Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Beer Geek BreakfastBeer Geek Breakfast

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.
Reviews: 953 | Hads: 2,273
2.26/5  rDev -45%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I just picked up a bottle of this one. To be honest, I was VERY psyched to find it! I had heard great things about it (and I love coffee brews), but (unfortunately) what I found was not good.

Even though I don't drink a lot of stouts/porters these days, I still enjoy some. With that being said, I usually enjoy a stout/porter which is fairly malty...or one which at least has a decent malty, balancing flavor. I especially like the ones which include coffee as well. The BGB was way too dry for my tastes. It had a long, lingering, dry/biting, charred finish which totally turned me off. There was some slight coffee in there, but it wasn't all that strong. Combine that with a very low level of malty sweetness, and you end up with this brew. I read that the current batch was brewed in a different location (Norway?) from the last batch (Belgium?) so I'm wondering if there's a difference between the two. I don't know, but whatever the case, I had to drain-pour this bottle. I just couldn't stomach it at all. It tasted very much like a mix of (what I assume would be) a dirty cigarette ashtray combined with a hint of espresso. Yuck! I wish I had spent my $9 on some more Peche Mortel which I picked up at the same time...now *that* was a stout I liked!

PS - I would suggest Bell's Java Stout, Central Water's Coffee Stout, and/or Great Divide's Oak aged Yeti with Espresso wholeheartedly over this brew...and yes...that Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel too. Oh what the heck, let's go ahead and throw in Alesmith Speedway and Deschutes Abyss as well, even though they don't have strong coffee flavors. You know what? Why not throw something else in from my imperial stout loving friends...I liked it, but they LOVED it...and it's called Bell's Expedition Stout. (1,763 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -45%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours like a dark brown bomb. With a sudden explosion of tan head that fizzles out pretty soon. Moderate lacing. Little to no light gets through the edges of this glass. A decent looking beer.

Smell is kinda one sided. Coffee is the big contender here. well lets not joke around its the only contender. When I get past the coffee I am left with a metallic twang. Really off putting.

Taste is harsh. The coffee that is there tastes almost like brewed coffee that has sat in the fridge for a few days then left out till room temp. Combine that with the return of the metallic presence from the nose and I am left with a rather un-enjoyable beer.

I was just really set back with this beer. I would try it again in hopes that I might have had a subpar bottle but Im in no rush (797 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -43.8%

A- dark brown - big caramel color head
S- vanilla, caramel, coffee smell
T- Bitter coffee flavor- too much bitterness for a stout
MF- hard to drink, very carbonated.
D- very bitter for a stout. very carbonated as well. would not be interested in drinking again. so carbonated and bitter makes my face squish up. Do not like that! (330 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -43.1%

A: black coffee colored, one finger head gives way to wispy dark tan head, nice lacing

S: burnt sugar, iron, char, smells more like a porter to be honest

T: burnt toast, the metallic iron that I got in the nose. I get none of the coffee or the sweet malt I would expect from this kind of stout, and all the sharpness and bitterness that I would expect of a rorter. In fact I find it relentlessly bitter, way too much for my taste, without anything to counter balance it. It's like drinking coffee dregs or even what I would imagine charcoal tastes like

M: way too carbonated for this style, no suggestion of the smooth, creamy oats, too thin for something this strong

D: I found this rather unpleasant and all around out of whack. Too bitter, too carbonated, not enough flavor. I would expect more from Mikkeller (816 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -41.1%

A: Pours black. Beautiful dark brown 1.5" head.

S: Aroma is light and porter like. Minimal coffee, more iron.

T: Strong, acrid iron with good coffee flavor. Minimal chocolate notes.

M: Very thin, little body. Not very 'imperial'

D: This brewer comes with much hype. Little disappointed. (290 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -41.1%

I was very excited to try this and compare it to Founders Oatmeal Breakfast stout. Poured into pint glass from bottle.

Appearance, slight brown but mostly black, giant head.. enormous tight chestnut brown head, bordering on ridiculous. Not so sure that's a good thing.. Head has big retention, it takes forever to go away.

Smell. What smell? Closed nose, barely a whiff of any kind of coffee, malt or anything. where is the coffee in this beer??? This is not looking good.

Taste. Enter the dead zone, except some slight faint malt and a mild hop finish and on aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very wet, no body, where is the aroma and flavor in this beer?

Drinkability, I'll pass but at least it wasn't painful to try. (714 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -38.4%

0.5L bottle, no date.

appears jet black, with 1" thick creamy tan head. great head retention and decent lacing.

as expected, strong aroma of sweet oats and roasted coffee. the taste doesn't really match the aroma. instead, very bitter, with lingering strong metallic aftertaste. not good. body is smooth and creamy, fairly thick.

just way too bitter with nasty aftertaste. very disappointed, especially for such a high price tag. (435 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -37%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep, dark black with a 2" black and tan head that simmered down after a couple minutes and left some nice lacing in its wake. The nose was immediately present and I thought I had a bottle of chocolate root beer in front of me. Interesting, and probably not a good sign.

