Beer Geek Breakfast - Mikkeller ApS

Denmark

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Goldorak on 03-10-2006

Brewed at Nøgne Ø.

Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.7/5  rDev -10%

This is supposedly an '08 vintage. Poured into stemless snifter at around cellar temp.

A- Super large amount of tan(ish)/light brown head. This recedes very slowly in a deflating parachute fashion. The beer itself is the usual dark, dark, pretty much black common to the style. This head won't go away!

S- The smell on this tells me the chances of it being an '08 vintage are likely. No coffee at all! Dark chocolate and sweet molasses, some roast character, but it is faint. I get whiffs of "soy sauce" or that umami thing. The more I think about it the more I notice the oat shining through. It really smells a bit like oatmeal, lots of grain character, sweet grains. I do detect some alcohol coming through the end. Lots of raisin, plum, prune, and fig mixed with chocolate covered graham crackers and oatmeal. This is not typically what you think of when talking about Beer Geek Breakfast, but it isn't bad.

T- Very similar to what is in the aroma. A bit more bitter dark chocolate though, and just barely some coffee coming through. I am surprised how much of the hop character is still hanging around, and I would actually prefer it to be a bit sweeter.

M- Too much carbonation for the flavor profile of the beer at this age. It distracts too much of the subtle flavors at work here. When it is all coffee, roast, and hops, the carbonation works, but not now.

O- The guy at the beer store was very proud to announce that this was an '08, and the price point was any more expensive so I said, "what the hell?" It isn't a bad beer, but it isn't something I would go out of the way to age and or try. The aroma is actually quite complex and enjoyable, but the flavor did not match up. Maybe a couple more years? But then again, that sounds ridiculous. Drink this beer fresh!

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%

For me, Mikkeller is usually hit or miss, but usually the stouts are spot on and this one didn't disappoint.

A - Fun one to pour. The beer cascaded almost as if poured from a nitro tap then left a monster head. I poured into a pint glass and should have probably used a snifter or something smaller, but the head made me wait for the beer to warm up a little and enjoy its smell

S- Coffee, coffee, coffee. I love that smell and could smell this beer all day long.

T- Much of what I was expecting. Dry, roasted, coffee. I could seriously drink this for breakfast. Lingering flavors are dry, roasty, oats.

M- Perfectly smooth. I like my stouts to have a little extra thickness. In this case I would have liked the coffee to feel more like an esspresso, but probably only because it tasted like I was drinking one.

O- I will for sure go back to this one if I can find it again. Coffee stouts are my favorite type of stouts and this one is spot on. Good job Mikkeller.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

A: You can't get much more perfect than this. Its normally easy to judge the appearance of a stout, but this was was all the while much easier too. Black as can be with a dark tan head that sinks back into the beer from whence it came, leaving only a thin layer of mocha froth on top and lacing on the sides.

S: The coffee comes though really well carried by it's poignant roast notes. There is what I would call a mid-range sweetness coming through in the form of dark chocolate. Alcohol is clearly present and it smells like it's stronger than what it really is.

T: There is no chocolate in this beer, it is all coffee. Ground espresso and freshly roasted coffee beans dominate the flavor profile. There is a discernible bitterness on the finish that cleans up the beer nicely.

M: Full bodied, highly carbonated, and sticky-cloyingly sweet.

D: Do I even have to say? It's defiantly a sipping beer, and one of the best stouts that I have ever had.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Beer Geek Breakfast is a tasty but not especially "big" imperial stout.

A: Black colour and 15 mm head that fades to good lacing. 4.5

S: Smooth milky and malty coffee. 4

T: Malty with some milky coffee . A little green and bitter in the finish. Slight sourness. 4

M: Foamy and big. 4.5