Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Mikkeller ApS visit their website
Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

(Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006)

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Via bottle

A: Looks amazing. Nothing looks better than a great stout

S: superb. burnt malts, roasty, nutty, light hop scent, maple, and coffee

T: a nice blend of coffee, malts, with overnotes of maple syrup, nuts, and a touch of honey. Dry finish, I was expecting some more sweetness, but I'll live.

M: Thick and syrupy. Feels amazing.

O: Very good. Worth the money if you see it, but I feel that there are better stouts out there.

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

A 500ml bottle with a BB of July 2016. Batch no. 659, brewed (or bottled) on the 13th July 2011. Purchased from my local beer specialist - this might be the most expensive beer I've tried to date.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. An exceptionally dark brown with hints of ruby; appears completely black in the glass and when held to the light. Yields a massive head of creamy brown foam with excellent retention; this eventually subsides. Darkest head I've seen yet. Intense aroma of roasted coffee/malt with notes of cocoa and burnt grain.

Tastes of roasted coffee and malt with a dry, bitter finish. Intense notes of roasted coffee, roasted malt and burnt grain, with undertones of cocoa, liquorice, earthy yeast and stewed hops. Mouthfeel is thick and velvety, with tingly carbonation and a dry, spicy character. Astringent. Aftertaste of bitter coffee and roasted malt.

What a beer! An amazing blend of coffee and dark malt with a fantastic aroma and flavour. The mouthfeel is incredible; the most viscous beer I've tried. A world-class brew and well worth your time (and money).

3.7/5  rDev -10%

This is supposedly an '08 vintage. Poured into stemless snifter at around cellar temp.

A- Super large amount of tan(ish)/light brown head. This recedes very slowly in a deflating parachute fashion. The beer itself is the usual dark, dark, pretty much black common to the style. This head won't go away!

S- The smell on this tells me the chances of it being an '08 vintage are likely. No coffee at all! Dark chocolate and sweet molasses, some roast character, but it is faint. I get whiffs of "soy sauce" or that umami thing. The more I think about it the more I notice the oat shining through. It really smells a bit like oatmeal, lots of grain character, sweet grains. I do detect some alcohol coming through the end. Lots of raisin, plum, prune, and fig mixed with chocolate covered graham crackers and oatmeal. This is not typically what you think of when talking about Beer Geek Breakfast, but it isn't bad.

T- Very similar to what is in the aroma. A bit more bitter dark chocolate though, and just barely some coffee coming through. I am surprised how much of the hop character is still hanging around, and I would actually prefer it to be a bit sweeter.

M- Too much carbonation for the flavor profile of the beer at this age. It distracts too much of the subtle flavors at work here. When it is all coffee, roast, and hops, the carbonation works, but not now.

O- The guy at the beer store was very proud to announce that this was an '08, and the price point was any more expensive so I said, "what the hell?" It isn't a bad beer, but it isn't something I would go out of the way to age and or try. The aroma is actually quite complex and enjoyable, but the flavor did not match up. Maybe a couple more years? But then again, that sounds ridiculous. Drink this beer fresh!

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

For me, Mikkeller is usually hit or miss, but usually the stouts are spot on and this one didn't disappoint.

A - Fun one to pour. The beer cascaded almost as if poured from a nitro tap then left a monster head. I poured into a pint glass and should have probably used a snifter or something smaller, but the head made me wait for the beer to warm up a little and enjoy its smell

S- Coffee, coffee, coffee. I love that smell and could smell this beer all day long.

T- Much of what I was expecting. Dry, roasted, coffee. I could seriously drink this for breakfast. Lingering flavors are dry, roasty, oats.

M- Perfectly smooth. I like my stouts to have a little extra thickness. In this case I would have liked the coffee to feel more like an esspresso, but probably only because it tasted like I was drinking one.

O- I will for sure go back to this one if I can find it again. Coffee stouts are my favorite type of stouts and this one is spot on. Good job Mikkeller.

Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller ApS