Taste started off reasonably well with some chocolate flavors but no coffee. Sadly, the finish is way out of my range of likes. Not that I've ever done it, but if you were to stick the wrong end of an extinguished cigar in your mouth you'd probably be close to how this one finishes. 100% tobacco ash. Body is much thinner than I expected for a double.

Really disappointed in this one. (666 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -35.3%

pours dark dark brown - looks black in the glass - 1+ frothy tan head that left some spotted lacing

smells of chocolate roasted malt no coffee??

taste is ok - same roasted chocolate malt that was in the nose again no coffee - weak flavors - i have had stronger porters

mouthfeel - a very thin light body with low carbonation

overall - maybe this was past its prime or i got a bad bottle - but after drinking this i would not buy this beer again (449 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34.8%

Typing up this review from notes. I had this along with several other coffee beers with my girlfriend a few months ago. I remember being very disappointed by this beer. However after reading my review I think that this bottle could have been infected and I might have to revisit this brew at another time.

A Black with a brown hue on the edge. Big caramel colored head.

S - Vanilla/caramel with a hint of coffee and a bite of alcohol.

T - Bright, Latin American flavored coffee with a lingering bitterness. Not much roasted flavor in this brew. A bit acidic.

M - really carbonated, maybe overly carbonated.

D incredibly bitter. Not what I want in this style. Would not pick up this brew again. (698 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours brownish-black, incredible huge, rocky and dense tan head that stays around for the duration, lots of lacing. Some malted milk chocolate aroma and espresso in the nose. Taste is disappointing...sour coffee taste, almost like drinking a day-old cup of coffee, bitter chocolate, it's a touch sour. Really active carbonation for the style, comes off more like a porter to me. I'm generally a big fan of stouts/porters that leave coffee aftertaste, but this one is just too much. For the money, this was a big letdown. Still interested in trying more from Mikkeller, but this one just isn't for me. (600 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -33.6%

I was really looking forward to this brew and in fact cracked it open and shared it with a few friends. The color is black and that is it! The smell was very strong. Alcohol was the main thing we all smelled with hints of coffee and chocolate. The taste was heavy on the alcohol in the front followed by a big dose of coffee flavor and lastly a bit of bitterness at the end. Although at 7.5%, I could really taste the alcohol and for me it was not that enjoyable. I will give this beer another try later on and will see if my opinion changes! (542 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

Aroma- big roasty malt and coffee, some bittersweet chocolate and a hint of smoke.

Taste- roast from the malts and a hint of coffee. Surprisingly a taste of alcohol that's kind of weird. There's an off taste in this beer for some reason.

Mouthfeel- I was expecting a thick and rich stout but unfortunately falls flat. Its to watery for my taste and it leaves an ackward film on my tounge.

Overall- I'm very disappointed with this one especially $7.99 for an 11.2 oz bottle. Not for me. (492 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -32.1%

A: Pours DEEP black color with a good 2 fingers head. Big retention.

S: The only thing going on was a bit of coffee, but even that was a bit muted. Pretty boring.

T: It tasted like coffee. Honestly a bit too much like coffee and not enough beer taste. Very bitter and dry taste. Kind of like day old coffee straight from the filter itself. Way too one note. Not terrible though.

M: Low body. Way too thin for what I like in a double stout. Carbonation level was a bit high, but not bad.

D: Too much bitter coffee for me to drink too much of it. Also, $9 a 500ml, no thanks. Much rather havee a 4-pack of FBS for a bit more. (627 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -31.4%

16.9 oz bottle

A: Dark black under a big dark brown head. Good lace and retention, great looking stout.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate and some coffee. Slight rubbery twang that I have become accustomed to in Mikkeller.

T: Bad. Maybe some coffee, a bit of sweetness and chocolate. But there is some pepper thrown in, bitterness is way off balance and that rubbery twang pops it's head up again (much like my experience with Black Hole).

M/D: Slick, creamy, decent mouthfeel. Not very drinkable for me, a drain pour if not for the amount spent on the bottle. I don't know if it's truly the beer or if I am just having bad luck with Mikkeller. Seems that nearly everything I pick up from them is a big dud. (707 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Arrived in a snifter.

3.25 A: Black color. Came with just the slightest medium brown head.

3.75 S: Big coffee - deep roast. Very raw malty, grainy. Resiny with herbal hops.

2.5 T: Overly roasty and charred. Lacking depth. Too dry with too much hop bitterness.

2.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Lacking creaminess.

2.5 D: Overly bitter. No good. (374 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Smell: lots of things here: smoke, coffee, roasted malt, burnt sugar, chocolate, something that I think is mint, and some licorice. Big, heavy smell.

