Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006)

SoCalBeerIdiot, Mar 03, 2014

IdrinkGas, Jan 04, 2012

craftbeerasian, Oct 01, 2013

Phil_H, Oct 31, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I just picked up a bottle of this one. To be honest, I was VERY psyched to find it! I had heard great things about it (and I love coffee brews), but (unfortunately) what I found was not good.

Even though I don't drink a lot of stouts/porters these days, I still enjoy some. With that being said, I usually enjoy a stout/porter which is fairly malty...or one which at least has a decent malty, balancing flavor. I especially like the ones which include coffee as well. The BGB was way too dry for my tastes. It had a long, lingering, dry/biting, charred finish which totally turned me off. There was some slight coffee in there, but it wasn't all that strong. Combine that with a very low level of malty sweetness, and you end up with this brew. I read that the current batch was brewed in a different location (Norway?) from the last batch (Belgium?) so I'm wondering if there's a difference between the two. I don't know, but whatever the case, I had to drain-pour this bottle. I just couldn't stomach it at all. It tasted very much like a mix of (what I assume would be) a dirty cigarette ashtray combined with a hint of espresso. Yuck! I wish I had spent my $9 on some more Peche Mortel which I picked up at the same time...now *that* was a stout I liked!

PS - I would suggest Bell's Java Stout, Central Water's Coffee Stout, and/or Great Divide's Oak aged Yeti with Espresso wholeheartedly over this brew...and yes...that Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel too. Oh what the heck, let's go ahead and throw in Alesmith Speedway and Deschutes Abyss as well, even though they don't have strong coffee flavors. You know what? Why not throw something else in from my imperial stout loving friends...I liked it, but they LOVED it...and it's called Bell's Expedition Stout.

ohmybock, Jun 25, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -45.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours like a dark brown bomb. With a sudden explosion of tan head that fizzles out pretty soon. Moderate lacing. Little to no light gets through the edges of this glass. A decent looking beer.

Smell is kinda one sided. Coffee is the big contender here. well lets not joke around its the only contender. When I get past the coffee I am left with a metallic twang. Really off putting.

Taste is harsh. The coffee that is there tastes almost like brewed coffee that has sat in the fridge for a few days then left out till room temp. Combine that with the return of the metallic presence from the nose and I am left with a rather un-enjoyable beer.

I was just really set back with this beer. I would try it again in hopes that I might have had a subpar bottle but Im in no rush

Mauerhan, Dec 05, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

kds2437, Mar 29, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

A- dark brown - big caramel color head
S- vanilla, caramel, coffee smell
T- Bitter coffee flavor- too much bitterness for a stout
MF- hard to drink, very carbonated.
D- very bitter for a stout. very carbonated as well. would not be interested in drinking again. so carbonated and bitter makes my face squish up. Do not like that!

AprilMarie, May 03, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -44.2%

A: black coffee colored, one finger head gives way to wispy dark tan head, nice lacing

S: burnt sugar, iron, char, smells more like a porter to be honest

T: burnt toast, the metallic iron that I got in the nose. I get none of the coffee or the sweet malt I would expect from this kind of stout, and all the sharpness and bitterness that I would expect of a rorter. In fact I find it relentlessly bitter, way too much for my taste, without anything to counter balance it. It's like drinking coffee dregs or even what I would imagine charcoal tastes like

M: way too carbonated for this style, no suggestion of the smooth, creamy oats, too thin for something this strong

D: I found this rather unpleasant and all around out of whack. Too bitter, too carbonated, not enough flavor. I would expect more from Mikkeller

nickhiller, Sep 07, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -41.7%

0.5L bottle, no date.

appears jet black, with 1" thick creamy tan head. great head retention and decent lacing.

as expected, strong aroma of sweet oats and roasted coffee. the taste doesn't really match the aroma. instead, very bitter, with lingering strong metallic aftertaste. not good. body is smooth and creamy, fairly thick.

just way too bitter with nasty aftertaste. very disappointed, especially for such a high price tag.

jmdrpi, Apr 28, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -41.3%

A: Pours black. Beautiful dark brown 1.5" head.

S: Aroma is light and porter like. Minimal coffee, more iron.

T: Strong, acrid iron with good coffee flavor. Minimal chocolate notes.

M: Very thin, little body. Not very 'imperial'

D: This brewer comes with much hype. Little disappointed.

telecomz, Sep 25, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -41.3%

I was very excited to try this and compare it to Founders Oatmeal Breakfast stout. Poured into pint glass from bottle.

Appearance, slight brown but mostly black, giant head.. enormous tight chestnut brown head, bordering on ridiculous. Not so sure that's a good thing.. Head has big retention, it takes forever to go away.

Smell. What smell? Closed nose, barely a whiff of any kind of coffee, malt or anything. where is the coffee in this beer??? This is not looking good.

Taste. Enter the dead zone, except some slight faint malt and a mild hop finish and on aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very wet, no body, where is the aroma and flavor in this beer?

Drinkability, I'll pass but at least it wasn't painful to try.

smakawhat, Nov 17, 2010

BGsWo22, Aug 31, 2013

TubaDan, May 11, 2014

steevbr, Jul 13, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep, dark black with a 2" black and tan head that simmered down after a couple minutes and left some nice lacing in its wake. The nose was immediately present and I thought I had a bottle of chocolate root beer in front of me. Interesting, and probably not a good sign.

Taste started off reasonably well with some chocolate flavors but no coffee. Sadly, the finish is way out of my range of likes. Not that I've ever done it, but if you were to stick the wrong end of an extinguished cigar in your mouth you'd probably be close to how this one finishes. 100% tobacco ash. Body is much thinner than I expected for a double.

Really disappointed in this one.

Another6Pack, Jul 03, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

pours dark dark brown - looks black in the glass - 1+ frothy tan head that left some spotted lacing

smells of chocolate roasted malt no coffee??

taste is ok - same roasted chocolate malt that was in the nose again no coffee - weak flavors - i have had stronger porters

mouthfeel - a very thin light body with low carbonation

overall - maybe this was past its prime or i got a bad bottle - but after drinking this i would not buy this beer again

jsh420, Oct 03, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

Typing up this review from notes. I had this along with several other coffee beers with my girlfriend a few months ago. I remember being very disappointed by this beer. However after reading my review I think that this bottle could have been infected and I might have to revisit this brew at another time.

A Black with a brown hue on the edge. Big caramel colored head.

S - Vanilla/caramel with a hint of coffee and a bite of alcohol.

T - Bright, Latin American flavored coffee with a lingering bitterness. Not much roasted flavor in this brew. A bit acidic.

M - really carbonated, maybe overly carbonated.

D incredibly bitter. Not what I want in this style. Would not pick up this brew again.

jpmclaug, Jun 29, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours brownish-black, incredible huge, rocky and dense tan head that stays around for the duration, lots of lacing. Some malted milk chocolate aroma and espresso in the nose. Taste is disappointing...sour coffee taste, almost like drinking a day-old cup of coffee, bitter chocolate, it's a touch sour. Really active carbonation for the style, comes off more like a porter to me. I'm generally a big fan of stouts/porters that leave coffee aftertaste, but this one is just too much. For the money, this was a big letdown. Still interested in trying more from Mikkeller, but this one just isn't for me.

corey0212, Jul 03, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -35%

I was really looking forward to this brew and in fact cracked it open and shared it with a few friends. The color is black and that is it! The smell was very strong. Alcohol was the main thing we all smelled with hints of coffee and chocolate. The taste was heavy on the alcohol in the front followed by a big dose of coffee flavor and lastly a bit of bitterness at the end. Although at 7.5%, I could really taste the alcohol and for me it was not that enjoyable. I will give this beer another try later on and will see if my opinion changes!

Kala1073, Jul 13, 2010