor help its cause.

D: Quite fantastic. I needs me more.

09-18-2007 04:08:44 | More by klewis
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

The name of the person that traded this to me escapes me. My apologies. This beer pours a very nice, dark black, with a tan head. I am a big fan of beers with tan, almost brown, heads.

The smells of this beer instantly make there way to the nose. It has notes of coffee, chocolate, and a oat-ness.

The taste is so rich and well balanced that I cant help but want to quickly consume this beer. Coffee and chocolate dominate this beer. It's a great piece of work.

The mouth is rich and creamy. I really like this beer

Overall, I would love to get my hands on more of these. If you can get them BM me and lets trade.

05-01-2008 03:13:33 | More by iconoklaztor