Taste: same as the smell, only bigger, heavier - coffee, chocolate, smoke, lots of roasted malt (tar?), heavy bitterness. Not as sweet as I thought it would be, but very bitter and thick. This one was not easy for me to drink. (50 cl bottle is way too much if you dont share it with someone, which I didnt.) I really didnt like that coffee taste. However, if you like this style, then you'll probably like this one; it seems to me to be well done. But personally, I dont like it. (631 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -28%

Black. Black black. Big dark brown head of tiny tiny bubbles - you know it will last. Smells like coffee and chocolate milk. And here we go... Shucks. It's dry and really smokey. It might be nice in another 10 years after it's mellowed some. Or if it had some body/sweetness to help balance out all of the smoke/bitter. As it is, well, I'm not interested.

And, wow, a terrible aftertaste. (389 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -28%

Another letdown by Mikkeller. Why must you always disappoint? I had big hopes for you, but your dark rich appearance did not match your taste. You were thin, overly carbonated, and dominated by roasted malts. Coffee? I tasted none. Maybe it was the bitter back end that was to be coffee. I will never know. Thanks, but I'll stay with the local breakfast stouts. (361 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Pours a jet black color with some brown hues around the edges. Very viscous looking. Provides a thick light brown foam head with sufficient lacing.

S: A little milder on the nose then expected. Mostly roasted chocolate, alcohol and some mild hints of coffee.

T: Starts off slightly metallic with some dark roasted chocolate, barley, oatmeal and hints of alcohol. The middle is more of the same. Finishes with a slight tease of roasted coffee.

M: Not as creamy as expected with such a viscous looking beer. Leaves a slight roasted and boozy taste on the palate.

O: A little disappointed with this, thought the coffee taste would be more prevalent in a beer that calls itself beer geek breakfast. (702 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours black with a nice thick brown head. It stays around in fluffy clouds, and you get a decent bit of lacing. The smell seems a bit lacking. There's not a strong coffee aroma, actually hardly any at all on my end, at least compared to the others I've tried. There is kind of a fruity smell, kind of like floral hops or even a tiny bit of ester. The sweet oatmeal comes through in the taste. There's also a coffee and dark malt bitterness. I can even taste a bit f hoppiness, like a faint taste of grass clippings. It's actually a very complex and nice tasting beer. Though I think a bit more deep, malty sweetness with the slight floral taste dialed down could make it better. The mouthfeel is wonderful. Firstly, there's so much to seek out. But it's not astringent at all,well balanced, no alcohol harshness. The only thing that gets me is a little bit of slickness. This one gets to me quickly. It's not too tough to drink, though I don't think it's easy, but I wouldn't dare to reach for a second. One whole 500mL bottle might push it a bit. (1,047 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -25.5%

Overall this is a decent beer. Nothing to run out and buy at your earliest possible opportunity.

This beers pours a nice deep, dark, robust brown, with a nice head to top it off. Aroma is nothing special. Although you do notice subtle hints of coffee/cocoa.

The addition of coffee adds a bit too much astringency and overly roasted coffee bean flavors. Because of this, you'd never drink more than on in any given session.

Mouthfeel is nothing to write home about...just average. There is nothing about that stands out amongst other beers.

As far as drinkability goes...definitely not a session beer, nor is it a beer you'd really order more than one of, if you were out at a bar. You'd more than likely opt for something along the same beer profile, but with just a little more of a happy ending.

If you like oatmeal stouts, try it. Although, you won't like it enough to stock your beer cellar with. (905 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -23.6%

On tap at blue dog landsdale.

A- black as night with a faint tan ring.

S- the darkest roasted espresso on earth and raw cocoa beans. Burt malts and more burt malts. Hints of dates in the background.

T- burt coffee and chocolate with some deep roasted malts and dark fruits. Pumpernickle bread and licorice. The longest linger ever.

M- not quite thin bodied and a mid level carb.

D- not for me. Very roasty and burt but lacking a finer balance. (453 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Pours syrupy, very dark brow/black. A one finger moka colored head. Dissipated quite slowly, nice microfoam. Amazing retention.

S: Mild coffee smell. Dark fruit (but very light), moka. Alcohol is pretty much non existent. Coffee is greting more intense as it warms.

T: Extremely coffee forward taste. There is a bitterness that I would compare to bitter coffee (not a hop bitterness). A mixture of port and orange rind, although extremely difficult to extinguish behind the coffee flavor.

M: a ton of carbonation for the style, doesn't feel as thick as it poured.

O: Too much coffee, it overpowers any other flavor that might be present. The coffee bitterness is pretty overwhelming (an I'm also a coffee geek). A little too much carbonation for the style. I was pretty excited about this beer but it fell short with me. Probably won't be having this again. (864 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -22.9%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Dark roasted coffee, wholesome oat bread graininess. Some soba noodle.

Taste: Rugged roasty flavors that are not at all smooth. Heavily roasted coffee is prominent with a bit of soy sauce. The middle has an 'aged in wood' note with a unique woody/coffee almost sour roasty flavor profile that is intense. Finish is quite bitter coffee with some sweet wood notes that dries out quite a bit as it lingers.

Notes: Just a little to rough and rugged for me to really enjoy. (500 characters)

Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS